Simple Killer Amp - Introductory Offer!

JoshK

« Reply #60 on: 13 Feb 2006, 08:38 pm »
what would the recommended quiescent supply voltage be for the GB150s run into 4R loads (not subs)?

amplifierguru

« Reply #61 on: 13 Feb 2006, 09:11 pm »
Hi Josh K,

Recommended for dedicated 4 ohm use is +/-45V quiescent (draw is 100mA each) with approx 200VA and +/-15,000uF for a monoblock, with 300VA and +/-25,000uF for a shared supply.

Cheers,
greg

amplifierguru

« Reply #62 on: 14 Feb 2006, 12:09 am »
Hi all,

Thanks for your great support though this offer period - I've some workload over the next coupla weeks.

I'll be working to the tune ... "Oh Volunteered Slavery"..... Rahsaan Roland Kirk.  

then Tom Waits .."I'll be eligible for parole, come Valentines Day"

Offer closed.

cheers,
greg

JoshK

« Reply #63 on: 14 Feb 2006, 01:56 am »
If your amps are anything close to as good as those I trust opinion's then your amp kits will go down on my short list of audiophile bargains with the Modula series of speaker projects (Jon Marsh's design on htguide.com) and Dave Slagle's autoformers.

SamL

« Reply #64 on: 14 Feb 2006, 06:52 am »
Quote from: amplifierguru

Offer closed.

cheers,
greg

Bummer! Just found out the offer today....
Oh well, please contact me if you have spare GB150D kit without taker.

Cheers,
Sam

ctviggen

« Reply #65 on: 14 Feb 2006, 12:26 pm »
You can still buy them, they're just double the price.

JoshK

« Reply #66 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:32 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
You can still buy them, they're just double the price.

Not double, but more....the price on the website is quoted in AUD not USD now.

ctviggen

« Reply #67 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:38 pm »
Sorry!  I thought the original call was for double the price, but I was incorrect.

Hmmm....I'm considering either two of these modules or two of the Aksa modules with tube input.  I prefer a more relaxed sound, and I'm afraid these modules may not give me that.  However, the only person I know to directly compare the Aksa and these is Shinobiwan, but I couldn't determine whether these modules are mellow or not.

audiojerry

« Reply #68 on: 14 Feb 2006, 04:04 pm »
Well, I'll be waiting for the shake out of impressions from the brave early auditioners, like Mike. They got in at the bargain price, but deserve it because they are the ones taking the risk, and Greg properly provided the incentive to those brave ones.

amplifierguru

« Reply #69 on: 15 Feb 2006, 01:34 am »
Thanks audiojerry for the excellent take on the situation and I'm sorry Sam L, but I did have to make this move to sustainability.

Hi Bob,

The very 'first in best dressed' to do a review was Rellum over at DIYaudio -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=801752#post801752

Personally, I don't see much competition on the radar even at twice the price based on owners impressions to date - so they still offer very good value.   :roll:

Cheers,
Greg

gonefishin

« Reply #70 on: 15 Feb 2006, 08:17 pm »
oh man :evil:

I missed it too.  Any talk of an extension?  :D

It's not easy when you've got a three way active system :(

oh well :(

take care all!
   dan

amplifierguru

« Reply #71 on: 15 Feb 2006, 09:38 pm »
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear you missed the special. But the 150Watt GB150D's ( or SKA) are still only US$150 a stereo pair in kit form - that's $0.50c /W of very smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing natural sound.

Still a bargain upgrade.

6 was it?

Cheers,
Greg

wendell

Help with build
« Reply #72 on: 16 Feb 2006, 01:21 am »
Hello everyone

I just purchased the GB150d along with the power supply offered by Gregg and Sould be receiving the full module kit within weeks.  This is my first DIY amp build, and although I have decent soldering skills by making a few DIY speakers along with modding a few electronics,  I am really a amatuer when it comes to understanding how each components work.  I can follow intstructions real well!!  That is why I decided to go with this kit to get some experience in building an amplifier.

Can anyone recommend a few sites to learn more about the workings of an amplifier?

Also,  I need some direction as far as what is needed to complete the build.  I want to have the parts needed once the kit arrives.  

Thanks

:lol:

Gordy

« Reply #73 on: 16 Feb 2006, 04:47 am »
Hello Wendell,

Here are two fairly recent threads that have book and site recommendations

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2659&highlight=books+electronics

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11791&highlight=books+electronics

Googling 'Electronics tutorial' will get you to sites like this... http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/g_knott/index21.htm

amplifierguru

« Reply #74 on: 16 Feb 2006, 07:54 am »
Thanks for that Gordy.

Coming from a background of designing completed Audiophile amplifiers , this foray into kits is a new one for me and, while I'm only too happy to assist, even walk novice constructors through the assembly of an amplifier, I must admit being unprepared for the absolute novice. Everyone starts somewhere - I just learned which end of a soldering iron to hold some 40 years ago in my teens  :roll: and I assume (probably wrongly) even my kids have some innate knowledge.

My instructions are a work in progress.

We always have something to learn.

Cheers,
Greg :mrgreen:

Greg Erskine

« Reply #75 on: 16 Feb 2006, 10:50 am »
My instructions are a work in progress.

Hi Greg,

Your instructions were fine for me, but I have all ready build a few amps. A novice is going to need a lot of additional help IMHO. :o

It's difficult for a guru with 40 years experience to get into the head of a beginner.  :mrgreen:

regards
Greg #2

JoshK

« Reply #76 on: 16 Feb 2006, 02:42 pm »
That is what we are here for...

I was a complete and totally novice just some 2 years ago I think, and while still a novice, I can build some things from a schematic without instructions.  I am also willing to help others along the path that I just recently traveled.   One doesn't have to look that far back on this forum to find when I was trying to figure out what a diode did.  

I ordered two pair of the SKA150s, so I'll be building them too, as I assume others are, so we together should be able to answer a lot of easy very simple questions.

gonefishin

« Reply #77 on: 16 Feb 2006, 04:53 pm »
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear you missed the special. But the 150Watt GB150D's ( or SKA) are still only US$150 a stereo pair in kit form - that's $0.50c /W of very smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing natural sound.

Still a bargain upgrade.

6 was it?

Cheers,
Greg

I just don't have the extra money, for the two 150Watt and one 300Watt version right now.  I'll have to look back in the future.  Just too many projects.  Including a total backyard landscaping project in spring.  I was trying to sneek in one more audio project before then.  

Thanks...take care,
  dan

amplifierguru

« Reply #78 on: 16 Feb 2006, 10:52 pm »
Hi Greg #1,

Good to hear you've built the amp kits OK. How are they going?

Hi JoshK,

Your kits were despatched yesterday.

Hi Dan,

Might I suggest you start with a pair of GB150D kits then - see if they're to you liking?

Cheers,
greg

KLe

« Reply #79 on: 21 Feb 2006, 07:27 am »
Hi All

Here's a photo of my GB300D :) http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8420#8420

rgds
KL