Interconnect cables

retiredguy

Interconnect cables
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:13 pm »
I am using a T-8 preamp and have just purchased a vintage (1968-1972) Sansui TU-999 tuner.  I am looking to purchase a pair of new interconnects to go between them.  I am looking for suggestions for good quality--but not necessarily expensive--intercennects which users have found to work well with AVA equipment.  Thanks in advance.

rlee8394

Re: Interconnect cables
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:16 pm »

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:31 pm »
If you want a nice step-up in quality without breaking the bank, try a pair of Speltz's Anti-IC's for $100.

Belden wire based IC's act like molasses in my sytem & might slow down your vintage Sansui's sonics too much...

CE2

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:15 pm »
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=34&ObjectGroup_ID=80 :dunno: Great wires, lotsa choices, surely you can find what ya need here or at  www.mcminone.com.  Of course these are not evacuated, blessed by some  audio magic, but when ya plug them in, they work, and don't corrode, I've used em for years and years.  Mortal prices, mortal pieces of wires.

CE2

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:23 pm »
Radio Shack

Frank Van Alstine

retiredguy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2006, 02:52 pm »
Thank you all very much for the helpful suggestions.  Looks like there are lots of choices which should meet my needs and not cost too much.   aa

Brett Buck

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:21 pm »
Thank you all very much for the helpful suggestions.  Looks like there are lots of choices which should meet my needs and not cost too much.   aa

Right. If you pay more than $2 for a 3-foot cable, then, it's a fashion statement, not engineering.

Brett

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:29 pm »
retiredguy, what are you using between your preamp and poweramp?
i use audio art ic-3 interconnects and am quite pleased with the results.
www.audioartcable.com

marvin

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:40 pm »
Radio Shack

Frank Van Alstine

Which model of interconnects? They have Monster Cable but I presume the very cheapest Radio Shack brand cable would be as good as the most expensive. :) Is there any limit to how cheap you can go? I presume not because they all sound the same anyway. It's just wire isn't it?

CE2

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:09 pm »
Just get teh gold ones so they don't corrode...www.partsexpress.com  has a 3ft pair for like 95 cents.  I use ones that might be $4-$6 I went overboard.  They had nicer ends.  And have stayed flexible over teh years, didn't loose it's elastisicty.   Years ago I wa DUPED into a pair of AQ junk, overpriced, got all gooey a the plastiziers leached out, junk with a facny pkg.  www.stelarlabs.com at  www.mcminone.com has all kinds of STUFF   $1 a length or $20 for super duper looking ones.   If you can hear what wire sounds like, you are from a different planet.  Cus how do you hear wire?  I ain't never heard any difference between some 95 cent stuff or $15 stuff.  But the ultra cheap non gold do oxidze over teh years, the gold ones stay clean, that could prevent troubles.  The magic is in the ckts, and design, not teh piece of wire between amp and pre amp. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:15 pm »
Why go for the fancy ends when the cheap ones produce the same sound quality? Audio Circle must have a lot of extraterrestrials. :icon_lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:36 pm »
Glad to find some sanity...   :D

Everyone "knows" that the wire between components can be heard more than the brand of resistors, capacitors, inductors, chips, or wiring within the components.   :wink:

And besides, everyone "knows" that the wiring in the power cord is more important than the rest of the wiring in the house/apartment or on the other side of the panel.   :wink:

Kidding aside, it all can make a difference, but many get their panties in a bunch over mega-buck wiring when their room is crappy, the drivers in their speakers are cheap/unmatched, and they can't begin to name even 10% of the brands of parts inside any of their components.    :scratch:

Now, anyone care to get into component supports (balls, foam, brass, maple, composite materials, springs, etc.)?   :roll:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:38 pm »
Of course, there are some who say that all amps sound the same. :roll:

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:50 pm »
Oh, goody, another interconnect debate! The only problem is everyone is reasonable! What the hell is going on? Someone must chime in with $400 dollar a foot interconnects, shouldn't they?  aa

Maybe everyone is getting the holiday blues.  :cry:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:59 pm »
It would be interesting to conduct a test with a megabuck, ultra resolving system with $,$,$ connectors.  Remove the interconnects and replace them with bottom-of-the-line Radio Shack ones and then do an ABX test. Now if there was any difference in sound quality at all then it would have to be agreed that interconnects do make a difference. If there was even the slightest difference in SQ, it  would mean that the IC's do have some influence on SQ.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2006, 09:10 pm by rajacat »

Dan Kolton

« Reply #16 on: 16 Dec 2006, 09:01 pm »
Why go for the fancy ends when the cheap ones produce the same sound quality? Audio Circle must have a lot of extraterrestrials. :icon_lol:

Because they sure sound different after they've accumulated some corrosion in the contact area. Also after they fall out due to poor design or construction.

boead

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:01 am »
Of course, there are some who say that all amps sound the same. :roll:

Absolutely!!

That’s why you can replace all your other overpriced gear with this:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html
$99 and you don’t need a preamp either.

And a pair of these Yamaha speakers! Most of what we listen too that’s recorded in a studio has been mixed on Yamaha speakers so you really should be listening to Yamaha if you want to get down to what the ‘artist’ intended on the recording to sound like and not what you have turned it into!
$99
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2367742&cp=2032057.2032183&pg=2&searchSort=TRUE&y=6&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&x=19&parentPage=family

If you have a larger room then you can likely upgrade to a larger speaker for a bigger sound.

I want to know why anyone can be duped into buying furniture like this:
http://www.salksound.com/
I mean, be real! Speakers like these are way more for WAF then anything else. You can stick these same speakers in a simple box and get 98% of the sound for under a couple of hundred bucks.
LOL!! These HT3’s on the front page are $7500!!! LOL!! I can buy over a dozen stereos that sound just as good for that price.

How about one stereo and a new car.

Well there is a sucker born every day. Twice on Sunday.

$4.95

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404337&cp=2032058.2032228.2032251&pg=1&searchSort=TRUE&y=8&x=9&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=family

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2006, 01:19 am by boead »

boead

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:15 am »

Boead,

What gear do you use in your system?

What does that matter?

Are you just going to criticize me?

I can tell you that I haven’t wasted my money on fancy schmancy speakers with exotic woods and finishes (that admittedly do nothing for the sound), amplifiers that claim to be superior because – well just because!

I read the specs! I take the scientific approach!

How about you?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:37 am »
Well, there's a scientific post if I ever saw one  :roll:

If you're happy with what you have, good for you.  Congrats.  I'll agree that there are tons of 'pretties' that make no no diff as to sound.   Don't think what you posted is anywhere near even the 3/4 of the ladder as far as what's attainable with careful systme matching and quality components.

Bryan