DAC 60 new thread

outlawrocketman

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #140 on: 3 May 2006, 02:23 pm »
erlebo,

Had another thought. Does using USB from the computer provide a source for bit-perfect output?  If so I could think about upgrading the DAC-60 to USB input if /when that happens, use itunes with apple lossless, and improve the sound...

outlawrocketman

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #141 on: 3 May 2006, 02:26 pm »
nhtran, Danny suggested I get in touch with Gary Dodd, who said he has / recommends Amperex Orange Globe 7308's. I'll give that a try and see if the sound is even *better* than what I already get out of the DAC-60.

Gooch

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #142 on: 3 May 2006, 03:44 pm »
Get the Amperex 6DJ8, Orange globe logo, Holland (shield, steel pins,) over the US Amperex 7308, Orange globe logo, (shield, gold pins) The 6Dj8 sounds better warmer sound and more transparent. The white lable 7803 Amperex is the best but you will pay more for those. I have rolled all of these in a Dodd preamp.

Regards
Dave

nhtran

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #143 on: 3 May 2006, 04:30 pm »
If you want a warm sound, I suggest you find a pair of Mullards.

Also, in regards to the Amprex's there are alot of variations out there (A-frames, Halo getters, etc).  I have not tried all...only the 7308 (PQ, orange globe, and green globe) and the 6dj8 A-frames.  The A-frames do give a warmer sound, but I felt that the frequency extremes weren't up to par with the 7308's.  

The best I've tried thus far is the 7308 PQ (which can get a little pricey).

NT

erlebo

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #144 on: 4 May 2006, 03:01 pm »
Quote from: outlawrocketman
erlebo,

Had another thought. Does using USB from the computer provide a source for bit-perfect output?  If so I could think about upgrading the DAC-60 to USB input if /when that happens, use itunes with apple lossless, and improve the sound...

I haven't tried a USB DAC yet, but they're supposed to be able to do what you want.

Charles Calkins

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #145 on: 30 May 2006, 11:08 pm »
I was going through all the audio gear I have in storage yesterday and ran across my old Ultech-UCD 100 CD player. About 7 or 8 maybe 9 years ago it was a class B stereophile mag. Cd player. Couldn't remember how it sounded so I hooked it up in my main system. Didn't sound bad at all for such an old CD player. Then I got curious as to how it would sound going through the DAC- 60.

KILLER!!!! And I do mean KILLER!!!

The old Ultech has taken on a new life. This has got to be one of the biggest improvements to a CD player I've heard.

Normally I run an SB3 through the DAC-60. It did make an improvement to the overall sound of the SB3 but now running it through this old CD player it's kind of jaw dropping. Maybe not as good sounding as the SB3 DAC-60 combination but I am impressed!

Cheers
                    Charlie

NealH

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #146 on: 31 May 2006, 12:56 am »
I had an Ultech and, as a transport it was outstanding.  As a dac it was decent.  Nothing special but, it was decent.  Its transport was its strong point.

Gizmo

Re: DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #147 on: 3 Jul 2006, 02:11 am »
Hi Charlie,

I just wanted to clarify which you prefer.  The SB3 to DAC 60 or your CDP to DAC 60.  Which do you think gives you the best overall sound quality.

Thanks,

David

audioengr

« Reply #148 on: 4 Jul 2006, 08:50 pm »
erlebo,

Yes, it is bit-perfect with the right USB converter.

Gizmo

« Reply #149 on: 5 Jul 2006, 01:36 pm »
Will Empirical Audio be working their magic on the DAC 60?

smk5r

« Reply #150 on: 5 Jul 2006, 01:51 pm »

I happen to be the very lucky owner of an EA modded DAC60 with USB input.  I hope to be posting my impressions before the weekend.
Thanks.
-smk5r

Jon L

« Reply #151 on: 5 Jul 2006, 04:01 pm »

I happen to be the very lucky owner of an EA modded DAC60 with USB input.  I hope to be posting my impressions before the weekend.
Thanks.
-smk5r

Congratulations.  Do let us know after trying as many different tubes as possible. 

smk5r

« Reply #152 on: 5 Jul 2006, 06:17 pm »
Do let us know after trying as many different tubes as possible.

I have tried the stock tubes (some Jan Philips, I believe), a pair of Amperex Orange globe Holland 7308s, and Amperex White PQ US 7308s.  As others have noted, the differences were not subtle.  Before the mods I prefered the White labels.  After the mods and a good deal of burn in during which the sound developed dramatically, I actually prefer the stock tubes now.  Go figure.

Gizmo

« Reply #153 on: 5 Jul 2006, 07:05 pm »
smk5r,

Do you know if yours is a 1 off, or something that will be offered ongoing?

Thanks,

David

smk5r

« Reply #154 on: 5 Jul 2006, 11:41 pm »
Do you know if yours is a 1 off, or something that will be offered ongoing?

Steve Nugent has mentioned in the past that he has plans on offering a USB tube DAC based on the DAC60 as an Empirical Audio offering.  In the mean time, I'd be willing to wager that more people will approach him about modding the DAC60. I suggest you ask him on the Empirical Audio board of Audio Circle.

-smk5r

Charles Calkins

« Reply #155 on: 5 Jul 2006, 11:53 pm »
Don't know how much better the DAC-60 with Sonic craft mods can get. It has easily exceeded my expectations. By far the very best DAC I have ever owned.  

Cheers
                                        Charlie

Danny Richie

« Reply #156 on: 6 Jul 2006, 12:18 am »
For what it is worth Steve did order a fully moded DAC-60. I guess you could say he liked it.  :green:

Steve, it will ship in a few days.

Gizmo

« Reply #157 on: 15 Jul 2006, 11:19 pm »
I received my Modded DAC60 yesterday.  Carefully opened the box and set it up using a stock SB3 coaxial digital out into the DAC.  I also left the SB3 analog outs hooked up to my pre-pro.  Right out of the box the difference between the 2 was not subtle.  I have really enjoyed the SB3,  it is so much fun having your entire music collection available at the touch of a button.  Anyway the addition of the DAC60 has me grinning ear to ear.  Tremendously revealing, better bass, more impact, more depth.  I was skeptical if there would be that big a difference, but I have zero buyers remorse, and this is just one day in.  I know once it breaks in it will only get better.  Danny is great to deal with.  Thanks for this great value.

David

Charles Calkins

« Reply #158 on: 21 Jul 2006, 05:23 pm »
David:
  Welcome to the DAC-60 fan club. I agree with you 100%. I'm sending my SB3 to Bolder cable co. for digital mods. Should kick things up a notch or two.

Cheers
                                 Charlie