Turntable Recommendations, cheap? 500 and under.

kenscott30

« on: 10 Jun 2006, 07:55 pm »
Dear List.

Firstly I would like to say that I HAVE searched this forum.  I don't really want to go out and buy a MMF-5 or a Project Xpression Mk II.  I would say that this is my max as far as cash.  I want something nice.  I will build the Hagerman Cornet2 I think.  I have a digital amp, charlize from diy paradise and omega mini me speakers (single driver small book shelf).  I have t o build the pre-amp and I need to buy the TT.  Should I just hold out and look for a USED version of the above at audigon?  Are there other TT that are decent used?  I have read that those are a good audiophile bottom end TT.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ken

mcrespo71

Re: Turntable Recommendations, cheap? 500 and under.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2006, 08:02 pm »
Quote from: kenscott30
Dear List.

Firstly I would like to say that I HAVE searched this forum.  I don't really want to go out and buy a MMF-5 or a Project Xpression Mk II.  I would say that this is my max as far as cash.  I want something nice.  I will build the Hagerman Cornet2 I think.  I have a digital amp, charlize from diy paradise and omega mini me speakers (single driver small book shelf).  I have t o build the pre-amp and I need to buy the TT.  Should I just hold out and look for a USED version of the above at audigon? ...

Well, what constitutes nice to you?  I mean, it seems you may have a sense of what you want already.

Michael

kenscott30

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2006, 08:07 pm »
Dear mcrespo71,

Yes, I think that I am close.  Nice?  I like the weird acrylic ones for 2,000. But I can't afford them.  I bought my first few Records today, about 8 of them.  So now I have the bug.  I really just care about sound, I can't spring for looks right now.  I see a music hall used at audigon for 450.  That seems fair, very nice condition.  I guess I wanted to get some info on a magical 200.00 TT with a 150 new cartridge that is amazing.  Maybe isn't possible in the land of vinyl.  Was that helpful?

Thanks,

Ken

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2006, 08:35 pm »
Quote from: kenscott30
Dear mcrespo71,

Yes, I think that I am close.  Nice?  I like the weird acrylic ones for 2,000. But I can't afford them.  I bought my first few Records today, about 8 of them.  So now I have the bug.  I really just care about sound, I can't spring for looks right now.  I see a music hall used at audigon for 450.  That seems fair, very nice condition.  I guess I wanted to get some info on a magical 200.00 TT with a 150 new cartridge that is amazing.  Maybe isn't possible in the land of vinyl.  Was that helpful?

Thanks,

Ken

You may want to look for a used Linn Basik.  Oracle had a TT a step down from the delphi, which name eludes me now- that can be had for about $500.  If you need it to be $500 with a cart, you are more stuck if you want newer tables.  I've always liked the sound of Rega TT's far more than the Music Halls, but that's me.  Acrylic is not my favorite material for a platter, but many like it.  I listen mainly to rock n roll.

Michael

chriss

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2006, 10:08 pm »
Hi Ken,
Heres one to consider....

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/technics_sl1200_e.html

Also do a search on AA viynl asylum about this.
It is sound, reliable and proven.Considering the price range your looking for this might be a good choice. I bought a VPI 19jr with arm and cart on A'gon for what your looking to spend so it can be done.
chris

crooner

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:17 pm »
The Sansui SR-838 can be had around your price range. Astonishing performance from this heavy, high-end late 1970s completely manual DD quartz locked table. I use mine with a medium output Benz Glider and a Audio Research PH3 phono preamp. It's that good!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2006, 03:50 am »
I think until you can get a belt driver with a heavy (10 lb-ish) platter (for inertia and speed control) and/or dedicated outboard motor drive.....which typically takes you out of the price range you are looking for...a good direct drive unit from Denon and JVC (even if they are gently used 80's vintage) would get you where you want to go right now for under $500, easy.

Technics tends to be a bit pricier as they are stellar DJ decks...the JVC depreciate nicely and, as Panasonic/Technics sister company, have lots of Matsushita todbits inside for a lot less dough.

(note: I've seen Rega Planar 2's on Audiogon for pretty cheap in good condition....if you add the Heed Audio speed controller for $299....you'd probably be spinning some nice tunes for barely above that $500 mark)

Pot any of those decks inside with a few lbs of plast-i-clay or similar, and you'll be smiling sweetly while playing your vinyl :dance: