Help buying my first turntable....

RH Customs

Help buying my first turntable....
« on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:41 pm »
I'm just now getting serious about two channel audio and would like to get a turntable. My question is what is a good started turntable and phono preamp for around $500 or less?

Thanks
RH

ricmon

Re: Help buying my first turntable....
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:53 pm »
Check out the Pro_ject stuff.  I have an Pro-Ject Xpression Mk I but the Debut III Basic Black is $299.00 and they have a phone pre amp that start at $119.00.  If you can swing it i would go for the SE version for a few bucks more.  Also this TT reviewed very well.  Hope this helps

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Turntables-Debut-III-Basic-Black?sc=7&category=947

RH Customs

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:59 pm »
That looks really nice, and I like the special editions, especially the blue one.

RH

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:23 pm »
Some budget phono stages to consider:

The Bellari tube phono stage
The NAD PP-2
The Channel Islands phono stage

I also like Ricmon's idea of going all Pro-ject.  You would be getting equipment designed to work together.
That blue one is pretty cool.
You could get that and their phono stage within your budget and have a great start to vinyl.

anal.log

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2006, 05:06 pm »
Pro-ject also has the Debut III with a built in phono stage.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2006, 05:10 pm »
You will find no better turntable under $1000 than the Technics SL1200. Yeah, I know, it's a DJ table. Get over the fact that it's a DJ table and just buy one. It is a rock solid table that will last decades and sound great doing it. For a phono stage, look at the Parasound model at Audioadvisor. Please trust me here, you won't do better at triple the price. Go to www.kabusa.com.

RH Customs

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2006, 06:58 pm »
Who has the Debut III with phono stage?

RH

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2006, 07:32 pm »
Listen to Merle.  Get a Technics 1200.  I wish that I had started with it.  It is easy to use and setup.  It works like a precision piece not a toy.  Save yourself much frustration.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2006, 07:40 pm »
I hope he takes the 1200 recommendation seriously. It will eat the Project for lunch. I "upgraded" my 1210Mk5 to a VPI Scoutmaster with Signature arm. I'm back to the 1210Mk5 and no, I'm not crazy. It's the last turntable I'll ever need.

Merle

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2006, 07:45 pm »
I'd also mention that KAB sells a whole host of upgrades / mods for the 1200. Add the arm damper and the outboard power supply along with the threaded record clamp and you have a table that can hold it's own with most anything out there. Or of course, you could spend more and get a nice Rega arm mounted to a piece of pressboard spinning on a rubber band.

andrew

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2006, 07:52 pm »
The 1200 hundred is not a bad bet at all, just let down by the - made to a price - arm. Try the Origin Live arm plate and mods on an RB250 arm. That would have timing rhythm and pace is spades...don't have one myself but some folks I know and respect are impressed by this combo.

cheers,

-- Andrew

lcrim

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:16 pm »
I disagree with replacing the Technics arm w/ an RB250.
The Technics 1200 arm has precision, easy adjustments for VTF, anti-skating and VTA.  Add the hydraulic damping and it rivals tonearms costing thousands. For the beginner, a real advantage.
The RB250 requires an add-on for something as basic as VTA.  In fact the Rega arm's biggest attraction is the wide range of add-ons available for it. 

Merle

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:27 pm »
Again, there is nothing wrong with the Technics arm. It's a work of art and very effective. Buy what you want but this is probably the best advice you will receive in your audiophile life.

Brad

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:28 pm »
Or of course, you could spend more and get a nice Rega arm mounted to a piece of pressboard spinning on a rubber band.

Merle - don't hold back on us.  :lol: We want to know what you really think.

Seriously - I would love to hear a SL1200.  I priced out one on KAB and came up to nearly $1000 without cartridge.
Have you tried yours with a MC cart like the Dynavector 10x5?

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:34 pm »
Maybe you could consider buying a turntable on eBay. I would suggest a single motor version of the AR-XA mounted with a MM Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge. IMHO, the AR will simply beat anything under a 1000 dollars, if it is set up and lubed properly. I just bought a mint AR for 110 dollars. It's 40 years old and looks like it will last another 40 years. Of couse, their easy to mod as well.

Just an idea.

W

Merle

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:45 pm »
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a huge fan of the 1200. Like Kevin at KAB, I truly believe it has few peers. None ANYWHERE near it's price. I've run a Groovemaster, Grado Gold, Grado Platinum, AT OC9, Denon 103 and a few others not worth mentioning. I tried a Blackbird and found it wasn't a great match. Other than that, I've had no problems with any others. The Technics was originally designed as a high end HOME turntable. It floundered once the audiophiles decided a table had to be belt driven to be any good. It was discovered by DJ's and remains in production, little changed, to this day. Since the research, tooling, ect have been long paid off, Technics is able to sell them at the cost of a decent interconnect today. If a small manufacturer was to design and release the 1200 as a new model today, it would probably cost thousands of dollars. IMHO, it is the single greatest gift from the audio gods today. I mean, for $500, you can buy a table built to last decades. The build quality on these things is just insane. I could go on and on but you get the idea. Once you get past the fear of what your audiobuddys will think, it's a no brainer. I have all the KAB mods on mine and frankly, there is not another table I'd be interested in trading it for. Like I mentioned before, I sold my Scoutmaster Signature and went back to the Technics. I don't regret it for a minute. The Scoutmaster sounded as good but the Technics is built better and is a hell of a lot easier to use. The unipivot arm on the VPI just wasn't my cup of tea. Last but not least, I really like being to change cartridges in a minute with the Technics. Try that on a Rega. Someone looking for their first or last table could do a whole lot worse than the Technics. I would just ask that the guy looking go to the KAB site and read around. He can buy what he wants but he should at least be aware that there is a table out there that will meet all of his needs that he can actually afford. End of rant.

RH Customs

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:55 pm »
Well for now I want something simple and affordable. I'm currently on a limeted budget and nee to stay under $500 for the TT and phono amp.

RH

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2006, 09:10 pm »
RH,

You might want to look at these prior posts relating to your situation...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28659.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=22938.0

RH Customs

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2006, 09:30 pm »
Looks like I have some more reading. Thanks CJ  :wink:

RH

WEEZ

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2006, 09:49 pm »
RH,

If you are really trying to get a turntable/arm/cartridge/phono-amp all for $500, you will almost be forced to buy used. In the $1000-$1200 range you've opened up your options considerably.

As Wayner suggested, an AR in good shape is really a classic and is probably worth trying to find if you're willing to tinker to get it up to snuff. (I've owned an AR three different times and still kick myself for selling my last one).

The Technics is a fine machine too. But you'll have to shop a little to stay in your budget. Again, used is your option by the time you add a phono amp and cartridge.

It's a worthwhile pursuit. Whatever you chose, remember one thing: isolation and set-up are key to gaining the most out of any vinyl playback system.

Enjoy,

WEEZ