Its another GAS Christmas

Scott F.

Re: Its another GAS Christmas
« Reply #40 on: 30 Nov 2006, 11:32 pm »
Thinking about your high end turntable setup - I only have two mobile fidelity lps, and they go back quite a ways, but I have DSOTM and Crime of the Century.  If we could run 'em thru your cleaner I think they'd sound pretty smooth, if anyone's into that sort of music . . .  of course, I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't dig Dark Side just a little.

Cool, if you want to bring them out, that would be great. We can clean them on the my cleaning station. I've got the MF DSOM but I don't have COTC. Thats still one of my favs and I listen to it fairly regularly. Tell you what, the Audio Note TT-1 in the redrum is sounding particularly good in front of Bills speakers. I was jammin on some Cream earlier.

Sturg, keep working on John. I'm going to invite Mike Pranka and Duane (the Disc Doctor) too. I'll make sure that Doc brings some fluids in case anybody wants to get some while he's here (if he can make it, Saturday is Temple).

Bob, you are more than welcome. You'll find the gatherings at my place are more on the social side. Sure, we'll listen to some cool and different gear but it's more about friendship and listening to great music. I think you guys will have a great time.

Oh, and with the parking situation, you may want to think about carpooling if possible. That will definitely help. As for places to crash for those who need or want to, there will be three futons (all in front of one system or another), one sofa, a love seat and a myriad of comfy chairs to pass out in. :green:

alana106

« Reply #41 on: 30 Nov 2006, 11:58 pm »
Scott,

I think Bryan mentioned in a earlier post that I plan to be there.  I'll be bringing my SB3 and an Elpac PS.  Both modified by Bolder.  (Digital Only).

I'd like to take a look at any modest phono stages if anyone has any laying around.  The Clearcircle Turntable is scheduled to arrive tomorrow :D...But who knows, with this weather?

Alan

alana106

« Reply #42 on: 1 Dec 2006, 12:00 am »
Correction....  ClearAudio turntable.... :oops:  Its been a really looong day!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #43 on: 1 Dec 2006, 12:02 am »
Mentioned it to you but just as a reminder...  I'll be bringing my cuz and I'm pretty sure Albert is planning on coming too.

Any special desert requests? 

Bryan

jcrane

« Reply #44 on: 1 Dec 2006, 12:13 am »
Looks like I will be there, I am going to be flying solo...

Sounds like fun, can't wait.

Jamie

Scott F.

« Reply #45 on: 1 Dec 2006, 02:22 am »
Oh, one other request if anybody has a pair. the Music Bellas a a little on the LARGE side of a monitor. The only speaker stands I have are 24" and 12" tall. I don't have anything in between (18's would be perfect). Considering ear level on the futon in the redrum, the 24's are a might tall. To compensate I've turned the Bellas on their side which works surprisingly well actually. The 12's work OK too but they are just a tad short by about 6" (OK no penis jokes).

If anyone has a pair of this odd height speaker stands, they would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll dream up something that will work. Keep in mind if you have a set, these speakers are the size of Bill's Altec Bolero's (~24x14x12) and they are heavy.

alexstl

« Reply #46 on: 1 Dec 2006, 05:57 am »
Hi Scott,  I will be there and would like to bring my friend Alan who came last year.  What time will things start?  I will bring a desert.  Alex

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #47 on: 1 Dec 2006, 01:05 pm »
Sorry Scott.  Only have 1 set of stands and they're 24".

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #48 on: 2 Dec 2006, 03:06 pm »
OK, here's the list of people so far (in order of who posted first).

Confirmed
bpape & albert?
mark@marktwain
jcrane
steve k
bob jackson +2
mike d
merrev
kirch
sarmck
drummerwill
sturgus +2
alana106
g
blackmore
deadfish
john hillig?
alexstl +1
adrian - confirmed
electricbear (after work?) - confirmed

Possible but not confirmed
mike pranka
duane goldman (the disc doc)
brad medling (if he can get off work)
matthew m (are you coming?)
thom p (flips)
pjchappy (are you coming?)

Who am I forgetting?

Hey, this is an open invitation to any AC members that might be in St Louis on the 9th. Drop me a pm and come on by :thumb:

edit: added more confirmations
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2006, 06:07 am by Scott F. »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #49 on: 4 Dec 2006, 03:38 am »
Scott....
Food. My lovely wife has graciously offered to cook for all of us as you know. It looks as if we'll have burgers, brats, sasizza, salzissa, sasitsa, Italian Sausage, peal and eat shrimps, taters of some sort, a veggie (and likely fruit) tray and chips and dip.

Tasty..... :thankyou:
Saw a show today (Food Network) that my wife had on....Road Tasted : Meet Me In St. Louis. One of their stops....Swiss Meats. Ever try their famous bratwurst ? They said they have close to 40 different brats. :o

Show link...here...
Website link....here......

Thanks......                Chris

Scott F.

« Reply #50 on: 4 Dec 2006, 04:01 am »
Hiya Chris,

I've not tried their meats yet. Next time I'm out in Herman (Mo) I'll make it a point and stop in. Thanks for the tip  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #51 on: 4 Dec 2006, 04:09 am »
Hiya Chris,

I've not tried their meats yet. Next time I'm out in Herman (Mo) I'll make it a point and stop in. Thanks for the tip  :thumb:
Thanks Scott.....From the show, their brats looked excellent.... 8)
....as did the apple pie and prosciutto segment. Made me very hungry.... :lol:

innov8ion

« Reply #52 on: 4 Dec 2006, 09:05 pm »
I'd love to come check it out on the 9th.  Can't stay too late because we're having a party for my gf who is getting her PhD :)  When does it start?  Where at?  Can I bring something?  Food, scotch, etc?

Scott F.

« Reply #53 on: 4 Dec 2006, 10:08 pm »
I'd love to come check it out on the 9th.  Can't stay too late because we're having a party for my gf who is getting her PhD :)  When does it start?  Where at?  Can I bring something?  Food, scotch, etc?

Hiya,

Well, the bash is going to start around 2:00 this Saturday and it is at my house just on the other side of Six Flags. We should have plenty of food but you may want to bring your favorite beverage. I'll have sodas and some liquor but if you feel like bringing a nice single malt you won't hear me complain :wink:

I'll send you (and everybody else) a PM with directions later this evening.

MerRev

« Reply #54 on: 5 Dec 2006, 04:27 pm »
Gearing up for it  :bounce:

I plan on bringing the Peter Daniel's dac and maybe a sweet treat.  I have to admit I'm interested in what you have up your sleeve over there.

Can't wait to see the Opera stand and hear both the Consonance player as well as Bill's Boulder modded Squeezebox. 

Merrev

steve k

« Reply #55 on: 5 Dec 2006, 04:46 pm »
I'm looking forward to the consumation of the Opera Consonance marriage.  :o Scott, I think you should have a small ceremony and say a few words. Blackmore, you should be the one to arrange the magic crystals. I'll bring the incense.  :green:
Peace on ya.
steve

electricbear

« Reply #56 on: 5 Dec 2006, 06:09 pm »
I'll be along after work . Sorry I don't have any stands at the moment that would suit. For a future date I will bring along a pair of AQs new and highly regarded Horizon interconnects. It looks like we will be getting a pair soon so I'll bring them along to the next event.
See you all on Saturday. Scott can you pm me with directions.
Thanks

Scott F.

« Reply #57 on: 5 Dec 2006, 07:10 pm »
For those needing directions here are a couple of links to Yahoo Maps....

Close up of my home address
Note, take Hwy 100 (Manchester) to Thornton Road, turn left, proceed down the hill to Brook Valley Drive, turn left and proceed to Brookview Lane, turn left and go up the hill to the last driveway on the right. My house sits back about 300 feet off the street well behind the other homes. See Parking Notes Below
The landmark to watch for at Hwy 100 and Thornton is a large white (illuminated) cell phone tower disguised as a flagpole and also a delapitated large white barn with green trim that sits less than 10' from the road. The street past the barn and cell tower is Thornton (<200').

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?rezoom=1&ed=2H7lj.p_0TqwCSrD2qPrPsSGLkfAHzD.iho-&csz=Pacific+MO+63069-2720

Coming from the corner of Clarkson and Manchester in Ellisville
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=15908+Manchester+Road&taddr=2280+Brookview+Ln&csz=63011&country=us&tcsz=Pacific%2C+MO+63069-2720&tcountry=us&oerr=3003
NOTE: This map shows you turning directly onto Brookview Lane. You must use the directions above as Brookview does not connect to Hwy 100.

Coming from 270 and 44
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=800+S+Highway+Drive&taddr=2280+Brookview+Ln&csz=63026&country=us&tcsz=Pacific%2C+MO+63069-2720&tcountry=us&oerr=4004
NOTE: Again, the map has it wrong, Brookview does not connect to Hwy 100. You must use the directions above.

PARKING NOTES
I seriously doubt that all of this ice will have melted off by Saturday so parking should be interesting to say the least. I'll have our cars parked elsewhere to free up a couple more parking spaces in our driveway. Our subdivision road is a single lane, so if you park off to one side, be sure to leave plenty of roadway for traffic access. Be careful of the drainage ditches on the west side of the road.

First, please don't try to park on the grass in the yard out in front of my house. Sturgus can attest that when its wet, you will likely need a tow truck to get out  :lol: The driveway up by the house can park 8 cars if we double park people but if you park there you'll need to occasionally move your car to let people back out.

I'll try to get my neighbor to move his boat off to the side to free up the old road that heads up the hill (see the link below for a parking area map). You will be able to pull up the hill and park on one side leaving an exit lane for people coming and going. My guess, we should be able to get 6 or 8 more cars up there. Try not to park directly across from his driveway. That will allow him get in and out.

If the top side of the subdivision is full, after you turn onto Brook Valley and hit the T intersection, turn right and park down in the circle. Just be sure to leave that homeowner plenty of room to get out of his driveway. You'll have to walk up the hill but it isn't too far (~ 1 city block).

If at all possible, I'd like to suggest carpooling with somebody. That will defiantly help with the parking situation.

Heres a link to a map of my subdivision and parking areas
http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10595/parking_directions.jpg

See you guys Saturday around 2:00 or so :green: Oh, and be prepared for some major changes in the basement. I guarantee you won't recognize it  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #58 on: 5 Dec 2006, 08:28 pm »
Nice Scott, you've spent some time with those directions.   :thumb:
Thank you.

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #59 on: 6 Dec 2006, 06:23 am »
Hiya Guys,

Just updated the list of attendees. Adrian called tonight and said he was coming and Tim posted earlier that he's be here after work.

Equipment Update;
The rest of the Aperion speakers (matching center and surrounds) for the HT showed up today. I'll get them installed probably Friday. They'll only have <24 hours on them so don't judge too harshly when you hear them :wink:

Room Updates;
Finally got the system up and running in the big room. It sounds pretty good though I still have some fine tuning to do. It's pretty amazing the way the Lowthers sound now. Tons of depth and a much much larger presentation while gaining better focus and placement. The sweat spot is now a couple of feet wide rather than a couple of inches. There were a couple of compromises. I've lost a bit of the dynamics that come with the rear loaded horn and the bass doesn't have quite the impact it used to but over all I think the gains outweigh the drawbacks. I'll leave it to you guys to judge for yourself.

Bryan, if you get some spare time and wouldn't mind dropping by I'd sure like to get your impressions on the treatments in the big room before the bash. I'll owe you one :wink:

Now if I only had time to get the garage cleaned out of all the empty boxes, leftover lumber and furniture that came from the basement remodel I could score some major brownie points with my lovely wife.

See everybody Saturday  :dance: