Get together at Bryan's

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Get together at Bryan's
« on: 22 Feb 2007, 11:53 am »
Hi Guys.

Well, Scott did some poking around in the pre last night and it looks like it was just a slightly weaker tube coupling with a slight imbalance in the volume pot.  Swapping tubes and then balancing the stronger tube to the lower side of the pot seems to have done it.  So, it's back up and cooking the new caps in. 

Klaus says my amps will likely ship early next week.  If that's the case, then I should have them by no later than the week of the 3rd.  A couple of weeks of breakin and things should be ready to go.  That'll only be about 350 hours on the monos but that should get them most of the way there.  I'm already breaking in Rick's SSR's upstairs on the other system.

So, let's tentatively plan for something at my place on say March 17th?  I'm thinking early afternoon till whenever.  Is that good/bad?  I know it's during March Madness.  If that's a big issue for a lot of people, we can put it off.  I know Kirch and our new 'hanger' Ryan had expressed an interest in hearing this setup.

Thoughts?

Bryan

steve k

Re: Get together at Bryan's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2007, 01:21 pm »
Sounds good, Bryan. I can make early afternoon but we have something going that night so I'll have to make an early exit. I'm anxious to hear your system and all the new toys. Glad the Korado is working again. Sounds like the pot imbalance is an issue for Korado though. Tubes are tubes. See you then.
steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:11 pm »
The date is still open but glad you're free that day.  It may shift to the right one more week depending on the amps' arrival - or we could just do it with my old amp (or talk Alan into bringing the Butler over). 

The measured imbalance with the old tubes was .02v at about 10:00 volume setting.  With the new tubes, it was about .008v.  Swapping the 2 tubes left to right got them within .001v.  Even with the old ones it was just an annoying matter of the image being about halfway between centered and the left speaker.  It's dead on now. 

I may see about replacing the pot with the TKD Scott recommended.  If I get time I may also bypass the PS cap with a Nichicon Scott had laying around - don't know if this will get done prior to the gathering or not.

Everyone please feel free to bring whatever you want to play with.  I'd like another shot at your DAC Chris/Steve.

Bryan

MerRev

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:04 pm »
I may not be able to make it on St. Patty's day but I would love to hear the Odyssey mono Extreme's, Korato and SSR's. 

Glad to hear you and Scott were able to fix the channel imbalance-
that would drive most of us absolutely nucking futz.

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2007, 03:57 pm by MerRev »

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:09 pm »
Hmmm.  Wasn't even thinking that was St. Patty's day. 

Is the 24th as good or better for everyone?  Would certainly allow me to get some more hours on the caps, speakers,  and amps.

And yes Chris, it did drive me nucking futs.  It was just a very slight thing but wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else after we did the mods considering we were soldering basically right on top of a tiny resistor. 

Bryan

alana106

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:44 pm »

And yes Chris, it did drive me nucking futs.  It was just a very slight thing but wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else after we did the mods considering we were soldering basically right on top of a tiny resistor. 

Bryan

:dance:  Whew....   Glad to hear it's taken care of.   Especially happy that it wasn't associated with the mods we did.   
   I've been having dreams where voting was held at a special GAS meeting,  :o  to have me permanently removed from the group. 

After hearing what I did to the Korato,  I was voted out unanimously.:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Count me in on either date.   I'll make Parole, or break out for the event.

Alan

alana106

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:53 pm »
Bryan,

I was just informed that I have a wedding to attend on the 24th, so don't hold me a slot, if this ends up being the date.

Alan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:15 pm »
Sounds good Alan.  Lemme see what the group comes up with.  If it's later and you can't make it, you're welcome over another evening to relax and listen for a while.

Bryan

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2007, 07:15 pm »
Hey Bryan - I'm flexible with any weekend in March at this point ~

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2007, 10:02 pm by kirch »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2007, 07:20 pm »
I'm open that day, I'll be ready to hang  :thumb:

Will there be a modded SB3 there I can compare with my stock one?  What other speakers will we have to listen to, in addition to the SSR's?

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2007, 09:51 pm »
I should be good with either day so count me in.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2007, 09:59 pm »
Actually I just realized I have a hockey tournament to shoot all weekend of the 17th, so that's out for me.  I probably won't be available the weekend of the 24th either - but I might be able to get away for a couple hours that weekend.

Blackmore

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2007, 10:51 pm »
I'm good for St. Patty's day but I'm at a French Horn convention on the 24th.  Really......with my wife....in Kansas City.......no, I'm not making this up. :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:11 am »
OK.  Let's see how this goes - may end up being a limited weekend session and then a few smaller during the week things.  My usual speakers downstairs are Dynaudio Contour 3.3's.  My SB isn't modded - yet but I run digital out to an MHDT Labs Paradesia DAC and have one of the earlier Boulder SB Power Supplies with their DC cable.

Bryan

Sarmck

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:42 am »
Bryan,

If you have room for one more, I'd like to come over.  So far, either weekend works for me.

Thanks,
Ron

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:59 am »
No problem - plenty of room.  At this point it seems pretty evenly split so it's likely going to depend on when the amps show up and how fast I can get everything broken in.

Bryan

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2007, 01:37 pm »
Hey Bryan - speaking of "breaking in", how long does it typically take to break in new coupling caps?  I upgraded mine on my tube amp, and am none too keen on how it sounds now.  In fact, I'm kicking myself for doing it at all!  They've probably got about 30 hours or so on them right now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't make a big mistake.

Kirch
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2007, 02:52 pm by kirch »

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2007, 03:23 pm »
Depends on what they are.  If they're Teflon, plan on about 500 hrs is pretty much the consensus.  For other types, maybe less.  I have about 100 Hrs on my VH Oilers and they're still changing. 

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2007, 03:30 pm »
Hey Kirch,

Got your email this morning, just didn't have a chance to respond. Those old GE's probably won't take too much more than 100 hours or so to break in. If they are the ones I'm thinking of they are similar to the old Sprague Bumble Bee's (mylar I think). I'll reserve my thoughts on their sound until you give them some more time and have formed your own impression of them.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2007, 05:08 pm »
Bryan,  I'd love to come if you've got space. If you do, let me know if I can bring any toys.

Bob

{Check your PM's}