A Sad Commentary

Dan Banquer

A Sad Commentary
« on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:58 pm »
If this doesn't make you shed a tear or two than you are made of stone:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html?referrer=digg

It's things like this that tell me that the music education and music appreciation in this country is near dead.

d.b.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2007, 04:11 pm by Dan Banquer »

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Re: A Sad Commentary
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:35 pm »
Very sad indeed!  But, then again, it's equally dismaying to see far more empty seats, than filled, during local symphony performances (the Florida Orchestra, which is quite good).  Too few Americans are willing to take the time to listen, and appreciate, quality music.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:41 pm »
Guess I'm made of stone. 

It was a stupid experiment.  Come on now, it was in the middle of the morning rush hour!!  People don't have time to stop and smell the roses let alone pause for an impromptu concert.  Your employer expects you to show up on time.  They don't care if Mozart or Metallica doing a free gig down the street.  Sheesh... :duh:

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:45 pm »
Hmmm...there's a lot to think about with this one...thanks for the link Dan!

weirdo

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:55 pm »
Freaking sad they could not or would not recognize what was going on.   It goes to a lack of cultural literacy. I'll bet if that were to happen in a St. Petersburg Russia train station,  they would have gathered by the hundreds and then given him a critique of his performance later.

We are missing a lot of things in this country. Lack of caring about the arts is just the tip of it. Most Americans are culturally, politically,scientifically,financially and ecologically uninformed. I mean most.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:57 pm »
I'll bet if that were to happen in a St. Petersburg Russia train station,  they would have gathered by the hundreds and then given him a critique of his performance later.

That's because nobody works in Russia...

bprice2

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:06 pm »
I have to agree with Wind Chaser.  What if they did this experiment at 6 p.m. on a Friday?

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:14 pm »
I seem to remember Paul McCartney doing something like this in London...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:23 pm »
What if they did this experiment at 6 p.m. on a Friday?

Wouldn't make much difference.  Fact is most people don't listen to music like this nor do they buy music like this either...

And spare me the indignant cultural crap because I don't see much music like this posted in the What are you listening to right now thread...

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:28 pm »

Wouldn't make much difference.  Fact is most people don't listen to music like this nor do they buy music like this either...

I disagree...in NYC subways, you regularly see crowds gathering to see/hear musicians play...and yes, time of day and location makes a difference.  Of course, NYC subways also probably have a lot more tourists running around compared to what was done at this DC thing)...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:32 pm »
I've been at that station several times when I lived in DC.  It's a major station downtown and it has several lines running thru it to all parts of District and the surrounding areas.

As well, a bit of trivia for you, DC has the longest average work week in the US.  All those lawyers, lobbyists and others do put in a lot of time at work. Also a bit of trivia, Washington DC has the highest average post-graduate degrees per 1000 population in the US, as well...the type of folks that have been exposed to classical music like violin and not as much hip-hop. It's a very boring place after 9PM as it's a working town, primarily. So, it's likely appreciated, just not so much at 7:51AM.

If you miss one Metro bound for work at 7:51AM, you might have to wait another agonizing 10 minutes before another train arrives. If you a deadline to get to to work, or meetings to get to, you're not gonna' wanna' stop for 3 minutes to listen to even the most wonderful of music at the station.  It'll cost you too much, overall.

Now, if you put him in Dupont Circle (outside) at noon while folks are having a more leisurely lunch; the reception might be a bit different.

The piece is just Washington Post fluff, primarily  :|

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:41 pm »
As for the popularity of classical music, this chart pretty much tells the story.  Even religious music out sells classical music on average 2 to 1.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:46 pm »
My sincere thanks to Wind Chaser and TCG for their posts. Sadly;You have proved the point of the original post. :cry:
            d.b.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:55 pm »
Dan,

You are entitled to think and like what you will.  But to say that "music education and music appreciation in this country is near dead" because the average person doesn't listen to or like one particular genre is utmost snobbery rubbish.

There's a whole realm of music (not too mention competent musicians who'd take umbrage to your statement) beyond this ancient and unwanted form of melodic noise.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2007, 05:59 pm »
Dan,

You are entitled to think and like what you will.  But to say that "music education and music appreciation in this country is near dead" because the average person doesn't listen to or like one particular genre is utmost snobbery rubbish.

There's a whole realm of music (not too mention competent musicians who'd take umbrage to your statement) beyond this ancient and unwanted form of melodic noise.

If it wasn't for classical music the "whole realm of music" as you call it would not exist in its present form. From the quote above I can also deduce that your education in music history is a bit lacking also. And it's damn sad that I have to post the above.
             d.b.
P.S. Just for starters ask your self the following: Where would Hollywood film scoring be without classical music?

Dan Banquer

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2007, 06:07 pm »
The piano was for all practical purposes invented and used in Europe before it came to this country. All of the technique to play it was developed in Europe and all of the music written for it was developed in Europe.
Now wind chaser, it wasn't for classical music, where would contemporary music in this country be without the piano?
         Take your time an think about the question.
                  d.b.

AB

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2007, 06:08 pm »
My sincere thanks to Wind Chaser and TCG for their posts. Sadly;You have proved the point of the original post. :cry:
            d.b.

So your point in your first post is "that the music education and music appreciation in this country is near dead"?

And you hoped to "prove" this by posting the Wash Post article?

Your point and that article really have almost nothing to do with one another.

There are certainly many opportunities to make the point that music appreciation and music education is lacking here in the U.S. but that article is not one of them.

« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2007, 08:26 pm by AB »

PhilNYC

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2007, 06:12 pm »

If you miss one Metro bound for work at 7:51AM, you might have to wait another agonizing 10 minutes before another train arrives. If you a deadline to get to to work, or meetings to get to, you're not gonna' wanna' stop for 3 minutes to listen to even the most wonderful of music at the station.  It'll cost you too much, overall.

Well hey...if you miss your Metro, then you've got 10 minutes to hang out and listen...! :thumb:

Woodsea

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2007, 07:08 pm »
I agree, a total fluff piece.  No way would I stop and listen if I was on my way to work to relieve a fellow nurse of her duties.  But, if I had time,  and especially if I was with my kids and the guy was good.  I would stop and listen, and have one of my offspring toss in a fiver.lfl

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2007, 07:15 pm »
Yup. Total fluff. And the results of this are meaningless. If it was in a subway station in NYC, you might get a totally different result.

Ask any street performer, they'll tell you which locations are good, and at what times, and during what season.

And all that bunk about shaving a millimeter and special varnish recipes have been perpetuated way too long about Strad's.

Cheers