DAC 60 new thread

Danny Richie

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #80 on: 25 Feb 2006, 03:36 pm »
Black face plates on the DAC-60 have just been made available.

spacedghost

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #81 on: 25 Feb 2006, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: Danny

That just may cinch it for me....

Shaun

dallasstarsfan

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #82 on: 27 Feb 2006, 03:50 pm »
Quote from: spacedghost
Quote from: Danny

That just may cinch it for me....

Shaun

Me too.  How do I go about ordering one with the black faceplate?

thinh

MarkM

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #83 on: 28 Feb 2006, 02:19 pm »
Alright, I got around to modding my DAC-60 this weekend.  I did just a few basic mods.  The unit in stock form is just fine.  The only reason I did any mods were due to the fact that I had most of the parts on hand from previous projects.  I only had to order the Sonic Caps.

I upgraded the power supply rectifier bridge with an IXYS FRED bridge rectifier.  (I had it left over from an amp mod)

Replaced the stock power supply caps with a Black Gate.

Replaced the output coupling caps with 3.3uf Sonic Caps and .10uf Gen II bypass.

Alright, was it worth the $$$ in parts to mod this thing?  IMHO, yes. My ears noticed an immediate increase in resolution and detail in the upper midrange- top end.  Not that the unit is in any way veiled in stock form, it's not.  The mods take the unit a step further.  

Not sure how long the Sonic Caps take to break in, the unit only has a couple of hours on it.  I'm sure the Black Gate power supply cap needs time as well.(It was in another amp, not used for some time)  I may try a couple of .10uf Jupiter caps to bypass the Sonic Caps, if only to see how they sound, I'll give the current setup a month before I go sticking the soldering iron in there again.

Adamay

USB version
« Reply #84 on: 28 Feb 2006, 08:59 pm »
Danny, if you have any influence over the manufacturer, get them to make the USB version a usb-direct-I2S, rather than via SPDIF.  If it's direct I2S, the DAC60 is in the place; it'll be the hottest thing going.  If not, it'll already be obsolete (see., e.g., Scott Nixon's USBTD).  Thanks.

Danny Richie

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #85 on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:19 pm »
If not, it'll already be obsolete (see., e.g., Scott Nixon's USBTD). Thanks.

Yea, but that is no DAC-60.

I'll pass on the recommendation.

brj

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #86 on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:19 pm »
Regarding USB->I2S, see page 2 of the original thread... specifically, "Lite's idea is a true USB to I2S implement but still under test."

studley

Re: USB version
« Reply #87 on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:21 pm »
Quote from: Adamay
Danny, if you have any influence over the manufacturer, get them to make the USB version a usb-direct-I2S, rather than via SPDIF.  If it's direct I2S, the DAC60 is in the place; it'll be the hottest thing going.  If not, it'll already be obsolete (see., e.g., Scott Nixon's USBTD).  Thanks.

I totally second Adamay's recommendation.  Also any indication at all of when the USB version might be available would be appreciated.

Charles Calkins

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #88 on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:31 pm »
USB DAC? I don't get it? It looks to me that you guys are talking about hooking up a DAC to your computer. I've got a DAC-60 on order and I'll hook it up to an SB3 then on to my preamp or maybe to the amps. I guess I'm missing something here.

Cheers
                              Charlie

Danny Richie

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #89 on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:45 pm »
All that they can tell me on the USB port is that they are working on it. No new news. I just forwarded Adamay's comments to them. We'll see if it gets me some feedback.

Charlie, what they are talking about will allow them to plug their computer straight into the DAC-60 with no need for any other product.

Charles Calkins

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #90 on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:52 pm »
Danny:
 So if I got this right instead of hooking the DAC-60 to my SB3 if it had USB and was hooked up to the computer then it would be just like hooked up to the SB3. Seems kind of goofy to me. I would think you would want to clean uo the signal after the SB3. Whatever! Computers and I don't get along to well. That's why I'm called dumdum.

Cheers
                              Charlie

Loftprojection

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #91 on: 28 Feb 2006, 10:55 pm »
Charles, that's not exactly it, in fact almost the opposite.  If you have a PC physically next to your amp, you absolutely don't need an SB3 to come "mess up" the signal!  

The SB3 is a great tool for people who don't have their PC next to their audio system or for those who have a noisy PC that they don't want to have close to them when listening to music.

As far as I'm concerned, if the DAC-60 has a USB I will be mostly interested because I'm using a portable PC for my music so it is not a problem to put it on top of my audio system when I want to listen to music.   By the way, the USB connection will be a more direct way of talking to the DAC then using a sound card inside your PC or using a SB3 in between.

Hope this helps to clarify.  Don't ask me to much more because I'm not too knowledgeable in technical terms for all that is going on the PC before the soundcard and the USB connector...

Charles Calkins

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #92 on: 28 Feb 2006, 11:17 pm »
loftprjection:
  Thanks for the info. In my case the computer is about 100 feet from my audio system so I've got to use the SB3 or run 100ft. of cable.

Cheers
           Charlie

rotcoddam

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #93 on: 1 Mar 2006, 02:51 am »
Anyone know if  signal quality is affected by long usb cable runs, say 30' from pc to usb/dac?

gongos

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #94 on: 1 Mar 2006, 03:49 am »
Quote from: rotcoddam
Anyone know if  signal quality is affected by long usb cable runs, say 30' from pc to usb/dac?

Not if you get a buffered cable, which you'll need for runs over 15'.

rajacat

• Washington State
DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #95 on: 1 Mar 2006, 05:42 am »
Is there any other reason, aside from the wireless ability, to use a Squeezebox if you can run USB2 to a quality DAC to the amp/receiver?
You could have a small notebook or PDA for a remote via Bluetooth if needed.

Loftprojection

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #96 on: 1 Mar 2006, 03:28 pm »
Quote from: rajacat
Is there any other reason, aside from the wireless ability, to use a Squeezebox if you can run USB2 to a quality DAC to the amp/receiver?
You could have a small notebook or PDA for a remote via Bluetooth if needed.

Well some people say the modded Squeezebox becomes a very high-end DAC.  I doubt it can compete with something like the DAC-60 but you never know, maybe someone will do a test someday.  However there is one real reason I can think of.  Some people use a home theater receiver as a pré-amp into a power amp.  The Squeezebox supposedly has a very good volume control so you can use it to feed an amp directly bypassing a low quality preamp.  For people like me who use a quality stereo integrated amp, like you say, I don't see the point of using the Squeezebox, I prefer putting my money into a very good DAC instead.

mcgsxr

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #97 on: 1 Mar 2006, 05:57 pm »
I find the DAC 60 interesting, which is why I had Bolder do the digital mods to my SB3, in addition to the full analog mods - in case I desire to add an outboard DAC to my system again.

As Loftprojection alluded to though, in my case, it is the fact that the SB3 can be the source/DAC/preamp in my single source system, that has me enamoured with the idea of using it, as the DAC for me.

I sold off a Bolder Mensa, a Hagerman Clarinet tubed pre, and a Monarchy DIP after hearing the stock SB3... direct into my amp, then on to my speakers.

Works great, simple, easy to use etc.

But, for other configurations, a good quality DAC such as the 60, could be just the ticket down the road.

Hopefully, someone with a modded SB3 will live near someone with such a DAC...

spacedghost

Now the waiting begins
« Reply #98 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:59 pm »
Hello all
Long time lurker on this site, I spend most of my time on the AV123 site.  Just ordered the DAC60 w/mods, now the waiting begins... :)

This is uncharted territory for me, I'm usually the instant gratification kind of guy...lol
How long did you guys have to wait for your modded units?

I'm sure this will turn out to be a great purchase based on Danny's rep and the reviews I have read on here and AV123.  

When I receive mine, I will try to give my (uneducated) impressions verses the DAC's in my Onix XCD99.

Shaun

Bequerel

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #99 on: 2 Mar 2006, 09:16 am »
I am in the process of doing a full mod to my DAC60 as well to my SB3 (inclusive linear PSU). I am still waiting for a few parts for the DAC mod, but I am done with the worst: Replace the DAC chip with the K-version.

The SB will get the standard digital AND analog "treatment" in addition to an output transformer for the S/PDIF output.

The menu for the DAC60 is the following:

1) Replace electrolytics with Jensen 4-pole and Black Gates
2) Replace output caps with Sonicaps (Gen1+Platinum)
3) Choke in high voltage PSU
4) HexFreds for at least high voltage PSU
5) Replace connectors (NextGen for S/PDIF)
6) Replace AC inlet with Furutech
7) ByBees in high voltage PSU
8) Digital input transformer
9) Apply ERS cloth and damping to the chassis
10) Siemens CCa tubes with tube dampers
11) Replace feet

I will report back when I am done.