DAC 60 new thread

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2006, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: Loftprojection
That's exactly what I'm thinking.  I'm still not sure if even used as a transport it can equal a good CD player's transport.  My Arcam is not extraordinary but in the $1500-2500 CDP market it can definitely hold it's place.  In the Bolder and RWA forums almost everybody is raving about their modded SB3 and some got rid of expensive CD players but there is always that little comment that bugs me a bit, it sounds very good and it's so practical I would never go back to a CD player.  Well for me, everytime I b ...

I assure you that a fully modified Squeeze Box will outperform some very expensive transports.

Figure out a way to try and hear it for yourself and make up your own mind.

George

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2006, 06:15 pm »
Back to the DAC-60.....

A guy on the Slim Devices forum is saying that several DAC-60's have been shipped with the lesser PCM1704U chip instead of the PCM1704U-K.

I wonder if this is true. Danny, are you aware of such thing happening?

I'm having my fingers crossed that my DAC-60 will have the "K" chip. Otherwise, it's going to be a PITA to return it.

Danny Richie

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2006, 02:20 pm »
To my understanding all of these chips are printed (marked) the same.

They are then tested and those that fall within the highest quality in performance are given the "K" series designating and are marked by hand.

They should have a couple of small dots on the end of them (usually White) that have been made with a small maker.

This is how they are marked during grading.

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2006, 05:02 pm »
thanks for the insight Danny!

jackman

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2006, 05:07 pm »
This is why it's better to buy one of these DAC's through a reputable guy like Danny and  GR Research than to buy from some unknown overseas firm.   :D

Let us know how you like the DAC!  I've been following this thread and the feedback on this DAC.

J

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:16 pm »
I agree Jackman. Can't wait to get mine. I'll put it through its paces and report back!

jackman

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:22 pm »
I spoke with a local guy, Machine who is very excited about completely modded DAC from GR Research.  Something tells me this trip is going to cost me money!  

Cheers,

Jack

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:27 pm »
Seems like our friend "Machine" is posting at the Slim Devices forum. So many different forums!

Definitely, I think this DAC is going to be killer.

sl_1800

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:17 pm »
I got my Squeezebox on Friday and I have been letting it burn in.  I had rough time getting my home network setup the way I wanted but it finally correct.  This was not the fault of the Squeezebox just my lack of computer knowldge.

Loftprojection

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2006, 10:32 pm »
Quote from: sl_1800
I got my Squeezebox on Friday and I have been letting it burn in.  I had rough time getting my home network setup the way I wanted but it finally correct.  This was not the fault of the Squeezebox just my lack of computer knowldge.

Are you going to run the SB with a DAC-60?  If so let us know what you think and what equipment it replaces.  Thanks.

sl_1800

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2006, 11:51 pm »
I'm going to Danny's place next weekend for the class D amp comparison so while I'm there I'm sure I will check out the DAC's.  My current digital equipment is a Sony SCD XA777ES SA/CD and a Sony S7000 DVD player.

I can already say the 7000 will stay since I use it for DVD as well but the 777 I'm sure will be sold.

machine

I get Around
« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2006, 02:33 am »
I have the DAC-60 and was somewhat concerened about the "K" issue.

You always need to verify stuff you read anywhere.

I'll tell you that this thing is only getting better.  Been running it 24 hr. for the last few days to burn it in.

Anyone in the Chicagoland area is invited to check this out.  Been talking with jackman and hopefully he will stop by and give this a listen.

I mostly post on AV123 but have been reading/posting on AudioCircle and Slim Devices forum as of late.  

I'm building Dannys Open Baffle speakers and own two of the SB3's and one SB1.  Been keeping an eye on these forums.  Try to only post when I have somthing to add.

Jackman also has a modified SB3 (RW analog only) and linear power supply.  I hope to compare this to my stock unit.

Still wondering how much of a difference this would be.  I think the SB3 uses the lower grade chip and when compared with the higher grade there was no significant difference.

Always trying to learn....

arthurs

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2006, 02:42 am »
we heard it yesterday for a few hours here in Texas and it's a damn fine DAC, and the platinum Sonicaps make it even better......

machine

Sony S7000
« Reply #33 on: 13 Feb 2006, 02:48 am »
[edit - Sony S7000 is subject]

I have one of these and love it.

Compared the Analog out on this vs. my P-1a/P-3a stack and it held up pretty well.  Little harsh on the top end.  For a transport it is awesome.

Really don't spin many disks lately since I started rippng to my computer.  I use EAC and am surprised at the problems I see reading disks.  EAC will retry many times to get the right data, gotta assume any CD player just has to "fill in" in these cases.

My only issue with this is mine won't play DVD's any more.  Tried the service mode realign process but it just doesn't work.  really would have been nice to feed my infocus 4805.

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #34 on: 13 Feb 2006, 03:06 am »
Yes. Data interpolation is commonplace when playing CDs even in expensive transports. It's part of the old redbook standard. If the player or transport needs to "fill in" missing data then you are not getting an accurate digital data stream and reconstructed analog signal.

EAC will read the disc being ripped several times if necessary to obtain the original bits. Once the WAV or FLAC file has been created, the possibility of errors during playback is quite rare. The redudancy checks built in the operating system are much more accurate than the rudimentary redbook specification. Any such errors would mean corruption in a file, however small.

The advantage of using a computer to play the ripped files is accuracy. The data stream is much more stable.

For me, there's no going back. I am only using optical discs for DVD, DVD audio and SACD. Until there's a way to rip the high-res formats...

elnero

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #35 on: 13 Feb 2006, 01:51 pm »
Quote from: crooner
Back to the DAC-60.....

A guy on the Slim Devices forum is saying that several DAC-60's have been shipped with the lesser PCM1704U chip instead of the PCM1704U-K.
I recently heard something similar to this as well. I originally chalked it up to a competing manufacturer trying to sell his own product so I didn't put much stock in it but now to read something similar here has me wondering.

sl_1800

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2006, 01:56 pm »
I'm haveing a little trouble with EAC and Flac,  when I get to say track 11 or 12 on almost every disc, EAC will grind to a complete stop.  If I tell it to skip those tracks then it will pick up speed and go on with the rest of the disc.  Now i can go back and do those skipped tracks one at a time and it will blaze throught them !!!!  Why did it not do that the first time???

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #37 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:28 am »
Quote from: sl_1800
I'm haveing a little trouble with EAC and Flac,  when I get to say track 11 or 12 on almost every disc, EAC will grind to a complete stop.  If I tell it to skip those tracks then it will pick up speed and go on with the rest of the disc.  Now i can go back and do those skipped tracks one at a time and it will blaze throught them !!!!  Why did it not do that the first time???

Yeah EAC can get temperamental at times. It depends partly on your particular drive. It's a good idea to have AcurateRip installed to check common discs.

crooner

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2006, 09:43 pm »
This totally sucks...
It turns out my package was sent via TNT express and they tried to deliver yesterday and today and I wasn't home!  :cry:
I rescheduled delivery for tomorrow.
Sad thing is that I never got a tracking number, otherwise I would have stayed home waiting for the package to be delivered!!!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:

Danny Richie

DAC 60 new thread
« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2006, 09:54 pm »
Sorry, they typically send it through the postal service.