'classic' rock songs you hate

chadh

Re: 'classic' rock songs you hate
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:11 am »
I've never been into the Beatles much, but still quite like many of their songs.  Listening to Paul McCartney's solo work, though, drives me bananas (and not in a good way).  Would it seem very, very bad of me to wonder why the wrong Beatles died?

The Eagles must rate as one of my all time least favorite bands, and almost anything of theirs is likely to make me hurl.

What I have found, though, is that many songs that would once have made me want to perforate my eardrums with the nearest ice-pick, now appear strangely soothing thanks to the healing nature of comedy.  The America classic "A Horse with No Name", for example, was truly unlistenable for me until I watched an episode of the sitcom NewsRadio in which one of the characters was embarrassed when a tape surfaced featuring him singing that very song.  Now the song just makes me smile.

Even better than that, I now have an appreciation for anything that could be described as "Yacht Rock", even though it would once have made me reach for the radio dial in the hope of finding a Public Radio fund-raising drive, or a radio evangelist, or anything more palatable.  But ever since some kindly member of this very audio forum alerted me to the brilliant series "Yacht Rock", my whole outlook on the music has changed.  If you too want to be born again to the wonder of music from the Doobie Brothers, Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Steely Dan and Christopher Cross, check it out: http://www.channel101.com/shows/show.php?show_id=152

Chad

boead

« Reply #21 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:24 am »
I've never been into the Beatles much, but still quite like many of their songs.  Listening to Paul McCartney's solo work, though, drives me bananas (and not in a good way).  Would it seem very, very bad of me to wonder why the wrong Beatles died?

Sorry to hear that. McCartney is an absolute composition genius and leaps and bounds more talented then John Lennon who wrote great songs WITH McCartney and basically wrote NOTHING of any real value except for maybe 5 songs without McCartney. Sorry, Lennon is way over rated. McCartney is the talent.

McCartney also has like two dozen albums spanning 35 years, each very different. Some from this recent decade are not so good. Some of the Wings were maybe too much Pop for your taste? Early McCartney (around Ram) was very folk-rock and so on. 

I love all music for the most part (except U2, makes me vomit).

bprice2

« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:28 am »
Heres a few that come to mind....

anything by Bob Dylan ....... sorry, I never understood everyone's fascination
Josh's half plus the other half of the songs by the Stones.....sorry again
Billy Thorpe, Children of the Sun
anything by Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Bad Company, Asia, Chilliwack, Fleetwood Mac, the Dead, Goat Woman Stevie Nicks, and Styx

Dude, in one fell swoop you just trashed my entire collection. 

chadh

« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:30 am »

Sorry to hear that. McCartney is an absolute composition genius and leaps and bounds more talented then John Lennon who wrote great songs WITH McCartney and basically wrote NOTHING of any real value except for maybe 5 songs without McCartney. Sorry, Lennon is way over rated. McCartney is the talent.

McCartney also has like two dozen albums spanning 35 years, each very different. Some from this recent decade are not so good. Some of the Wings were maybe too much Pop for your taste? Early McCartney (around Ram) was very folk-rock and so on. 

I love all music for the most part (except U2, makes me vomit).

My definition of Hell:  listening to "Give My Regards to Broadstreet" over and over again. 

If I could, I'd swap all of my Paul McCartney listening experiences for all of your U2 nightmares - then we'd both be much happier.

Chad

Nels Ferre

« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:30 am »
I know many will hate me for this but my list is as follows:

Anything from the Beatles
 Anything from The Who
 Anything from Billy Joel
 We Built This City  (forgot the group)

Boys of Summer- Don Henley -- I use to HATE this song but over the years it has grown on me.

Wow!  Hate the Beatles??

We Built This City (On Rock and Roll) was Jefferson Starship, or were they just called Starship by then?

Here's Mine---Van Halen "Jump"...take a band with a great guitarist substitute him with a synth. I think I'd rather listen to the guy at the organ store in the mall.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #25 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:33 am »

My definition of Hell:  listening to "Give My Regards to Broadstreet" over and over again. 

If I could, I'd swap all of my Paul McCartney listening experiences for all of your U2 nightmares - then we'd both be much happier.

Chad
[/quote]

I liked "Broadstreet" both the album and the movie. But then again, I have been accused of being a sick pup.

Scott F.

« Reply #26 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:34 am »

anything by Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Bad Company, Asia, Chilliwack, Fleetwood Mac, the Dead, Goat Woman Stevie Nicks, and Styx

Sorry 'bout that one  :lol:

PhishPhan

« Reply #27 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:45 am »
Most stuff by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, and just about any hair band.

How dare you mention The Who in this thread. :o :wink:

hmen

« Reply #28 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:48 am »
I kind of liked a couple of Boston songs I heard on the radio so I bought their greatest hits CD. The music is so over processed and unnatural sounding that I can't listen to it.

boead

« Reply #29 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:50 am »

Chad

:rotflmao: I wish that could be arranged.  :rotflmao:

McCartney (1970), Wildlife (1971), Red Rose Speedway (1973) and Ram (1971) are excellent albums.
Venus and Mars (1975) and Band on the Run (1973) I like very much too.

bprice2

« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:51 am »

Sorry 'bout that one  :lol:

Ha! Gotcha!   :green:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #31 on: 4 Apr 2007, 04:46 am »
"Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill

You ask me if I love you and I choke on my reply
I'd rather hurt you honestly than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you on what you say or do
I'm only just beginning to see the real you
And sometimes when we touch
the honesty's too much and I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you till I die
till we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides :bawl:

Romance and all its strategy leaves me battling with my pride
But through the insecurity some tenderness survives
I'm just another writer, still trapped within my truths
A hesitant prize fighter still trapped within my youth

At times I'd like to break you and drive you to your knees
At times I'd like to break through and hold you endlessly
At times I understand you and I know how hard you've tried
I've watch while love commands you
and I've watched love pass you by
At times I think we're drifters, still searching for a friend
A brother or a sister, but then the passion flares again

Amazing how we hear different things, this song is chessy to many and I can understand that for sure.  But what I heard when I played the song was "You are so sweet and sensitive, I just love that about you" = lights out.. :thumb:.

OT,
Interesting story,  a co-worker recently got an Ipod and a friend loaded a bunch of stuff on it for her. She recently discovered Tori Amos.  She was playing it in her office area, I walked by and chatted up on Tori a bit.  After a few minutes she was wide eyed and excited, asking me to decipher this and that.  A male co- worker overheard all this and is looking at me with that "You're such a cupcake face"  My female co-worker is just all giggles and so on mesmorized that I know all this intimate stuff about Tori's songs etc... and says I would love to get together and talk about "stuff".  

Now I'm happily married but the moment was there, obviously.  I left, walking by my male co-worker who gave me the "cupcake" look again while I was giving him the "dumbass macho bull, you just don't get it do you" look.  For those that missed the "Tori Amos Movement" you REALLY missed out, I owe that woman and others like her alot. I mean not to belittle Tori's work which I think is great. Little Earthquakes is a CD I think every woman should own.

So the next time you hear the chessy rock/pop loves songs, look at them from the perspective of the audience they were intended for and (if you're in a position to) see where that takes you.  We're all different folks and so on but I even found a way to get Winger and Warrant to work to my advantage, maybe you guys are taking this stuff too seriously, there is much fun to be had.

"Stairway to heaven" is rockin' spent a summer with an earthy girl fought for the Clean Water Act working for an environmnetal group and went through the whole Zep catalog with her and learned alot of yoga  :thumb:
U2's "Unforgettable Fire" had me sneakin in my girlfriends window and playing that cassette to put her to sleep almost every night for about a month.
And so on...
My idea of enjoying music is dancin', rockin' and sexin'
not listening with my head in a vice to hear the rear walls of the Meyerhoff symphony hall.

All this time I though I was in the sweet spot?

We Built This City...I can't defend that one.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 4 Apr 2007, 04:58 am »
A group that needs to go on a very long trip....far far away....

Journey....

Orf

« Reply #33 on: 4 Apr 2007, 05:49 am »
I agree about Journey - a bad, bad trip, all the way.

Guess Who is another band I wish I'd never heard, though I prefer them by miles to Journey.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #34 on: 4 Apr 2007, 06:46 am »

Even better than that, I now have an appreciation for anything that could be described as "Yacht Rock", even though it would once have made me reach for the radio dial in the hope of finding a Public Radio fund-raising drive, or a radio evangelist, or anything more palatable.  But ever since some kindly member of this very audio forum alerted me to the brilliant series "Yacht Rock", my whole outlook on the music has changed.  If you too want to be born again to the wonder of music from the Doobie Brothers, Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Steely Dan and Christopher Cross, check it out: http://www.channel101.com/shows/show.php?show_id=152

Chad

Thanks for this link - I had no idea yacht rock had such a rich history!   L(almost)OL  - it was late, the family was asleep and I was on headphones.

Kim S.

« Reply #35 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:09 am »
The Stevie Nicks song  that has the lyric "sings a song just like she's singing" has to be on my list.  This is an interesting thread because some of the songs mentioned are on my favorite list.  I like "Jump" and "I want you to want me" is in my top 10.  No accounting for (my) taste!  My problem with classic rock is that it is way overplayed on the radio.  I live in an area with limited radio choices, no NPR.  If I hear "Magic Man" one more time......

ohenry

« Reply #36 on: 4 Apr 2007, 11:42 am »
I never understood the popularity of 'Smoke on the Water'. Hated it then....still do. Clapton's 'Beautiful Tonight' makes me retch too.

Anyone have any others?

I think you meant "Wonderful Tonight".  I agree, it is odorous.  Obligatory first dance fodder for the proper wedding. :rules:

Soundbitten

« Reply #37 on: 4 Apr 2007, 12:12 pm »
Any songs played on classic rock stations over and over ad nauseum .   :evil:

boead

« Reply #38 on: 4 Apr 2007, 12:56 pm »
My idea of enjoying music is dancin', rockin' and sexin'
not listening with my head in a vice to hear the rear walls of the Meyerhoff symphony hall.

All this time I though I was in the sweet spot?

We Built This City...I can't defend that one.

Yeah brother!!

Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.
Oh, oh, child, way you shake that thing, gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting.
Hey, hey, baby, when you walk that way, watch your honey drip, can't keep away.
I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.
Eyes that shine burning red, dreams of you all through my head.
Didn't take too long 'fore I found out, what people mean my down and out.
Spent my money, took my car, started telling her friends she wants to be a star.
I don't know but I been told, Feeble-lipped woman ain't got no soul.
All I ask for when I pray, steady rollin' woman gonna come my way.
Need a woman gonna hold my hand, won't tell me no lies, make me a happy man.

Hip Hop, Pop and Rap make my wife HOT!

I hardly ever sit in the sweet spot. I listen here, there and all around the room.
But some people get off sitting in there assigned chair and position in their chamber they call a listening room listening to Diana Krell or whatever over and over and over again. Homogenized, Audiophile Approved, Grade-A music only!
 :violin:

« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2007, 01:57 pm by boead »

mcrespo71

« Reply #39 on: 4 Apr 2007, 01:32 pm »
The Heat is On- Glenn Fry