LIFEFORCE - STATEOF PLAY

AKSA

LIFEFORCE - STATEOF PLAY
« on: 3 Aug 2006, 08:12 am »
Hi Foks,

Those awaiting orders, and those about to, should know state of play!

I have established a production facility - myself, and one other, a 4th year EE undergrad named Sam Mitchell, whose work is absolutely top flight.

The first ten have rolled off the line and are ready for delivery.  Henceforth they will be made in tens, and next week, another ten, and so on.

I'm also doing the 100W LF.  It's coming along well too, a little slower, but on its way now.

The power supply, likewise.  I have quite a few modules now done, presently being potted.

I apologise to all for my tardiness.  I am in a difficult position with family sickness and a dying old friend, and a Swift order, but making good progress finally.

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
Re: LIFEFORCE - STATEOF PLAY
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2006, 09:10 am »
Hugh,

Sorry about your friend but it must be lovely for him that you care.  Otherwise you have provided good news.  After all, good things come to those who wait.... :)

Geoff-AU

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2006, 07:55 am »
Yes, regards to your friend and family.  You have to look after people who are close to you.

At least from my perspective the LF has been moving along steadily.  That might be skewed if I was chomping at the bit waiting for one (buying a new car put a hold to financial outlay in other areas!  :lol: ) but anyone who's built an AKSA knows you're not a man to go back on his promises  :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2006, 08:33 am »
My old friend is a Czech aged 79.  His Father was Slovenian, his Mother Austrian - their common language was their second, English.  So, in the heart of Prague before the war, Conrad was brought up by these two professionals with English as his first language.  Of course he also speaks Czech, Russian, and German - indeed, he was interned in a concentration camp for a couple of years so his German is pretty good.

He's led an interesting but impoverished life.  While wandering around shooting rabbits one weekend near Wittenoom in the early 50s - he worked for the Blue Asbestos Company - he was very badly burned by fallout from atmospheric tests in the nearby Monte Bello Islands.  He was very sick, but recovered.  I have no proof, because ageing mimics many of his complaints, but I suspect his present situation was largely precipitated by this experience.  In any event, his kidneys have made a marvellous recovery, but his liver function is poor.  He may recover, it is hard to tell.  He is a man much given to deep conversation and world politics, and I have visited him every couple of weeks for a two years to chat about things.  He has no family, it's a situation I would not wish on anyone......

Geoff, the business of trust and making promises is incredibly important.  I have in fact dropped a couple of projects, which pains me, but the reasons are purely economic - costs of development, or inventory, or marketing.  These days I'm trying to stick to my core business, which is amps - but in the end, people are buying trust and confidence, and that comes not from an amp, but a person.  I'm not the cheapest around, but I try to give good service and be fair in every transaction.

Cheers,

Hugh 

soitstarts

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2006, 10:20 am »
a 4th year EE undergrad named Sam Mitchell, whose work is absolutely top flight.

If its anything like his work in the Hawthorn centreline, the boards will be great.. :lol: :dunno: aa

All the best to your friend, Hugh.. Sounds like he has seen more hardship than anyone should..

mhr

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2006, 12:48 am »
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the update.

Let the Orion Speaker Folks know when we can order the power supply.

All the best otherwise.

Take care,

mhr
PS - no hurry here as the actual speaker building process takes time.

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2006, 07:20 am »
Hi Mark,

No problem, will let you know.  Progress solid on the new supply, in fact.

I've just completed the the second production batch of four pairs of Lifeforce 55W modules, all tested and lacquered ready for despatch!!

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2006, 12:52 pm by AKSA »

mhr

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2006, 02:04 am »
Very Nice, Very Nice!

Geoff-AU

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2006, 08:25 am »
They look just like AKSA's!  Don't tell me the revolutionary part is putting green and black heatshrink on the bias transistor tails.. I'll slap you, I used blue and red heatshrink on my AKSA55  :P

looking good Hugh!  A pair of LF modules will definitely be part of my next upgrade cycle  :green:

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2006, 08:51 am »
Hi Geoff,

Ah, yes, father and son!  The Lifeforce has the same output stage and a similar voltage amplifier;  the input stage and supply are radically different, however.  It was modelled on the AKSA pcb so that you could simply remove and replace, conferring convenience to the upgrade!

I have discovered that spatial information in recorded music is traditionally fudged by the conventional SS amplifier topologies.  More accuracy is required at the crossover point, where one half of the output stage hands over the baton to the other.  Global negative feedback does not work well around the crossover disjunction (as it's appropriately named!) and the LF addresses this issue by giving massive drive to the voltage amplifier.  There are other refinements which address the poor transfer linearity of the input stage and voltage amplifier, and these enhance distortion and bandwidth performance.

I have six 100W LF modules about to come onstream too, I'm quite pleased, and today I made good progress on a Swift I'm doing for a music lover in Singapore.

Thanks for the compliment, Geoff!  If only I could organise my time better, and be more productive.   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

dayneger

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2006, 10:03 am »
Hi Hugh,

Sounds like you've got some exciting stuff going on!

I apologize for not having read every single link, but so far I haven't found a reference for a future upgrade program to LF for existing 100W AKSA owners (like the current 55W plan).  Any chance I could pry out a little commentary on this aspect?

Thanks!

:-) Dayne

AKSA

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2006, 11:12 pm »
Hi Dayne,

Thanks for your post - yes, there is a deal similar to the 55W.  Try this link:

Lifeforce Prices

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2006, 11:23 pm by AKSA »

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2006, 12:08 pm »
LIFEFORCE

Things are moving fast.  I'm working hard to meet orders;  some of you know there is now a queue.

I'm profusely sorry about this, but with my present desire to sell modules, I guess with my limited production this is inevitable.  But you should get a very consistent, reliable product this way, and of course it keeps me off the streets.....  :nono:

I will offer present AKSA customers the LF amps on their own;  no trade-in, but of course the price will be higher by the value of the trade-in, and for the stock and Nirvana upgrade, a further $120 for a power supply for the 55 and $160 for the 100W.  These are supplied fully built as well.

To those patiently waiting - I am sorry.  Nearly there, however, and worth the wait!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2006, 03:52 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Hope my "ticket number" is rising up in the queue.... :thumb:
It seems that a lot of your "followers" are hungry for LFs ...thats good ! It only shows how EXCELLENT your service and products are !!

Keep up the good work

Contact me when my "time" arrives.

Felipe

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2006, 11:40 am »
Folks,

Sam and I are catching up on the orders.  Another batch of 100LFs will be available Tuesday 5th, and a further batch of 55LFs on Thursday 7th.  From those dates forward we should be able to fill more orders.

I apologise for the delays people are experiencing.  I appreciate the forbearance people have;  it's not easy waiting for something with such anticipation.

On another note, let me talk about speakers.  The bass driver for the AKSonics, the MO-08-09, has been discontinued by Tymphany.  This is a pity, as it's a terrific driver, one David Ellis remarked he really liked too, and he knows a thing or two about speakers.  This has left a hole in my range, and I truly would like to offer a speaker kit to fully complement the Lifeforce amps.

As most know, I'm a speaker neanderthal, but I know what I like.  I'm impressed by bass reflex speakers, much impressed by passive radiators, and hugely impressed by transmission lines (TLs).  There have been some stunning TLs in the past;  the original Arthur Bailey design of the sixties, the seventies Kef model, and the more recent eighties and beyond PMCs, Vandersteens and IHFs.  All these speakers are standouts in the speaker world, as much for their tuneful, distinct bass and stunning imaging as for any other qualities.  However, while there is lots of information around on how to design the first two types, not much exists on the TLs, so their design is a mirky art.

A couple of years ago I sold an AKSonics kit to a guy named Laurie Menogue, and since that time he's contacted me periodically to say that he's modded the AKSonics and now they are very different and would I like a listen.  I was impressed by his lateral thinking and design skills, and so commissioned him to come up with a TL to my brief.  It had to be compact, two way, use available, quality drivers (one of which had to be the same as the AKSonics, the XT25G tweeter), but not too expensive, and uncritical, easy to make.

Last week I heard his new design.  We are calling them the Transonics, both because they are TLs, and also because they raise the bar far beyond the AKSonics.  I decided to make an afternoon of it - Laurie lives sixty miles from my home - and invited Russ along.  Russ is a fellow biker, also has a ZRX1200, and owns a GK1 and Lifeforce.  He's also 30, with REAL good ears, and knows a lot about speakers.  We took a ride down the Mornington Peninsula on a great day, almost spring weather.

On listening to the Transonics, we were both stunned.  The crossover was not yet complete - more refinement required - but the qualities of the sound with an old Lux amp (Laurie will soon have a 100LF) were astonishing.  Russ, who has heard the PMCs, felt they were every bit as good, and probably better in the imaging.  They use a Peerless HDS Nomex 8" driver with high force factor of 9.1, 0.41 Qts and ft of 32Hz.  My ears are not too bad, and I felt these speakers were just incredible, given the development to that point.

Laurie, who has been involved in design and manufacture of sails for yachts and fibreglass technologies for the aviation industry, informed me today he's made further progress.  He submitted the speakers for audition to a professional industrial designer who owns $US5K PMCs, and he felt the Transonics bested the PMCs in every area, particularly imaging/soundstage.  This is a revelation, and with the superior imaging and resolution of the LF amps, I feel this could be a marriage in heaven.

I'd like to thank Laurie sincerely for his work to date, and welcome the speakers to the Aspen product family.  I will release these speakers ultimately as a kit along the lines of the AKSonics in due time (no time line at this stage in light of other pending products, but hopefully not too long), offering them as a low cost kit alternative to the best TLs in the retail market.  I do not have any idea of cost at this stage, but you can be sure it will better anything else around for three or four times the cost.

The new speaker will be called the Transonic Model LM1, in recognition of Laurie's brilliant design skills.  I'll keep the forum and website updated as we progress towards a formal product release.

Cheers,

Hugh

« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2006, 12:34 pm by AKSA »

CButterworth

Transonics - STATEOF PLAY
« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2006, 02:28 pm »
Hugh,

What timing!  I am in hiatus while the Arizona summer begins to wind down.  With any luck, by the end of September 100F days (39C for you folk) should be history - Oh, I really hope so.  So that means that I can begin more DIY work as my workshop is outdoors.

I have put off buying the GR-Research AV3 kit, as it would only sit and stare at me during the summer heat.

Now I will have to rethink my next set of speakers, especially if the Transonics are within my price-range.  Of course, I will need to have them built before next summer's heat ramps up to fever pitch.

I am waiting with bated breath.......

Charlie
Apache Junction
Arizona

Brad

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2006, 04:03 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Are you going to make a 25wpc version of the LF?
With the LF and the new speakers, it sounds like you have some terrific new products to keep you busy.   8)

congratulations! :thumb:

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2006, 10:55 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Are you going to make a 25wpc version of the LF?
With the LF and the new speakers, it sounds like you have some terrific new products to keep you busy.   8)

congratulations! :thumb:

Yes I would like a 25w version :wink:

Nigel

rookster

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2006, 07:40 am »
Hugh,

As you know I am bogged down in building my 55N+ and GK-1, but my desire to upgrade my Aksonics has been discussed before and so the Transonics are of immense interest to me.  Always room for another project.

Keep us informed and I hope it does not die like the modified Aksonics design of Ron's that he did not want to sell.  How does the Transonics compare to the modified verion of the Aksonics you heard at Ron's?

I assume the speaker cabinets will be a new build.  In that case I will have 3 pairs of speakers in the music room.  Might have to sell a pair further down the track.

I look forward to following the progress of the Transonics.

AKSA

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2006, 09:23 am »
Hi Charlie,

I'm not too sure how long this project will take;  the documentation and organisation is now under way.  I'll keep you posted.....

Hi Nigel, Brad,

A 25W Lifeforce is not too difficult.  I will apprise you of progress on that one, too!

Hi Michael,

Keep us informed and I hope it does not die like the modified Aksonics design of Ron's that he did not want to sell.  How does the Transonics compare to the modified verion of the Aksonics you heard at Ron's?

I assume the speaker cabinets will be a new build.  In that case I will have 3 pairs of speakers in the music room.  Might have to sell a pair further down the track.

I look forward to following the progress of the Transonics.

Yes, you have it precisely.  He did not wish to sell the concept, and I was left high and dry!!

Indeed, the cabinets will be new.  This has been unavoidable, and somewhat larger too.

The Transonics were compared to modded AKSonics, which Laurie assured me were quite a bit better than the original kit.  In terms of openness, dynamics, scale, impact, bass clarity and sound stage, there was no comparison.  The top end was very similar;  all the other aspects seemed a lot better.  Yet, in a small room, the AKSonics are very good speakers, so I believe you can see this is a palpable improvement.  Generally, of course, the larger the driver the better the bass;  an 8" cone has 50% more radiating area than a 6.5" cone, we can't rewrite the laws of physics!

I'm very pleased, I really am.  The next issue is time to market, groan......

I'm reliably informed by Alan of Wellington NZ (thanks Alan!) that Transonics is a trade name for a DVD player.  I might have to use another name;  I might go for VSonics, a reference to the internal structure of these speakers.

Cheers,

Hugh