Latest Music Archive: 03/21/03 - 08/02/03

ABEX

« Reply #20 on: 26 Apr 2003, 10:16 pm »
Phil Manzanera:Southern Cross 1991
I always thought he was part of the Doors,but it's been awhile since I did research into him. There was one done by the ex-doors keyboardist that has a similar name.
  I like one of the tracks that I have played.I am mostly into Instramentals so it's fine for $2.Vocals I need to get use to .Kinda on the mellow side,but I only did a fast audition of it.I can tell most of the time just by the past through weather it hits the right chord with me .If by the second round it does not then I wasted my time.
   For $2 I do not bitch about it though. The title tune was good so far. :wink:

ABEX

« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2003, 10:20 pm »
Here is the research I found on Phil Manzanera.I really like this site for research BTW!Best I have found.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

bob82274

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2003, 03:59 am »
I second AMG.  It lets ya see similar artists and gives reveiws on the different albums.  Hightly recommended.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2003, 04:46 am »
Quote from: bob82274
I second AMG.  It lets ya see similar artists and gives reveiws on the different albums.  Hightly recommended.

Another method for finding related artists--
http://www.gnoosic.com/

You type in artists you like, and a computer generates a "universe" of related artists---how far away from the center the artist is, the less related.
Try it, it's free.

cjr888

Recent Purchases..
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2003, 09:36 pm »
Recent Purchase:

Moe - Wormwood

Galactic - Vintage Reserve

Widespread Panic - Ball

Blue Man Group - The Complex

The Reindeer Section - Son of Evil Reindeer

The Flaming Lips - Fight Test

The Roots of Acid Jazz - Various / Impulse!

Suzanne Vega - Retrospective, The Best of Suzanne Vega

Sonny Terry w/Johnny Winter & Willie Dixon - Whoppin'

Cinema Classics 9 - Classical Music Made Famous in Films / Naxos

Romeo and Juliet - Projofiev, Ballet Suites Nos 1 & 2, Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra / Stainislaw Skrowaczewski, and A Night on Bald Mountain - Moussorgsky / London Symphony Orchestra / Antal Dorati (Mercury Living Presence)

Music From SummerFest La Jolla 1999 - Mozart Trio in E Flat, K498 (Kegelstatt) and Tchaikovsky Souvenie de Florence, Presented by La Jolla Chamber Music Society (BBC Music)

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee - Absolutely the Best

Idlewild - The Remote Part

Robert Lockwood, Jr - Delta Crossroads

The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in My Backyard

Stan Getz and Chet Baker - Stan Meets Chet

Bill Frisell - The Intercontinentals

Lucinda Williams - Music that Matters to Her - her favorites, not her music.

Amon Tobin - Out from No where

Johnny Shines - Skull and Crossbones Blues

Hear Music - Volume 8 - Between Stories, An Introduction to Your Favorite Song

Reverend Gary Davis - The Guitar and Banjo of Reverend Gary Davis

James Galway - A Song of Home - An American Musical Journey

Free Samplers:

Breadfoot, Queens of the Stone Age - Feel Good Hit of the Summer, Cave In, E.Town Concrete, Hed Planet Earth, Holiday Hangover Remedy - Various.

ABEX

« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2003, 09:46 pm »
And what did you pay?

I have been trying to get CD's for $3 or less that are respectable.

Today I got 3 John Cougars ,a Robert Plant CD plus one movie compilation CD(classical) for $9.90US.I found a bunch of great stuff for under $3 at the local CD hole.I think I tapped them out now.Found some great stuff over the last few weeks though.I still go to a Pawnsshop to buy 3 CDs for $10 which is respectable also.Call me a miser it's ok! 8)

I have heard of MOE which I want to try!

bob82274

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2003, 09:49 pm »
My someone has been busy...

cjr888

« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2003, 10:17 pm »
Regarding moe. -- do you have a CD burner?

BlackCat

« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2003, 02:32 pm »
Abex:

The keyboard player for the Doors was Ray Manzarek, I've heard good things about his solo work, but haven't obtained any.  I just picked up a rather strange "20-bit" remaster of:

Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

11 bucks at Best Buy

Great album,  brings back lots of "smoky" memories, but still holds it own in musicality and creativity...worth a listen if you're not familiar with it.  Also got the new Rosanne Cash, but haven't had chance for a critical listen yet.

cjr888

Recent
« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2003, 03:02 pm »
Reason I inquired whether you had a CD burner is that there are a rediculous amount of .SHN files available on the web of moe. shows as they are a band that promotes trading of live shows.

Regarding my last recent purchase, I really enjoy "The Reindeer Section - Son of Evil Reindeer" -- if you're into a lot of current Brit music -- your Belle and Sebastian, and the like, you'd probably enjoy it.  The "The Flaming Lips - Fight Test" I enjoyed, especially after Yoshimi, but was hoping for a bit better sound quality on this one.  Sonny Terry albums I had bought after hearing two albums with tracks I thought were amazing -- store didn't have the ones I wanted, so grabbed them anyway -- good, but will have to do an online order to grab the ones I was really after.  Had bought "The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in My Backyard" to satisfy rememberence of a time past when I really enjoyed this album somehow.  Still provided great humor though.  Really enjoying the "Bill Frisell - The Intercontinentals" album and suggest everyone give it a listen.  "James Galway - A Song of Home - An American Musical Journey" is an amazing CD -- another suggestion to all.

New purchases:

Arab Strap: Monday at the Hug and Pint - Somewhat disappointed here as they greatly changed their style for this and found too much synthesizer, etc.  The lead of either I am Kloot or Kings of Convenience just put out a solo album that I wanted to hear badly and found the same thing -- odd poppy beats through the entire album.  Disappointed when I was hoping for great vocals and a moody album.

Turin Brakes: Ether Song

Dizzy Gillespie: Matrix - Includes three albums: The Real Thing, Portrait of Jenny, and Giants.

Yo La Tengo: Summer Sun

Dizzy Gillespie: "Have Trumpet, Will Excite!"

Afro-Cuban All Stars: "A Toda Cuba le Gusta"

A Band of Bees: Sunshine Hit Me - Really like this album.

Skatalites: The Best of the Skatalites, Guns of Navarone

Deep Banana Blackout: Release the Grease, Live

The Jazz Mandolin Project: Jungle Tango

Trey Anastasio: Plasma

Next week I'm hoping to find that the new Jack Johnson album, On and On, is not too poppy, though with recently popularity, I have a hunch that this will not be the case...  Also Looking to also grab Leadbelly "Take This Hammer: The Complete RCA Victor Recordings".  Only other thing that looks interesting for Tuesday is Black Uhuru: Anthem, Blur: Think Tank, and Augustus Pablo: Rockers Meet King Tubby's in A Fire House,.

One other thing I need to look into is that on one list for May 6th, I see four Nick Drake releases -- simply remasters of Bryter Later, Five Leaves Left, Pink Moon, and Way to Blue: An Introduction To..  Thing is, they released remasters of the the Drake albums in the last year, and I thought they had for all of them, in addition to updating the box set.  Huge Drake fan, so curious....

May 13th I see nothing interesting besides a Sigur Ros CD single.  My wallet and girlfriend thank the recording industry for providing nothing of value that week.

nathanm

nobody will know what the hell I am talking about
« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2003, 08:58 pm »
Obituary - Slowly We Rot (reissue)

This is one of those "let's make the idiots buy it TWICE" deals where a sticker is applied claiming "24-bit remastering!"  Then they throw on some old crappy B-sides, redo the inlay, have someone write sentimental liner notes and bob's your uncle.  Anyway, since I've only ever had this great album on cassette I figured it was time to get a CD.

Although it's nice to see the cover art in a larger size, the rest of the graphic design didn't do it for me.  I am thinking of making my own instead.  There are too many people doing work for record labels that have no business launching Quark in the first place.

Anyway, listening to it on my new "hi-fi literate" system wasn't too bad.  Of course, it did not have the same initial impact on me it did 12 years ago.  Still, I noticed some interesting things like reverse phased vocals (which really cooks if you've got the equilateral triangle action happening) and such.  The addition of the subwoofer showed that yes, there is actual bass information in Scott Burns kick drums.  Luckily this was that raw 8-track recording they made such a stink about in the ad copy back in the day.  I also got the "Cause Of Death" reissue where Burns inserts his trademark typewriter kicks.  :flak:  What are they thinking? "Slowly We Rot" is overall a better sounding record.  The vocals are what really makes this album what it is.  Seems they knew this as they are quite loud in the mix.  Death metal like this hasn't been made since, not least of all by Obituary themselves, from what I've heard.

What amazed me is that you can actually find lyrics for this record online.  I am not sure if people have translated them or what, but it's pretty nifty to read.   I always thought the mystical appeal of Obituary was that the vocals were purely phonetic.  I guess not...

Volleyball, join me!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2003, 10:08 pm »
My newest purchase was Mark Knopfler's The Princess Bride soundtrack.  I love the movie, and I'd been meaning to get the soundtrack CD for years.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2003, 10:57 pm »
Beethoven - Piano Concerto's 1-5 and the Triple Concerto
Performed by Leon Fleisher with the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra conducted by George Szell.  Classic performances and not too bad sound.  

Bach Recital - performed on guitar by Segovia.  Haven't listened to it yet, been busy with the beethoven above :-)

Bach - Goldberg Variations.  Performed by Ton Koopman on harpsichord.  I'm still a fan of bach on piano, but am warming to the harpsichord.  I do have to say that they record the harpsichord pretty hot and pretty close, so drop the volume on your preamp a notch or 2.

Ravel - Complete Solo Piano music.  Performed by Angela Hewitt.  I'll get to it when I'm done with the Beethoven :-D

mgalusha

Vinyl Additions
« Reply #33 on: 7 May 2003, 11:33 pm »
Lately I've been purchasing mostly vinyl. Made a trip downtown last week to a vinyl only store. :)

Count Basie Big Band - Me and You. The jacket was Count Basie meets Oscar Peterson - The Timekeepers but the record inside wasn't. I looked at the record but not the label.  :nono:

Louis Prima & Keely Smith - Louis Prima Digs Keely Smith. Very different from the Columbia recordings.

The Who - Quadrophenia. I have disliked this on CD since I bought it years ago. I had always liked the LP and now I have it again. The magic is back.

Quadrant - Ray Brown, Milt Jackson, Joe Pass & Mickey Roker. I hadn't heard of this grouping but given that I really like the playing of Ray Brown and Milt Jackson it seemed worth a shot. Quite good.

Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs - Hard Travelin'.  A 1963 Columbia pressing and quite a good recording. Lester Flatt's vocals are spooky good.

Duke Ellington & Count Basie - First Time - The Count meets The Duke. What a great record. I own this on SACD but couldn't resist an original 1962 vinyl copy.

Jimmy Smith - Hoocie Cooche Man. Jimmy Smith does amazing things with a Hammond B3.

Also picked up some new vinyl from Elusive Disc.

Ray Brown - Soular Energy. This is the Pure Audiophile records release on blue vinyl. Fabulous record if you are a Ray Brown/Gene Harris fan. Outrageously good sound.

Count Basie - Chairman Of The Board. This is a Classic Records reissue from the Roulette Birdland Series. Very very good music and a great pressing. Dead quiet thanks to Classic's 200g "Quiex SV-P" vinyl.

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - Recording Together For The First Time. Another Classic Records reissue. This is a 3G's recording - Great music, Great recording, Great pressing.  :D

Louis Armstrong - Satchmo Plays King Oliver. More great tunes from Louis Armstrong and another great release from Classic Records.

I actually did pick up a few new CD's as well.

Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio - In Full Swing. This album is mostly a tribute to  Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt. Guests are Wynton Marsallis and Jane Monheit.

Mark O'Connor - Hot Swing!. A great concert that really captures the emotion of the players. If you like swing music, this a almost a must own.

Mike

rosconey

« Reply #34 on: 8 May 2003, 09:11 pm »
man with those selections maybe i shouldnt mention my- doors,the very best of-as seen on tv-digitally remastered , no i grabbed it at k-fart lastnight. :lol:  does anyone have a media play around?i went there first and the racks were empty, not a good sign-sooo i went too the k-fart across the street.
my intent was to find something from -big head todd and the monsters of rock, but i cant find them anywere :evil: time too look online i guess.

cjr888

« Reply #35 on: 9 May 2003, 12:12 am »
The Mark O'Connor discs mentioned above are really great BTW.

Also picked up:

Son House - Revisited
Jack Johnson - On and On
Skip James - Rare and Unreleased / Studio Sessions
Blur - Think Tank
Arturo Sandoval - Trumpet Evolution
Lowell Fulson - The Ol' Blues Singer

Sa-dono

« Reply #36 on: 9 May 2003, 01:57 am »
Quote from: cjr888

Also picked up:

Jack Johnson - On and On

Let me/us know what you think of this album once you get a chance to give it a good listen. Thanks! :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 9 May 2003, 03:11 am »
Rosconey, the new BHT&tM's album is available at Wal-Mart, along with several older ones.

I have the first two albums, although I really only listen to the first one.

mgalusha

« Reply #38 on: 9 May 2003, 03:14 am »
Quote from: cjr888
Also picked up:

Son House - Revisited
Lowell Fulson - The Ol' Blues Singer

Let me know how these two are. I have some recordings with Son House on them but not a full disc. Really like the blues and those two sound interesting.

Mike

BlackCat

« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2003, 07:23 pm »
Ok...I finally got around to getting a critical listen to...

Roseanne Cash - Rules of Travel

I always thought she was C&W, but I heard some tracks from this CD on the radio, and got it.  She's not, she's actually sort of middle-of-the-road easy listening.  Pretty, soft ballad type songs.  She sings beautifully, and there's even a duet with dad.  There are several nice and catchy tunes on this CD, and overall, it's a nice listening experience.  A friend of mine commented that it reminded him of Linda Ronstadt way back in the Stone Poney days, and it does have that feel to it.  The recording is top notch, and the musicians are all superb.  Definently a nice "change of pace" CD, wouldn't be bad for a romantic evening with your lady friend (if any of you guys have one ;) )  I give it 4 stars.