James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston CD Player
« on: 28 Apr 2006, 04:57 pm »
Hi All,

Need some input.

How does everyone feel about a TOP-Loader CD as opposed to a TRAY.

james

eddiem67

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2006, 05:22 pm »
I prefer tray, just the fact if I am doing rack installs I dont have to worry about a top loading player.  Where are you guys at with this, I am trying to find a high end CD player, currently looking at McCormick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston CD Player
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2006, 06:06 pm »
About 3 months away I would say. Just experimenting with different drives. So far the Phillips top load unit appears to be the best.

james

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2006, 06:08 pm »
Tray is easier for sticking in a rack.  James, if it is going to be top loading does that mean no (tray) motor mechanism like the Rega Planet and similar players?  As long as one can probably does not take up too much height for racks, that may be better as one does not need to worry about motor parts breaking and may be able to fit CD mats or clamps more easily, not to mention it could make it easier to clean the lens.

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2006, 06:10 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
About 3 months away I would say. Just experimenting with different drives. So far the Phillips top load unit appears to be the best.

james

Are you set on a Philips drive?  I've read more complaints about theirs on places like Audio Asylum.  I've also read that they tend not to support drives as long as Sony (from posts by people who mod machines).

Fife12

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2006, 06:30 pm »
I prefer top loaders. Less problems compared totray/slot loading.

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2006, 06:47 pm »
I would prefer a tray. I too use a rack.

elcaptain88

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2006, 06:53 pm »
I've actually never had a problem with Phillips units - but have had reading & skipping problems with Sony units.

Levi

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2006, 07:04 pm »
Philips CDPro II is pretty good top loader.  

Quote from: James Tanner

james

ec

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2006, 08:59 pm »
I used to own a Micromega Duo top loading transport which had a clamp that I had to manually take off and put back on when changing CDs.  I hated this - it was a royal PITA especially when I only wanted to listen to a one or two songs from a CD.  If it is a top loader, just make sure CDs can be taken out fairly easily and quickly.

Alfalfa

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2006, 09:54 pm »
I am a fan of toploading!

perose

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2006, 10:04 pm »
What about a VRDS drive?? That would be sweet!

I'd say if the Top loader is better then, that's the one that you should use. You might try having the entire drive slide out of the front, much like some of the older Sonys, if tray load vs. top load is an issue.

Jon L

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2006, 01:31 am »
Quote from: ec
I used to own a Micromega Duo top loading transport which had a clamp that I had to manually take off and put back on when changing CDs.  I hated this - it was a royal PITA especially when I only wanted to listen to a one or two songs from a CD.  If it is a top loader, just make sure CDs can be taken out fairly easily and quickly.

I used to own both Micromega Duo and Trio transports.  For me, it was a breeze to change that light clamp (no screws involved), and I FAR, far prefer the mechanical robustness and improved sound quality of top-class top loading transports.

PorkpieHat

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2006, 09:47 am »
When shopping for a CDP I eliminated top loaders from my shortlist because of rack considerations. I stand to be corrected but would bet that people who like top loaders would not eliminate a tray design, everything else being equal.

hanonymus

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2006, 08:55 pm »
Tray. If I'll want to futz with loading, clamps, and the like, I'll buy a turntable.

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2006, 03:40 am »
Quote from: hanonymus
Tray. If I'll want to futz with loading, clamps, and the like, I'll buy a turntable.

If it's done like Rega does it (as I noted earlier) - http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

it is no fuss at all.  The top includes a clamp that gently closes and does not rise to a height that would preclude most ract set-ups.

LarHed

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2006, 07:21 am »
Well, for me it's not an issue with tray- vs toploader. It's the fact that it's a CD-drive only.

If I was to invest "Bryston"-class money on a drive, it has to be a CD/DVD/(HD-DVDor BR) drive, and nothing else. Just CD will simply not be enough...

Just my 2 cent ;)

PorkpieHat

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2006, 09:25 am »
I suppose a top-loader with a door that slides open as opposed to lifting/tilting might work in a rack if not too much clearance were required to get CDs in or out.

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2006, 01:46 pm »
I owned the original Rega Planet many moons ago and with the racks I had it was no problem with clearance.  It naturally would depend on the height of the CD player as well.

eril

Top Loader CD Player
« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2006, 11:09 pm »
I'd prefer a top-loader.
It will be on the top shelf of my rack above the B100.
I don't need any format other than Redbook CD.
Looking to forward to it.
Please do it in black to go with my B100.