LIFEFORCE - STATEOF PLAY

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
Re: LIFEFORCE - STATEOF PLAY
« Reply #20 on: 3 Sep 2006, 09:29 am »
Hi Charlie,

I'm not too sure how long this project will take;  the documentation and organisation is now under way.  I'll keep you posted.....

Hi Nigel, Brad,

A 25W Lifeforce is not too difficult.  I will apprise you of progress on that one, too!

Hugh

Great news Hugh, Just as a side point, how many watts would the LF55 be in class A, and would a 25w spend more time in class A

Thanks Nigel

DSK

« Reply #21 on: 3 Sep 2006, 09:48 am »
Hugh,
It's not my area of speciality and I could therefore be completely wrong, but as long as you are using Transonics as a 'model name' rather than a 'brand name' isn't it OK? That is to say, isn't it OK to call them 'AKSA Transonics'? There are numerous instances of different brands having common model names.

JayMM

« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2006, 10:27 am »
Hi Hugh

Before you get further along this path I might just alert you to the fact that there is a large listed company on the ASX with the name Transonic. They are now merged with the S8 group. They operate in Tourism, but you may well run into trademark difficulties if they were pedantic. Basically it could be a problem waiting to happen.

kind regards

Jay

AKSA

Re: LIFEFORCE - STATE OF PLAY
« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2006, 10:53 am »
Hi Jay (or should I call you James??)

Thanks for the heads up - will look into it.

I'm sorry to hear you are selling your gear - what did you buy to replace it?

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #24 on: 3 Sep 2006, 11:06 am »
Hi Nigel,

Good question!!

The power produced by an amp into 8R is given by the voltage peak to peak figure squared, then divided by 64.

If you assume that the dead zone, 2.45V, is the only period when both upper and lower output devices are actively passing current, and then add a further 0.2 volt to both ends of this zone for each output device to switch off, then this corresonds to 127mW of output power into 8R.

That is, for a quiescent current of around 65mA, the Class A output power of the Lifeforce is just 127mW - and no more.

If you increase the quiescent current to say 500mA (at which point the output stage of the 25W amp would be dissipating a cool 9W per device, which is pretty warm, but not hot), then the Vbe bias voltage would increase to 3V, and the switch off zone would increase around 0.8 volt each side, giving us 330mW of Class A operation.  As you can see, these figures are not very favourable to Class A operation.

Full on Class A would require no less than a quiescent of 2.4A, including reactive reserves.  This would be a total amp dissipation of 43.2W per device, and give a power output of close to 25W continuous into 8R.  These sorts of dissipations would require huge heatsinking, around four times more than normally supplied with the LF 55W, and yet I rather doubt that it would sound that much better than a LF25.  On top of that, the outputs would likely need replacement every couple of years, and you'd get a bit sick of this thing pumping 86W of wasted heat into your listening environment.

In my view, Class A is not the answer.  This is akin to achieving more performance with a tripling of engine size;  it is not particularly efficient, there are huge heat problems, and in fact the sound would not be as dynamic.

Cheers,

Hugh

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #25 on: 3 Sep 2006, 11:14 am »
Thanks Hugh, I am not hung up on classA. I preffer to look at how does the device sound, rather than what class it operates in. It was just a bit of thinking out loud. Thanks for the explanation, an take it that it's operational class has little to do with my decision to buy.

Thanks again
Nigel

AKSAphile

« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2006, 07:20 pm »
Congratulations Hugh on new speaker design :icon_lol:

Now I am corious how the Transonic Model LM1 cabinet would look like?

rookster

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2006, 07:15 am »
Hugh,

Yes, would it be possible to post a photo of the prototype, just to get an idea of the cabinet shape and design.

I suspect the box will be slightly more complex than the Aksonics box.  There is not much more of a simpler design than the Aksonics.

AKSA

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2006, 08:58 am »
Hi Michael,

I will ask Laurie for a snapshot, I'm seeing him tomorrow;  yes, it's bigger, but it's a simple box, nothing too fancy, with a trick central partition, sealed at the bass, and a port at the rear of the top.

Cheers,

Hugh

rookster

« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2006, 09:51 am »
Thanks Hugh, I am interested as always.

AKSA

« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2006, 11:39 am »
Lifeforce State of Play

It's been more than a month since LF55 release and I've not caught up with demand.  But I'm burning the midnight oil, working pretty consistently - and getting through it!

David, Pat and Vern, you are next!!

Once again, I apologise to my customers.  This is like breeding elephants, but I have to say, I've built so many of these modules I'm getting very good at it, and the final product is pretty well made!

I'll be in touch with each of you as the time draws near.  I'm very sorry there's a queue;  Sam is working hard at it too!

Cheers,

Hugh

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2006, 12:40 pm »
Hugh

at least I dont feel guilty or pressured into upgrading any more as I would be going on to a waiting list anyway.

My LF fund has started though!

Nick.

Felipe

« Reply #32 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:03 pm »
My LF is still in Melbourne.... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:...for a week now !??
At least its what the Tracking webpage says.....

Hugh, is the weekly train without fuel over there ??  8)
Hope it's a computer error....

RonR

« Reply #33 on: 20 Sep 2006, 09:32 pm »
Felipe,

My LF modules were posted in Hiedelberg on the 13th Sept, and arrived in the UK today.
When I tried to use the tracking number with Australia Post, it wasn't recognised, so don't get too desperate just yet......

I can certainly vouch for Hugh and Sam's workmanship on the modules though, even if I can't hear the results yet.

Nick,

I should have the LFs up & running in a few weeks. Fancy a listen?

Cheers,

Ron.

AKSA

« Reply #34 on: 20 Sep 2006, 10:03 pm »
Hi Filipe,

I believe Ron is right;  FedEx is a bit lax with its tracking.  They will definitely be out of the country but I will confirm with a call later today.

FedEx, UPS and DHL run very tight ships in Australia.  They are premium price products, and make every attempt to supply an impeccable service.  Often you can call them and they will be ready for pickup within an hour!  I hear some horror stories in the States, but the competition from USPS is much less than in Australia, where Australia Post is almost ubiquitous.

Thanks Ron for your praise of the build quality - repetition brings a good finish, I believe!

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #35 on: 20 Sep 2006, 11:42 pm »
I just tracked mine and it was in Vancouver yesterday...come to papa, baby

Let's see that's one in the U.K., one in Canada, a few down under I imagine  8),  where else is the Lifeforce travelling????

can't wait :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

AKSA

« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:09 am »
Hi Jim,

Portugal (Filipe, aka TUNA), Sweden, Denmark, Singapore, London UK, Brazil, Croatia, South Africa, NYC, Virginia, California, Illinois, to name just four in the US, and now, almost a dozen around Australia, many of them in Melbourne (of course these lucky guys have the opportunity to drop in an listen first!) - the numbers are not large, but they are widespread, and this amp will, over time, become as ubiquitous as the AKSA I'm sure.

Let's hope Jim's LF55 arrives very soon!

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2006, 02:18 am by AKSA »

Felipe

« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2006, 08:09 am »
Hugh,

That is one spreaded comunity ! Who's the guy in Brasil ?? Never heard of another Portuguse native speaker here ! Is he a new costumer ?

Cheers,

Filipe

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2006, 10:32 am »
Ron

:drool:

Once you have had a chance to plug in and enjoy your new mistress alone for a while we can have another chat about sharing for an hour or two.

Nick.

Joules

« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:12 pm »
just four in the US,

Just four?....

My, but that's a pertty exclusive club!!  :lol: for now anyway.