TOWER RECORDS CLOSING DOORS

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: TOWER RECORDS CLOSING DOORS
« Reply #140 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:13 am »
Tower Records - Carle Place......is now closed. :(
Pasted by tonight....lights off, sunshades down...."store closed*stock sold" sign on the door.....glad I stopped there last night.

Another one bites the dust................ :sad:

Antman27

« Reply #141 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:24 am »
Yep Massapequa is closed also
I was hoping to stop in tonight off the train but NG~

mjosef

« Reply #142 on: 22 Dec 2006, 05:02 am »
Hey, check the dumpster behind the back...maybe they dumped the leftovers  :lol: :lol:

Levi

« Reply #143 on: 22 Dec 2006, 05:34 am »
Let's see who's next?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #144 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:04 am »
Obviously I've never been to a Tower Records but it's still hard to imagine them not existing any longer.  How the mighty have fallen.  Is the complete demise of the B&M record store destined to occur in the near future?  Will it be just Wal-Mart?

mjosef

« Reply #145 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:10 am »
Possibly...the mart plus best buy. Virgin seems to be doing alright.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #146 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:16 am »
Better save those red and yellow plastic Tower bags....in 20 years you can auction them off on Ebay....a collectors item..... :lol:

There was a Virgin store about a mile away from the Tower store here on Long Island....it just lasted a year or so here....then it closed. :?

mjosef

« Reply #147 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:34 am »
The only Virgin Megastore I know is the one at Union Square, always bustling in there, loud music and all. So maybe they do well only in high traffic urban environments. I used to go to a little music store in the Village, they sold new and used cds, I noticed they closed recently but their other store at Union Square is still open.

My last two trips to Tower, they packed my cds in artstore.com bags...buggers, I guess I will miss out on the future collectability of Tower stuff.

BeatleFred

• Sansui BA-5000/Infinity Renaissance 90
« Reply #148 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:23 am »
I took a ride out to Carle Place (I live in Queens) recently, but it was a waste of time. There wasnt much left
in the place, so I went back out emptyhanded.  I will be in the city next week, curious how the store on Broadway
in the Village is doing.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #149 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:27 am »
I took a ride out to Carle Place (I live in Queens) recently, but it was a waste of time. There wasnt much left
in the place, so I went back out emptyhanded.  I will be in the city next week, curious how the store on Broadway
in the Village is doing.
I'm not in the city (Manhattan)....but the Long Island stores are all closed now....out of business.

Too bad you missed the sale....things went fast at Carle Place.....

BeatleFred

• Sansui BA-5000/Infinity Renaissance 90
« Reply #150 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:31 am »
Yeah, I know. Oh well.... Its a shame. I remember going there in the past during better days.
The huge magazine rack itself was reason enough to go.
Well, there's always the huge Virgin Megastore in Times Square.

Regards,

Fred

www.sansui.us

xsb7244

« Reply #151 on: 2 Jan 2007, 09:57 pm »
picked up 11 CDs and one was a winner and I never heard of her:  nancy lamott live at tavern on the green.
if you love songs like the way we were you will love nancy lamott.  she is great but sadly she passed away.

Levi

« Reply #152 on: 3 Jan 2007, 12:16 am »
If you still want to shop at Tower Records here you go:  http://www.towerrecords.com/Default.aspx

lonewolfny42

« Reply #153 on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:18 am »
Update....News Item :

"Tower Records founder Russ Solomon has signed a lease at the old Tower Records building on Broadway in Sacramento, CA, and will open a record store in April. (Sacramento Bee)"

Starting over...... :wink:

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #154 on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:31 am »
The Tower location near me has re-opened as an F.Y.E. (For Your Entertainment I suppose) selling essentially what Tower did. As soon as that Tower closed the signs were up that an F.Y.E. was opening there. I have not been in but the parking lot has about 1/3 of the cars in it than when it was a Tower.

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #155 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:17 pm »
Update....News Item :

"Tower Records founder Russ Solomon has signed a lease at the old Tower Records building on Broadway in Sacramento, CA, and will open a record store in April. (Sacramento Bee)"

Starting over...... :wink:

Yup. Directly across the street from where he first started selling records (his father's drug store).

The Broadway store's where I'd been going all my life. It'll be a bit of a trip though for those in Los Angeles, New York and London.  :green:

se

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #156 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:19 pm »
If you still want to shop at Tower Records here you go:  http://www.towerrecords.com/Default.aspx

Was reading somewhere yesterday (Gizmodo?) that the towerrecords.com URL is on the auction block.

se