Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...

Danny Richie

Re: Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...
« Reply #200 on: 2 Jun 2008, 04:27 pm »
I reponded to your PM on this.

We ship to Australia all the time so it will be no problem.

kyrill

« Reply #201 on: 11 Jun 2008, 10:10 pm »
Gosh
I read all the pages starting at page 1

forgive me i still want to ask:
What is the difference that makes the difference between Brian's
servo sub and Danny's servo sub sound wise , except the that Gr-research offers a 16 ohm true dipole OB
servo woofer?

Is it the "magic"of paper cones?  ( C37 theory? ) IS this advantage also "observed" ehh heard in practice?

Danny Richie

« Reply #202 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:05 am »
The paper cone is a little lighter weight and the T/S parameters are slightly different.

I also tend to prefer the sound of the paper based cones.

So far I only know of one guy that has both Brian's earlier metal cone woofer and my new paper cone woofer and he preferred the paper cone one.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
Nay sayers are wrong
« Reply #203 on: 15 Jun 2008, 05:06 pm »
A gentleman talked to me over the phone mentioning that some people commented to him that the servo sub is "slow" because the sensor takes time to respond. It is a technology of the past.  Once a comment like that published in a forum, it becomes printed in the book, regardless if it is true or false.  Our servo is based on sensing coil, and it does not have any additional mechanical assembly (unlike the accelerometer-based design, which is a mass attached to a pressure sensitive material to sense the interia of mass acting on the material). There is no mechanical delay in our voice coil assmebly.  Also the location of the sensing coil is "co-centered" with driver coil, immersed in the same magnetic gap. The moment the driver coils starts to move, the sensing coil will detect that and start reacting. In other words, the distance between sensing coil and driver coil is "zero".  This is very different from accelerometer-based approach, which places the sensor on the cone under the dust cap. There is a finite distance between the voice coil and the accelerometer, it takes the time equals to the distance divided by the media speed of voice coil former/cone to determine the response time. It is the same with another approach used in Germany that put the sensing coil in its own magnet gap. We don't have those problems.  If the so called "slow" being refer to the extra length on the voice coil, that is even less understandable. Voice coil is used both for driving and sensing. If the voice coil is slow for sensing, won't that also slow for driver coil?  Does that mean all voice coil based speakers will be slow?  The wire length used in voice coil is probably shorter than the transformer in a tube amp. Does that mean the tube amps will sound even slower?  Better yet, get rid of the inductors in xover networks. Get rid of the inductor in our FM radio because they are so slow that they cannot even respond to a 100Mhz signal. Sorry for the rambling. 
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2008, 07:00 pm by rythmik »

nodiak

« Reply #204 on: 15 Jun 2008, 07:11 pm »
I'm no tech but in using the q adjustments, phase, xo, and placement the sealed sub is clean and "quick" enough to not change the sonic character of the ob bass drivers I'm using (which can't go as low). It easily keeps up (and has beaten some other obs I've tried in the clean/quick department). I bought this 4 ohm sealed version before the ob models came out and will try them at some point, curious about their extra eq controls. Have used both the aluminum and paper cone drivers with same results. I have a room with lots of bass lift and can adjust the sub in here from heavy room loading for movies to just filling in the bottom octave with a touch of weight for music. Works for me.
Don

KS

Re: Nay sayers are wrong
« Reply #205 on: 16 Jun 2008, 02:23 pm »
A gentleman talked to me over the phone mentioning that some people commented to him that the servo sub is "slow" because the sensor takes time to respond. ... The moment the driver coils starts to move, the sensing coil will detect that and start reacting.
Everything takes time.  Electrons travel through a copper wire at about 299,492,665 meters per second*...that's fast enough for me, but maybe not for that gentleman.  Did you ask him how fast he's like it to be?

*About 99.9% of the speed of light through a vacuum.  Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, unless Einstein was wrong.

kyrill

« Reply #206 on: 16 Jun 2008, 03:08 pm »
einstein is right in a local time/space continuum

but those local time/space continuum maybe used as a "vehicle" (around a space ship) to travel faster than light

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #207 on: 16 Jun 2008, 05:05 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

There has been some misceptions about Audio posted on the web. I have even heard comments as amplifier feedback is bad because it takes time to respond. A statement like this is overly simplified. All circuits use feedback, the only difference is global feedback and local feedback. Local feedback does not mean it will respond faster in time.  Now, in one hand, I have a tube amp which has a physical distance of say 5 inches between the tube and its "local" feedback resistor (such as follower resistor), and in the other hand, I have a self-contained chip power amp (with die size of 5mmx5mm) and we put a global feedback right on the top of the die so that the global feedback travel less than 1 inch distance. So which one will respond faster between the two? Feedback mechanism is everywhere, a power amp draws current, cause the supply voltage to drop and consequently change output is another form of feedback (that is why we have bypss filter to improve the stability at high frequencies). Feedback can be bad because of other reasons (such as stability and memory effect only when it is not designed properly), not because of speed. Sorry for hijacking the thread. 

BTW, there was a big news about the memsistor (memory resistor) which is said to complement already well known resistor, capacitor, and inductor to form a more complete circuit theory that can even represents something like hysteresis memory effect. We will see how that helps us to understand circuit better.     
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2008, 06:15 pm by rythmik »

mumford

« Reply #208 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:04 pm »
I am planning on ordering two dual 12" subwoofer kits, probably in sealed enclosures utilizing push-pull configuration. 

Can someone tell me what are the differences between the GR Audio version and the Rythmik version?  Cone materials?

mumford

« Reply #209 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:38 pm »
Also, is the XLR version of the plate amp available?  It is not an option available in the shopping cart.

kyrill

« Reply #210 on: 21 Jun 2008, 08:30 am »
hi mumford
welcome here too :)

yes the GR has a cone material based on paper while Rythmik has a more sturdy non paper cone
both approaches has advantages and disadvantages over the other

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #211 on: 21 Jun 2008, 01:29 pm »
hi mumford
welcome here too :)

yes the GR has a cone material based on paper while Rythmik has a more sturdy non paper cone
both approaches has advantages and disadvantages over the other

Thanks. Kyrill.  Here is a bit background of how it all started. My first servo subwoofer driver was paper cone (6 years ago). After I switched supplier 4 years ago, the new supplier was only interested in making alu cone.  During that transition time, I have a customers who made a side-by-side comparison and his review is on our review page. The sounds were very similar between those two. It is not surprising, both have the same frequency between 60hz and 5hz. Both have very low intrinsic Q (approximately Q=0.3 in box), both have the same output Q (determined by extension filter with Q=0.5 at high damping setting).  The differences are at the microscopic level where paper cone is lighter and will sound more dynamic at low to moderate listening levels. The alu cone is stiffer and it is better controlled at high SPL level. But the downside is heavier.  We have tried to use lighter voice coil to compensate for that, so it is not really too bad. Still it is not as light as paper. I have not had a paper cone driver for quite sometime until me and Danny work together again. That is when I thought we should offer complementary products. I didn't intend to stir up the debate between paper and alu cones.  Anyway, here is the general guideline:

If one wants to xover at 100hz (up to 120hz, or 150hz with some restriction such as the sub level plays at least 3db hotter), paper cone is absolutely recommended over alu cone in our product line-up. If you xover at 80hz (or 100hz if one plays sub at 3db hotter), both will be fine. If one xovers at 100hz or higher, stereo subs are recommended

Of course, paper cone will always be more affordable. Two months from now, we will have a A300SE amplifier, which will be priced cheaper than current A370 series amps, that would be a good match for those can use a slightly larger enclosure for SW12-4 drivers and would like to save money.

BTW, I just want to clarify one thing as there are some people getting bad taste of alu cone from other places.  When I used close mic measurement on our alu cone drivers, the first cone breakup is at 900hz. If we limited the frequency response to say, 80hz, it takes an 11th order harmonic distortion component of that 80hz signal to excite that resonance. This is very different from alu midrange driver where filters cannot filter out distortion components generated from driver itself (the distortion component that is absent in input where xover filters, or even the most fancy digital equalization gears,  are completely useless).  A lot of times, it ended up with the cone break-up resonace being too close to the xover frequencies. Our alu subs have way more guardband in that regard.

Our first order in driver design is to keep moving mass low with reasonable trade-off such as alu cone. I've seen people cited Dan Wiggin's paper that cone mass does not affect bass speed.  I don't agree with Dan's view because the bass speed has noting to do with how fast the bass starts, but it is all about  how fast the bass stops. The first impression that listeners get from our servo subs is "man, that bass can really stop on a dime". That fully controlled bass rhythm is what makes music enjoyable. Look at from the theroretical point of view, what does low moving mass change (assuming everything else is same)?  It lowers Qts and in sealed box, the Qts determines the Q value of the roll-off which in turn determines the extent of time domain ringing. Lower Q has less ringing. One of the objectives of servo is to work along that line of argument to bring that Q value to something that traditional nonservo subs difficult to achieve. A 12" driver in 1.5 to 2 cu ft sealed box with total Qts of 0.3? That is very difficult to achive with nonservo drivers.

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2008, 07:05 pm by rythmik »

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #212 on: 24 Jun 2008, 09:25 pm »
Brian or Danny,
For the amps:
Is there a preference on whether one or both inputs are used on the rca input -or I guess I might as well ask-on speaker level input?

Also which way did the gain get adjusted on the amps? I find myself turning it up very close to max...  :icon_twisted:

-Tony

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #213 on: 24 Jun 2008, 10:51 pm »
Brian or Danny,
For the amps:
Is there a preference on whether one or both inputs are used on the rca input -or I guess I might as well ask-on speaker level input?

Also which way did the gain get adjusted on the amps? I find myself turning it up very close to max...  :icon_twisted:

-Tony

Tony,

If you use Y cable to connect both channels, the gain increases by 6db.  The speaker level input is recommended only when you cannot use RCA input. 

The position of the volume control can be high for two cases: 1) high efficiency front speakers which means your pre-amp output signal will be lower to the power amp to drive both front speakers and our plate amp. High gain power amp has the same effect. 2) set the xover at the lower end of the xover range.  One can imagine it as a highpass filter followed by a very close lowpass filter to  become a bandpass filter and the peak of that bandpass will be reduced which means the effective gain of the sub is also lower. In other words if does not make sense if you set the xover at 25hz and then set the extension filter to 20hz. It can imply a need to re-adjusting some settings.

If your case is one of the two, you should be ok as long as the gain is still enough for you even at full open position.  It is also easy to change the gain if that becomes a problem. All we need to do is to swap out the servo board.  I don't recommend unnecessary amplification (for the same reason I don't recommend speaker level input, there is no point of amplifying a signal by 20x and then bringing it down by 1/10 x using a potentiometer, I would rather just amplify it by 2x).  So unless one really has the problem, don't need to fix it. 

Which model do you have, 4/8/16ohm?

-Brian

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #214 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:44 am »
I had used this sub with the ob7's which are said to be 90.5db sensitive, and now trying it with the ob2x which I believe are 86-87db sensitive.

I have the peq off, and the xover set at a little above the 50 mark. 14 and 20 on the one switch, tried both mid and low damping, and set the low pass to ext/12.

I do have a large room these are playing into, but sit only 8 feet away.

I use a ps audio c-100 integrated amp, which has a seperate left and right output. It is unbuffered and I was told that the speaker level connections would be better for sound quality on any sub amplifier connection that was under 50ohms impedence. I don't know the gain because they didn't bother to specify it...probably 27db or more

The sub amp is the dual woofer option a370peq and the woofers are the 16 ohm version, in the w frame per Danny's plans.

How much break in time would you say that the woofers need?

Thanks for the help!

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #215 on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:50 am »
I had used this sub with the ob7's which are said to be 90.5db sensitive, and now trying it with the ob2x which I believe are 86-87db sensitive.

I have the peq off, and the xover set at a little above the 50 mark. 14 and 20 on the one switch, tried both mid and low damping, and set the low pass to ext/12.

I do have a large room these are playing into, but sit only 8 feet away.

I use a ps audio c-100 integrated amp, which has a seperate left and right output. It is unbuffered and I was told that the speaker level connections would be better for sound quality on any sub amplifier connection that was under 50ohms impedence. I don't know the gain because they didn't bother to specify it...probably 27db or more

The sub amp is the dual woofer option a370peq and the woofers are the 16 ohm version, in the w frame per Danny's plans.

How much break in time would you say that the woofers need?

Thanks for the help!

Please try 50hz/24db as you definitely need steeper slope so that the requirement for phase adjustment is not too dramatic. Even after you set to 50hz/24, I would set phase control to 11 o'clock to 2 o'clock position to see if that fills up the bass energy more.  Since you don't have filtering on ob2x, your phase shift from the front speakers is 90 degrees phase lead.  If you use a 12/ext setting, your sub most likely will have a 90degrees phase lag. That is a 180 phase difference. So how to add additional 180 degrees to the sub to get phase aligned? We have two options. First,  turn the phase control to 180 degrees. However, the slower 12db roll-off means we expose the sub to a larger overlapped band that phase misalignment is more likely to happen. Second option is to use 24db roll-off instead of 12db roll-off. It will add 90 degrees by that, then use phase control to add another 90 degrees.  So in my previous email, I should  have added a case 3), that is,  you may have volume control high because of phase misaligned.  Since our hearing sensitivity increases from 20hz to 80hz fairly fast, if you have a null at say 50hz, you will definitely feel the bass energy less than adequate and hence turn up the volume. that means you need a lot of energy at the bottom end to compensate that effect and cause the volume to set higher.  Phase alignment is the most difficult part of the setup. I am lucky because I have a data acquisition system and I can use close-mic technique to accurately capture the phase relation.  You can achieve similar results by doing a bit more work using an SPL meter and a test tone CD. I use that method too.  What you will do is:
1) record the response at the front speaker by placing the mic next to the front speaker woofer. It will accurately tell you where you -3db (or even -6db) point is. However, the limitation is it works only for sealed box speakers.
2) record the response at the sub only by placing the mic next to the sub. It will also accurately tell you where your -3db (-6db) is. In the case of OB, you need to add +6db/oct because of OB cancellation.  Again it works only for sealed/ob sub.
3) record the response at the listening position of the response from front speakers only. It give you idea how serious the room mode and where they are.  Also we need to use 1khz response to level set the reference level. All of the reading should be compared to the reading from 1khz.  Reading from 1khz at close mic is not as reliable.  The reason to pick 1khz is that it is found the room response above 300hz is way more reliable and less sensitive to wall reflections.  A lot of people use 1khz as the reference level to level set subwoofer too.
4) record the response at the listening position of for sub only.
5) record the response at the listening position of sub plus front to find if they fill up the xover point well enough. and energy is 3)+4). If not, we have a phase misaligned. 

Several trial-and-error iterations are needed and a spreadsheet will help us pick up which combination is best. Also I have found running the sub 3-6db hotter in general sound more full body and close to our live experience.

As for the argument that speaker level input sounds better, I would say it is case dependent.  The input impedance of our plate amp is 24kohm which is very reasonable.  If the interconnect distance is too long, one should consider XLR input. Using speaker level input adds the coloration from the power amp. Occasionally this coloration may sound better.  But I cannot agree to use it as a general guideline. But that is just my 2cents.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2008, 12:46 pm by rythmik »

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #216 on: 25 Jun 2008, 02:43 am »
Ok, I thought the 50hz/24db setting on the low-pass switch would be doubling what the xover dial was going to do. I got more output with it set to ext/12, thats why i wasn't using it -quite scientific right?!  :o

I have a behringer mic and computer software that should be able to produce all of those plots pretty well.

Not sure if I made myself clear enough  -the purpose of using the speaker level instead of rca level was to avoid bogging down the preamp on the integrated and lose performance on the mains, not so much the subwoofer performance. However this c-100 is very neutral, I think.

thanks again.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #217 on: 25 Jun 2008, 03:33 am »
Ok, I thought the 50hz/24db setting on the low-pass switch would be doubling what the xover dial was going to do. I got more output with it set to ext/12, thats why i wasn't using it -quite scientific right?!  :o

I have a behringer mic and computer software that should be able to produce all of those plots pretty well.

Not sure if I made myself clear enough  -the purpose of using the speaker level instead of rca level was to avoid bogging down the preamp on the integrated and lose performance on the mains, not so much the subwoofer performance. However this c-100 is very neutral, I think.

thanks again.

Tony,

You are not alone in thinking that less filtering is better  :wink: I have even heard people keep mentioning double filtering.  That is why L-R filter is so significant as a break-through because they demonstrate there exist one filters in 2nd order, one filter in 4th order, and one filter in 8th order that can do 1) completely phase alignment  between two side of the xover, and 2) constant energy after you summing the two. By going to the lowest order filtering does not make it easier to get phase alignment.   

Now I understand the reason for speaker level input. Actually there is another way to find out. You can plug in the RCA interconnect to the plate amp,  set the plate amp power switch to off. The red light will be on, and you can then compare the front speaker sound to the case when the interconnect is not plugged in your amp.

It takes about 1 -2 weeks to let the driver fully break-in, assuming 2 hours per day use pattern. 

-Brian
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2008, 12:37 pm by rythmik »

kyrill

« Reply #218 on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:20 pm »
Brian

I already ordered 2 PEQ amps at "Danny's place"
but i am still curious
Does the amp use input capacitors and would soundwise
the amp benefit if i replace them with "audiophile" caps?

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #219 on: 29 Jun 2008, 11:04 pm »
Brian

I already ordered 2 PEQ amps at "Danny's place"
but i am still curious
Does the amp use input capacitors and would soundwise
the amp benefit if i replace them with "audiophile" caps?

There is only one input capcitor in the entire chain of audio signal and I have chosen to use panasonic 2.7uF metalized polyester cap (it is the input decoupling cap of the servo power amp). It is the biggest cap on the servo board. It is pretty good already. Let me explain a bit on the difference between the caps used in electronics and the cap used in xover. xover is a low impedance network. That means current carrying capability is very important (6A, 10A is the norm). So it is necessary to use those physically huge caps on the xover network. On the other hand, the caps in the eletronics does not need that type of current carrying capability.  That being said, I AM able to hear the sound difference between electrolytic caps and polyester caps and that is why you will not see me using eletrolytic caps on any of the signal paths.  If you insist on trying special caps, send them to me and I will put them in for you. 
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2008, 02:28 am by rythmik »