Once in a lifetime IB Subwoofer Blowout

Kevin Haskins

Once in a lifetime IB Subwoofer Blowout
« on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:04 am »
How many people would be interested in a good IB subwoofer?

I have a once in a lifetime chance for those interested in purchasing an IB sub.  We had a slight goof on a production run which has a wee bit too stiff of a suspension for our original goals.    Our choices are to send them back to the build-house and have them rebuilt or offer them at a blow-out price of $155 & $160 (includes UPS GND shipping within cont. USA) for those interested in an IB.    My build-house is giving me a good break because it was their mistake.     Compare this to the Dayton Audio IB Subwoofer @ $120 with less than half the available excursion (which you will need with an IB sub) and you will find this is an unbeatable value.   Twice the output and a much lower distortion motor for an extra $5 is a screaming deal.   

These are based upon the Adire Audio Brahma motor so they have a healthy 26-27 x-max with the XBL^2 motor highly optimized in its fourth generation.   

These are all dual 8 Ohm VC so they would offer resistively damped operation if you needed it.   They are stadard 12-spoke cast baskets with good parts.   I intentionally made these non-flashy designs.   They are directly out of the mold of the old Shiva/Tempest (which was our original design goal) which was all business and no goofy marketing gimicks.   If you want fuzzy dice on your woofer these are not for you.  :-)

T/S from a production sample broken-in for 3-4 hours at 50% excursion.  Measurements are with VC in parallel.   

Re: 3.95 ohm
Qts:  0.578
Qes: 0.673
Qms: 4.095
Fs: 24.5hz
mms: 130g
cms: .300mm/N
BL:  11
Vas:  284L

I have a good stock (>50 units) but they won't last long at this price.   I'll put them on my web site Monday morning for those interested.

« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2007, 06:49 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Once in a lifetime IB Subwoofer Blowout
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:44 am »
Sweet, I'm building a house right now with an IB sub setup in the design.  4 of these might be perfect!  Am I blind or are these 15's or 12's?

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:56 am »
Excellent...like the Turbo asked, are they 15"?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:02 am »
Doint!   They are 15"s!

Should have included that little bit of information.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:03 am »
What about sensitivity and frequency?

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:04 am »
Looks like 15's..   Damn, I really don't have any IB plans in mind..  but it sure would be sweet in the car!!!  hehe

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:12 am »
What about sensitivity and frequency?

If you run the numbers these are about 90db.    I have a modeled response curve but no way to upload it from my laptop.

Its a perfect IB sub though.  Trust me..  it starts a very slow rolloff from 100Hz.   Matches with room gain perfectly so that you get very deep and natural bass.    I recommend a rumble filter though on whatever you use to power them.    I'd set it for around 18Hz assuming a typical 2nd order electrical filter.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:21 am »
Looks like 15's..   Damn, I really don't have any IB plans in mind..  but it sure would be sweet in the car!!!  hehe

I have some 12"s that are good in a 1.5 ft^3 sealed enclosure.   They have a highish Q of about .9 (system Q, not driver Qts) but in the car that would give you a lot of thump, essentially flat anechoic to 40Hz and with cabin gain that would be insane.   Same price.... while I have them.   Same motor, slightly different parameters.    They also look good in 3.5ft^3 tuned to about 20Hz.    They would be a good HT sub in that type of enclosure being essentially flat to 30Hz (anechoic) and fall off fairly quick below that point.    In-room measurements as a typical company would post they would be good to under 20Hz flat in-room with some good HT excitement in the 30-60hz range.

Parameters on the 12" with VCs in parallel (dual 8s).

Re:  3.95
fs: 31Hz
Qms: 4.35
Qes: .67
Qts: .58
mms: 114g
cms: .233 mm/N
Vas: 83L
BL: 11.4
Eff: 87.7db/1W/1M
xmax: 26-27mm one way
Pmax:   Lets say 600W which is conservative.   If you thermally fry the thing your doing something very stupid.

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2007, 02:45 am by Kevin Haskins »

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2007, 10:15 am »
Good for IB would mean good for dipole, wouldn't it?

For me the shipping would kill it. Stupid Pacific Ocean ( ;) )

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2007, 09:00 pm »
Good for IB would mean good for dipole, wouldn't it?

For me the shipping would kill it. Stupid Pacific Ocean ( ;) )

Sure.... will work great as dipole woofers.   Both operate in essentially in free air.

It would probably cost about $75 per woofer via USPS Global Priority Mail.   Just a guess....

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:47 pm »
Are those 12" XBL^2 as well?  :drool:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2007, 03:25 pm »
Are those 12" XBL^2 as well?  :drool:

Yes... they are the Brahma motor.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2007, 03:57 pm »
Some more details:

Warranty:   1 yr Parts/Labor.    Actually if we had a warranty item I'd just replace it or in this case give you credit towards another driver.   

Since there is a lot of craziness among the car audio crowd.   You guys like to blow stuff up.... you know it.... I know it.     

Items covered/not covered:

• A smoldering VC is not a warranty item.
  • A surround and spider riped from their landings is not a warranty item
  • A glue joint failure, where there is no damage to the surrounding cone, surround or spider IS a warranty item
  • anything obvious as a defect, magnet falls off, way off my listed parameters, VC scrapping etc...  would be considered warranty.   I'd take care of you 100%

I'm an easy guy to deal with but don't screw with me.    I'm inclined to be merciful to my customers even if they do something stupid but if you come to me with an attitude your not going to get far.   These drivers are well built and designed so they won't break under normal operation.

I believe in the golden rule, treat others as you would want to be treated and that pretty much covers my warranty policy. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2007, 05:25 pm »
Here are some of my recommended box alignments.

For the 12" model.   It looks really good for car audio in 1.5ft^3 sealed with 100% stuffing (24 oz polyfill).   This is with 400W @ 4 ohms.... you don't need 1KW amp.   Using more power past the driver's limits isn't going to give you more output.   Its just going to damage the driver. 

I've adjusted the room simulation to the dimensions of my minivan.   For you guys who like to bump around in the minvan the in-room simulation shows that you get to 20Hz flat with cabin gain.   The driver isn't at maximum, juice it a little more and you could squeeze a little more SPL but not much.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2007, 05:33 pm »
Here is the 12" driver in 3.5ft^3 ported alignment with 100% stuffing and tuned to 18Hz.   I'd recommend at least the 3" flared port (11.8" total length).   This looks REALLY good with lots of SPL down low.   I'd say the in-room f3 is around 18Hz.

Here is what it looks like with a 2nd order Butterworth @ 14Hz.    This will protect your driver without sacrificing any output.   With 400W @ 4 ohms (more power than used in these graphs) you get to 113db/1M and in-room extension down under 20Hz.    Once again... more power won't buy you anything.

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2007, 06:02 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2007, 05:41 pm »
For those who want to port the 15" you need a large box.   This is 7ft^3  with 100% fill tuned to 14Hz.   I'd use the 4" flared port (21.6" long!) and you still might get some chuffing at VERY HIGH SPLs down low.   You would get away with it because the port tuning is so low and there just isn't much 14Hz content in most material.

This is with 600W @ 4 ohms.... and sick amounts of output.   I also used a 10hz 2nd order Butterworth rumble filter in this simulation.     As you can see... the in-room f3 is around 16-17 Hz so this is one to plumb the depths if you have the real estate to place it in your room.   

Output?   Yikes....I'd say 118db/1M from 18Hz on up with 600W. 

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2007, 06:38 pm »
Kevin, YGPM.

Do we order via phone?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2007, 06:55 pm »
Kevin, YGPM.

Do we order via phone?

Hold your britches...    I'll get them up on the web site later today.   Please don't call.... I'm having a hard time getting anything done because the phone is ringing off the hook.

What is YGPM?   

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2007, 07:25 pm by Kevin Haskins »

jonwb

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 2007, 09:51 pm »

What is YGPM?   

It means "you've got (a) personnal message".

Now get back to work  :lol:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jul 2007, 10:19 pm »

What is YGPM?   

It means "you've got (a) personnal message".

Now get back to work  :lol:

:whip:

Thanks.... Mondays suck.