Latest Music Archive: 03/21/03 - 08/02/03

bob82274

« on: 22 Mar 2003, 01:18 am »
Just picked up two of the Police SACDs.

Reggatta de Blanc-  This is the only Police studio album that I didn't have.  Good music.  I need some more time with it until I get a good feel for it.

Ghost In the Machine-  This is my favorite Police album.  When I had first heard it I couldn't stand it.  But something kept making me listen to it.  Not really sure what it was but glad I did.  A very dark album for those of you who arn't familiar with it.  

Almost picked up Syncronicity but pocketbook prevented that.  I have a major purchase next tuesday with several things coming out including Dark Side of the Moon.

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2003, 10:38 pm »
Ok picked up DSOTM today as I said I would. My impressions can be found in this thread which is dedicated to the album.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1798&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

bundee1

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2003, 06:01 am »
The Soundtrack Of Our Lives- Behind The Music ok, pop. some songs great others mediocre.

The Velvet Underground & Nico(digitally remastered)-self titled great album as a whole
Ill Be Your Mirror and Femme Fatale stand out for their production and Nicos vocals

Sigur Ros- Aegatis Bynum

Pink Floyd- DSOTM SACD in one word AWESOME every aspect of it

The Rapture- ep and album sound like a cross between the cure and joy division.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2003, 07:19 am »
Bjork - Selmasongs
very cool, moody, and catch songs.  mesmerizing.

Dvorak - Symphonies 7, 8, and 9.  Performed by Christoph von Dohnanyi and the Cleveland Orchestra
Performances are overall quite good, if a little bland compared to the very best I've heard (kubelik and kersetz), but very excellent recordings help a lot.

Dvorak Cello conerto - 2 recordings, one with Schiff playing and Previn conducting, the other with Harrell playing and Ashkenazy playing.  Will be doing some intensive listening and comparisons to Fournier/Szell this weekend.

EDIT:
Listened to both cello concerto's - the Ashkenazy/Harrel version, quite dissapointing - neither one seems to "get" the piece.  comes off as overly emphatic from Ashkenazy, and unemotional from harrell.  Schiff/Previn is a different story - they both "get" the piece, and actually offer an interesting interpretation (more lyrical and flowing than most), but do not displace DuPre or Fournier from my top spot.

cjr888

This week's purchases...
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2003, 12:06 am »
None But the Righteous - The Masters of Sacred Steel: Buy this album.  Essentially John Medeski put together a collection of steel guitar/lap steel tracks of his favorite artists.  Terrific Collection, great mysic.  Lots of Campbell Brothers and Sonny Treadway with a handful of other artists of the 17 tracks.  Absolutely love this album.  While you're at it, go buy every Medeski, Martin, and Wood album out there.

Tori Amos - 1000 Oceans B-Side: Includes the album version and a live version of Baker Baker and Winter.  The two lives tracks are absolutely amazing.  If you like Tori Amos and you don't have this one, buy it now.

Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio - In Full Swing (SACD): Another album to go out and buy.  Heard him playing live on 90.7 in NYC and instantly ran out to grab the album...then realized it was on SACD as well.  Great stuff, super recording.

Ani Difranco - Evolve: Enjoy it, but with of Ani's new releases it can be hit or miss with me wanting to listen to it over and over again, or occasionally.  I think this one will grow on me, but need a few more tries.

The Police - Live (SACD): always enjoyed the album, though I was never a fan of the recording.  SACD version does sound good, but actually hoped for a bit more....

Matthia Lupri Quartet w/George Garzone - Shadow of the Vibe: Vibraphone, Sax, Acoustic Bass, and Drums...  Good recording, can get into a lot of tracks.   Used bin grab.

Sergio and Odair Assad Play Piazzolla: Amazing guitar work.

Dark Side of the Moon (SACD): Enjoy the music as always -- found a bit more focus on effects.  Found much greater improvement for some reason in the first half to 2/3 of the album -- maybe had just adjusted to the improvement by then.  Wasn't a choice in buying, simply had to.

Pure Jazz Encore!  19 of the Greatest Jazz Recordings Ever!: One of your typical Jazz highlight/compilations..  Was in the used bin, so grabbed it..  Your typical Basie, Holiday, Krall, Nat, Django, Sarah, Ellington, Parker, Coltraine mix.  A lot of good tracks.  Bought primarily because I couldn't find the live version of Nina Simone doing Feeling Good, and it was the first track.  Love her rendition, love the song, love the recording.  Just heavenly.

The Minus 5: Down With Wilco: A Tragedy in Three Halfs: Still haven't had a chance to finish listening to the album, but typically pickup any side project of Wilco, Tweedy, and the like....

Foreven Phishin' - The Bluegrass Tribute to Phish: Like bluegrass, like Phish, why not?

John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen' (SACD): Next in the queue, still haven't had a chance to listen to yet.

Oscar Peterson Trio - The Legendary Oscar Peterson Trio: Good album, not 100% for me.

The Pogues - Hell's Ditch: Good, but primarily bought as I recently heard a Pogues song that I loved, new I didn't own, and blindly started grabbing albums I didn't have in an effort to find the song...not having the slightest clue what the name is.  :)

Vanilla Sky - Soundtrack: Bought a used copy as my copy continually seems to disappear on me.  Have half the songs on regular albums, but its just a good mix of tracks put together.

Not recently purchased, but popped the Magnolia soundtrack by Aimee Mann back in after not hearing it for awhile.  Great album -- if you don't own it, buy it.  The first track, "One", is worth the purchase of the entire album in my mind.

Will mention the next stack tomorrow...

BlackCat

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2003, 07:29 pm »
Mediaeval Baebes - The Rose

A bunch of English chicks singing Mediaeval type songs.  Apparently they take "olde english" (re: Chaucer) stories and such and set them to music using instruments appropriate to the time (lutes and such).  Very interesting, nice recording, some excellent female vocals.  Good sound stage demo because there are like 12 chicks singing, and all the instruments are acoustic.  I checked out their webpage, and they're all pretty good looking.  It was particularly interesting that they are performing live at Witchfest in London this November.  Hmmm....me and a dozen good looking witches....the mind boggles

http://www.mediaevalbaebes.com/index2.htm

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2003, 07:40 pm »
CJR,

Must commend you on your good taste.  I am a bit of a Tori Amos fan but I have not looked into this alb you make reference to.  Does it include a track of Tori & Maynard singing the duet of Mohammed My Friend?

I love the Vanilla Sky Sndtrk, it is one of my favorite sndtrks right up there with Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2003, 07:57 pm »
BlackCat: they do in fact write some music and set their own lyrics and old peoms to it, but a great bulk of their stuff is traditional music.  The Rose is a very good album, probably their best album in a few years (it's their fourth album, at least in the US).  For traditional type stuff, their debut album "Salva Nos" is superb, maybe their best.  "Worlds Blyss" is also good, and although I like the album, "Undrentide" is almost New  Age.  A lot more synths and pop sounds.

cjr888

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2003, 09:50 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
CJR,

Must commend you on your good taste.  I am a bit of a Tori Amos fan but I have not looked into this alb you make reference to.  Does it include a track of Tori & Maynard singing the duet of Mohammed My Friend?

I love the Vanilla Sky Sndtrk, it is one of my favorite sndtrks right up there with Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting.

Just one of the 3-track little mini b-side CDs....

I think the version with Tori and Maynard isn't on any disc -- I know I've heard it -- maybe I have it on a bootlet at home.  I think it was at MSG actually in 1997.  I know its on a live VHS tape they had put out, but pretty sure its not a disc...

Two soundtracks that I really took a liking to were The Royal Tannebaums and the Wonder Boys soundtrack.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2003, 01:08 am »
Sigur Ros "( )"--this is one of the most infectious CD's I've heard in a long time. Atmospheric and rather ethereal with vocalizing in Icelandic and a made-up language (reminiscent of Lisa Gerrard & Dead Can Dance).

Also traded the local vinyl store for Amanda McBroom (sealed) on Sheffield Labs, a sealed Steeleye Span, several other SS, Koko Taylor, U2 12" single, Enya & The Roches.  Still, I'm not sure I can get Sigur Ros out of the CD player long enough to turn the phono preamp on.

ABEX

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2003, 03:09 am »
Really Pissed at myself  :oops:

I went out tonight to pick up some used music and did alittle research on Danny Elfman formaly of Oingo Boingo and I knew he did soundtracks.Well at a site it listed Batman as one that he did so I saw it and bought it.

On the was home I put it in and start listening when I notice this voice I know and it was Prince the fagot!I once saw him in LA and he started grabing himself and saying homo shit to the crowd and they in return started tthrowing bottles at him ,deservingly!

A real FLAME! :flame:

No one needs to go to a concert to hear that kind of shit! :evil:

On the up side J.Geils,George Throughgood and the Stones played after him to help me to forget what I had just witnessed!

Well I do not care for the guy anyways and he's a pretty boy and all !Conceited and thinks he's a genius .Well I think his genius is between his legs and he can do whatever he wants,just don't need for him to do it on my system!

Anyone need Batman? I think I'll take the loss on this one and sell it back!

On the up side I got 2 Peter Townsend CD's and A Souxie and the Banshee's CD I 've been  looking for.

Carlman

'I Am Sam' Rules
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2003, 12:12 am »
I came here to post about an album my wife and I bought that I think is awesome.  It's the "I Am Sam" soundtrack.  It's a bunch of Beatles remakes that sound really good.  There's lots of acoustic guitar, great clear vocals, and most songs use real instruments.  I've listened to it every day for 3 days and it just keeps rockin'.  Great road trip CD as well.

I also bought Coldplay Parachutes and the new one... Rush of Blood to the Head.  I like Parachutes but, I'm not nuts about the new one.  Maybe it's one of those you have to warm up to....  

If you like the Beatles and new rock/alternative artists, I highly recommend the 'I Am Sam' soundtrack.

ABEX

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2003, 12:16 am »
I have Parachutes also and am glad that you posted the second one is not as good.Thx!

Do not know about Beatles remakes though.Might check it out before buying it.

cjr888

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2003, 12:33 am »
Regarding Coldplay I feel similar.  With the latest release I take to a few songs well, but a lot of the tracks I have my finger sitting on the 'Next' button ready to skip.  Some alright tracks, but not cohesive as an album.

ABEX

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2003, 12:44 am »
There are alot of CD's I feel the same about.If I get a CD these days I really like more than 3 tunes off I think it's Gold!Stan Ridgway and Chris Whitley are exceptions to the rule of the top of my head.

[/quote]With the latest release I take to a few songs well, but a lot of the tracks I have my finger sitting on the 'Next' button

BlackCat

« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2003, 02:56 pm »
Picked this one up a while ago, we briefly discussed it over on the Odyssey circle.... Klaus & hairofthedawg are big fans of...

Wishbone Ash - Argus (Remastered)

These guys had probably two of the greatest guitarists to ever play together.  The synergy between them is simply profound.  Although Wishbone Ash was overshadowed by other BIG bands of their time (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple), they were a great band, and Argus was a great album.  Simply sizzling guitar work, great vocals.  The remastering is extremely well done.  They don't play guitar like this anymore guys.

ABEX

« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2003, 04:59 pm »
I was trying to get Wishbone Ash New England and it was gone.You trade music?

I got T.Rex Electrec last night.If your into trading CDR recorded stuff drop me a line.I have 600 CD's of various stuff.

george king

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2003, 08:59 pm »
I picked up the CD, Sleeping dogs, and the SACD, Still, both from the band Martha's trouble (www.marthastrouble.com).  This would be folk type music.  Kind of a cross between Alanis Morrisette, Eva Cassidy and Norah Jones.

Well worth a listen, the female vocalist has an amazing voice.

ABEX

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2003, 12:39 am »
Anyone want a Jose Carrera CD.

Went to my place of used CD's last night to see what was there for $2 CD's and his was one I picked up because I had heard good things,but I was unaware he is a Tenor and I am not into Oprea.

Picked up Yanni,Lake,Phil Maznaera(?),Movie Hits-Classical,Pipe Organ-For Bass testing,Steve Vai and an unheard of Alan Parsons Project CD.

Total of 9 CD's for $25.Not a bad hunt. :)

BlackCat

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2003, 05:42 pm »
Abex:

Which Phil Manzanera did you get?  Phil was the guitarist for Roxy Music, his CD's are a bit hard to find (except on his website - and the prices are in British Pounds).  I think Diamond Head is a great album,  but some of his other stuff like K-Scope can be a bit hard to swallow if you're not high as a kite.  Great guitar work on all of them though.