Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #1200 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:31 pm »
Hi Clay-

AC filtering is very simple - start as close to the incoming service as humanly possible.  In this case it would mean the PE VI would act as the main filter for the entire system, and then the individual filters can be used for isolated power factor correction and noise filtering.

To take it a step further, we offer an Infinity CBF which is designed to address noise at the service panel.  It can be used to filter the incoming service bundle, individual circuit breakers, outgoing wiring, or spare receptacles around the home.  As many will tell you, the effect of a single CBF is incredibly pronounced without any form of active filtering.  With active filtering, the two items couple with one another and intensify the circuit.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1201 on: 28 Sep 2009, 09:38 pm »
Great New Review!!!

First a disclaimer. I am not involved with the company or related and submit this review as one happy customer with the sole aim of expressing my pleasure in using and listening to these remarkable products.

I've been on the tweak merry-go-round for as long as I've been involved in HiFi with some success and some failures. My only criteria is, if it sounds good to me then it must be doing something right. Usually I verify this by removing the tweak months later. If the sound worsens then I put the tweak back. If it improves then the tweak is dubious and may only have produced a change in sound rather than an improvement. Simple, but it works for me.

I believe I have a resolving system and can hear improvements such as capacitor changes in my amps (Sonicap Platinum caps are wonderful along with V-Caps) and have added three dedicated circuits and breaker box to the system. I also use VH Audio Airsine cables throughout. I mention this because I believe these are tweaks that are easily heard and could not live without in my system.

My search for ever more presence, body and an organic nature to the sound led me, after much internet searching and reviews, to Alan Maher's product range. I felt I had to give it a go and as the price of admission to the range was within my grasp, unlike the Bybee products or Nordost Quantum products, I took the plunge. Power regenerators and the like have never swayed me always prefering the raw main feed, something a few other respected component designers agree with.

After a few emails to Alan he recommended I start with a Quantum IEC for my CD player (Audio Aero Prestige Signature) in order to combat the digital nasties thrown back into the system and increase the power factor. A Reference II for overall system enhancement and an Infinity Circuit Breaker Filter. PE V Pro. IECs were also recommended but more on those later.

Delivery to the UK was swift and the Infinity was cable-tied to the incoming mains wire to the breaker box. The Quantum IEC inserted directly at the IEC of the CD Player and power cord attached to the Quantum. Luckily I had a spare socket on the VH Audio Hot Box in which to plug the Reference II. These are all on one of the dedicated lines. The other two lines are direct to each of the subwoofers of my Avantgarde Duos.

What was I hoping to get? A little improvement in resolution due to a lower noise-floor and maybe a bit more naturalism to vocals. What did I get? A sudden drop of all extraneous noise, something you don't notice until it's gone. Lifelike vocals and a sense of being able to see around a vocalist as though they were holographic. I was gobsmacked! Disc after disc was tried and all revealed an increase in detail and naturalism.

However all was not well, the dreaded roller-coaster of break-in began very quickly and one day the bass was missing another the treble and I believe it only settled down after 4 weeks. Alan told me the components will break-in without having to play music as long as they are powered. Finally, I had a better sounding system and to test myself I removed the items to revert back to a much smaller soundstage, less realism and what I hadn't noticed before, a bloated bass. The bass is now taut but not too lean. Which brings me on to the PE V Professional IECs.

Alan's recommendation for the PE Vs was for my monoblock amps (Welborne labs Starchief). I thought that if the lower priced components can do this much then what would the PE Vs bring. Off my money went and within the week came the latest addition. Could I live with the roller-coaster ride again by installing them on my amps? No, I couldn't, so I decided to put them on each of my subwoofers for break-in and then move them to my amps. I also took this decision as I may not have gone the whole hog and added two more for my subs at a later date. This way I could hear what they may bring to the overall presentation. After another 3 weeks I could detect a quicker bass, deeper bass and felt vocals had added strength and body.

Time to play around I thought. The PE Vs were moved to the amps and I was astonished by the impact they had.....all negative!! What happened? Did I break one or both? The bass almost disappeared and even most of the mid-bass. Was I going to have to break them in again? A quick email to Alan and he suggested that indeed the bass could be thinned out too much in some applications and again all very system dependent. I couldn't live with this so back they went onto the subs and all was well after a few hours.

I'd got hooked on these, I no longer call them tweaks, components and asked Alan what could I do to improve, if at all, the spectacular sound I now have. I wanted the resolution, tick, the bass, tick, the body/presence, tick,tick and now wanted an organic feel to the whole sound-stage. The only option left was to add a Quantum Studio to the source/amp line as this still had an IEC between the dedicated line and the Hot Box cord. So today I added the final component and would you believe the sound-stage exploded. Those quiet background or far off sounds now have their own presence and air around them and brought out in all their detail. The bass is as full and deep as it's ever been and yet there are no room related problems, just clean and clear. I believe I have what I am looking for and expect a few weeks of ups and downs but I am amazed at the changes brought by these products. I don't know how they work or understand the explanations on Alan's website but work they do and unlike any other tweak I have tried. Bloody amazing.

Alan tells me there is still more I can do by addressing the house wiring and filtering other components around the house, microwaves and refrigerators being some of the worse, but that will have to wait until funds allow.

For now, I am extremely happy to settle back and wallow in this new found luxurious sound. Give them a try, you may get hooked like me.

Barry Black

mdconnelly

« Reply #1202 on: 29 Sep 2009, 02:45 pm »
Jen, nice review!  After numerous email exchanges with Alan over the course of the summer and now having used the Quantum Studio and Ref IIs for well over a month, I have also become a believer in these products and just how much a detrimental impact AC line noise has on audio.  The improvements wrought by these products are easily heard and substantial (although prone to lengthy breakin :-( - at least with the QS). 

I can't wait to receive the order I placed during your Labor Day sale!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1203 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:39 am »
Hi Mike-

The break in process, unfortunately, is a necessary evil and unavoidable.  You guys complain for a couple weeks, you should be me!  He switches these things in and out every few weeks!   :lol:  I was just discussing on another website the health benefits of adding the QS to the circuit.  Have you noticed a lowering of airborne EMI in the room?  When Alan originally designed the QS and noticed this side effect he was ecstatic!  He suffers horribly from chronic allergies throughout the year so was very happy when he noticed the atmospheric change wrought by the negative ion process in the filter.

By the way, I've been meaning to reply to your last email... I grew up about 15 minutes down the road from you!   :D

Thank you!
Jen

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1204 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:31 am »
Today Only: September 30, 2009

Buy 4 Infinity CBF and receive 1 FREE

RadioWonder

« Reply #1205 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:59 am »
For today only!  (5 September 2009)

We have a limited number of Reference III ground filters available (release date Nov 2009)
only $225.00

Note:  The Reference III is a substantial improvement in noise filtering,
and nothing on the market offers this level of active ground filtering.

Be prepared to be blown away...

Please tell us more about this product.
Photos please...
Thanks!  :D

Email response from Jen:
Hi Robert-

The Reference III is an active ground filter, enclosed in the standard Reference II case.  The filter is based off the Reference II design, meaning we use the same quality parts.  The filter actively filters both the L-N and earth ground simultaneously, offering a tremendous reduction in noise for the entire circuit. 

They are not in stock, as Alan is on the road and won't return until early December, but will be available for pre-order 15 November for the intro price of $225.00.

Thank you! 

Regards,
Jen Maher

Alan Maher designs
http://www.alanmaherdesigns.com

« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2009, 06:17 pm by RadioWonder »

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1206 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:29 am »
Today Only: October 15, 2009

mdconnelly

« Reply #1207 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:05 pm »
Jen, is it possible (or worth it) to upgrade Ref IIs to Ref IIIs?   

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1208 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:05 pm »
I don't think it is possible to upgrade one circuit to the other.  What I can say is the Reference III will turbo charge a Reference II filtered circuit.  Expect 2 to 3 times the enhanced resolution when a Reference III is added to a Reference II filtered circuit.  The Reference III falls under our latest plug and play designs, plug it in and it sounds great after 1 hour, let it continue to cook for the next couple of weeks and it just gets better.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2009, 12:17 am by JenMaher »

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1209 on: 17 Oct 2009, 12:13 am »
A great write up on the upcoming Pulse Gen filter: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72646.msg681667;topicseen#new

The Pulse Gen will be available for pre-order November 15, 2009.

anodyne

« Reply #1210 on: 17 Oct 2009, 03:18 am »
Today Only: October 15, 2009

Talk about being a day late and a dollar short.  I've been reading about the CBF's on and off all week and had just decided to try some out.  I stumbled across this product support thread today during lunch and the above deal.  Bummer!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1211 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:45 pm »
4 for 1 Weekend Special

Buy 4 Infinity CBF and receive 1 Free (total of 5)

Offer ends Monday October 26, 2009

Big Red Machine

« Reply #1212 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:54 pm »
Sent you an email Jen.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1213 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:39 pm »
Hi-

All emails received have been answered...

Thank you!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1214 on: 24 Oct 2009, 11:34 am »
Brand new Infinity CBF review

Hello Jen,

Alan asked me to let him know how I got on with the Infinity Circuit Breakers, and as he is on tour I'm e-mailing you, and to thank you for the free one you included in the package.  Well I have to say I'm quite dis-orientated by them. The usual price to performance ratio has been so totally re-written that my previous power purchases are looking like hideously over-priced under-achievers.

The Infinities excel in all the usual areas expected such as greater resolution, deeper bass and more extended treble, but several stand out for particular comment.

1. The varying sound quality dependant on time of day has been all but irradiated.

2. In my pursuit of a distortion free sound I had lost sight of the importance of dynamics, both macro and micro, and related timing. I was both surprised and delighted by their return which has made the music more exciting and involving. This is particularly noticeable on percussion, piano and plucked instruments. There is no artificial leading edge to create this effect, just accurate reproduction.

3. I can now make out lyrics that were previously unintelligible, and the vocals (and instrumental solos) communicate much more emotion.

4. Individual instruments are more clearly defined and possess a palpable quality I associate with the best valve amps.

5. I had never really understood the desire for a live sound as it didn't seem relevant to the sort of music I listen to, but had a "Damascene" moment when I realized my system was now sounding live.  The power to my house has been an ongoing problem for me and I have tried many and various products ranging from $25 fuses to $1000 power conditioners with varying degrees of success. Some have worked better than others, some representing good value for money, but none have close to the bang for buck these give.

It is easy to get over-enthusiastic in such situations and resort to hyperbole, so I resisted writing sooner, but the conclusion is the same; I'm now enjoying a level of fidelity I thought I would never achieve and can only congratulate you on such an outstanding product.

I'm using two Infinities on the circuit breaker and one over a spare wall socket as recommended by Alan.  Please feel free to use all or any of this as a review.

As you can tell from the above I'm more than happy with things as they are, but would appreciate your opinion as to the next move, bearing in mind that listen mostly to CD through a digital amp. The Infinity Shield would appear to be the obvious choice.

Thanks again,
Dave Sheard

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1215 on: 31 Oct 2009, 10:58 am »
Annual Halloween Monster Mash Bash
Demo/Prototype Sale

PEv2 (demo) - 1 (one) available:  $65.00
Listed for $75.00, low hours excellent condition

PEv3 (prototype, final version) - 1 (one) available:  $90.00

PE II (demo) - 1 (one) available:  $90.00
Shakti inside, low hours, excellent condition

PE III (demo) - 1 (one) available:  $125.00
Solid 14k gold wiring, low hours, luxurious sound in the midrange & top end reproduction

PE V Pro Limited Edition (demo) - 1 (one) available:  $200.00
Listed for $375.00, low hours, excellent condition

PE V Pro wire-in (prototype, final version) - 3 (three) available:  $250.00
List for $500.00, low hours, excellent condition

Infinity Active (prototype) - 2 (two) available:  $125.00

Bybee inside, low hours, suburb addition for anyone with the Quantum Reference Power Center - available for purchase early 2010

While Supplies Last!
All Sales Final!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1216 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:25 am »
Coming Soon!!!

Black Friday Pre-Order Sale

November 27-29

20% OFF (On Almost Everything)

Don't Miss Out

djbnh

« Reply #1217 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:59 am »
Please advise when the Infinity Circuit Breaker Filters will be back in stock; thanks.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1218 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:39 pm »
djbnh-

You're in luck!  Infinity is back in stock as of today!  I still have to treat the stones, but I can have them ready for shipping on Thursday.

Thank you!

cfmsp

« Reply #1219 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:18 pm »
djbnh-

I still have to treat the stones

Insert Twilight Zone music here!

:)

clay