Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...

aiden

Re: Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...
« Reply #180 on: 22 May 2008, 12:35 am »
I just can't stay anonymous.  Danny, it's me David.  The next time I'm in WF I'll try and stop by so I can hear these miracles.  I'm assuming you've got some ready for demos by now.  And yeah, I know owe you a phone call.  :P  Thanks for the responses everyone.

gprro

« Reply #181 on: 22 May 2008, 05:48 am »
Curiosity question. The bass of an LS-9 vs. a couple or few servo's?

WerTicus

« Reply #182 on: 22 May 2008, 06:42 am »
Danny if you were to take rythmiks 2cu ft box design and use your driver and the amp designed for it - would this lead to a bottoming out of the woofer due to the larger than recommended air space?  If so 'anyone' could just take that design and reduce the internal volume by 50% to get the correct litres.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #183 on: 22 May 2008, 12:01 pm »
ok, what is the best price for a ready-to-go, out-the-door three-driver sub, w/forward-facing drivers installed in the cabinet?  and, two options - outboard amp, or amp also installed in the cabinet?   8)

doug s.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #184 on: 22 May 2008, 01:11 pm »
If you are talking about a non-OB sub cabinet, then I don't think you can run 3 of these servo drivers off of one of those amps. 2 drivers at 8 ohm, or 1 driver at 4 ohm is recommended.

The first one is a 4 ohm woofer. Optimal sealed is 1.2 to 1.5 cubic feet of air space. Yes the box is that small. Plus the servo keeps the woofer flat to 20Hz. It not only adds power as needed but slams on the breaks too keeping it in control in a way that no other sub can compare.

The second woofer has parameters just like the first one but is an 8 ohm woofer. This allows you to parallel both woofers onto one amp. This further decreases distortion by cutting the output level to each sub in half, and increase maximum SPL levels as needed.

The third woofer is a completely different animal. It is a high Qts design (just over .7 Qts) specifically designed to work in free air, in open baffles, or in infinite baffle configurations. This woofer will give you the control of a boxed woofer plus a flat response to 20Hz. These are a 16 ohm version allowing you to run two or three woofers off of one amp. This could easily be the number one solution out there for dipole bass designs.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #185 on: 22 May 2008, 01:19 pm »
If you are talking about a non-OB sub cabinet, then I don't think you can run 3 of these servo drivers off of one of those amps. 2 drivers at 8 ohm, or 1 driver at 4 ohm is recommended.

The first one is a 4 ohm woofer. Optimal sealed is 1.2 to 1.5 cubic feet of air space. Yes the box is that small. Plus the servo keeps the woofer flat to 20Hz. It not only adds power as needed but slams on the breaks too keeping it in control in a way that no other sub can compare.

The second woofer has parameters just like the first one but is an 8 ohm woofer. This allows you to parallel both woofers onto one amp. This further decreases distortion by cutting the output level to each sub in half, and increase maximum SPL levels as needed.

The third woofer is a completely different animal. It is a high Qts design (just over .7 Qts) specifically designed to work in free air, in open baffles, or in infinite baffle configurations. This woofer will give you the control of a boxed woofer plus a flat response to 20Hz. These are a 16 ohm version allowing you to run two or three woofers off of one amp. This could easily be the number one solution out there for dipole bass designs.

wrong.  three 16 ohm drivers is also recommended.   :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47310.msg489551#msg489551

doug s.

WerTicus

« Reply #186 on: 22 May 2008, 02:11 pm »
yes 3, 16ohm drivers are recommended but they are not recommended for anything but open baffle designs.  because of the high q

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #187 on: 22 May 2008, 02:29 pm »
yes 3, 16ohm drivers are recommended but they are not recommended for anything but open baffle designs.  because of the high q
if one is recommended in a 1.5cu-ft sealed box, then why not 3 in a 4.5cu-ft sealed box?  is the q for the 16 ohm wersion higher than the q for the 8 ohm wersion?  if so, then i want to know the out-the-door price for the 2-driver 15" iteration in a sealed box.   :green:

doug s.

WerTicus

« Reply #188 on: 22 May 2008, 03:16 pm »
what volume of air are you going to be putting two 8ohms into marbles?

1.5 or 3 ft^2?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #189 on: 22 May 2008, 03:35 pm »
Marbles,
Other than looking very cool is there anything special about that type of box? Is it technologically superior in some way in regards to resonance or something?

-Tony

nodiak

« Reply #190 on: 22 May 2008, 04:33 pm »
Marbles, down firing?
I now have one 4 ohm sub (GR paper cone, 1.5cf cab,correct servo board from Brian) and am thinking of eventually going with what you're doing (sans the artful cabs), tho front firing is cleanest in my room (suspended wood floor, older construction, only 12' wide). Several subs should be good for finding best placements of individual subs.
I've used my sub with sealed and OB main speakers, work great xo at 40-60. Was thinking of going stereo OB version (3 drivers/side) but may not worry as the sealed blends well with the OB mains have tried. Of course I don't know what I'm missing with OB subs...
These products are new to market so it will be great to read what experiences everyone has!
Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #191 on: 22 May 2008, 04:36 pm »
I love you guys answering each others questions. You guys are really starting to get this all figured out.

And the "FR" on the end of the part number for the SW-12-16FR is for "free air".

They were designed to play in free air. They work great in infinite baffles too.

You could get real crazy and put each of them in a 17 cubic foot ported box and get a -3db of 13Hz without the servo control system even having to add gain.

WerTicus

« Reply #192 on: 22 May 2008, 05:25 pm »
if one wanted to put two 8ohm drivers into a sealed box what would be the optimal volume of air?

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
Direct Servo sub at VSAC 2008
« Reply #193 on: 22 May 2008, 05:34 pm »
Our sub will be demo'ed in Audible Improvements' Booth at VSAC 2008, May 22 - 26 Vancouver, WA Hilton hotel, room 357. For those who plan to visit or is interested in hearing it, please drop by.

Brian

Danny Richie

« Reply #194 on: 22 May 2008, 05:40 pm »
if one wanted to put two 8ohm drivers into a sealed box what would be the optimal volume of air?

1.5 to 1.6 cubic feet of air space per woofer.

nodiak

« Reply #195 on: 22 May 2008, 06:40 pm »
With the two 8 ohm drivers, each in it's own 1.5 cab, with one amp:
If I keep the xo 40hz, do you think they can be placed on opposite sides of my 12' wide room? I'd be ok with keeping them closer together, just wondered others experiences with this.
This would be a step towards stereo subs eventually. For now I'd like to experience the output of 2 x 8 ohmers with one amp  8).
Don

nodiak

« Reply #196 on: 22 May 2008, 06:45 pm »
Thanks Marbles. Man, my floor is like a soundboard so I've had trouble with downfiring other subs. I can try these that way tho sometime, see if they're better for that. I have a tradition of purple subs, for some reason, with plants on top. Those will be really nice, are you going to spray them with dog repellent? :lol:
Don

Christof

« Reply #197 on: 24 May 2008, 01:58 pm »
Marbles,
Other than looking very cool is there anything special about that type of box? Is it technologically superior in some way in regards to resonance or something?

-Tony

Using this truncated geometric form (Rhombicubeoctahedron) one can build an enclosure which minimizes panel size and is very rigid.  Rob's subs will have no sides larger than 14"x14" yet still have 1.5" thick walls and a 2.0cu.ft internal volume.  A typical cube shaped enclosure of the same thickness and volume would need to have approx 18" x 18" sides.  In theory one should be able to use less material thickness and have an enclosure that is just as strong or stronger than a traditional cube of the same volume.  Not sure if it makes much of a difference when the wavelengths are so large but it can't hurt to try.

One for Rob....

« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 05:53 pm by Christof »

TomS

« Reply #198 on: 30 May 2008, 02:36 pm »
Very nice work  :thumb:

Those are gonna rock the house for sure

WerTicus

« Reply #199 on: 31 May 2008, 12:12 pm »
I'm trying to order 6 woofers but it just says at the end of the checkout,

"Select Your Shipping Method

Please review and provide the requested information.

You must select a shipping method.

No Shipping Rates available for your shipping address"

And wont let me progress... does this mean you cant ship to Australia?
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2008, 02:18 pm by WerTicus »