Cameras & Optics.

nathanm

Re: Cameras & Optics.
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jun 2007, 08:27 pm »
about six months ago I was looking for a camera that would fit in my coat pocket without a huge bulge.
What if you kept it in your pants pocket instead?

Lensman

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:55 am »
about six months ago I was looking for a camera that would fit in my coat pocket without a huge bulge.

Pants pockets are best reserved for the 300/2.8 and/or monopod.

lazydays

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:58 pm »

actually I've done that before. It's less than a half inch thick.
gary

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:09 pm »
Camera has been delivered by snail mail...
Currently charging battery..  :thumb:
Yeah! It's really tiny this cam!!! Really tiny!!!

Will take some pictures this week!
Post some next week!  :thumb:
Imperial

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:16 pm »
 :thumb:
I'll look forward to your impressions.

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:43 am »
I always agonize over the portablility of a compact vs. the functionality and image quality of a DSLR.  There are just a lot of times that I don't want to lug that big thing around!  I've found that most of the compacts I've used (the Canon G7, the Fujis and even the Leica Digilux 3) do an admirable job when used in RAW mode.

Where I've really seen the compacts fall down is in the high ISO modes.  Most of them up around 400 or higher start to get pretty noisy.  Where I can shoot at ISO 1000 no problem with the EOS5, my Leica gets really grainy at 400. 

However, in bw mode, it looks almost like Tri-x! 

But I have made some pretty good large prints from the compacts.

jlupine

Cameras & Optics.
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:45 pm »
I made a small camera stand with a 1/4" aluminum plate with rubber feet as the base, a 1/4" hex-head bolt 6" long going through PVC-pipe caps as the shaft, and a small ball-joint head.  The bolt was seized by airport security a few years ago in Italy, so I've been looking for an alternative.  I remember seeing a Dutch tourist with a tripod 8 or 10 inches tall with flexible legs and a small ball-joint head, a much bigger version of the 4" model that we see all the time.  I've never seen it in a U.S. camera shop, and I can't find it on the Internet.  Does any one know where to get one ?  (4" version below)

Jan     

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2007, 05:37 pm »
Hi Jan,

I've got one of those and they aren't very stable at all. I use a Canon 30D (read = heavy) and it collapses. My much lighter Sony FD-97 is almost too much weight for one of those.

B&H Photo carries the model you are looking for...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194944-REG/Hakuba_HFPS_Flexible_Table_Tripod.html

...but they have some much sturdier mini-pods if you have a heavy camera
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/391/Tripods_Tabletop_Mini_Tripods.html

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jun 2007, 09:57 pm »
http://www.cullmann-foto.de/en/products/tripods/travelpods/index.htm
I've had the Magic 2 for years and find it to be outstanding.

Levi

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jul 2007, 02:00 am »
I am currently using a Gitzo CF tripod for my DSLR.  I find it extremely lightweight, stable and easy to use.

Picture courtesy of Gitzo.

and for my pocket camera, I use a manfrotto 709b digi.  It folds flat fits into your back pocket.  The 709b is also well made and stable enough for a 5lb DSLR.  It's $29.

Imperial

« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2007, 10:29 pm »
The urge is to great!
I now have plans to get a proper cam... In addition to my Fuji!
I'm getting a Nikon D40/40x cam.
Someone I know can get me some % off in a shop. So I'm gonna go for it I guess!
What kind of lenses should I get first? Its a 18-55 with the kit I guess.
But what lens should I get in addition?

Any ideas?

Imperial (Feeling the photobug biting!!!)

Skipperrik

« Reply #31 on: 5 Aug 2007, 11:35 pm »
I just went through a month long search and analysis between the Nikon and Cannon cameras.  I discovered that some great deals are available on the D40.  You can get the complete kit for less than what the D40X body alone costs.  The trade off is 6 mpx in the D40 vs. 10.2 in the D40X.  I personally think that Nikon has hit a home run with the D40X and they will outsell any DSLR on the market.  There are some drawbacks though to the D40X that caused me to buy the D80 instead.  One is that the camera body doesn't have a focusing motor in it so you are very limited as to which autofocus lens you can use.  None of my current Nikon autofocus lenses are compatible with the D40/D40X.  The other is that there is no through the lens preview capability so you won't be able to preview the depth of field prior to releasing the shutter.  These factors combined with a much better menu system, more versatile focusing system, and better feel in the hand made me decide on the D80.

I also spent quite a bit of time looking at Cannon's Rebel XTI and D30 cameras.  When I compared the ergonomics, menu functionality, and versatility of lenses, Nikon was the clear winner.  Cannon has a big following though and I'm sure you will get plenty of different opinions.  They just didn’t fit my particular needs as well as the Nikon D80.

If you are just getting started with DSLR cameras and are on a budget, then either the D40 or D40X will do a great job for you.  For long-term growth opportunities though, I would consider the D80 if you can swing it.

Imperial

« Reply #32 on: 6 Aug 2007, 12:24 am »
I can swing to any cam I want really, but I don't need that much cam I guess :dunno:.
I know of the focusmotor stuff, I did test a Nikon D40x yesterday, someone I know brought hers by so I could have a look at it. I had my eyes set on a D200 at first, then I thought I would look at the D40 or x maybe.

I'm not a photo pro, I guess it will always stay amateur on this photo thing, but I sort of want a camera housing that I can have for some years.... You are right I should go for D80 or higher, or A D30 Canon or something.

Well, it's suddenly back to choosing housing again! Blast!!!  :lol:

The % offer is for any cam I so choose, so I get what... 10-20% off any purchase I make, which helps.
And then Nikon now has 120$ or so off the price of any cam at the moment, which also helps!!!

MAN!!! Ok... Back to square one! I need to settle for the housing first I guess, then look for the lenses!!!
D40/40x ...D80 or D200... What to choose... Well, lets start reading tests!!!
I will pester for more advice some time next week I guess!  :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2007, 01:23 am by Imperial »

Doublej

« Reply #33 on: 6 Aug 2007, 01:46 am »
I found Digital Photography Review to be an excellent site to help sort things out.

www.dpreview.com

Double Ugly

« Reply #34 on: 6 Aug 2007, 02:26 am »
Imperial,

I recently purchased this D200 package deal that includes the excellent Nikkor 18-200mm lens, and I couldn't be happier.  :thumb:

Based almost solely on the comments of and excellent pictures posted by JohnR, I very strongly considered the D40/D40X, but then - like you - I found myself climbing up the ladder to the D80.  I did a lot of research and sought the advice of folks much more experienced than I, and when all the votes were tallied, the D200 won by a landslide.

It's WAAAAAAY more than I need, but I wanted a camera that will do everything I want today and for years to come.  In the end, the D200 was an easy choice to make, especially when configured with such a sweet lens.

B&H doesn't have any in stock at the moment, but new shipments arrive almost daily. They'll have it again soon, but you'll need to act quickly if you're interested.  It's an extremely popular combo.

Just my take, one amateur to another!  :D

-Jim

PS - Make your way to Denver in October and I'll show you mine (camera, that is!)  :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 6 Aug 2007, 03:24 am »
Great choice DU :thumb:

The D40 with the kit lens has one of those "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" feels about it. The combination of price, light weight, and image quality just works very well. But, as has been pointed out endlessly on every camera forum ;) it doesn't have all the features of its bigger brothers.

The question on lenses very much comes down to what type of shooting you will do. Imperial, perhaps your friend would let you borrow hers for a couple of hours and you can see how often you want longer than 55mm (assuming it has the kit lens on it), and (perhaps) faster than f5.6.

But yeah, a roof over your head is probably more important than a new camera :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #36 on: 6 Aug 2007, 04:24 am »
Thanks, John!  :D

I was seriously impressed with the pictures you've taken with the D40, so much so that I'd pretty much made up my mind to get one.  It was while searching for recommended Internet retailers that I began wondering if I should move up the ladder.  The D40 certainly has its detractors, but it's slowly gaining more and more support from amateurs and pros alike.  Even so, it's virtually impossible to find D200 detractors, and the seemingly innumerable features and lens options will keep me busy for years to come!  :lol:

The D200 is a wonderful camera, but the fact is I likely would have been just as pleased with the D40.  I just wanted something a wee bit more future proof and flexible.

lazydays

« Reply #37 on: 6 Aug 2007, 04:35 pm »
I just went through a month long search and analysis between the Nikon and Cannon cameras.  I discovered that some great deals are available on the D40.  You can get the complete kit for less than what the D40X body alone costs.  The trade off is 6 mpx in the D40 vs. 10.2 in the D40X.  I personally think that Nikon has hit a home run with the D40X and they will outsell any DSLR on the market.  There are some drawbacks though to the D40X that caused me to buy the D80 instead.  One is that the camera body doesn't have a focusing motor in it so you are very limited as to which autofocus lens you can use.  None of my current Nikon autofocus lenses are compatible with the D40/D40X.  The other is that there is no through the lens preview capability so you won't be able to preview the depth of field prior to releasing the shutter.  These factors combined with a much better menu system, more versatile focusing system, and better feel in the hand made me decide on the D80.

I also spent quite a bit of time looking at Cannon's Rebel XTI and D30 cameras.  When I compared the ergonomics, menu functionality, and versatility of lenses, Nikon was the clear winner.  Cannon has a big following though and I'm sure you will get plenty of different opinions.  They just didn’t fit my particular needs as well as the Nikon D80.

If you are just getting started with DSLR cameras and are on a budget, then either the D40 or D40X will do a great job for you.  For long-term growth opportunities though, I would consider the D80 if you can swing it.

actually I think the real home run in a 10 meg DSLR is with the Pentax. You can use the common film camera lenses with it, with out a penalty like you do with a Nikon or fuji.
Those lenses a common and can be bought on the cheap. Another one I like is the Olympus Evolt with the tilt LCD screen and live viewing. This is a nice feature with shooting close to the ground, or near vertical shots.
    If you buy a Nikon, forget their lenses. They just ain't what they used to be. Lots of plastic inside of them anymore. I use almost nothing but Sigmas and Tokinas due to their quality. And while on the subject of lenses, rumor has it that the Schnider lenses will be standard OEM equipment on the Pentax camers in the near future. These lenses are about as good as it gets in a digital camera.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #38 on: 6 Aug 2007, 04:43 pm »
Thanks, John!  :D

I was seriously impressed with the pictures you've taken with the D40, so much so that I'd pretty much made up my mind to get one.  It was while searching for recommended Internet retailers that I began wondering if I should move up the ladder.  The D40 certainly has its detractors, but it's slowly gaining more and more support from amateurs and pros alike.  Even so, it's virtually impossible to find D200 detractors, and the seemingly innumerable features and lens options will keep me busy for years to come!  :lol:

The D200 is a wonderful camera, but the fact is I likely would have been just as pleased with the D40.  I just wanted something a wee bit more future proof and flexible.

a few months back I seriously considered buying a D200 for rapid indoor shooting, but had the chance to use a couple DX series Nikons. Think I may buy an S5 Fuji body. It's nothing more than a DX2 with the better sensor & heavyduty electronic power supply.
One thing that's rarely ever discussed in digital cameras is the powersupply for the flash and also the rest. Guys fry them all the time by using a film external flash that triggers on 24vt or more. A Fuji will trigger 100vt, but it's not recommended. So do beware.
gary

brj

« Reply #39 on: 6 Aug 2007, 05:51 pm »
Quote from: lazydays
actually I think the real home run in a 10 meg DSLR is with the Pentax. You can use the common film camera lenses with it, with out a
penalty like you do with a Nikon or fuji.

The D40 and D40x are the only cameras in Nikon's current DSLR line that can't drive older AF lenses.  Once you step up to the D80 (also 10MP) and above, you can drive almost anything.  I routinely use my old film lenses (Tamron, Sigma and Nikon, both AF and manual) on a D80.

If you buy a Nikon, forget their lenses. They just ain't what they used to be. Lots of plastic inside of them anymore. I use almost nothing but Sigmas and Tokinas due to their quality.

For reference, specifically which Nikon lenses did you find inferior to which Sigma and Tokina lenses?

Personally, I don't mind high quality plastic for lens barrels, as it is lightweight and seems better at withstanding impact (mental dents, plastic rebounds).  Plastic for the lens elements is another issue, although I haven't heard any such details regarding Nikon lenses.  I know they specifically mention glass for the ED elements, but I haven't seen details for the other elements.

And while on the subject of lenses, rumor has it that the Schnider lenses will be standard OEM equipment on the Pentax camers in the near future. These lenses are about as good as it gets in a digital camera.

Are those lenses actually manufactured by Schneider, or just designed by them?  I've read that some point-n-shoot cameras advertise Zeiss glass, for example, but it isn't actually manufactured by Zeiss or subject to their quality control.  Penetrating all of the marketing language can be exhausting at times...