Progressive Rock - I like it

BobM

Re: Progressive Rock - I like it
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:51 pm »

Forgot one other very obscure band in my earlier post: Crack The Sky. The "Live Sky" album (sans main man John Palumbo) was a great live recording.
[/quote]

Abs-o-freakin-lutely!!! :thumb:

Same with Renaissance. My daughter says Annie Haslam is god. However, I've found that you either love or hate them - there's no in between. I would recommend getting the "best of" compilation called "Tales of 1001 Nights - vol 1", then vol 2.

As for Dixie Dregs, they were certainly great in their time, when I was into shredding jazz-rock. However, it does sound a bit dated these days. Same for many others of the 70's era - like Kansas, or Styx, or Return to Forever (although "Romantic Warrior" is a definite jazz-prog classic).

Enjoy,
Bob

mfsoa

« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:48 pm »
Wow, kindred spirits here-

Those Bruford solo albums are excellent and often overlooked.

I had the pleasure of seeing the Dregs a few times in thier prime. Yeah, as good as you could imagine.

Romantic Warrior still one of my deserted island disks.

And some GG fans too! Saw them in Philly moons ago.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2006, 03:59 am »
I saw Renaissance opening for Gentle Giant here at the Shrine in LA. Sans orchestra they sounded a bit thin but Annie was in fine voice.

Saw RTF a few times. Best was at some small club in San Diego before they released "Romantic Warrior". They came out for a second encore when there were fewer than  a dozen people left in the club. Weakest was the "Romantic Warrior" tour at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion here in LA. For an encore they had Stevie Wonder present them wth a Downbeat Award and then played "Superstition". Al was reading the chart while playing it.

Ooops, this thread has been hi-jacked!

I kind of lump prog and fusion together. Great musicianship is the common thread. Some of Chick's solo records (Leprechaun, Mad Hatter, Secret Agent) find favor with prog fans.

Another obscure (but favorite) prog band is SFF (Shicke, Fuhrs, Frohling). If you can find the compilation disc that Laser's Edge put out a few years back you should grab it. Good Kraut instrumental prog. It has their complete first three albums (Symphonic Pictures, Sunburst, Ticket To Everywhere) plus some live tracks on a 2 disk set. "Sunburst" has a picture of Heinz Frohling with his half a Rickenbacker bass and half a Gibson Les Paul  put together so he could switch between the two.

LightFire

« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2006, 01:38 am »
Progressive Rock - I love it!!

Here are the 10 prog bands I like the most. And in order:

1) Yes
2) Emerson, Lake and Palmer
3) Renaissance
4) Gentle Giant
5) Marillion
6) Jethro Tull
7) Rush
8) Pink Floyd
9) Harmonium
10) Kansas

And here is a link to a nice site of album reviews:

http://www.progressiverock.com/

doorman

« Reply #44 on: 23 Sep 2006, 02:50 am »
Anyone here a fan of Ozric Tentacles?
 I think I've got most all of their albums. Some very interesting material here, it'll give your system a workout too!
                                                                            Don

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #45 on: 23 Sep 2006, 03:12 am »
I can't believe someone actually mentioned Utopia - Ra.  That's an oddball that I love.  You just have to take it in small doses.

Bryan

Bwanagreg

« Reply #46 on: 23 Sep 2006, 04:08 pm »
Hey check this out.

http://www.mofi.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=96

I just listened to the current MFSL releas of Zappa We're Only In It For The Money last night (is this progressive?) and was completely blown away by what a great job of rematering they did on this old recording. I always though the Yes catalogue deserved better treatment, although the reissues last year were a big improvement. I can't wait to hear the MFSL release.

TIC

« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2006, 04:52 pm »
Allan Holdsworth-Metal Fatigue-Great record! Anyone heard it?

Crack the Sky-Great band!

Budgie-Great 70's British Band- I especially like Bandolier and Squawk

Enjoy,

TIC

Bwanagreg

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2006, 05:04 pm »
Metal Fatigue is by far his best solo album IMHO. I can play his solo in Devil Takes The Hindmost note for note - on air guitar of course.  :guitar:

mfsoa

« Reply #49 on: 23 Sep 2006, 05:49 pm »
Any Brand X fans?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 23 Sep 2006, 06:00 pm »
Well, since this is going in all different directions, I'll mention on of my favorite bands - The Tubes.

Bryan

slinco

« Reply #51 on: 27 Sep 2006, 11:11 pm »
Hi folks -
My first post here. I had to way in on the prog rock stuff that I was weened on. So far no one has mentioned Van der Graaf Generator. Their no guitar line-up made them unique, and Peter Hammill's extrodinary voice makes them worth checking out.
And I'll second the enthusiasm for Porcupine Tree. I caught them in a small club last year having never heard any of their CD's before, and they knocked my socks off.....

Wayner

« Reply #52 on: 27 Sep 2006, 11:27 pm »
I think that progressive rock actually describes a time that a style developed as apposed to some of the newer bands that many of you have listed. Atlantic records actually brought into their label, bands in the very late 60's, early 70's that didn't fit a description. Bands like Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer...groups like this...because their music didn't fit a category. Their music was "progressive". Most of the new bands listed in this blog, like Porcupine tree are copy cats.

W

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #53 on: 28 Sep 2006, 01:07 am »
I can't believe someone actually mentioned Utopia - Ra.  That's an oddball that I love.  You just have to take it in small doses.

Bryan

"This is an electrified fairy tale". It's like an audio cartoon, but I love the composition.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #54 on: 28 Sep 2006, 02:00 am »
Any Brand X fans?

Unorthodox Behavior is a classic. Phil Collins can really play when he wants to  :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 28 Sep 2006, 04:06 am »
jgp

Exactly.  It's actually not a bad demo album either.

Bryan

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 28 Sep 2006, 05:06 am »
Allan Holdsworth-Metal Fatigue-Great record! Anyone heard it?

Crack the Sky-Great band!

Budgie-Great 70's British Band- I especially like Bandolier and Squawk

Enjoy,

TIC

If you like Holdsworth you should pick up Tony Williams Lifetime "Believe It". It's a fusion classic.

BobM

« Reply #57 on: 28 Sep 2006, 12:24 pm »
A couple more somewhat obscure one's (but maybe not):

Gong - lots of different variations of this band, but I especially like Mourlin's Gong album "Expresso" with Holdsworth

David Sancious - his solo albums are true classics (he's the keyboardist on Springsteen's "Rosalita")

Enjoy,
Bob

rockadanny

« Reply #58 on: 12 Oct 2006, 10:44 pm »
One of my favs is Brian Auger (and his Oblivion Express).

Canyoneagle

« Reply #59 on: 18 Oct 2006, 04:03 am »
A friend of mine in Las Vegas - John Miner - runs "Tributary Music" from his home studio.  John's an amazing guitarist and long time prog rocker, and has a few new releases that he's put out (a rock opera and an album), as well as a "virtual" collaboration with Allan Holdsworth (I believe the band was called K2, and the album is "book of the dead" - definitely worth finding.  here's a possible start: http://www.progrockrecords.com/) but VERY early Genesis (the lead singer sounds strikingly like a young Peter Gabriel).
The Tributary site is: http://www.tributarymusic.com/  lots of sound files.....
Last I saw of John, he was ditching all of his previous material to move towards a more "Robert Fripp" style of guitar playing.

Cheers,
Michael