WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8

tvad4

WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8
« on: 7 Jun 2007, 06:14 pm »
Looking for a used or demo pair of Gibbon 9 or Super 8. Original boxes and packing a must. I have already contacted my "local" dealer. Any leads are appreciated.

My Castle loudspeaker adventure has gone up in flames. First pair were delivered with damaged cabinets due to insufficient packing, and replacement pair were delivered with a faulty woofer. Discontinued model, so another replacement is not possible. I've decided to move on.

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2007, 02:00 pm by tvad4 »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: WTB: Devore Gibbon Super 9 or Super 8
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2007, 06:56 pm »
Hi tvad4,

You'll love either of those DeVores, but go for the Nines if you can  aa

Good luck with your search!

Vinnie

toobluvr

Re: WTB: Devore Gibbon Super 9 or Super 8
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2007, 02:16 am »

I have no experience with the larger DeVore floorstanders, but I just LOVE my Gibbon 3 monitors.  Teamed with a Blue Circle BC-24 in the bedroom, it produces a sound that is exquisitely nuanced, refined and musical.   

Based on this experience, I would seriously consider moving up the DeVore chain if I needed a larger speaker.

Good luck in your search!

mcullinan

Re: WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2007, 02:01 pm »
Sorry for my ignorance(I am a circle newbie), but what does bump mean?
Mike

Also Good Luck with your Gibbon search!!!!

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2007, 02:41 pm »
It's a bump upside yo' head that Grant still needs you to find him some DeVores.

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:28 pm »
Well, since you asked . . .  :D

mono sub vs. stereo bass - your call, there seems to be no consensus on this.

There's the school that says low bass separate from mains is inherently better, as mains can be positioned for vocal clarity and imaging, allowing subs to be placed where they work best.

Separate subs - I would want variable phase control, not just a 0/180 switch.  I think some of the folks commenting how the "speed" of their sub can't keep up with the mains is really a phase issue between the mains and subs.  I do think very quick speakers (hi-eff types especially) are more demanding here, but maybe not to the extent widely reported.  Variable phase Should be able to optimize in the room better.

When I had the Def. Pros with the TacT 2.2XP, I did a LOT of playing with XO points/slopes between the main and sub arrays.  Contrary to my expectations I found best results with a steeper slope set as low as possible.  I thought having more shared output would enhance blending, which it did but at the expense of muddying the XO range.  I would look at the FR of the DeVores.  My GUESS would be that if they drop quickly below their output range (as they should being ported) they should be fairly easy to blend with a sub.  If the slope is more shallow, I would guess the XO area will be tricky, as you'll have a fair amount of shared output.

One niggle I have about the 8's is that the port frequency is audible.  It's less prominent than with many other ported speakers, but it's definitely there.  This does contribute a nice punch with the right music but with a stand-up bass it's a minor detractor.  Going with a sub wouldn't patch the midbass hole, but it should extend the power zone of the port and widen that window which should be a good thing.  FWIW, my speakers are sealed and I'm more sensitive to the port issue than most folks, i.e. it might not bug you at all.

Fun times!

Hogg

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:14 pm »
Try that wonderful Leben amp on a pair of Tannoy dual-concentrics like the Glenair 10's :D

Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:28 pm »
My ACI Titan has variable phase adjustment and the Force uses the same amp.

-Raj

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:29 pm »
Hmmm . . . I'm no sub expert.  Generally, I prefer sealed boxes to ported and would be looking to something more music based than output/HT oriented.  Having some kind of low-pass-filter slope adjustment and parametric eq. would be nice too, at least one band.

I haven't shopped for subs for quite a while, so I just don't know which particular ones are good, sorry.

honesthoff

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:39 pm »
Might want to try The Stereo Trading Outlet in Jenkintown, PA.  Steve usually has a lot of demos and trades available, and he is a Devore dealer.  I really liked the Super 8's, but bought Revels there instead.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:49 pm »
I heard a prototype version of the Nines last summer (powered by the Signature 70s) and they had really nice bass response.  Since then, John DeVore has improved upon the design and I heard that they are even better.  I am highly considering getting a pair of the Nines myself... they should at least be heard if you can get an chance!   :drool:

miklorsmith

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:50 pm »
Tell me about it.  My setup is really complex and a pain to set up.  But, all that fussiness does allow tailoring to my preferences and the room.  Dammit!   :D

kyyuan

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:52 pm »
Mike, nothing's perfect. Certainly, the Castles were far from perfect, but they were inherently musical.

My gut tells me a used pair of Super Gibbon 8 for around $2k and something like Force XL sub for around $750 (although it doesn't have variable phase adjustment), will be as satisfying and a better bang-for-the-buck than a new pair of $6500 Gibbon 9.

What sub do you suggest with a variable phase adjustment that costs under $1k?

tvad4 --- what about TBI Magellan subs?  I do not have any personal experience with them, but have read/heard very nice things about them; more specifically, they are very fast and purportedly easier to blend-in with mains.  I'm looking into them, as well.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2007, 05:54 pm »
This is also a "fast sounding" sub and it is sealed:
http://www.zuaudio.com/mini_method.asp

I own one and it's really good, but a pair of 'em would even better! 8)

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2007, 06:24 pm »
REL subs are fast, musical and fairly easy to blend with the main speakers.  The signal can be obtained from your main amp's output, and RELs come complete with a specialty cable for doing so.  Since the sub gets the exact same bass signal as the main speakers, coherence and integration are enhanced, and the need for another preamp output and another set of interconnects is eliminated.

I have owned REL subs in the past, and they are good.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2007, 08:46 pm by toobluvr »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:42 pm »
i recommend you get a pair of passive (vmps) subs, a decent outboard (marchand, or even behringer, according to josh k) active x-over, and any decent pro-audio s/s amp to drive the subs.  you will smoke any powered sub combination at 1/3 the cost, imo...

a few reasons for this:
-two subs will load the room better, & give higher spl w/less distortion.
-two subs will give better soundstaging, regardless of what folks say about no stereo content at low frequencies.
-an outboard x-over like a marchand will have far better electronics than any plate amp.
-the outboard amp will be better, too. 
-if using a quality x-over, the sound of your monitors will improve a lot if crossed over at 40-80hz (depending on the monitor), because the monitor's woofer is freed of having to see the lowest freqeuncies.

your mileage will not vary...   :green:

doug s.

Mike, nothing's perfect. Certainly, the Castles were far from perfect, but they were inherently musical.

My gut tells me a used pair of Super Gibbon 8 for around $2k and something like Force XL sub for around $750 (although it doesn't have variable phase adjustment), will be as satisfying and a better bang-for-the-buck than a new pair of $6500 Gibbon 9.

What sub do you suggest with a variable phase adjustment that costs under $1k?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:50 pm »
I think we are getting a little off topic.

I think Tvad is looking for a simple or turnkey solution, not a monitor/sub/active crossover one.

George

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:00 pm »
funny, wasn't it tvad's posting i quoted, asking about super gibbon 8 w/subs, compared to gibbon 9?   :scratch:  imo, if tvad wants to get performance better than the gibbon 9's, for less cash, a sub set-up as i suggest, w/the super 8's, is the way to go...

doug s.

I think we are getting off topic and that Tvad is looking for a simple or turnkey solution, not a monitor/sub/active crossover one.

George

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:01 pm »
sorry, i won't say any more...    :?

doug s.
I think we are getting a little off topic.

I think Tvad is looking for a simple or turnkey solution, not a monitor/sub/active crossover one.

George
You are correct, George. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:23 pm »
i'm not tweaked; i yust thought marble's post was odd, as i thought my post was on-topic; & then whilst posting such, i read your post agreeing w/marbles.  ah, the wonders of web correspondence!   :wink:

regards,

doug s.

No reason to get tweaked, doug s. I appreciate your input.