Once in a lifetime IB Subwoofer Blowout

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Once in a lifetime IB Subwoofer Blowout
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jul 2007, 12:10 am »
That 10 inch dipole woofer sounds interesting as well. You should bring it to market too, hopefully it has same sales as the 15 and 12 inch. The 10 inch is small enough that you an incorporate it into some MTM dipole designs as one full system. The 27 mm of Xmax is just icing on the cake. You could then have three models, 10 inch, 12 inch, 15 inch, at $125, $155, and $175 respectively  aa

Food for thought...

Anand.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jul 2007, 06:04 am »
It won't share the same motor as the current 12" & 15" drivers.   I don't have final spec's on it yet but its an XBL^2 motor with plenty of throw and it was designed from the get-go as a dipole project.

MAC - SteveH

• Industry Participant
    • My Audio Cables
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jul 2007, 12:13 pm »
I'd be interested in a 10"

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #63 on: 28 Jul 2007, 09:03 pm »
She's arrived. And boy is she gorgeous  :drool:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #64 on: 3 Aug 2007, 02:33 pm »
Ok.... I've tried to give updates on stock so that everyone has their shot.   

I'm giving the "last call".    Stock is about to be emptied.   Better get them today if you want em.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #65 on: 3 Aug 2007, 02:48 pm »
Oh.... and I've got a fixed price on them now that includes the shipping.    People ordering 4 or 8 drivers gave my shopping cart fits.    It couldn't recognize that it was multiple boxes and kept going into the UPS overweight category.   I got sick of dealing with it and just tacked on an average UPS GND shipping price and wrapped it into the final price.   

Current Price:   

XJ-12    $155 includes shipping

XJ-15    $160 includes shipping.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #66 on: 3 Aug 2007, 06:09 pm »
Just to nudge things further, John K is done with the U-frame active crossover design and the PCB's are being mailed to me. He sent me the instructions via e-mail (14 pages worth!), very thorough and looks to be an easy build. Again, this is a nice woofer to use in either a U-frame or H-frame subwoofer system.

John and Kevin have both been very helpful, superb customer service  :thumb:

Heh, If nobody else is getting these maybe I'll be the last one laughing with awesome cardiod bass... :drool: aa :lol:

Anand.

mcullinan

« Reply #67 on: 3 Aug 2007, 06:20 pm »
I have a Velodyne HGS-12 Sub... would the 12 incher work in place of the old sub speaker? I dont know what the hell I am talking about thats why Im asking. Its long throw, 1200 watts nominal 3000 max.
Mike

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #68 on: 3 Aug 2007, 08:23 pm »
I have a Velodyne HGS-12 Sub... would the 12 incher work in place of the old sub speaker? I dont know what the hell I am talking about thats why Im asking. Its long throw, 1200 watts nominal 3000 max.
Mike

I seriously doubt it.   The parameters on these is such that they will be a drop-in replacement for VERY few finished subs.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #69 on: 3 Aug 2007, 08:23 pm »
Last Call!

johnk...

• Music and Design
« Reply #70 on: 3 Aug 2007, 09:01 pm »
FYI, If anyone wants to do an H-frame dipole (or even a flat baffle dipole) rather than a U-frame the crossover eq can be easily modified to suit.

U-frame or H-frame package for XJ-12 two PCBs (for a stereo x-o and stereo woofers) plus complete plans set and parts list: $100

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #71 on: 4 Aug 2007, 01:01 am »
Wow John.... I've not been to your web site in awhile.  You have great design primer on dipoles.   I'll have to take some time and read it next week.    In fact... I'm going to buy your design primer.   Looks awesome...

For anyone who is considering dipoles.... I don't see a better solution.   Go over to John's site, looks like a great resource. 

All of it looks technically sound and priced VERY right.   

I'll send you the spec's on the DPL-10.   Its on order and makes for a compact dipole that can deliver fairly good output down to around 30Hz.   Should have both the WAF factor, output and be priced such that it makes a very good value.   I'm also keen to bring out a dedicated 12" & 15" dipole/IB woofer line.   Maybe the XJ-12 & XJ-15 in their current incarnation could be a viable product if there is enough interest.     To be honest... my biggest constraint is warehouse space and capital.   :-)   Just don't have the space for another 10 pallets of woofers nor the $30K to buy them.

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
« Reply #72 on: 8 Aug 2007, 02:39 pm »
Order sent for the 15's.

It wasn't giving me credit for the shipping, but I placed it anyway with a note (I think the extra was $9 or so for the shipping).

Hopefully you still have them in stock.  The website still let me order.  Obviously, please cancel if you don't :D

Current plan is to turn my 3-way OB's into a 4-way with these on the bottom.  All dipole.

Thanks,
Anthony

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #73 on: 10 Aug 2007, 05:35 pm »
Order sent for the 15's.

It wasn't giving me credit for the shipping, but I placed it anyway with a note (I think the extra was $9 or so for the shipping).

Hopefully you still have them in stock.  The website still let me order.  Obviously, please cancel if you don't :D

Current plan is to turn my 3-way OB's into a 4-way with these on the bottom.  All dipole.

Thanks,
Anthony

The extra $$ for shipping gets deleted.   Our shopping cart won't handle flat rate shipping so I just set the weight to 0.1lb.    It is explained on the web page when you order.   Your only charged for the subs.

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
« Reply #74 on: 11 Aug 2007, 03:50 am »
I feel like an idiot.  I noticed that right after posting here.  DOH!

Just got the shipping info -- that was fast, thanks!

Right now the plan is for stereo U baffle subs, but I may turn my 3-way Left and Rights into active 4 ways, with a sideways baffle (similar to the Hemp Acoustics Keonbi bass section)  I have a feeling a lot of MDF is going to die before I get the design right :)

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
« Reply #75 on: 15 Aug 2007, 09:22 pm »
So glad I took the plunge. The freight was more expensive than the drivers, by a reasonable amount, but the drivers weren't as spendy as I figured I was up for, so swings and roundabouts.

Had considered buying a couple of other 15-inch drivers including the Augies and the 15s from www.capilanohornspeakers.com. I decided on the XJ-15 because of specs and price, but also because I had used some 4-inch XBL2 drivers before, the FR125s, and found them to be better than the other 4-inch stuff I'd been playing with. Also, I had  been messing with bass drivers I had on hand from subwoofer building days (before I discovered OB!), and liked what I was hearing with drivers that had lots of Xmax and a low Fs. Which kind of ruled out most Pro-style drivers.

When the XJ15s happened along optimised for IB (thanks Kevin for letting the AC/OB folk know ahead of the rest), this just seemed like one of those Zen-timing moments.

Before the XJ-15s arrived, I had a Tempest hooked up in a U-shaped OB, just big enough to hold the driver (it was the only spare wood I had at the time!).

I guessed that the size and screw holes of the XJ15 would be the same, and they were so merely installed it in that same U-frame last night.

Within seconds, I realised I had made the right decision. This driver not only has the sexy looks of an Italian sports bike but the exquisite sound/tone as well (with aftermarket cans of course). It is simply awesome, and I haven't even really begun to play with positioning or baffle yet. Nor have I got the other one out of the box. Where other bass drivers I have used seem to run out of gas at the lowest notes, this one just soldiers on. It is a big step up on the Tempest.

My plate amp seems to drive it fine without working up a sweat.

Great stuff Kevin. I couldn't be happier…unless you can come up with a 10-inch that's also optimised for IB to fill in the mid- and upper-bass. What's that? You're on to it already?  aa

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #76 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:05 pm »
I'd strongly consider looking at JohnK's software and his PCB for the dipole network.    The nature of dipoles is that they need some motivation from the electrical side of things to get them to cooperate.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #77 on: 16 Aug 2007, 09:28 pm »
Agreed :thumb: Fellas, when you look at the fact that John K charges $100 for the circuit boards + full documentation for either H-frame or U-frame (cardiod) systems, its a drop in the bucket.  He can also design for other dipole systems.

Once you hear cardiod, its really, really hard to go back. CLEAN. No overhang. Works with the room as opposed to against it  :duh:.

Okay, I'll shutup now!  :deadhorse:

Anand.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #78 on: 16 Aug 2007, 11:04 pm »
Agreed :thumb: Fellas, when you look at the fact that John K charges $100 for the circuit boards + full documentation for either H-frame or U-frame (cardiod) systems, its a drop in the bucket.  He can also design for other dipole systems.

Once you hear cardiod, its really, really hard to go back. CLEAN. No overhang. Works with the room as opposed to against it  :duh:.

Okay, I'll shutup now!  :deadhorse:

Anand.

Do you have yours up and running Anand?   

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #79 on: 19 Aug 2007, 04:44 pm »
Haha!  :lol:

No not yet, but having heard John K's cardiod subs elsewhere I think I won't be surprised. I will say that the box will be veneered in Tiger Maple with either African Bubinga/Coccobollo/Bloodwood corner mouldings. I'm currently putting the active crossover together. I'll send pics of that unit when done.

Best,
Anand.