WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:37 pm »
i'm not tweaked; i yust thought marble's post was odd, as i thought my post was on-topic; & then whilst posting such, i read your post agreeing w/marbles.  ah, the wonders of web correspondence!   :wink:

regards,

doug s.

No reason to get tweaked, doug s. I appreciate your input.

Did you mean me instead of Marbles?

George

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:46 pm »
oops.  yes.  now i really feel stupid!    :duh:

doug s.,

i guess the upper 90's temps here have gotten to me today...

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:51 pm »
oops.  yes.  now i really feel stupid!    :duh:

doug s.,

i guess the upper 90's temps here have gotten to me today...

George

No worries...go have a couple of cool ones and smile...   :beer:

George

mcullinan

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:51 pm »
Um... excuse me which way to the bathroom?
M

mcullinan

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:54 pm »
Hey what are those Super Gibbon 8s doing in the mens room.. hmm.. there are terminals coming out of the toilet and its hooked up to the gibbons... Wait let me flush... O snap... the toilet is a solid state amp and man this combo sounds sweet!
Me

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2007, 10:53 pm »
Now two bad top firing woofers in the Castles. I can get replacement woofers, but the long term reliability of the drivers, and the scarcity of replacements is an issue.

Too bad, because the Castles are very nice sounding speakers and a great match with the CS-600.

Looking at a short list of Devore Super Gibbon 8 (perhaps with a sub), Devore Gibbon 9, or Silverline Sonata III. All three have 90dB+ sensitivity and 8 ohm nominal impedance with relatively flat impedance curves. Good matches for the Leben...at least on paper.

Tvad,

Can't vouch for the Sonata III's, but I owned the Sonata II's and they were easily driven by 15 and 18 watt SET amps.

They Sonata II's weren't the last word in resolution, but they were really enjoyable and would just pull you into the music.

George

WEEZ

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:29 pm »
The only Silverlines I've heard have been the 15 &17 two ways. Very nice.

tvad, have a look at these..   www.coincidentspeaker.com/partial.htm

Pay particular attention to the impedence ratings...

good luck

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:36 pm »
Usually, it's the sensitivity that's exagerated a bit....

Coincident speakers are 'always' used with tubes at shows. Impedence is more important than sensitivity anyway.

(I'm not promoting Coincident...please don't misunderstand...)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:26 am »
i haven't heard the coincident partial eclipses, but i own a pair of coincident victory's.  fantastic speakers.  rated at 14 ohms & 97db sensitivity, they are easily driven to loud spl's w/a 5wpc almarro a205a-mkll from its 16 ohm speaker taps.  you can find them used every so often at ~$2500/pair or a bit less. (original retail was $5k.)

coincident still makes the victory-ll - same speaker w/re-worked x-over, their best internal wire, & coincident's new extender feet.  retail is now $6k...  i am considering the possibility of getting my victory's upgraded to the series-ll; coincident will do it for $800, (cuz i do not need the feet - i have them on 10" stands. otherwise it's $1k, w/the feet.)  the total victory-ll, (retail $13k),  is the same speaker, except 10" taller, & it has built in subwoofers.  i don't need the built-in woofers, as i run a pair of vmps subs.  but increasing the height really helps the soundstaging.   :wink:

victory-ll:           total victory-ll:

http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:02 am »
my experience w/the victory's is the imagine definitely extends beyond the speaker boundaries - if the info is present on the recording.  these speakers image fantastic - even better than my diapason adamantes lll's, which are known for their imaging.  and, the ribbon tweet is fantastic - extremely airy, extended treble, but still sweet, w/no fatigue at all...

doug s.

Does the image extend well beyond the boundaries of the Coincidents? One comment I have read about Coincidents is that the image size is fairly contained within a smallish sweetspot. I had this with my Von Schweikerts, and I'm really interested in a different room filling presentation. The Castle Howards provide this in spades.

Is this your experience with the Coincidents?

toobluvr

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2007, 07:27 pm »
Over the years I have owned several Coincident models, up through the Super Eclipse, so I am very familiar with the Coincident sound.  I currently own DeVore Gibbons monitors, and if its sound holds through the larger floorstanders, I would say the Coincidents provide a performance that would tend to appeal to the more cerebral listener, while the Devores offer a more emotional listen that will appeal to the heart of a music lover.

This is not to knock the Coincidents.  They are excellent, excellent speakers and truly are useful to lovers of low power tubes, and those who seek detail and nueance.  Simply a matter of different strokes for different folks.  Taste and priorities will be determinative, and while my tastes fall into the DeVore camp, many folks will prefer the Coincidents.

PS:  I second George's (Zybar) opinion about the musical prowress of the Sonatas.  I always enjoyed listening to them and they never failed to captivate and pull me into the performance.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2007, 07:53 pm »
Over the years I have owned several Coincident models, up through the Super Eclipse, so I am very familiar with the Coincident sound.  I currently own DeVore Gibbons monitors, and if its sound holds through the larger floorstanders, I would say the Coincidents provide a performance that would tend to appeal to the more cerebral listener, while the Devores offer a more emotional listen that will appeal to the heart of a music lover.

This is not to knock the Coincidents.  They are excellent, excellent speakers and truly are useful to lovers of low power tubes, and those who seek detail and nueance.  Simply a matter of different strokes for different folks.  Taste and priorities will be determinative, and while my tastes fall into the DeVore camp, many folks will prefer the Coincidents.

PS:  I second George's (Zybar) opinion about the musical prowress of the Sonatas.  I always enjoyed listening to them and they never failed to captivate and pull me into the performance.
i can understand this comment re: the coincidents.  if you do not use them with true subwoofers, capable of flat response to 20hz...   :wink:

doug s.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:02 pm »
Hi Tvad,

I used to own a pair of the VR4 Gen III HSE just like your speakers.

Prior to the VR4 I owned two different pairs of Coincident speaker.

I first purchased the Total Eclipse LCR (stand mounted monitor) and used them with a Martin Logan Grotto sub.  This was an excellent setup and produced a very musical presentation.  The problem was I didn't know what I was doing being a new guy to audio and was using Krell solid state. 

I then upgraded to a floorstanding pair of Super Eclipse II.  These were really nice speakers and allowed me to go to two channel without the need for a sub. 

I really liked the Revelator tweeter that Mr. Blume modifies to his specifications.  It is ultra revealing and is a top notch performer.

I no longer own any of the above speakers but really enjoyed them all.  I am a big Coincident fan and always will be.  Their speakers got me started in high end audio.

I always wanted to try the new Victory II but that was before I purchased my new speakers....Salk HT3.

Good luck on your journey.

Nick

mcullinan

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:30 pm »
If I am in the woods listening to Gibbon 8s eating bananas simutaneously, and a Gibbon 9 falls from a tree in another forest. Does it make more of a bassy thud than the Gibbon 8?
 :lol: :roll:
Jesus what does it mean.. idk.
Mike

eric the red

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:35 pm »

i can understand this comment re: the coincidents.  if you do not use them with true subwoofers, capable of flat response to 20hz...   :wink:

doug s.
It's unlikely I will be using any speakers with a subwoofer.

After reading through this thread, I'm guessing tvad is not interested in using a subwoofer

eric the red

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:42 pm »
After reading through this thread, I'm guessing tvad is not interested in using a subwoofer
I'd prefer not to use a sub, but I'm not totally against a single sub, connected line level and without an external crossover.

K.I.S.S. principle at work.

I hear ya-I just bought a stereo pair of subs from Gooberdude and they scared me so much sitting in the unopened boxes that I sold them  unhooked up/unheard :icon_lol:

TomS

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jun 2007, 08:28 pm »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jun 2007, 08:48 pm »

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jun 2007, 09:36 pm »