Interconnect cables

WEEZ

Re: Interconnect cables
« Reply #60 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:54 am »
I don't know about you all, but my ass feels definately kicked.  :surrender:

I think I'll try to invent a stereo system where the wire goes directly from the source to my two deaf ears without having to pass thru any amplifiers or speakers. Then I will have reached nirvana for sure.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #61 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:00 am »
Or you could just become a musician. :wink:

Cheers 8)

WEEZ

« Reply #62 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:07 am »
...did that years ago. I'm a trained piano player...rusty, now. I don't know nuthin' 'bout sound 'till the cables are perfect...then I'm still not sure..'cause what if my fingers didn't first stroke my cables before I listened? damned if I can figure out how to wire these cables into my piano... :scratch:

Canyoneagle

« Reply #63 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:22 am »
Now THIS is getting FUN, even if it has wandered WAYYYYY OT.

boead, here's to a great dupe.  Man, you had alot of people going, without (perhaps it was only me) realizing you were being sarcasic.  Oh, the irony is so thick....  I LOVE sarcasm.

.......and irony.    :duh:

good on ya, mate.   :beer:

I hope this thread has provided the original poster with some beneficial information, and some entertainment as well  :duel:

Truth is, there's such a dizzying array of products out there in all price points.
IMHO there are plenty of cables available for under 100 smackers that would fit the bill for the needs of the OP.

CHEERS!

Warmly,
Michael

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #64 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:42 pm »
So far we have seven pages of discussion on an irrelevant topic like wire, just like any other audiodork site. Is this what we come here for?

Whatta waste of bandwidth and more importantly, my time.

I'm gone.

Otis

On behalf of all the audiodorks, thank you for your posting your evaluation, based on your personal findings, and all the pertinent links, experiments that bolster your opinion on how irrelevant wire is. The care and time you've bestowed upon us in a effort to reassure us, is beyond a doubt, one we can never even hope to repay you for.

Thanks for stopping by. Of course I understand now, how all of this is beneath you.  :notworthy:

Cheers

retiredguy

« Reply #65 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:02 pm »

I hope this thread has provided the original poster with some beneficial information, and some entertainment as well  :duel:

When I started this thread I was hoping for some ideas from people who have and use AVA products.  I wanted suggestions for interconnect cables that work well with AVA electronics based upon actual  personal experience.  I did get some beneficial information which helped me in my search.  Thank YOU for those posts.   :thumb:  Beyond that, the "entertainment value" of this thread was pretty limited--non-existent in fact.   :duh:  :nono:  Therefore, I would ask that this thread be locked.

fredgarvin

« Reply #66 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:14 pm »
Or you could just become a musician. :wink:

Cheers 8
Dayglo, how true! With all the care I have spent in assembling my system, I find it hard to listen without plugging in and playing along...It also seems ridiculous that I've spent far more on my stereo gear than on my geetar amps!? :lol:

boead

« Reply #67 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:19 pm »

When I started this thread I was hoping for some ideas from people who have and use AVA products.  I wanted suggestions for interconnect cables that work well with AVA electronics based upon actual  personal experience.  I did get some beneficial information which helped me in my search.  Thank YOU for those posts.   :thumb:  Beyond that, the "entertainment value" of this thread was pretty limited--non-existent in fact.   :duh:  :nono:  Therefore, I would ask that this thread be locked.

On my AVA T7 preamp I found that a set of MIT S3 (Series-3) low impedance IC worked nicely. Both from the CD Player and to the amp. I tried a couple of others, a ZuCable Getty (I believe) that I didn’t’ like much and a Synergistic Research that I did like.

I tried a ZuCable Birth power cord that I didn’t like at all, sort of thin and lack a significant amount of bass. I tried a Virtual Dynamic Power Basic that I also didn’t like. I tried a Virtual Dynamic Power-3 that I thought was ok. I also tried a Harmonic Technology Model AC-11 that was very nice, richer bottom end sweater highs. I tried, bought and used a Harmonic Technology Model AC-10 that I think was perfect.

I tried a slew of tubes. I thought most were either ok or sucked. I only found a couple I liked in 12AT7, the best being a Sylvania triple mica gray plate. In the phono section (12AX7), I used a NOS Sylvania triple mica black plate and my favorite, an Amprex long-smooth plate 12AX7. I used the phono section with a Grado Red.

I didn’t try too many other IC’s because I had already gone through a long listening experience with about a dozen or more popular IC’s on a couple of different systems besides my own. I found that the MIT S2 and S2 IC’s were about as good as it got, better being very small margins at enormous expense. I liked IC’s from Synergistic Research (cheap and expensive). I didn’t like any Nortost or anything silver, too bright for my taste.

Oh and I tried RadioShack Gold series IC’s ($40 +/-) and they sounded bright, a little edgy and had the lest amount of bass. I also tried Monster Cables 200’s and 400’s, both were almost indistinguishable from the RadioShack cables. I tried a DIY set of CAT5’s that were thin and lifeless, just horrible and I tried DIY Belden studio hookup wire which sounded nicer then the CAT5 but not too much different, sort of thin as in a lack of bass.
Oh yeah, also a set of JPS Labs IC’s that were ok, still lacked bass weight. 

« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2006, 05:58 pm by boead »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #68 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:28 pm »
Dayglo, how true! With all the care I have spent in assembling my system, I find it hard to listen without plugging in and playing along...It also seems ridiculous that I've spent far more on my stereo gear than on my geetar amps!?    :lol:

Yup, that way, you're the performer, the audience, and your biggest fan, all at the same time! :thumb:

fredgarvin,  :nono:

You've got to get your priorities straight, don't neglect your geetar amps! How could you? There's amps, and den ders AMPS!!!

Don't even get me started on tube rolling! :lol:

Cheers  :rock:

fredgarvin

« Reply #69 on: 20 Dec 2006, 07:01 pm »

On my AVA T7 preamp I found that a set of MIT S3 (Series-3) low impedance IC worked nicely. Both from the CD Player and to the amp. I tried a couple of others, a ZuCable Getty (I believe) that I didn’t’ like much and a Synergistic Research that I did like.

I tried a ZuCable Birth power cord that I didn’t like at all, sort of thin and lack a significant amount of bass. I tried a Virtual Dynamic Power Basic that I also didn’t like. I tried a Virtual Dynamic Power-3 that I thought was ok. I also tried a Harmonic Technology Model AC-11 that was very nice, richer bottom end sweater highs. I tried, bought and used a Harmonic Technology Model AC-10 that I think was perfect.

I tried a slew of tubes. I thought most were either ok or sucked. I only found a couple I liked in 12AT7, the best being a Sylvania triple mica gray plate. In the phono section (12AX7), I used a NOS Sylvania triple mica black plate and my favorite, an Amprex long-smooth plate 12AX7. I used the phono section with a Grado Red.

I didn’t try too many other IC’s because I had already gone through a long listening experience with about a dozen or more popular IC’s on a couple of different systems besides my own. I found that the MIT S2 and S2 IC’s were about as good as it got, better being very small margins at enormous expense. I liked IC’s from Synergistic Research (cheap and expensive). I didn’t like any Nortost or anything silver, too bright for my taste.

Oh and I tried RadioShack Gold series IC’s ($40 +/-) and they sounded bright, a little edgy and had the lest amount of bass. I also tried Monster Cables 200’s and 400’s, both were almost indistinguishable from the RadioShack cables. I tried a DIY set of CAT5’s that were thin and lifeless, just horrible and I tried DIY Belden studio hookup wire which sounded nicer then the CAT5 but not too much different, sort of thin as in a lack of bass.
Oh yeah, also a set of JPS Labs IC’s that were ok, still lacked bass weight. 

Boed, I'm not a real wire head, but I did hear the Radio Shack Gold exactly as you did. I use them from my phono pre which sounds a mite dark, so they might be  helping there. I guess the most differances I have heard in wire would be in digital cable. Impedance, I think, is the culprit.

boead

« Reply #70 on: 20 Dec 2006, 07:28 pm »
That’s funny, I use the Radio Shacks on my TT too. Actually two sets, to and from the  phono pre I use now (A Bellari). Its ok, if I spun more records, I’d try something else.

You like Frank Frazetta?

This one is my favorite. I saw it at a gallery in NYC some time ago. He wanted well over $100,000 for it if I remember correctly, its giant  sized!

Not mine!

How about Roger Dean!

mikethep

« Reply #71 on: 20 Dec 2006, 10:13 pm »
Interconnect cables and interconnections, actually: Aloha and ave, boaed!!
As the current owner of your T7, I salute you and note your interest in fantasy art.
My (nth) cousin Jeff Pittarelli is a fantasy artist and Frank Frazetta was a big influence
on him. We have one of his (Pittarelli's) G-rated things in the house (house also contains
children). I again have to agree with you that interconnects and power cords make a
difference on that particular T7. Whether the difference is psychological or due to
extreme cable capacitance or whatever causing filtering, etc., I don't know. The only cables I've used
to connect the T7 to an FET Valve 550 so far are Kimber Hero, Cardas Neutral Reference,
and Tsunami Ultra ($30). The Tsunami cables are very thin sounding. Cardas has a kind of
unnatural warmth/depth to it. But maybe that is the desired effect. The Kimber Hero
sounds more natural than the other two.
Mike Pittarelli

Wayner

« Reply #72 on: 20 Dec 2006, 10:53 pm »
I put an IEC socket on my toaster and the toast is done almost as fast as I push the lever down!  :lol:

All kidding aside, I would like to know the physical differences between your fancy cords and the standard ones that come on any of Franks equipment. Is it a larger conductor size? How many strands does each conductor have? What type of copper is it? What material is the insulation made of? What kind of shielding (if any) is used? is the plug "molded on" or physically attached as an "add-on"? Are the plug contacts solid or folded metal?

Hopefully, with all of the new information, we may discover the secrets of power cables that few know and enjoy. After all, this forum's purpose is to exchange ideas and increase musical listening pleasure, right? "Tis the season.  aa

fredgarvin

« Reply #73 on: 20 Dec 2006, 11:13 pm »
That’s funny, I use the Radio Shacks on my TT too. Actually two sets, to and from the  phono pre I use now (A Bellari). Its ok, if I spun more records, I’d try something else.

You like Frank Frazetta?

This one is my favorite. I saw it at a gallery in NYC some time ago. He wanted well over $100,000 for it if I remember correctly, its giant  sized!

Not mine!

How about Roger Dean!

I love Frazzeta, being enthralled by his book covers as a kid. I hope to someday make it to his family-run museum. i watched a documentary about him recently. A very talented man. Not familiar with Roger Dean, as yet.

boead

« Reply #74 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:54 am »

I would like to know the physical differences between your fancy cords and the standard ones that come on any of Franks equipment. Is it a larger conductor size? How many strands does each conductor have? What type of copper is it? What material is the insulation made of? What kind of shielding (if any) is used? is the plug "molded on" or physically attached as an "add-on"? Are the plug contacts solid or folded metal?

http://harmonictech.com/

boead

« Reply #75 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:59 am »

I love Frazzeta, being enthralled by his book covers as a kid. I hope to someday make it to his family-run museum. i watched a documentary about him recently. A very talented man. Not familiar with Roger Dean, as yet.

You’ll like Roger Dean. He’s responsible for all the Yes covers and all the Yes band members solo covers since the early 70’s. He’s also a sculpture of kinds. Very ground breaking stuff in the 60’s and 70’s. He also had this bizarre way of handling oil paint, used all sorts of mediums to apply the oils including air brushes. Most of the scans I see online don’t come close to doing his pieces justice. The colors are spectacular in person.

Wayner

« Reply #76 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:46 pm »
I went to the Harmonictech website. 2 powercords caught my eye. Magic and Fantasy are great names for these products.

Not much for specifications.