Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

toes

Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #1120 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:03 am »
Alan, I'm planning on buying some of your Infinity products on the 4TH of July sale. I have only one question, does the Infinity Cable Filter work with Synergistic Tesla active speaker cables?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1121 on: 27 Jun 2009, 11:23 am »
The price of the Infinity series is already super low, we will not be offering % off this series, but will will offer dealer bulk pricing if people want to group together and purchase 20+.

I'm not really sure what Ted does to his cables to make them active, there are so many things that can be done.....if it's cap based I would not recommend the SC filter....if it's transformer based then I would recommend the SC filter.  The SC was designed to filter standard cables.....lets not go into manufactured filtered designs where I can't honestly predict the outcome...with a standard cable design I can predict 100% of the time the outcome, just like I can do with the a/c filters.  The SC filter is very strong and does wonders in the typical set up.  The best way to describe it is to add $1000 or $2000 for the Bybee version to the price of the speaker cable....the performance is that good.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #1122 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:58 pm »
So Alan, lots of press on the Infinity stuff lately.  I haven't even tried installing any of them yet.  What would you reccommend to put in front of a 380 wpc "digital" amp with a heavy transformer. 

Is there a unit I should plug this into? 

And should I place a large infinity on top of its transformer?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #1123 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:09 pm »
Forgot to add an updated layout and the chokes I have available for use with cords attached.  I also have IEC adapters I can deploy as well.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1124 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:33 pm »
The price of the Infinity series is already super low, we will not be offering % off this series, but will will offer dealer bulk pricing if people want to group together and purchase 20+.

I'm not really sure what Ted does to his cables to make them active, there are so many things that can be done.....if it's cap based I would not recommend the SC filter....if it's transformer based then I would recommend the SC filter.  The SC was designed to filter standard cables.....lets not go into manufactured filtered designs where I can't honestly predict the outcome...with a standard cable design I can predict 100% of the time the outcome, just like I can do with the a/c filters.  The SC filter is very strong and does wonders in the typical set up.  The best way to describe it is to add $1000 or $2000 for the Bybee version to the price of the speaker cable....the performance is that good.

Ted Denney's active cable setup is purely to activate/energize the dielectric, not the signal path, so as to accelerate and enhance the dielectric break-in.  I can't imagine that the filters would not be compatible.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1125 on: 27 Jun 2009, 05:14 pm »
Big Red Machine

Infinity is very cool  :D

Yank the chokes.

Squeezebox (Infinity DIY over transformer), CDP (Infinity DIY over transformer), DAC (Infinity DIY over transformer), Digital Amp (Infinity over transformer) - Quantum IEC
Preamp - PE V Pro IEC

ted,

Maybe/maybe not....the Infinity SC/SC II filters RFI (cable ringing) and EMF distortion at the binding post.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #1126 on: 28 Jun 2009, 02:07 am »
Are the  chokes harmful?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1127 on: 28 Jun 2009, 08:10 am »
I don't use them anymore, I haven't in the last couple of years.  Our filter designs don't require the choke in the mix.  With our designs the choke adds compression to the signature sound.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1128 on: 28 Jun 2009, 01:40 pm »
I don't use them anymore, I haven't in the last couple of years.  Our filter designs don't require the choke in the mix.  With our designs the choke adds compression to the signature sound.

Alan, Are you saying the original PE (the one I own) uses a choke in the design?  If so, are you willing, then, to replace the original PE's?   I'd rather not use a PE that adds compression.  Thanks.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1129 on: 28 Jun 2009, 06:59 pm »
No...I don't use chokes in the design.....the circuits are more advanced compared to the original.  In all honesty you should step up to a PE V Pro....this is a huge leap forward in performance.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #1130 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:45 pm »
Alan, what is your thought on plugging in all electronics after a properly sized Isolation Transformer?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1131 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:56 pm »
Do it....make sure the isolation transformer is oversized....meaning 20 amps for a 10 amp system...medical grade with a grounded shield, resonate tuned using brass feet (threaded Audiopoints), AM designed filtered primary (Quantum)and secondary (PE VI)...Infinity power cord (will be out next month)...Infinity filtered transformer....maybe elct-spec 20 amp lab grade wire in on the primary for surge protection....ERS top and bottom case shielding....secure it with GE Silicone II...add a little under the trannie....use brass screws, brass outlets (Hubbell HBL-8300H)...and you should be good to go.  What I described is my present set up...I use a Plitron 25 amp NBT transformer, it's the same as used in the BPT 3.5, except I use isolation vs. balanced.  My system is HTPC/server based and balanced power causes some instability problems compared to isolated.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1132 on: 3 Jul 2009, 10:09 am »
4th of July Extravaganza
July 3-6

sherod

« Reply #1133 on: 4 Jul 2009, 08:45 pm »
I had a temporary power outage last night due to a local lightening storm. The power came back on within a few minutes, but do I now have to go through the 3-4 week circuit re-settling for all my PE units?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1134 on: 4 Jul 2009, 09:14 pm »
If we are only talking about a few seconds then no....if it was out an hour then yes.

silverlight

« Reply #1135 on: 5 Jul 2009, 02:31 am »
If we are only talking about a few seconds then no....if it was out an hour then yes.

Alan - you've got me wondering whether I should swap out my outlet or not... where I would be unplugging a PE V Pro, Quantum AC, Ref Power conditioner and a couple ref power cords.  Can you tell me which of these products would have the several week setup again, and which would be less effected by the circuit being shut off for an hour or so?  Also, how do the infinity DIY's small or large react to power cycling on and off on the equipment or cords they're connected to?  Just trying to plan ahead for further tweaks in the system and when to do them.
Thanks!

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1136 on: 5 Jul 2009, 06:16 am »
At the minimum the RPC and power cords would require 4 to 7 days and the V Pro and Quantum would require 12 to15 days. 

BTW, swapping the outlet on a AM designed treated circuit is a waste of time and money....The harmonic benefit usually provided by the typical audiophile swap is already provided by the filter series...swapping the outlet will do little to nothing for audio video benefit.  Gold plated outlets might add a smidgen of warmth by rolling off the upper mids and lower treble, silver plated outlets will increase  distortion in video circuit by clipping the white balance, unplated brass usually provides a good balance and is highly suggested with our filter line....Hubbell HBL-8300H is a good suggestion.

silverlight

« Reply #1137 on: 5 Jul 2009, 12:23 pm »
At the minimum the RPC and power cords would require 4 to 7 days and the V Pro and Quantum would require 12 to15 days. 

BTW, swapping the outlet on a AM designed treated circuit is a waste of time and money....The harmonic benefit usually provided by the typical audiophile swap is already provided by the filter series...swapping the outlet will do little to nothing for audio video benefit.  Gold plated outlets might add a smidgen of warmth by rolling off the upper mids and lower treble, silver plated outlets will increase  distortion in video circuit by clipping the white balance, unplated brass usually provides a good balance and is highly suggested with our filter line....Hubbell HBL-8300H is a good suggestion.

Thanks Alan!  Well worth it given the amazing improvement I've experienced in sound quality since swapping out my other power conditioner and cords (as you can tell I'm a huge fan of your products!!).  Going to swap the outlet, do the QSG treatment on the plugs of the RPC and filters on that line, and add the Infinity DIY tweak to the line (one attached to the back of the outlet and one attached to the circuit breaker feeding it at the panel).  Look forward to getting the large Infinities for the components!

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1138 on: 5 Jul 2009, 12:55 pm »
The QSG treatment will probably more of an upgrade to sound/video compared to the outlet.  Next time out look at our Q IEC for a double your pleasure/double your fun experience.  When Q is focused on a single component it offers a HUGE transformation.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1139 on: 7 Jul 2009, 01:03 pm »
Just a note, if you are interested or on the fence about picking up a standard PE my best advice is to pick them up now while they are still available.  The standard PE circuit is getting ready to hit 10 years in October, over the past several months I have made mention on more than one occasion about phasing out the PE, as of July 10 the PE will be discontinued.  As many of you are aware I replaced the design with another low cost alternative, the Reference II, which outperforms the PE by leaps and bounds and is now considered the best bang for the buck under $100. 

If you had a chance to read our web site today you will also notice the Quantum AC and Limited Edition have been rolled into one product based off trickled down technology from our upcoming Quantum Studio project.  The new v2 surpasses the performance of the original Quantum and LE circuit.  We shorten lead paths and stacked the components to be able to fit in our standard wall wart case for a wider installation acceptance.  Some of our international clients had a hard time installing the LE into the wall receptacle the v2 was designed with them in mind.  The v2 has also been beta tested extensively over the past 4 months; the feedback has been out of this world.  It is my honest opinion the v2 circuit gels better with the new Reference II and Infinity active filters compared to the older design.   

Look for more changes and additions in the coming months. thank-you for your continued support, AM designs do its absolute best to push the envelope for the best price.

Regards,
Alan Maher