Get together at Bryan's

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Get together at Bryan's
« Reply #60 on: 25 Mar 2007, 02:41 pm »
Yup - not sure what was up with the PC.  Having issues getting some CD's to play properly from the SB.  They'd rip through EAC and run through FLAC with no errors but then would only play a track or 2.   :evil:  Anyway, with what we had, it was a good time. 

The Odyssey's definitely brought the SSR's up into something that could easily be enjoyed for a long time.  The pricing IMO make them a steal for someone looking for that type of larger bookshelf system. 

Playing with the Uber-modded SB and power supply was fun too.  Might just have to bite the bullet and go that way - listening Wayne? Although, the digital mods with good PS running through the MHDT was sounding pretty good too.

Later in the evening, we switched over to my normal Dynaudio Contour 3.3's with the rest of the system the same.  A definite difference (but there should be for 6-7X the price), more laid back presentation tonally, more extended bass (again, should be from a floorstander with 2 7" Dyn woofs vs the single ScanSpeak). 

We'll likely be doing this again soon with some of the guys that couldn't make it last night (Steve K, Alan, Blackmore, and anybody else that wants to swing back by).

Thanks to all who came out.  Good company, a couple of heated games of 501, some good BS, etc.  Scott took some pics though in my room, the front where the equipment was is pretty dark and hard to photograph.

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #61 on: 25 Mar 2007, 03:34 pm »
OK, Heres the pics  :thumb:

Here is an overall pic of Bryan's system

Here is the front end we used...

KVP-20 pre, Bolder modded SB3, three bolder power supplies and the AH! Njoe Tjoeb

Here's Bryan positioning his Dynaudio Contour 3.3's

and a pic of his new Stratos Extreme Mono's

and a quick pic of the Selah SSR's

and heres a pic of a few of the guys

left to right - Bob, Sturgus, Ron, Grant, and Bryan
(Bob is actually praying Bryan knew what he was doing when he hung the PJ)

This is whats left of the food after we tore into it  :thumb:

and some more munchies

thats Tim and Chris

and finally heres a quick pick of Bryan's PJ as we watch Kansas get beat by UCLA

electricbear

« Reply #62 on: 25 Mar 2007, 03:44 pm »
Great eveing Bryan. I had a good time. Good food, good tunes . It is always nice to catch up with our friends and fellow Gassers. Thanks again Bryan.

Sarmck

« Reply #63 on: 25 Mar 2007, 04:04 pm »
Bryan,

Thanks to you and the Mrs. for the great food and good time at your place yesterday.  It was definitely nice to see some of the GAS gang again and meet some others.  I was impressed by the SSR's sound.  The Dynaudio's upped the ante even more.   Are you sure there weren't some tubes somewhere in those Odyssey amps?   :lol:  Even with only a few hours on them, they sounded great.

Thanks again,
Ron

steve k

« Reply #64 on: 25 Mar 2007, 04:09 pm »
and finally heres a quick pick of Bryan's PJ as we watch Kansas get beat by UCLA

Woa Scott, your really know how to hurt a guy! Too bad I stayed home to watch that, I should have come out anyway.  :duh: Looks like you guys had a good time. I like Bryan's imitation of LoneWolf. Hope I can make it out there sometime soon.

steve

Scott F.

« Reply #65 on: 25 Mar 2007, 04:26 pm »

Woa Scott, your really know how to hurt a guy!

If you think that was bad, you should have seen what I edited out  :o It had something to do with arses and handing things out  :lol: (just kidding of course)

Many thinks to Bryan and especially his Mrs for putting up with our afflictions. It was a great time. Got to catch up with everybody and hear some new gear.

Looking forward to the next gathering over at Tim's.

Oh, if anybody is interested, I may do a couple of smaller gatherings if anybody wants to hear the new Nomad Audio Sentinel's. No dates picked yet but I'll make a separate post.

Also since spring has officially sprung, we need to start thinking about the annual GAS Music Caravan and the GAS Golf Outing. I'll make separate posts about those too once I get done playing Scottie Homemaker (doing laundry as I type).

sturgus

« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2007, 02:05 am »
Hey "Bryan , Just want to let you know I had a nice time. Really enjoyed the new amps, and was quite impressed with the Selah's . As always it's nice to see the fellas and get together and tell a few lies :D.
Also my hat goes off to the lady of the house for making us welcome and putting on such a fine spread.
Sturgus

MerRev

« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2007, 03:48 pm »
thanks for hosting such a nice get-together Bryan. :thumb:
Your room has come together quite nicely and the Mono Extremes mate very well to the big Dyn's.  Also, many thanks to Rick for letting us hear the SSR's.  They offer a huge sound and played extremely well when the going got tough. 

It's always enjoyable to be able to flip a switch and compare modded power supplies with the Squeezebox to the Ah! Tjoeb.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2007, 04:37 pm »
I'd really appreciate it if somebody would try to quantify differences between SB mod levels and power supplies heard.  I'm considering doing the mods to my Elpac PS, and having the digital mods done ... just don't know if it's worth the $$$ though.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 26 Mar 2007, 06:08 pm »
Let's see...

Deeper, tighter bass
More defined and deeper soundstage
Smoother top end
Less edge to the midrange

Bryan

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2007, 09:29 pm »
Thanks Bryan, but are we talking the kind of changes you only notice at certain points on certain tracks ... or is it an easily apparent improvement? 

Rob S.

« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2007, 10:18 pm »
Were the modded SB's  digital only? or any have bybee mods?  I'm also curious as to level of change- similar to incremental changes as in tweaking or like a component piece upgrade.   I'm having the ELPAC mod done by Bolder, and not sure about what SB mods to have done yet.

Anyone else get a firm grasp on improvements of source SB w/stock PS compared to modified PS w/ Bolder mods?

Rob S.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #72 on: 27 Mar 2007, 01:52 pm »
OFF TOPIC:

Sturgis, here's that R/C aircraft link we were taking about at Bryans house.
VERY VERY cool video.
http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

Bob

Sorry, OT OVER!  :wink:

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 27 Mar 2007, 05:24 pm »
The diff from the stock switching power supply to a Bolder modded Elpac are not subtle.  The differences to the full blown uber supply were even greater. 

The analog mods sound more relaxed and organic if that makes sense - don't how how else to describe it.  The digital mods will certainly improve things but how close it gets to the analog is dependent on your DAC. 

Bryan

Wayne1

« Reply #74 on: 29 Mar 2007, 02:06 pm »
Hello all,

Sorry to come to the party late  :oops:

Bryan,

Am I correct in inferring that in your listening session, you preferred the sound of the SB3 with full mods, powered by the Ultimate PS, analog output section over that of your Paradisea DAC driven by the same source?

Whose SB3 did you use? Scott's or Bill's? If it was Scott's, you should try to link up with Bill to listen to his. He has the latest mods while Scott's are a bit old, now.

Cheers,

Wayne

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2007, 04:02 pm »
Hi Wayne.

They were different.  I could see different preferences.  That said, on my system, the analog mods direct to my pre (I have TONS of gain on my pre so level was not an issue) was better to my ears and most of the ears in the room.  The differences were subtle things but lots of them - especially in the upper mids and highs.

We were using Scott's SB3 and the latest of your Ultimate PS with the Bybees, etc.  Ron also brought over a PS along with the Summit cable.  I'd love to hook up with Bill - was hoping maybe he could make it to one of the parties but he must be tied up working.

Bryan

electricbear

« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2007, 06:37 pm »
MerRev and I were sitting towards the back of the room when the comparisons were being made and back there the differences were very apparent. The analog was so much smoother, much more listenable. Not that the Dac sounded bad just that the analog was less distorted.

DeadFish

« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:55 pm »
Hey Bryan!
Sorry I could not make it along;  saturday's are always a bitch for me to get off, anyway, but I've been a little 'off-my-feed'.

Or, maybe off my rocker....

Strange days best not spent in mixed company, though you guys definitely are the *best* company when it comes to getting 'out'.

News at 11.....

:wink:

Bill