Its another GAS Christmas

alana106

Re: Its another GAS Christmas
« Reply #20 on: 2 Nov 2006, 08:12 pm »
Sounds good.  Will say something to Albert.

I'll plan on bringing my SB power supply.  Don't know that I'll have the mods on the SB done by then.  Alan had Wayne do the digital mods on his though - might bring it if you talk to him nice.

No need to even ask nice.  :lol:  The Modded SB3 and I are both available, as well as anything else, just let me know.  I just spoke to the Warden, and SHE said I'll be paroled by then. :dance:  Sounds like a good time.

Bryan, was any estimated timeline given on the Korato order?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: 2 Nov 2006, 09:34 pm »
Kosta said they'd ship early next week.

Bryan

G

« Reply #22 on: 3 Nov 2006, 01:47 am »
Scott would you email me the directions again? I seem to have misplaced my brain. I am working on an Aikido preamp but I doubt it will be ready in time to bring. I will be there though.

Gavin

Scott F.

« Reply #23 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:19 am »
G,

You got it, I'll send out directions to whoever needs them a few days before the gathering.

Sarmck

« Reply #24 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:52 am »
Scott,

Please send the directions my way also whenever you get around to it.

Thanks,
Ron

Blackmore

« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2006, 02:22 pm »
Hey Scott:

Would it be easier to bring the Droplet CDP over earlier in the week so it's already set up and ready for its photo shoot?  That would give you some time with it and let it get to know its lovely vinyl cousin. Maybe they'll hit it off and we'll get an 8 track droplet bundle of joy. :D

Not looking forward to lugging that rig twice on the same day, so I thought you might like to play with it before the party.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2006, 02:34 pm »
ROTFL  :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2006, 03:42 pm »
.... Maybe they'll hit it off and we'll get an 8 track droplet bundle of joy. :D

:lol:

Sure, if you want to drop it off earlier in the week, that would work fine. Lord knows the player and the stand are back-breakers. Just drop me a note when you are ready.

Blackmore

« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2006, 05:33 pm »
I'll pm you as soon as I talk to my neighbor and arrange to borrow her CRV.  It'll be easier to get the stand in the lil' Ute than my car. I'll also bring my longer interconnects to hook the Droplet into the Korato. Sounds like this is going to be fun.

jcrane

« Reply #29 on: 23 Nov 2006, 05:11 am »
so what is the gear lineup going to look like?

What is going to be in for review?

jamie

Scott F.

« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2006, 11:30 am »
Hiya Jamie,

I've got the equipment listed on page 2 of this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31822.10
So far, it doesn't look like much will change from that list. Just last night I got the room off of the main listening room up and going. It doesn't sound too bad at all with the Teresonics. I'm working on getting a better sound stage (kinda tough because these speaks like to be corner loaded) but the frequency response is pretty good. I may play a bit more with the tubes too.

In that same room I set up my mono system. Its a Stromberg Carlson AR425 integrated amp (6L6 PP), my HH Scott 330 mono tuner, a Dual 1229 turntable for 78's, a old ADC CD player (just cuz), and my Altec Iconic 824A speaker. Its got loads of zip cord and cheap plastic patch cords too boot.  :green:

As for review gear, well the only thing(s) that will be here are the Response Audio Music Bella speakers that Bill was kind enough to loan us and the Teresonics (I have to ship them back after the bash). Since I've been remodeling the basement (paint and redoing the bedroom mainly), I've taken a breather from writing for month or two so I had time to get this done.

Blackmore is bring over his Opera Droplet CD player and marble stand. This should make for a major drewel session for everyone because it is the sister of my LP5 turntable.

There should be plenty to listen to. As usual the crowd should be fairly large which will make hard core critical listening and a/b'ing kinda tough. I've no doubt that we'll have some chances to hear a few different SB power supplies and mods, that and comparisons to the DACs and CD players on hand. The Christmas bash has sort of turned out to be more of a social gathering to spread the Christmas cheer which works just fine in my book. :thumb:

I think I made mention before, if somebody could bring an additional Squeezebox (or two) that would be great. One of Wayne or Vinnie's analog modified ones would be even better. I've got two now, a stock one and a Bolder modded SB. We could use a modified SB in both of the other systems if somebody wants to bring one.

Oh that and I'll have a couple of bottles of single malts on hand but if you (that will be drinking it) what to stop and grab another, it wouldn't hurt my feelings any  :green:

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 23 Nov 2006, 02:15 pm »
I'll bring a stock SB and Wayne's PS.  Alan is planning on bringing a Bolder SB (digital mods only) and the Elpac PS (Wayne Mods).

If all goes well, I'll have the VH oil caps in the output of my Korato for any comparison between Scott's with the VH oils and Teflons vs just the oils with the stock Mundorf's for couplers.  If no time for that, no big deal.

Is Willie bringing anything over?

Bryan

DeadFish

« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2006, 04:57 pm »
I've got the most recent (as of a month ago) Bolder modded SB3 and RW modded SB2 to bring along.  We should have many great flavors to taste from.  Also, Bolder nitro interconnects with Bybees, as I didn't get Bybees in the SB3.
Looking forward to this guys, no matter when I get there.

Hubba hubba!

:thumb:

Regards,
DeadFish

jcrane

« Reply #33 on: 24 Nov 2006, 05:22 am »
Sounds great Scott, need anyone to bring some food or anything else (got the note on the single malt;) )

I need to double up my life insurance, Deadfish now has TWO SBs! Something strange is going on with the world!

I told my girlfriend she was more than welcome to come, she rolled her eyes and said she is going bowling.
At least I asked (though I knew the answer before I ask)

Jamie

DeadFish

« Reply #34 on: 24 Nov 2006, 05:20 pm »

I need to double up my life insurance, Deadfish now has TWO SBs! Something strange is going on with the world!
Jamie

Yes, Jamie, The End is near!  Time to play with ALL the toys before we get there!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta go with a smile!!! :thumb:

I still shuffle the SB's around the house, but am still in 24hr/day 'burn-in' mode on the most recent Bolder modded one.
It's jammin' on the desk next to me, wired into Sonic Impact amp and Insignia $40 speakers, making MUCH better music than $80 should allow. 
Man, if something came up where I had to give up all the other stuff, I could even live with this! (and have something to grow on cogitating the 'next' upgrade!)

Yah, if it is time for 'The End', it will be better with a soundtrack than life insurance I'll never collect from!  :icon_lol:

Life is good.

Best Regards,
Bill

jcrane

« Reply #35 on: 24 Nov 2006, 10:25 pm »
Right you are my friend...
LIFE IS GOOD aa

Jamie

Scott F.

« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2006, 06:58 pm »
Hiya Guys,

Update time.

The rooms are coming together pretty darned well. I've still got some painting and other finish work to do but it looks as if it will all come together in time. The new vinyl shelving is nearly full (4 shelves high and 18' long). When I picked up the shelving at the Ikea store up in Chicago, we ran across some furniture and lighting that worked perfectly in the newly remodeled listening rooms. Wait till you see the pleasure pit, it's going to be way too cool.

Gear Updates. The Response Audio Music Bella's showed up yesterday and I got them hooked up this morning. They seem like they are going to work well in the Redrum. I still need to play with placement but they sound pretty darned nice. I think you'll like them.

Also in the Redrum I've relocated my mono system. It consists of a Stromberg Carlson AR425 mono integrated, a HH Scott 330 mono tuner, a Dual 1229 with a Shure V-15 mono cart for 78's, a Vector Research CD player and an Altec 614 Iconic speaker. It sounds pretty darned good.

the rest of the Aperion HT setup (center channel and surrounds) should be showing up early next week. Needless to say they won't be broken in by party time so don't judge too harshly.  :wink:

If anybody wants to bring some headphones, I'll have a headphone set up on the library end of the main listening room. It will likely consist of an Arcam 8se and my Graham Slee Solo headphone amp. I've got a pair of Grado SR-60's and 80's.

Food. My lovely wife has graciously offered to cook for all of us as you know. It looks as if we'll have burgers, brats, sasizza, salzissa, sasitsa, Italian Sausage, peal and eat shrimps, taters of some sort, a veggie (and likely fruit) tray and chips and dip. I'll have a few different flavors of sodas, some decent scotchs, some decent whiskeys, vodkas, tequila, a little bit of rum and a couple of flavors of wine. If you have a particular hankering for something special, you may want to bring it along (ie; beer). If anyone wants to bring some desert, that would be marvy.

Parking. This is going to be an issue. As you guys know, even though I can handle about 6 or 8 cars in the driveway with double parking, with the onset of this much rain and snow, the yard is going to be a swamp. I'll talk to my neighbor across the street and get him to move his boat so you guys can park on the abandoned road that goes up the hill from my house. Even though it looks grassy, it's solid underneath. I'd suggest turning around in his driveway and backing up the hill to your parking space since there is nowhere to turn around up there. I'll post some pics and a map of the parking area so it makes more sense.

Over the weekend I'll get directions and phone numbers out to everybody.

...more to follow in a few days as we get closer to the event.

Oh, one more thing. do me a favor and check back in this thread to see if you posted that you will be attending. If you haven't or if you are bringing someone with that you didn't mention, please make a post to I can get a revised head count for cooking.

See you guys in about a week :green:

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2006, 10:28 pm »
Hey Scott -

Thinking about your high end turntable setup - I only have two mobile fidelity lps, and they go back quite a ways, but I have DSOTM and Crime of the Century.  If we could run 'em thru your cleaner I think they'd sound pretty smooth, if anyone's into that sort of music . . .  of course, I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't dig Dark Side just a little.

Kirch

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #38 on: 30 Nov 2006, 10:40 pm »
.......that you will be attending. ........ are bringing someone .

Myself and two other fella's

Thank you Scott, and big thanks to your wife/culinary artist also!)

Bob

sturgus

« Reply #39 on: 30 Nov 2006, 10:59 pm »
Scott I got the day off so I will be there early. Herb said he would try and make it if he can. I am trying to get John to come but he still doesn't know yet. I will bring some desert and a few beers and maybe some other stuff. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Sturgus