Which way is the wind blowing with HD/Blue Ray?

Ears

Re: Which way is the wind blowing with HD/Blue Ray?
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:54 pm »
Circuit City to dump the hd dvd format from stores...saying they expect their competitors to be doing the same soon.

http://www.1080living.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17

This is great news and hopefully every major chain will be dropping hd dvd so we can get the real war with Blu-ray vs DVD started, and the "pillow fight" hd dvd put up can end completely.

"Pillow fight" is a good description of the kindergarten fight between Blu-ray and HD-DVD (which I think you mean, not DVD). 
With the growth of non-physical media in the audio sector: ipod/squeezebox etc, the physical media paradigm that has already happened here will quickly spread to video. 

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/18/jobs_on_bluray_hddvd/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22673034

If the two format camps had got their act together, and developed a unified standard, they may have stood a chance.  Too late - both formats have lost.

I just don't see people wanting to watch movies on some tiny screen, or low bit rate 720p HD light. with dvd audio at best.
In the U.S., bigger is king when it comes to movies as the constantly sold out IMAX showings and ever increasing display size averages prove beyond a doubt.

In 09, many more people will have hdtv's as compared to now.
hd dvd's pending death will help with Blu-ray being the only viable HDM format to go along with those new hdtv displays, and when those new owners see the difference between Blu-ray and dvd, a lot of them will opt for Blu-ray which will continue to come down in price just like dvd did.

Your choice of analogy, as with pillow fight, is again pretty accurate.
IMAX is niche 'product' that has a small market share, just like Blu-Ray/DVD.

The old NTSC standard is a joke all around the world, consequently the gap between NTSC and 720p/1080i/1080p is huge. The introduction of  standard DVD, native format or upconverted, is more than enough for the majority of the US market.  They'll just get their HD content from cable or satellite providers, with Bose surround sound and hard drive based recorders built into their equipment. 
Last year I was over in Europe and saw high def demonstrations: with smaller screen sizes and the superior PAL system, the extra performance gap with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD exists but it is nowhere near as dramatic and has less interest/value to motivate consumers to embrace the change.

RIP High Def media.     

I meant how Imax is always sold out when there are many 24 screen multiplexes showing the same movies in DLP or THX theaters.
With music, you are correct, with HD media, you could not be more wrong as the masses do not need to go to a high end brick and morter to see/hear the difference in crappy downloads vs BLU.
They can see it everywhere from Wall Mart to Best Buy, and everywhere in between.

I find it very interesting that a lot of vocal hd dvd supporters like yourself, now turn to this argument because your format of choice has no chance instead of embracing Blu.

It just goes to show there are movie fans, and there are format fans, but they are not always one in the same.

Philistine

« Reply #101 on: 27 Jan 2008, 06:39 pm »
Circuit City to dump the hd dvd format from stores...saying they expect their competitors to be doing the same soon.

This is great news and hopefully every major chain will be dropping hd dvd so we can get the real war with Blu-ray vs DVD started, and the "pillow fight" hd dvd put up can end completely.

"Pillow fight" is a good description of the kindergarten fight between Blu-ray and HD-DVD (which I think you mean, not DVD). 
With the growth of non-physical media in the audio sector: ipod/squeezebox etc, the physical media paradigm that has already happened here will quickly spread to video. 

If the two format camps had got their act together, and developed a unified standard, they may have stood a chance.  Too late - both formats have lost.

I just don't see people wanting to watch movies on some tiny screen, or low bit rate 720p HD light. with dvd audio at best.
In the U.S., bigger is king when it comes to movies as the constantly sold out IMAX showings and ever increasing display size averages prove beyond a doubt.

hd dvd's pending death will help with Blu-ray being the only viable HDM format to go along with those new hdtv displays, and when those new owners see the difference between Blu-ray and dvd, a lot of them will opt for Blu-ray which will continue to come down in price just like dvd did.

The old NTSC standard is a joke all around the world, consequently the gap between NTSC and 720p/1080i/1080p is huge. The introduction of  standard DVD, native format or upconverted, is more than enough for the majority of the US market.  They'll just get their HD content from cable or satellite providers, with Bose surround sound and hard drive based recorders built into their equipment. 
Last year I was over in Europe and saw high def demonstrations: with smaller screen sizes and the superior PAL system, the extra performance gap with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD exists but it is nowhere near as dramatic and has less interest/value to motivate consumers to embrace the change.

RIP High Def media.     

I meant how Imax is always sold out when there are many 24 screen multiplexes showing the same movies in DLP or THX theaters.
With music, you are correct, with HD media, you could not be more wrong as the masses do not need to go to a high end brick and morter to see/hear the difference in crappy downloads vs BLU.
They can see it everywhere from Wall Mart to Best Buy, and everywhere in between.

I find it very interesting that a lot of vocal hd dvd supporters like yourself, now turn to this argument because your format of choice has no chance instead of embracing Blu.

It just goes to show there are movie fans, and there are format fans, but they are not always one in the same.

If you care to read my posts: my position is not of supporting the HD-DVD format, but that of supporting neither format.  Again it's yet another example of the fanboy's of both formats misreading data and presenting their own biased interpretations. When, in reality, the rest of the world doesn't really care.

Ears

« Reply #102 on: 2 Feb 2008, 12:01 am »

RIP High Def media.     

If you care to read my posts: my position is not of supporting the HD-DVD format, but that of supporting neither format.  Again it's yet another example of the fanboy's of both formats misreading data and presenting their own biased interpretations. When, in reality, the rest of the world doesn't really care.

You may not care about HD optical, which makes me wonder why you even bother posting in this thread in the first place?

But obviously, HD optical is taking off faster than sd dvd did, and it's only going to get even faster adoption when there is only one format left ending the confusion.

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6525812

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #103 on: 8 Feb 2008, 06:17 am »
Hi def downloads have a place but they're not ready for prime time yet, IMO.  Sure, it's awesome to be able to download Lost each week, but how many people are doing it?  The currently available bandwidth is sufficient to trickle the HD content thru to the tiny amount of consumers buying it, but does anyone really think the infrastructure is there to support twenty five million households downloading American Idol in HD?  I seriously doubt it.  Plus, I'm not sure that J6P is willing to spend between 30 minutes and six hours of downloading per hour of content. 

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #104 on: 8 Feb 2008, 06:57 am »
By the time a "winner" has been decided...we'll all be using something else.

Of course, I don't have plans to buy an HDTV any time in the next couple years, TV just isn't worth that much to me...might buy a projector if I get out of this tiny apartment and can justify it. But the audio comes first for me. :)

Woodsea

« Reply #106 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:13 pm »
Thanks for the link, Mike!
Good read, and of course I agree with it  :wink:

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #107 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:29 pm »
Thanks for the link, Mike!
Good read, and of course I agree with it  :wink:

I didn't have time to read it yet, probably should, huh?  :duh:

Ears

« Reply #108 on: 11 Feb 2008, 11:53 pm »
Netflix goes Blu-ray exclusive with their announcement today, and Best Buy decides to choose and announce Blu-ray as their format of choice all in one day.

I believe these will be the final nails in hd dvd's coffin.

jonwb

« Reply #109 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:05 am »
Yep, I made my choice when I bought my PS3 a couple weeks ago.  I'm too cheap to pay the premium to actually BUY BR movies ($30, are you kidding?), but w/ my Blockbuster on-line service I can get BR movies as part of the service just like I was getting SD movies before.

Ears

« Reply #110 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:08 am »
Yep, I made my choice when I bought my PS3 a couple weeks ago.  I'm too cheap to pay the premium to actually BUY BR movies ($30, are you kidding?), but w/ my Blockbuster on-line service I can get BR movies as part of the service just like I was getting SD movies before.

When you do decide to buy one that you think is own worthy, check out half.com or amazon.com instead of BB or CC.

jonwb

« Reply #111 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:39 am »
When you do decide to buy one that you think is own worthy, check out half.com or amazon.com instead of BB or CC.

That's a good idea... Thanks!  I don't mind $10-$15, but some of those BR movies are $30-$35!  I like watching good movies more than once and all, but woof!

Ears

« Reply #112 on: 14 Feb 2008, 01:46 am »

That's a good idea... Thanks!  I don't mind $10-$15, but some of those BR movies are $30-$35!  I like watching good movies more than once and all, but woof!

I hear you, just remember though that dvd's where once 35-40.00, and VHS, D-VHS and Laser Disc where all that price or more money when they debuted.

When it comes to finding deals on Blu-ray movies, the net is usually the way to go.
There are currently 180 or so titles at Amazon that are buy two, get one free for instance.
Fry's, if you have one near you has sales every so often, but it's rare to get a deal at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wally World , Target or Sears ect.

When HDM hit the market I was buying many 25.00-35.00 Blu-ray and hd dvd movies but have slowed way down the last 6 months or so because I can rent  Blu-ray at Blockbuster, Movie Gallery and Hollywood video who all seem to get most new titles with BB having the most catalog titles.

I sold all of my hd dvd's because from the beggining it most always seemed like Blu would win, and the first two players where a function nightmare compared to the first Blu-ray players.

I was shocked when Blockbuster first got Blu because dvd took a while longer to show up at rental chains after it debuted.

Ears

« Reply #113 on: 14 Feb 2008, 01:56 am »
I made an exception for this title because it's in my top 50 and has great early buyer reviews for both P/Q and DD-THD S/Q.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/almost-famous-extended-edition.html

I imported this region free Blu-ray for 28.21 delivered from Amazon U.K. but some are getting it from sendit.com for 25-26.00 delivered which is not bad for an import title.

BobC

« Reply #114 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:16 am »
Sorry for the diversion, but is it just me, or did Kate Hudson get a nose job?   :scratch:  Looks a lot different now vs Almost Famous.

Ears

« Reply #115 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:57 am »
Sorry for the diversion, but is it just me, or did Kate Hudson get a nose job?   :scratch:  Looks a lot different now vs Almost Famous.

I was too busy checking out her other parts with a quick glance at that other american made beauty "Les Paul" to notice, but I believe you are correct.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #116 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:49 am »

I was too busy checking out her other parts with a quick glance at that other american made beauty "Les Paul" to notice, but I believe you are correct.

Hmmm...sadly, pig that I am, I'd probably only notice if she got a boob job. :oops: aa :P