Brad

Re: Progressive Rock - I like it
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:58 pm »
Thanks for the tips on Porcupine Tree.
I'll be trying the new one and In Absentia

Bwanagreg

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2006, 07:09 pm »
Bill Bruford's solo albums, and his work with UK are worth singling out. This was the period when he was working with Alan Holdsworth, and Dave Stewart (not the guy from Eurithmics BTW  :o) is on the solo stuff. I'd suggest Bruford's One of a Kind and UK (self-titled) as mandatory for any prog collection. It doesn't get any better than this! Of course, Bruford-era King Crimson from the 70's (Larks Tongues in Aspic and Red especially) are on my desert island, too.

I've heard Tool classified as "Prog Metal". When I'm working out and need to get the heart rate up I tend to crank either Lateralus or 10000 Days. King Crimson toured with Tool a few years ago and I know they were influenced by KC - you can hear it in their use of odd time signatures and Gamelon patterns, not to mention the sense of demonic possesion (in a good way  :icon_twisted: ) in the music.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2006, 07:17 pm »
Saw Bruford back in the early 80's. But Holdsworth had just left the band. He was replaced with "The Unknown John Clark". Great music from Bruford & UK!!

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2006, 08:25 pm »
Andy Latimer, lead guitarist and vocalist for Camel was recently asked by Rodger Waters of Pink Floyd fame it he would be interested in playing lead guitar for a new Pink tour. As reported by a Camel newsletter, there would be no problem playing the guitar role, but the lead vocals from David Gilmour happen to be about 1/2 octave higher than Andy could hit, so he declined to join the band.

Camel is reporting that they are working on a new album, but you can enjoy their latest, A Nod and A Wink. You will have to purchase the CD from their website though. Try www.camelproductions.com for many of their releases, (they are moving their website so you will have to check later). These are also audiophile grade recordings!

W

tdangelo

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2006, 08:39 pm »
some others I have and like:

Boards of Canada
Captain Beyond
Hawkwind
The Omega Syndicate
Pyramid Peak
The Flower Kings

doorman

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2006, 09:47 pm »
I'm a big prog rock/jazz fusion fan, and agree with  most of the above recommendations.
 Having recently picked up "Personae", by Jonas Hellborg/Shawn Lane/ and Mr. Sipe, however, I can say for myself, at least, that if you love this type of music, you should give the above a listen ASAP!
 This is musicianship of an extraordinary caliber. To say it's impressive is a gross understatement.
 This is just one offering from the above trio, the others I've heard are stunning as well.
                                                                      Don

R_burke

« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2006, 10:59 pm »
 :duh:

How could I forget  Les Claypool's recent stuff, I especially like his Frog Brigade stuff, one of which is a complete redo of Pink Floyd's Animals

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:05 am »
Re : Porcupine Tree

There are several "phases" in the band's catalog. Early stuff was DIY by Steven Wilson ("On The Sunday of Life", "Up The Downstair", "Voyage 34") which is Pink Floyd-ish /techno / psychedelic/ spacey. Sampled drums with Wilson providing the voices and almost all of the other instrumentation. "Up The Downstair" is my favorite and has since had the sampled drums replaced by current drummer Gavin Harrison. Several great tracks on this one ("Synesthesia", "Always Never". "Up The Downstair", "Burning Sky", "Fadeaway").

"Sky Moves Sideways" and "Signify" are more proggish. Added drummer Chris Maitland with ex-Japan keyboardist Richard Barberi and bassist Colin Edward becoming fulltime members after contributing to "Up The Downstair"). "Sky Moves Sideways" has a long prog piece (title track) that is cut into two halves on the main disc but is a full 33 minutes on the bonus disk. This is as full blown prog as PT has ever gotten. The prog label seemed to disturb Wilson and the sound changed with "Signify", with shorter songs and an edgier sound. If you want great, old school prog go with "Sky Moves Sideways".

"Stupid Dream" and "Lightbulb Sun" follow in the "Signify" vein but become at times more pop and more aggressive sounding. Both are excellent but the latter is awaiting re-release due do many label changes by Wilson. "Stupid Dream" has some stunning music and only two weaker tracks on it. Varies from spacey to pretty to brutal to melancholy to roaring. "Lighbulb Sun" continues in this vein but has a few more weak spots then "Dream".

Band sound changed a bit after Gavin Harrison replaced Chris Maitland on the drum kit. Harrison is a more powerful drummer and but lacks Maitland's finesse. Wilson goes a bit more into prog metal turf but still has pop elements in his songwriting on "In Absentia" and "Deadwing". The former is much stronger IMO. Both have nice surround mixes available and the DVD of "Deadwing" sounds less compressed than the CD. Wilson released two of the best songs from the "Deadwing" time only on an EP ("So-Called Friend and "Half-light") with the single version of "Lazarus".

Wilson has a great knack for "hooks" in his songs and is a very melodic soloist (very much like David Gilmore and Andy Lattimer). The bands sound has changed quite a bit  down through the years. They have a live DVD coming out next month. Check their website for a lot of info. I've seen them 5 times and have tix to see them next month.

Other current prog bands that I like: Shadow Gallery (excellently produced prog metal), A Triggering Myth (dual keyboards), Opeth (if you can get past the "death growl" vocals), Dream Theater.

Marillion has a long varied career that has featured two lead vocalists (Fish, Steve Hogarth) and two distinct sounds (Genesis-ish with Fish and more prog pop with Hogarth). Fine, obscure band that has a great website.

The old school prog (Yes, Genesis with Gabriel, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Camel, etc) still sounds great.

Jazz-rock fusion appeals to a lot of proggers (Dixie Dregs, Brand X, Return To Forever, etc).

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #28 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:45 am »
Utopia - Ra?

Dmason

« Reply #29 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:51 am »
Gryphon.

Hybrid, tasteful, true fusion of forms, musicianship off the chart. First time I had ever been acquainted with them, was at a  Yes concert!! Those were the days...

Red Queen To Gryphon Three  <-----

Jason1

« Reply #30 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:43 am »
Opeth's "Damnation" has none of the death growling heard on all of their other albums. Mikael Akerfeldt lets his melodious voice take over. Hauntingly beautiful is how I would describe the album. The recording quality is outstanding, check it out.

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:49 am »
Thanks for the tips on Porcupine Tree.
I'll be trying the new one and In Absentia

I think In Absentia is their newest one.  Stupid Dream just got re-released but its a few albums back.  Stupid Dream and In Absentia are my two favorites.  SD is some of their softer stuff (more like pop prog rock) and In Absentia is their more hard rocking album.  They represent different aspects of the band's talent.  The Sky Moves Sideways, Lightbulb something, and a few of their other albums in that time frame are more out there psychedelic wise. 

doh...forgot about Deadwing, that is their latest...that is a rocking album too.

Gordy

« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:53 am »
Thanks all!  I've seen two that I really need to check out, Hellborg's 'Personae' and The Flower Kings.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning Renaissance, so thought I had better since I saw them in concert 4-5 times way way back when.   My favorites in no particular order...

Scheherazade*
Turn Of The Card
Novella
Unplugged at The Academy...  because I was there  8)

*How cool, 1001 posts and I'm writing about 1001 nights  :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2006, 03:10 am »
Any Dixie Dregs fans here?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2006, 03:28 am »

Yes  8)

" What If " is my favorite. Wish I hadn't missed seeing them live in the late 70's.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2006, 03:31 am »
Thanks all!  I've seen two that I really need to check out, Hellborg's 'Personae' and The Flower Kings.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning Renaissance, so thought I had better since I saw them in concert 4-5 times way way back when.   My favorites in no particular order...

Scheherazade*
Turn Of The Card
Novella
Unplugged at The Academy...  because I was there  8)

*How cool, 1001 posts and I'm writing about 1001 nights  :lol:

Annie Haslam was a sight to see  :D

I saw them open for Al DiMeola in San Diego at an auditorium there. Strange pairing but then again I have eclectic tastes in music.  :lol:

Jim N.

« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2006, 03:49 am »

Yup, saw them 5 times in the late 70's at various small venues around San Diego. Smokin' shows. Finally got the Japanese CD with the LP covers of "Dregs of The Earth", "Unsung Heroes" and "Industry Standard" and I'm Freaking Out  8).

Forgot one other very obscure band in my earlier post: Crack The Sky. The "Live Sky" album (sans main man John Palumbo) was a great live recording.

Maybe I Can Fool Everybody (Tonight).......

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2006, 04:01 am »
Re : Porcupine Tree

There are several "phases" in the band's catalog. Early stuff was DIY by Steven Wilson ("On The Sunday of Life", "Up The Downstair", "Voyage 34") which is Pink Floyd-ish /techno / psychedelic/ spacey. Sampled drums with Wilson providing the voices and almost all of the other instrumentation. "Up The Downstair" is my favorite and has since had the sampled drums replaced by current drummer Gavin Harrison. Several great tracks on this one ("Synesthesia", "Always Never". "Up The Downstair", "Burning Sky", "Fadeaway").

"Sky Moves Sideways" and "Signify" are more proggish. Added drummer Chris Maitland with ex-Japan keyboardist Richard Barberi and bassist Colin Edward becoming fulltime members after contributing to "Up The Downstair"). "Sky Moves Sideways" has a long prog piece (title track) that is cut into two halves on the main disc but is a full 33 minutes on the bonus disk. This is as full blown prog as PT has ever gotten. The prog label seemed to disturb Wilson and the sound changed with "Signify", with shorter songs and an edgier sound. If you want great, old school prog go with "Sky Moves Sideways".

"Stupid Dream" and "Lightbulb Sun" follow in the "Signify" vein but become at times more pop and more aggressive sounding. Both are excellent but the latter is awaiting re-release due do many label changes by Wilson. "Stupid Dream" has some stunning music and only two weaker tracks on it. Varies from spacey to pretty to brutal to melancholy to roaring. "Lighbulb Sun" continues in this vein but has a few more weak spots then "Dream".

Band sound changed a bit after Gavin Harrison replaced Chris Maitland on the drum kit. Harrison is a more powerful drummer and but lacks Maitland's finesse. Wilson goes a bit more into prog metal turf but still has pop elements in his songwriting on "In Absentia" and "Deadwing". The former is much stronger IMO. Both have nice surround mixes available and the DVD of "Deadwing" sounds less compressed than the CD. Wilson released two of the best songs from the "Deadwing" time only on an EP ("So-Called Friend and "Half-light") with the single version of "Lazarus".

Wilson has a great knack for "hooks" in his songs and is a very melodic soloist (very much like David Gilmore and Andy Lattimer). The bands sound has changed quite a bit  down through the years. They have a live DVD coming out next month. Check their website for a lot of info. I've seen them 5 times and have tix to see them next month.

Other current prog bands that I like: Shadow Gallery (excellently produced prog metal), A Triggering Myth (dual keyboards), Opeth (if you can get past the "death growl" vocals), Dream Theater.

Marillion has a long varied career that has featured two lead vocalists (Fish, Steve Hogarth) and two distinct sounds (Genesis-ish with Fish and more prog pop with Hogarth). Fine, obscure band that has a great website.

The old school prog (Yes, Genesis with Gabriel, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Camel, etc) still sounds great.

Jazz-rock fusion appeals to a lot of proggers (Dixie Dregs, Brand X, Return To Forever, etc).

Looks like you have a picture of Chick Corea?  8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2006, 04:39 am »
Some good links for Progressive Rock....Top 500.......Info link......and...Timeline..... :thumb:

Some early fav's of mine...The Nice, Atomic Rooster, Soft Machine, and Colosseum (sort of jazz rock progressive).
Bands like Tull, Deep Purple, Procol Haram, Moody Blues....I considered them just "Rock" bands....guess others think different.... :?

Jim N.

« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2006, 05:53 am »

Looks like you have a picture of Chick Corea?  8)

Yup, that's Armando himself! Good call! I've been listening to "Ultimate Adventure" several times a week since it's release.