Bryston CD Player

bgewaudio

Re: Bryston CD Player
« Reply #120 on: 20 Jul 2006, 04:22 pm »
James, maybe to early to ask this question, but, an idea on an estimated retail value on the transport mech.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #121 on: 20 Jul 2006, 04:27 pm »
Yes it really is to early at this point for prices. Looks like we will be using a Sony Drive.

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #122 on: 20 Jul 2006, 04:32 pm »
Been kinda waiting patiently for this unit, currently using cheap toshiba dvd as my reference trans mech to BP26 pre.  Just want a neutral transport mech to get the most from my dac.

bgewaudio

« Reply #123 on: 20 Jul 2006, 05:17 pm »
James, will their be two versions of the transport mech for use with MPS2 and without.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #124 on: 20 Jul 2006, 05:19 pm »
Yes we will have a drive with or without an internal power supply.

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #125 on: 20 Jul 2006, 06:15 pm »
Any other physical refinements to outboard dac other than dedicated chassis?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #126 on: 20 Jul 2006, 06:19 pm »
Still playing with the outboard DAC.

james

Levi

« Reply #127 on: 21 Jul 2006, 04:44 am »
James, What happened to the Philips top load unit?  Is the Sony drive the best now? :scratch:

Quote from: james Tanner
About 3 months away I would say. Just experimenting with different drives. So far the Phillips top load unit appears to be the best.

james

Yes it really is to early at this point for prices. Looks like we will be using a Sony Drive.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 21 Jul 2006, 11:47 am »
Hi,

Yes we are very happy with the Sony and the vast majority of people prefer the front load.

james

alpsy

« Reply #129 on: 24 Jul 2006, 01:52 am »
Yes we will have a drive with or without an internal power supply.

james

hi james,

so assuming that the cd is to be coupled with an sp2, would the best option be transport only with internal or external power supply?

also, what digital outputs will the unit have?

are we likely to see the unit for sale this year?

thanks,

julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 24 Jul 2006, 12:11 pm »
HI Julie,

The DAC  in the CD player will be optimized for Redbook CD and SACD so I would recommend going with the complete CD player if using it with the SP2.

james

alpsy

« Reply #131 on: 24 Jul 2006, 12:16 pm »
thanks james,

i eagerly await its release :)

and how about the digital outputs for the unit?

cheers,

julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 24 Jul 2006, 12:28 pm »
Not sure on that one but probably SPDIF, AES and Optical

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #133 on: 24 Jul 2006, 12:48 pm »
Forgive me for getting off topic, but, Julie I think it is fantastic to see females interested in audio......good for you.  :)

alpsy

« Reply #134 on: 25 Jul 2006, 12:43 am »
Forgive me for getting off topic, but, Julie I think it is fantastic to see females interested in audio......good for you.  :)

thanks bgewaudio :)

i tend to get involved in most things hubby is into - eg cars, audio, etc. gives us a lot of common ground and keeps the relationship happy :)

we use a multi function remote which he goes to great lengths to ensure it links everything up the way we like things to work.

quite a big fan of bryston gear (no rack handles please - personal thing but aesthetics carries a lot of weight for me and in a domestic application IMHO i think they are out of place), although when hubby first got me hooked and told me the price i though he was mad and i even madder for allowing him to buy it :)

once we finalise our custom rack display we will be able to really sit back and enjoy our gear.

btw - i really enjoy this group and have learnt so much from it.

cheers,

julie

bgewaudio

« Reply #135 on: 25 Jul 2006, 12:29 pm »
Yes, indeed it is a great forum, unfortunately for me my wife has no intrest in audio at all, she is into music and cinema but not one to sit down and critically listen, and truly enjoy great sounding music, she is more or less one to listen as she is doing something else, in fact where I live there are not many females interested in it at all, as long as they can hear it, that's all that matters, unfortunate really but what do you do.

Anyway, Julie what are the constituents of your system?

bgewaudio

« Reply #136 on: 25 Jul 2006, 12:37 pm »
BTW, Julie, I hear what you say about aesthetics, I personally don't like the rack mount ears, ( more of a commercial app than anything) but I do like the handles on the power amps.  Wish it were possible to get, say a 4b SST w/no ears and handles, very cool : :D

sikoniko

« Reply #137 on: 25 Jul 2006, 06:24 pm »
I personally don't like the rack mount ears, ( more of a commercial app than anything) but I do like the handles on the power amps.  Wish it were possible to get, say a 4b SST w/no ears and handles, very cool : :D

Thats funny, I want to rack mount my stuff, but I dont like the handles, as they prevent putting a glass door on the rack. I suppose that without them though, it would be difficult to mount/remove, due to their weight.

bgewaudio

« Reply #138 on: 25 Jul 2006, 07:12 pm »
True enough, guess thats why those smart guys @ Bryston did it that way, eh James

bgewaudio

« Reply #139 on: 25 Jul 2006, 07:28 pm »
With regards to the new transport mech, I will opt to get the version without the on board power supply, because, I can power it directly from my MPS2 supply.  Wherever I can eliminate any induced noise or hum from internal supplies I will do so.

How about you guys?