Cameras & Optics.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Cameras & Optics.
« on: 13 Jun 2007, 11:40 am »
Yup, I'm on a shopping spree these days.
Looking for a compact camera with superb picture quality!
Max price 500-600$ please.

I've looked at a Casio EX-Z1050 cam, but I've got no clue as to
this
being the best choice. Used to have a Cannon EOS 500N with assorted lenses before.
But that got stolen!  :( So now I need another one.
Was thinking digital compact now!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2007, 01:18 pm by Imperial »

JohnR

Re: Compact camera.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2007, 11:43 am »
My advice is don't get a compact, get a D40. Worlds apart, and it's in your price range.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2007, 11:58 am »

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:05 pm »
Anyway, so much for focusing on the photography instead of the gear.

Imperial

Re: compact camera
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:08 pm »

I know... :oops: but I need a camera to take the pics...
So no compact is gonna cut it you mean?
I'm better off getting a Nikon D40 and that's it?

Imperial

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:09 pm »

:lol: Yea, I thought the same thing John, but face it....We're all a bunch of "gear heads".

Bob

Imperial

Re: Camera, compact or fullsize?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:14 pm »
Uhm... okay, where is the camera forum then on audiocircle?  :oops:
I needs me a camera as my old one is stolen...

Imperial

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:37 pm »
Sorry Imperial, I guess the intent/hope was to not have loads of threads about which latest digicam to get. dpreview is a good site for that. But maybe we could sticky this thread and ask folks to tack requests onto the end of it :idea:

But to answer your question, personally I have been very disappointed with compacts. They are so hit and miss. I'm very happy with my D40 but I'm sure there are alternatives.

Imperial

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2007, 01:14 pm »
But maybe we could sticky this thread and ask folks to tack requests onto the end of it :idea:

I'm very happy with my D40 but I'm sure there are alternatives.

I'll look at the D40, make the thread a sticky, that's probably just as well to contain the gearmadness in one thread... :roll: I changed the thread name to suit.

Imperial

JohnR

Re: Cameras & Optics.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2007, 01:36 pm »
Cool! Let us know what you decide to get!

brj

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2007, 02:38 pm »
I'll second the D40, and the kit lens that comes with it is supposed to be quite good.  (Canon makes great gear too, but the Rebel XT and its kit lens don't appear to equal the D40, and while the XTI reads like it is a very nice step up in performance, the cost blows your budget.)

If we're going to discuss gear (and I confess that I'm interested in learning what gear matters and why, as a means of improving my pictures), I'll add the primary reason to recommend an SLR over a point-and-shoot... larger sensor and lens with more light gathering ability and higher quality optics.  The larger sensor and light gathering give you far better signal-to-noise ratio than any point and shoot, and better optics yield sharper images, etc..  There are other reasons, but those are the ones you'll appreciate with every picture.

You do give up size and weight with an SLR, although the D40 is surprisingly light and smaller than most.

(Of course, while I do like to use my DSLR, I also want to pick up a p-n-s compact enough to have with me at all times to capture those unforeseen photo opportunities that pop up on occasion, and for those times when I don't want to risk the DSLR.)

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2007, 04:29 pm »
The choice of camera depends on a few factors. The first, and foremost, what is the purpose of your photography? What is the maximum size of any print you wish to produce? If you want to display 20X24 size prints with Ansel Adams type detail, then yes, a DSLR, minimum, is required. On the other hand, if all you want to do is post pics on the internet and print the occasional 8X10 sized print, then a compact is the more reasonable alternative. Like audio, its all about resolution. Wheather compact or DSLR, its absolutely essential to get the best lens you can. No matter what size the sensor is, if the lens is not passing a sharp image your pissing in the wind. Nikon and Canon both produce excellent lenses. They also produce some mediocre ones. Ziess produces consistently excellent lenses that are used in Sony and Contax cameras. Its important to check specific model reviews to get info on lens quality. Do you want to shoot in low light, or at night? Then its important to find a camera that takes good quality shots at a high ISO rating, while not producing a lot of noise. In general, a camera with a zoom greater than 3-1 will produce lower resolution images. A fixed focal length lens takes the sharpest images.
The most important factor, for me, is size. Your more likely to have a camera with you if it fits in your shirt pocket, rather than having a kit with a body and 2 or 3 lenses that, after awhile, you get tired of lugging around. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2007, 04:47 pm »
My needs in a compact digital centered around my wanting to take photos of recording sessions without being noticed. For that I thought I would need a very large lens, but discovered the Fuji Finepix F31fd. At the time I bought it (this January) it was the most capable low-light compact by a large factor. As with any choice there is good news and bad, but I am very pleased. As a bonus, battery life is outstanding.
I use it all the time and almost never need to use a flash.

P.S. the D 40 would definitely be my first choice for a digital SLR but compactness ruled the day for me.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2007, 05:03 pm by Russell Dawkins »

Imperial

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2007, 06:25 pm »
My needs in a compact digital centered around my wanting to take photos of recording sessions without being noticed. For that I thought I would need a very large lens, but discovered the Fuji Finepix F31fd. At the time I bought it (this January) it was the most capable low-light compact by a large factor. As with any choice there is good news and bad, but I am very pleased. As a bonus, battery life is outstanding.

P.S. the D 40 would definitely be my first choice for a digital SLR but compactness ruled the day for me.

Yeah, I'm trying to go with compactness myself..
I think that the fuji finepix is the best alternative to the D40 (There are obviously two types of D40, D40 - D40x "II")
It's not much less for the finepix, the difference is some 30 - 50% in price depending on what kind of package deal I go for here in Norway...

Is the picture quality good, very good or "Oh my gosh did I take that picture with this camera" - good?
 :D
Ay? What's your take on it?

Come to think of it, a friend who is a photographer actually do have a fuji finepix cam... not sure of the model, but that is a good sign? hm?
Well, then it's down to two choices then the Finepix or the D40!

Imperial

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2007, 08:45 pm »
I am hardly any kind of authority on cameras, but I'm happy with mine and haven't yet seen another compact camera I'd rather have. There is a review of it here and some Googling would find you many more:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/page17.asp

I would definitely talk to your photographer friend.

In reading this review I noticed a couple of significant features I had forgotten. One is the very fast time from power on to ready to shoot - around one second, and I believe it is one of the very fastest in terms of shutter lag between having the button halfway down and snapping the shot. This I like, because it means you can catch some fleeting expression.

Now if they made something that had a streaming buffer system that would capture 0.1 sec before you pressed the button, maybe more of us would be capturing the photos we thought we were getting!

The leather Fuji case is very nice, by the way, if that is an option in one of the packages you are considering.

Great though the photos are, though, I'm sure the Nikon SLR would be visibly better, but we are talking compacts, here! Moreover, at my level of competence I would cherish the Nikon but view the Fuji dispassionately as just a very effective and convenient tool.

Imperial

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:04 pm »
I miss my Canon EOS...
Bwahahahahahaha!  :cry:
Well! That hurt good! "Sniff... sulk..."
I guess I'm going for a compact this year and a better camera next year.
As you say, a lowlight capable really transportable pocket sized cam is really handy to have!

I'm getting a Fuji!
Thanx for the tip! And thanx everyone for taking the time to help!
Imperial

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:17 pm »
if you sent me your email address, Imperial, (off list) I could send you a couple of pix I took with the Fuji.

Mine is rdawkins (at) shaw.ca

My brother is into cameras deep with a Nikon D200 and a wide variety of good lenses. Much as he would like to snort at my little F31fd, he grudgingly has to admit that he's somewhat impressed!

fd, by the way, stands for face detection. It optimizes exposure parameters for up to 5 faces in a group, recognizing them by the two eyes and mouth triangle grouping.

Imperial

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:36 am »
Well, after taking a look at the picture quality from the F31fd 'cam, there really was nothing else
to do than get one myself, so I've done just that.  :thumb:
I think the lead time for orders online is some 7-10 days.
I bought mine from mpx http://www.mpx.no/aspx/produkt/prdinfovnet.aspx?plid=76019

And Russell D, you do well as a photographer! I'd say you've learned to use your 'cam well!  :D

Imperial

lazydays

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jun 2007, 06:25 pm »
Yup, I'm on a shopping spree these days.
Looking for a compact camera with superb picture quality!
Max price 500-600$ please.

I've looked at a Casio EX-Z1050 cam, but I've got no clue as to
this
being the best choice. Used to have a Cannon EOS 500N with assorted lenses before.
But that got stolen!  :( So now I need another one.
Was thinking digital compact now!

Imperial

about six months ago I was looking for a camera that would fit in my coat pocket without a huge bulge. Kinda wanted a range finder camera, but all I could find was a Cannon and a $1800 Panasonic. But I happened upon a Sansung NV-10, and bought it for less than $300. Now it just amazes me all the time. It's got nearly the picture quality of my S3 Fuji, and actually gets colors right like the Fuji's are famous for. Only complaint is the flash is a little weak, and is pretty much dead at twelve feet.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2007, 06:28 pm »

I own two Fujis, and they are the ones that always get colors right. They are also the ones that use their own sensors instead of somebody elses.
gary