RM V60 is coming....7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0

John Casler

Re: RM V60 is coming....7-6-5
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2006, 03:21 pm »
Where does the new sub fit in the VMPS "food chain"?

There will be two sub models, which fit on the "top" of the VMPS Sub offerings.

One is the VSS (Very Solid Sub) which Brian has already described and it is a version of the LARGER with 2" baffles (Solid) and the new 15" Driver.

The other will be disclosed when Brian chooses (hopefully Friday the 15th or earlier) which is a Super Sub even beyond the capabilities of the VSS.

It is the genetic abberation of the current VMPS sub family.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: RM V60 is coming....7-6-5-4
« Reply #41 on: 11 Dec 2006, 04:41 pm »
We are offering two bass systems with the RM 60.  The VSS is slightly smaller than the Larger Sub but very stout and heavy.  It comes powered or passive and runs $1250-$1850ea depending on finish and whether you opt for the builtin amp/crossover.

You can use one or two VSS with a pair of RM 60, which is priced at $8900pr without outboard subwoofers in mls rosewood, macassar ebony and piano black.  Veneers are available in satin or piano finish, the latter a $400pr option (OK, there is a lot of glazing and buffing involved in applying the piano finish). The main section of the 60's covers 70Hz to 25kHz only.  I decided to keep long wavelengths out of the main speakers to reduce surface-born vibration.  The main section weighs about the same as the RM 40, 250 lbs per side.

Bass option II is a new 6ft tall powered woofer column (the VLA, or Very Large Array) with five 12" plus one side-firing 15".  It is very heavy, over 300 lbs, is standard with amp/crossover, and is priced at $4950ea.  Use one or two.

If you already have a good sub you can buy just the main speakers at $8900 (quoted prices are all plus shipping) and bring in your sub(s) at 70Hz.  If desired you can step up later to the VSS or the VLA bass column(s).  My idea was to make the system both modular and flexible, as well as low cost, while outperforming any competition regardless of price.  Well, if not outperform, at least offer significant sonic advantages, including 180 degree Constant Directivity with frequency fullrange, subsonic bass, supersonic treble, high efficiency (around 94-100dB/1W/1m depending on section), great linearity, and a high degree of musicality.

Cap and wiring options include the TRT's at $1200/set and all Bolder Nitro wire at $700/set.  OXO's are standard and "nest" unobtrusively in the base of the main speakers.  Single amp, biamp, and triamp options are available, plus a crossover bypass for DEQX and other processors.

To make the deal even more attractive there will be a tradeup option for 
current VMPS owners so that you won't have to hassle the Audiogon
scene.  Of course you're welcome to convert your current VMPS to side/rear/surround duty or give them to your teenager. If the three stock finishes are not your cuppa, we will offer custom finishes (any known veneer or paint) with a 90 day lead time at whatever extra cost Honduran Bubinga (alright, I made that one up) runs. 

I'll deal with the gorilla-in-the-room question now, rather than later.  WHY SO CHEAP??  Particularly since I boldly challenge the $200k systems to do better.  Some audiophiles reject the very idea of a defining state-of-the-art speaker under $20k.  I can't help that, but maybe it's time for attitude improvement in the High End.  We shall see.

As for looks, the RM 60 is so sublimely beautiful even the fussiest audio-as-sculpture crowd should be pleased.  I'm not just talking finish here, although that is edge-of-the-art too: the shape and lines simply appeal to the eye.  There is little or nothing to indicate from outward appearance that this is a speaker system, or even the high tech gear it truly is. 

Photos and specs will be published end of this week.  In the meantime I ask John Casler to run that pic of the Winged Victory again.  That will give you a very good idea.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #42 on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:59 pm »
Guess who gets to see the new speakers & take pics tomorrow?

Lots of pressure there. :lol:

Now we know who to blame if they turn out bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding.

I accept blame for everything....except Iraq!   :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #43 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:08 pm »
Photos and specs will be published end of this week.  In the meantime I ask John Casler to run that pic of the Winged Victory again.  That will give you a very good idea.

Yes, if this were wood, it would look like the RM v60.

Although you might have to imagine some Megawoofers in the base :green:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:29 pm »
those will sell like hotcakes at home depot, art styled home speakers, indoor-outdoor.

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:42 pm »
those will sell like hotcakes at home depot, art styled home speakers, indoor-outdoor.

Yeah, this is actually the "Goddess of Victory" or NIKE.

Since their slogan is "Just Do It", maybe we should adapt "Just Listen" aa

John Casler

« Reply #46 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:48 pm »
Also to raise curiosity a bit more, aa aside from the fact that the actual speaker design is quite a departure from recent models, it is also intersting that the actual acoustic design has a Split Personality or Sonic Ability that is highly unusual.

That is, it can be used in a room two different ways, which should please a lot of people.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen this done like this before.

BobRex

« Reply #47 on: 11 Dec 2006, 08:22 pm »

Yes, if this were wood, it would look like the RM v60.

So basically, the cabinet is going to be a 36C?

John Casler

« Reply #48 on: 11 Dec 2006, 08:38 pm »
"Fly like an Angel, and sting like a (Big) B" :thumb:

Zheeeem

« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2006, 08:54 pm »
Where does the new sub fit in the VMPS "food chain"?

There will be two sub models, which fit on the "top" of the VMPS Sub offerings.

One is the VSS (Very Solid Sub) which Brian has already described and it is a version of the LARGER with 2" baffles (Solid) and the new 15" Driver.

The other will be disclosed when Brian chooses (hopefully Friday the 15th or earlier) which is a Super Sub even beyond the capabilities of the VSS.

It is the genetic abberation of the current VMPS sub family.

Awwwww keeerist!  I was just able to convince my spousal unit to sell the Strata and get a VMPS sub.  I haven't even ordered it and now I'm looking at upgrades.

Housteau

« Reply #50 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:05 pm »
Since the V60 goes down to 70 Hz, will there be a powered bass version of it as well?

John Casler

« Reply #51 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:20 pm »
Since the V60 goes down to 70 Hz, will there be a powered bass version of it as well?

PBS is now available with "all" new VMPS speakers that have separate binding posts for the the woofer systems.

This only excludes the 626 series, Ribbon Dipole, and LRC.

All others can implement the PBS since it is now available as an "outboard" option.

Housteau

« Reply #52 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:44 pm »
PBS is now available with "all" new VMPS speakers that have separate binding posts for the the woofer systems.

I had forgotten for a moment there that there are two versions of that amp, one designed to be built-in and the other as a stand alone external one.  The external one has that nice extra feature added to it.  It is a phase control which could help aid in setting up subwoofers physically more separated from the main speakers.  Will these new subwoofers use the built-in version, or will they have that extra advantage of the phase control of the external amp?

warnerwh

« Reply #53 on: 11 Dec 2006, 10:12 pm »
An absolutely great idea Brian! I'm very pleased to see you do a world beater. As a matter of fact a while back I'd suggested it in a thread. Here's the thread that showed no interest except to me:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33454.msg297191#msg297191

You have the ingredients and the know how.  I've no doubt the V60 will be competitive with anything in production on the planet. As I stated before I've got my RM 40's to the point they produce some uncanny you can touch it realism.

Best wishes.

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 06:03 am by warnerwh »

tbrooke

« Reply #54 on: 11 Dec 2006, 10:23 pm »
OK should I tell my wife first or just wait until they deliver two 6 foot tall subwoofer columns and a pair of wooden winged victories?  :roll:

Tom

Brad

« Reply #55 on: 11 Dec 2006, 10:27 pm »
Roll the dice, Tom.....wait'll you see the look of surprise on her face   :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #56 on: 11 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm »
OK should I tell my wife first or just wait until they deliver two 6 foot tall subwoofer columns and a pair of wooden winged victories?  :roll:

Tom

Blindfold her, put on her favorite piece, and let the VMPS "Wings of Victory" carry her away. aa (metaphorically of course)

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #57 on: 11 Dec 2006, 11:47 pm »
I just showed the RM 60 cabinet to Jim of ribbonspeakers.net and am sorry I lacked a camera to photograph his world-record jaw-drop.

I have asked Jim to post his impressions without describing the system.

John Casler

« Reply #58 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:46 am »

I had forgotten for a moment there that there are two versions of that amp, one designed to be built-in and the other as a stand alone external one.  The external one has that nice extra feature added to it.  It is a phase control which could help aid in setting up subwoofers physically more separated from the main speakers.  Will these new subwoofers use the built-in version, or will they have that extra advantage of the phase control of the external amp?

Hi Dave,

They can be ordered either way, but we always suggest the "outboard" option if practical.  Or the Plate version can be installed in a slightly larger OXO box, for those who want that config.

PLMONROE

« Reply #59 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:20 am »
Brian you stated that the VSS would be down 0db at 20hz and 10db down at 14hz. Would you be kind enough to comment on how the specs of the VLA should compare please?