TOWER RECORDS CLOSING DOORS

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: TOWER RECORDS CLOSING DOORS
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2006, 07:38 am »
Wow!   In a way it's weird to see them fail.  At one point, something like 10% of all the music sold in the US was sold not just by Tower, but by their single biggest store! :o  Still, they didn't keep a competant business model.  I buy a lot online, too, and the rest I buy at BB.  You have to be competitive on price, or have a lot of stuff you can't get elsewhere.  To me the 'net stores offer better service & better selection.

Sadly, I guess, I post not to praise Tower but to bury them.

EMM801

« Reply #21 on: 9 Oct 2006, 01:42 pm »

As a young adult, having been raised on the joys found and purchased from E.J. Korvettes, it seemed like there were MILES of vinyl ... and imports, the likes of which one had never before seen??  Talk about feeling like a kid in a candy store!!

OMG, somebody else remembers EJ Korvettes! When I was a tyke I thought they sold cars!  :lol:
When I was 14 and saved for a year to buy (and build) my first Dynaco stereo, I had enough left over to buy TWO albums: Santana Abraxas ($3.29) and Firesign Theatre "Don't Cush that Dwarf, Hand me the Pliers" for $2.39.

You mentioned WDC, ever shop at Serenade Records (big indy shop)?

JoshK

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2006, 01:42 pm »
I usually make copies of cds I'm lukewarm on and then trade in the originals for new music . There used to be a number of stores in the area that took in trades , now there is only one left . I guess I could trade on some of the internet sites but that seems like a hassle with all the mailing , postage & waiting .   :|

Try lala.com.  I recently signed up based on a recommendation from Tito.  They send you prepaid mailers with cd cases so all you have to do is drop in the mail.  That pretty much takes care of the hassle.   

Since I take a lot of chances and buy lots of music based on things I heard about the band, I have lots of stuff I don't really care for to trade so it works nice for me. 

Freejazz

« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2006, 02:29 pm »
EMM801,

You are testing my memory banks, as this was in the time period that Waxie Maxie was still a vinyl force and nobody beat the Wiz!  :wink:

My old haunts, besides Tower, included Orpheus Records (when it was still in Georgetown), Serenade, Melody, Olsson's stores on Connecticut Ave, Wisconsin Ave and in Old Town Alexandria (and didn't they have a warehouse in Rockville?), Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville. and Second Story Books and Antiques on Dupont Circle and in Bethesda.

On more recent trips (four+ years ago), many of the stops were the same (although many were in other locations), but I always tried to add the CD Celler in Falls Church, Smash in Adams Morgan, CD Depot in College Park ... and if possible a couple of the Baltimore Record and Tape Traders and Soundgarden (a favorite from my days Syracuse, NY!)

It really was music first for me.

Thanks

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2006, 12:47 am »
I had no idea before I read Tower.com's 'About Us' section that their first store was on Bay and Columbus in San Francisco...I just passed that very store two hours ago and saw the 'Going Out of Business' signs.  So sad - I have one just a few miles north of me, too.

Wonder if Tower.com will continue as the stores close?  There is no mention of bankruptcy on the site, nor any out of the ordinary deals indicated. Running website with software titles in various formats is a lot less overhead expense than running a chain of stores, for sure.

Perhaps there is life yet on the web for Tower Records?  aa

ehart

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2006, 02:20 am »
I usually make copies of cds I'm lukewarm on and then trade in the originals for new music . There used to be a number of stores in the area that took in trades , now there is only one left . I guess I could trade on some of the internet sites but that seems like a hassle with all the mailing , postage & waiting .   :|

Umm, sorry to say the obvious, but you can't have it both ways.  If you are "lukewarm" on the music, don't copy it, just trade it in.  If you copy it *and* trade in, then you are not legal.

R_burke

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2006, 07:46 pm »
I had no idea before I read Tower.com's 'About Us' section that their first store was on Bay and Columbus in San Francisco...I just passed that very store two hours ago and saw the 'Going Out of Business' signs.  So sad - I have one just a few miles north of me, too.

Wonder if Tower.com will continue as the stores close?  There is no mention of bankruptcy on the site, nor any out of the ordinary deals indicated. Running website with software titles in various formats is a lot less overhead expense than running a chain of stores, for sure.

Perhaps there is life yet on the web for Tower Records?  aa

According to the article I read, Towerrecords.com was sold separately so they aren't necessarily in closeout.  Which seems a little weird to me (not sure how they handle inventory), but I know the website doesn't say anything about clearance.

BTW I just went to a smaller Tower in San Jose and the "clearance" wasn't much of a deal.  10% off of CDs, but here's the kicker, pretty much everything has been remarked at List Price, so the 10% doesn't get you much.  Except for a few obscure things,  I found better pricing at Best Buy and Amazon

mjosef

« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2006, 11:22 pm »

According to the article I read, Towerrecords.com was sold separately so they aren't necessarily in closeout.  Which seems a little weird to me (not sure how they handle inventory), but I know the website doesn't say anything about clearance.

BTW I just went to a smaller Tower in San Jose and the "clearance" wasn't much of a deal.  10% off of CDs, but here's the kicker, pretty much everything has been remarked at List Price, so the 10% doesn't get you much.  Except for a few obscure things,  I found better pricing at Best Buy and Amazon

Exactly why Tower didn't make it, they can't even get a "clearance sale" right :lol:
Sunday I popped in there, and was like...they calling this a sale???Pleeeease.
Hasta la vista Tower.

Levi

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:22 am »
Yeah Chris - I saw one close to PC Richards.  That is sad.  I actually grew up and bought my first cassette tape at Tower Records.  I also bought concert tickets there and camped out.  That was awhile back.

There is always Barnes and Noble where you can actually listen to ALL the CDs before buying.

Bummed out day today.... :cry:
As I left for work , I passed my local Tower here on Long Island, and they had the "Going Out Of Business" sign up. :shake:
The store is like three blocks away....open till midnight everyday...and I'd stop there at least twice a week to check things out....and buy it "now".

Now....I'm left with what's here....Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Target....never have the hard to find cd's, imports, jazz, ect.......
This sucks !!!

I'll miss them......

Chris

eico1

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:27 am »
I bought all my vinyl at Korvettes on route 4 in NJ, I thought it was  $3.33. First purchase was the Stones Their Satanic Majesties Request, of course with 3d cover!

steve

EMM801

« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct 2006, 01:19 pm »
EMM801,

You are testing my memory banks, as this was in the time period that Waxie Maxie was still a vinyl force and nobody beat the Wiz!  :wink:

My old haunts, besides Tower, included Orpheus Records (when it was still in Georgetown), Serenade, Melody, Olsson's stores on Connecticut Ave, Wisconsin Ave and in Old Town Alexandria (and didn't they have a warehouse in Rockville?), Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville. and Second Story Books and Antiques on Dupont Circle and in Bethesda.

On more recent trips (four+ years ago), many of the stops were the same (although many were in other locations), but I always tried to add the CD Celler in Falls Church, Smash in Adams Morgan, CD Depot in College Park ... and if possible a couple of the Baltimore Record and Tape Traders and Soundgarden (a favorite from my days Syracuse, NY!)

It really was music first for me.

Thanks

Joe's Record Paradise, CD Depot, and Record and Tape Traders are all stiil around (knock wood).

SET Man

« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2006, 01:01 am »
Hey!

Sad news indeed :( Hmmm... I don't remember the last time I was in the Tower. But...

I used to go to Tower often back then when I was in High School and my early collage years. :D

Than couple of years later the Virgin Megastores opened. They are expensive but they have more selection... especially my type of music like trip-hop/electronic, imports and of cause vinyls! :D

But I think what really killed them is really the internet store like Amazon.com... of which lately I find myself bying CDs from them and than there is the site like iTune and etc. :roll:

The the demise of Tower Record I guess the tridtional way of buying music is in the decline. This is sad and... The iTune is troublesome for me... why would anyone pay what? $9.99 per album in 128K MP3 format without booklet insert!  :? Then again for younger people this is cool for them :roll:

Oh! Well, at least in NYC I still have the Virgin and smaller record shop... yes those store that acuturally sell vinyls like the Rebel Rebel on Bleeker street. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2006, 01:25 am by SET Man »

Levi

« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2006, 02:10 am »
Hi Buddy - I think what killed Tower Records is Tower Records itself.  Who will pay $17 for a CD?  While next door sells the same CD for $14.99.   Ok $12.99.  The point is they are expensive compared to others.  People are well informed nowadays.  A typical smart buyer will not shop at Tower Records. 

All CDs are now 10% discount.  Even with the discount most CDs are still expensive.  I will not comment on heavy metal music in the background.  I am waiting until it is 40% and maybe I will buy some CDs.   Maybe.  That's just me. :wink:

SET Man

« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2006, 02:16 am »
Hi Buddy - I think what killed Tower Records is Tower Records itself.  Who will pay $17 for a CD?  While next door sells the same CD for $14.99.   Ok $12.99.  The point is they are expensive compared to others.  People are well informed nowadays.  A typical smart buyer will not shop at Tower Records. 

All CDs are now 10% discount.  Even with the discount most CDs are still expensive.  I will not comment on heavy metal music in the background.  I am waiting until it is 40% and maybe I will buy some CDs.   Maybe.  That's just me. :wink:

Hey!

You are right about that :D I guess that is why I ended up buying CDs from Amazon.com most of time lately :roll:

Talk about expensive.... Virgin store is also pretty expensive too. But since they have alot of the kind of music I like and vinyls. I do shop there now. :D

Hey! if the Tower going to do 40% off soon... let me know :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 12 Oct 2006, 06:44 am »

The the demise of Tower Record I guess the tridtional way of buying music is in the decline. This is sad and... The iTune is troublesome for me... why would anyone pay what? $9.99 per album in 128K MP3 format without booklet insert!  :? Then again for younger people this is cool for them :roll:

That's probably part of the problem- our perspective.  When I was a kid a CD was a lot of money.  Rather, $15 was a lot relative to what I had.  At my first job minimum wage was $2.45, and I thought that was a fortune! :lol:  You really had to save up and be into music.  Of course, there wasn't much else to buy compared to today.  But kids today have a record amount of discretionary income, according to all the stats I've seen.  $10 per "disc" of MP3's isn't much if your allowance is a couple hundred a month.

I don't wanna have to go on about walking 20 miles to school and back, uphill both ways, but my parents would have died of laugher if I told them I wanted a $100 pair of sneakers. :lol:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2006, 03:18 pm »
Yep it's official now. All the tower stores in the San Francisco bay area are closing. Saw the add in the morning newspaper. Seems to me that Tower and The Good Guys audio were owned by the same company. Good Guys went belly up some time ago. Now Tower bites the dust. Poor management??? Other retailers like K-Mart and Sears have gone through bad times but they are still in business.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

martyo

« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:46 pm »
We used to stop at the Tower on Columbus in '69 and '70 on our way home from the Fillmore West. I think it was open all night. It seemed all the customers were in the same "electric" state at that time of the night. Long time ago. Tower's prices were high but for years I would go there for hard to find music. The internet changed that. The last two times I was there was for a book and a magazine.

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:49 pm »

OMG, somebody else remembers EJ Korvettes!

Hey, my dad's XAM speakers from Korvettes back in the 60s (that he paired with his Fisher 400 receiver) are still in our old house!  8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2006, 02:19 am »
Percentage check....now at 20% off list on L.I. ....30% on magazines.
Racks are slowly thinning...did pick up a Paul Chambers box set from Mosaic Records...never saw it there before....only one they had. 8)

gongos

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2006, 02:26 am »
Percentage check....now at 20% off list on L.I. ....30% on magazines.
Racks are slowly thinning...did pick up a Paul Chambers box set from Mosaic Records...never saw it there before....only one they had. 8)

Wow, their prices are almost as good as other CD retailers now. :shh: