Bill.....see this...

Some day I will find out exactly what the song means

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: 'classic' rock songs you hate
« Reply #61 on: 4 Apr 2007, 10:52 pm »
Hi LW, I have seen this before but it still doesn't indicate exactly what inspired the song. Maybe I need to call em' up and ask.

VH1 had/has a show where they describe what inspired some songs and thier true meanings but I have yet to see Hotel California.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 4 Apr 2007, 10:58 pm »
More .....here......and...here.. :thumb:

mca

« Reply #63 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:07 pm »
Anything by Led Zepplin and Jimi Hendrix.

Used to like them, but you can't go an hour without hearing one or the other on the radio around here.

After 20+ years, you tend to get burnt out....

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #64 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:13 pm »
After 20+ years, you tend to get burnt out....

I think it's the other way around. After 20 years of being a burn-out, you tend to listen to more Zepplin and Hendrix!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #65 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:14 pm »
More .....here......and...here..

Maybe we'll never know for sure?

acresm22

« Reply #66 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:25 pm »
Re Hotel California...

Anyone have a link to that inner sleeve photo, showing the "shadowy figure" up on the balcony? I remember seeing it back in the day...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #67 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:38 pm »

acresm22

« Reply #68 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:40 pm »
I assume that's the one, although the CD pic is a little too small to see the figure in the balcony. Hmmmm....creepy.... ; )

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #69 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:41 pm »
It is only found on the album cover and not the CD jacket. Don't ask me why.

drphoto

« Reply #70 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:41 pm »
I always wondered if Hotel California was inspired by Henley or Frey reading Jean Paul Satre. The theme similar to "No Exit"

bprice2

« Reply #71 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:45 pm »
Re Hotel California...

Anyone have a link to that inner sleeve photo, showing the "shadowy figure" up on the balcony? I remember seeing it back in the day...

Isn't the shadowy figure supposed to be Aleister Crowley?  Or, was that just urban myth?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #72 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:54 pm »
Isn't the shadowy figure supposed to be Aleister Crowley?  Or, was that just urban myth?

Everything about this song is a myth. Take a look at the links lonewolfny kindly provided, thank you for those. They give examples of a lot of myths that have been brought up about this song.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #73 on: 5 Apr 2007, 12:02 am »
Link for Aleister Crowley......here...... :o

chadh

« Reply #74 on: 5 Apr 2007, 01:46 am »

I once stayed at the Hotel California.

OK, it had a different name.  And it was in Cleveland.  But I'm sure it's the real place.  Well...mostly sure.  I guess I have some small doubts given that I was actually able to leave (whew!) ...but I presumed the Eagles had taken a little poetic license to make the song a bit more interesting.

Of course, this leads me to observe that I probably know exactly what the song is about. 

The Eagles had obviously travelled to Cleveland to attend the wedding of a woman who used to share an apartment with the fiance of one of the band-members.  The happy couple had made a group-booking at this establishment so that many of the guests could get a reduced rate, and they had assured everyone of the hotel's comfort and charm.  Unfortunately, the wedding turned out to be on one of the hottest weekends in Cleveland history, and The Eagles arrived at the hotel to find that it had no air conditioning, no bar and no television.  This wouldn't have been so bad in most cases.  But as the hotel also seemed only to possess one iron, The Eagles were forced to wait around the establishment for what seemed like an eternity for their turn to be able to iron the wrinkles out of their good pairs of levis before the wedding.  The wait was excruciating.  Not even the nearly-authentic Spanish styling of the establishment could soothe them.  With no booze nor television for distraction, they turned to the only diversion they had left: writing a song that would serve as a scathing commentary on their stay, an eternal warning to other travellers never to make the same accommodation mistake they had made.

Of course, their tendency to exaggerate the diabolical nature of the place, their inscrutable imagery and the unfortunate realisation that "Hotel Cleveland" didn't fit the meter of the music they had penned meant that the true meaning of their commentary would remain unappreciated for many years to come, and that their warning would forever arrive far too late to save anybody from a similar fate.

All of this should lead me to have some sympathy for The Eagles.  But I just can't find it in my heart.  I really don't like them and, although I've never really had an aversion to Hotel California, on principle I feel I should object to it whole-heartedly.

Chad

bprice2

« Reply #75 on: 5 Apr 2007, 02:09 am »

Thank you.  I now know more about Aleister Crowley than I could have ever imagined.   :icon_twisted:
It's no wonder he's an icon in the rock & roll world.  He had the sex and drugs down for sure. 

lonewolfny42

« Reply #76 on: 5 Apr 2007, 02:21 am »

Thank you.  I now know more about Aleister Crowley than I could have ever imagined.   :icon_twisted:
It's no wonder he's an icon in the rock & roll world.  He had the sex and drugs down for sure. 
Next time you hear Ozzy sing......think of Mr. Crowley...... :wink:

MarkM

« Reply #77 on: 5 Apr 2007, 01:25 pm »
I got to add Steppinwolf to the list, sorry hope no relation to the legendary lonewolf.    :lol:

Thebiker

« Reply #78 on: 5 Apr 2007, 02:31 pm »
Everything by Billy Joel
Everything by the Stones after "Beggar's Banquent"
Everything related to or done by a Disco "Artist"
Classic Rock radio (they all have the same play list, over & over ad nauseum)

If I think about it any longer, the list will get longer and I'll be nauseous.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #79 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:10 pm »
I got to add Steppinwolf to the list, sorry hope no relation to the legendary lonewolf.    :lol:

Good call. I saw them in 1969 in Montreal and I don't think I've ever seen a larger discrepancy between what the record sounded like and what the real talent appeared to be when seen live. Ouch!