Progressive Rock - I like it

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Progressive Rock - I like it
« on: 20 Sep 2006, 02:58 am »
Here is a very interesting article about progressive rock and Close To The Edge which I found while listening to the album.

http://www.yesworld.com/ctte_covach/Close_to_the_Edge.html

There are many albums that I do not own, but I do have several of the Yes albums. Also Genesis, ELP, Moody Blues, but need to get some of the others.

Gordy

Re: Progressive Rock - I like it
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2006, 09:49 am »
Check out Premiata Forneria Marconi, PFM, not well know in the states but pretty big in Europe during the 70's...

http://www.amazon.com/PFM-%28Premiata-Forneria-Marconi%29/artist/B000AQ6ULM/ref=pd_ap_sr/104-6970517-8832744

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2006, 11:27 am »
Trilogy is one ELP album that I do have.   8)

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2006, 12:05 pm »
I have shelves filled with ProgRock. I enjoy Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Camel, Emerson Lake and Palmer (Lake was lead singer on early King Crimson albums), Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Klaatu and even Kansas could be considered ProgRock. Jon Anderson from Yes has lots of solo albums, the best is Olias of Sunhillow. King Crimson's best are In The Court Of The Crimson King and Lizard (Jon Anderson from Yes sings on side one of Lizard). Another great album is by Genesis called The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
My favorite Moody Blues album is A Question of Balance and the best from Kansas is LeftOverture. Klaatu was at one time to be considered the Beatles as  no album had any information of them and they certainly sounded like progressive rock "Beatles", later to be disclosed as a simple band from Canada. Half of Yes and Half of Led Zeppelin were going to form a band, and I think an album was recorded, but never released.

W

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2006, 12:06 pm »
Alan Parsons Project

Some good modern prog:
Porcupine Tree  (probably my favorite prog band)
Dream Theater  (this is prog metal.  the musicians are very talented and do a lot of side projects as well).

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2006, 12:57 pm »
Gentle Giant

Joules

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2006, 01:32 pm »
Triumvirat  - Spartacus
                  Illusions on a double dimple
                   :thumb:

Bwanagreg

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2006, 01:45 pm »
A topic dear to my heart. If you want to go deep in prog, listen to auralmoon.com. I've discovered a lot of cool and unknown (to me) stuff from this web radio station.  progressiveears.com is a good forum to get more ideas.

I'll second Porcupine Tree - probably the best of the neo-progs IMHO. My all time favorinte prog band remains King Crimson, but it is really many different bands with unique styles depending on the players involved.

R_burke

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:16 pm »
Other relatively new prog rock groups that I like are:

Flower Kings
Ozric Tentacles
Planet X

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:16 pm »
Triumvirat  - Spartacus
                  Illusions on a double dimple
                   :thumb:

Great band but they sure were a ELP clone  :lol:

Curt Cress on drums from Passport  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:19 pm »
Check out Premiata Forneria Marconi, PFM, not well know in the states but pretty big in Europe during the 70's...

http://www.amazon.com/PFM-%28Premiata-Forneria-Marconi%29/artist/B000AQ6ULM/ref=pd_ap_sr/104-6970517-8832744

Photos of Ghosts and Chocolate Kings are great albums. If you like Italian prog try Maxophone.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:22 pm »
Gentle Giant

There are some interesting concert clips on YouTube. GG is a really interesting band, very complex music but their last few albums were pretty bland.

BobRex

« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:37 pm »
Take a look at this page http://www.vintageprog.com/progrock.htm.  It covers most of the prog bands through the '70s.

Also - a little side about Dream Theater.  A couple of years ago DT and YES did a tour together.  They stopped at our local fair, so I took my then 11 year old nephew to the concert.  (A friend of his is a BIG DT fan and talked about the band non-stop).  After DT opened, and YES was setting up, my nephew asked me: "So, which is the better band?"  I told him to sit tight and decide for himself.
Two songs into the YES set, I asked him if he had a decision.  He looked at me and said: "These guys."  Kinda made me proud.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2006, 04:05 pm »
Two pages of Progressive Rock talk and nobody has mentioned RUSH? 

They are probably my favorite in this genre.

Check out the following cd's or lp's to get a good feel for Rush:

A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Moving Pictures

Here is a link to allmusic.com for addtional info on RUSH:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47E1ED247A47220C3973056CEB153E104DF51EE9D50234558C0AF284A8C1F27FD05BADBCDAEF875B47FE3FE2CAE5A09D9C9E9469CA1&sql=11:myex97q7krjt~T1

George

Brad

« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:14 pm »
Any favorite albums by Porcupine Tree?

Gordy

« Reply #16 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:39 pm »

Signify and In Absentia are my two favs, Sunday of Life is my least favorite.  Just one opinion!!!

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #17 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:43 pm »

Deadwing too.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:44 pm »
In Absentia is the Porcupine Tree CD to start with I think. A bit harder rock than their earlier stuff if that is to your liking, but I think this ranks with the very best albums by anyone. It also has outstanding sound quality.

The earlier PC is more atmospheric and psychedelic. I recently picked up the remastered Stupid Dream and it is very nice, but quite different from In Absentia. It includes a 5.1 mix on a separate DVD that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. I'd say try both of these and you'll get a great idea what this band is all about. They haven't really put out a bad album, although I personally don't care much for their last release Deadwing.

Enjoy.

BobM

« Reply #19 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:49 pm »
Porcupine Tree has a heavy following at progressiveears.com. from one recent thread, the faves kind of laid out as follows:

(1) Most everyone likes the recent one (Deadwing) very much. Somewhat heavier than the others.
(2) In Absentia was the old time favorite before this. Also a bit heavier than the others.
(3) The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify ranked next, I believe
(4) Then came a mix of Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Up the Downstairs

There was also a recent Flower Kings favorite thread. Many, many of their albums are doubles (epics in true prog fashion, I love it), so there's lots and lots of music.

(1) Unfold the Future and Stardust We Are generally came in tops
(2) Flower Power was also highly liked
(3) The others were generally mixed, depending on when someone got into the band - recent discoveries likes the recent stuff and older fans liked the older stuff.

Some other bands still putting out music, if you like these:

Spocks Beard
Echolyn (especially As The World)
King Crimson (recently The Power To Believe gave them a big comeback)
Happy The Man released something not long ago (after many years they have reformed)
Camel also had a recent release (again, after many years)
IQ (Subterranea)

Then there's the old standby's like Yes, Genesis, ELP, Focus, King Crimson, Bruford, Jean Luc Ponty, Passport, David Sancious, UK, ... the list goes on and on.

Enjoy,
Bob