Jim's pics RM-V60 Music Wing

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Jim's pics RM-V60 Music Wing
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:32 am »
B said start a new thread so here goes.  I've got 18 pics total, will continue loading till they're all here.  Lap it up boys & girls!!!!!!!!!!

I am e-x-h-a-u-s-t-e-d!
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2006, 07:10 am by RibbonSpeakers.net »

warnerwh

Re: Jim's pics RM-V60 Music Wing
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:39 am »
Those are truly beautiful and exotic looking :thumb: My hat is off to Brian. That's an incredible design. An adjustable open to closed baffle system line array. :o I've never seen anything like these in my 35 years as an audiophile. The beauty of course is that the beauty is functional. Sound quality must be incredible. :drool: What's amazing is that a large leap in speaker design has been accomplished bettering the current line up which is already an outstanding achievement. My congratulations to Brian and Mark for building such a gorgeous speaker :beer:

I love my MLS Rosewood but the design of these speakers amplifies the beauty of the wood and it's finish.  These should be in the High End Audio Hall of Fame museum!

Btw Jim nice photography work. I especially like the idea of props(pun intended:) like the painted green Pallet. :lol:

shep

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:10 am »
Wow! Now how do I stop salivating?

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:43 am »
Very Cool!  Good work guys.  Now it's break time.
So how do I sign up for the audition tour?  :P

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2006, 02:59 pm »
Excellent.......good photo's.....and a great looking speaker !!! 8)

Best of luck with it........ :thumb:

F-100

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:06 pm »
Very cool looking speaker.  :thumb:

What is the price for these speakers as configured in the pictures?

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:23 pm »
Retail is 8900 for the V60.

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2006, 05:22 pm »
Very cool!  I don't know how they sound but they are some of the coolest looking speakers I have ever seen.  Do they have a SRP? 

Thanks,

J

warnerwh

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2006, 05:35 pm »
Jackman: Look at the post above yours :scratch:

opnly bafld

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:00 pm »
Retail is 8900 for the V60.

Maybe if you had a $ and , like $8,900 it would have stood out more. :lol:

Lin

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:07 pm »
Free THE Show offer: Till the last date of the show I am offering free pallets, in moderate to good used condition, painted w/ a broom any color requested by the customer or his/her significant other, FREE of CHARGE w/ any pair 60s :bounce: :wave:s!  Can you POSSIBLY RESIST THIS OFFER!

pjchappy

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:09 pm »
Those are cool!

Brian, could you explain your reason for designing this speaker differently than you have done others?  Also, could you explain some of the technical questions posted above.  I'm not questioning your design, b/c I am clueless in that regard, just curious. . .it interests me.  Thanks!

p

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:11 pm »
Jim, in a different thread you said you were no longer a VMPS dealer (since 2004, I believe). Could you please clarify?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:12 pm »
I would literally pay MLS money to see how such enclosures come to life from mere lumber.  If it was closer I'd pay for a tour of that plant in action.  At least one accomplished cabinet builder here scratched his head looking at the pictures.

Mark Schifter if you are reading this: Please take good care of your health!     

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:29 pm »
Life changes.  Once I wasn't, then I was, then I wasn't, now I am. 

One look at the new speaker convinced me to jump in again.  There's no way the new RM-V60 Music Wing will not have a major impact on the audio world IMO.

VMPS has made premium statement products in the past, but all were accompanied by production, cosmetic, cost, or other peculiarities that kept production low & limited the distribution & life cycle of the model. 

The new 60 answers the previous problems.  Cosmetically it speaks for itself.  People spending huge sums of money on any product won't tolerate a me-too look.  They demand something that makes a huge visual statement, & one that requires no apologies for it's absolutely huge cost (I know how much food, shelter & clothing costs in 3rd world countries).  At 50' distance people who don't know what a binding post is will understand this speaker's cost.  (As beautiful as Watt/Puppy 8's are, I'm not sure they see $30k sitting there.) 

This speaker breaks new ground not covered by any prior VMPS assault on the state of the art (see my history notes at the first 60 thread, I've been there through it all, worked at the Plant & built many of the speakers in reader's rooms now).  Beyond all that, from my audio experience w/ the CDW, OXO, & TRT caps on current models, I have a high degree of certainty that performance wise there will be little disagreement this speaker breaks the sound barriers of all that came before.

I know I can't wait to get moved into my new house in Utah & be looking at & hearing a pair.   

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:01 pm »
pjchappy:

Your question is justified and requires a thorough answer but for now I'll hit only the high points.

Open baffle speakers are not new, in fact they go back to the earliest days of sound reproduction.  Look at patents from the 1920's and 30's for more information. 

The major problem to deal with in open baffle design is the Dipole Effect.  When the baffle is narrower than the wavelength of the lowest frequency you're reproducing, the sound skirts the baffle and comes around to cancel the front wave.  The cancellation is severe and selective and depends on more factors than just baffle width, but that's the basic idea.

Most open baffle speakers are simply not wide enough.  Remember the Infinity IRS?  The mid/treble column sported wings nearly five feet wide.  Imposing but impractical.  My panel is crossed over at 280 Hz which means I need a baffle almost exactly 4 ft wide to eliminate the Dipole Effect or pay a price in nonlinearity.  Folding the baffle back into a flying wing was a good solution, and it horn loads the rear wave where I can control its directivity (a very good thing) or easily absorb it without using a subenclosure.  The lack of parallel surfaces also helps discourage standing waves.

I decided to move the long wavelengths outboard for many good reasons, some of which I have elaborated elsewhere already.  I needed to have a midbass source so that the bass crossover could be optimally placed around 70Hz, thus I installed three 6.5" woofers in a pedestal base for the wing.  It all seemed perfectly logical to me in the six month's gestation period of mostly thought experiments, augmented by a hinged prototype wing which determined just how narrow and deep it could be.

pjchappy

« Reply #16 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:11 pm »
Cool.  Another question, why did you decide to do an open baffle?  Mainly to eliminate the waves bouncing back through the drivers?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:18 pm »
You got it, among other reasons.  Boxes of any type have resonances, modes, reflected energy and the like much of which goes away when you open the baffle.  Of course the open baffle has its problems, but I think I've found some good solutions.

Berndt

« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:39 pm »

I know I can't wait to get moved into my new house in Utah & be looking at & hearing a pair.   

I can see there is a road trip in my future!

Housteau

« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2006, 09:41 pm »
Remember the Infinity IRS?  The mid/treble column sported wings nearly five feet wide.  Imposing but impractical.

I definitely noticed a similar theme there and to some Genesis models.  I am still using the old Infinity RS1bs to a very good effect, but am very glad to see (as John Casler said I would be in another earlier posting) what you have created here.  For me, I see my future, a very logical step up from what I have now.  I am assuming that when properly set up these will have a similar huge presentation, both tall and wide when called for, yet also intimate with the appropriate recordings.

The idea of being able to tune their dipole nature to the listening room, and the listeners choice, is unique.  I see it as a way of tuning between the spaciousness of a dipole and the laser sharp imaging of a cone based monitor speaker, an attempt at the best of both worlds.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the new bass columns along with placement suggestions as a 4 piece system.