Nice work.

No problems? Plenty of power?

Burned in yet - how about some listening impressions?  :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Greg

mgalusha

Simple Killer Amp - Introductory Offer!
« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2006, 04:52 am »
My GB300 kits arrived today. The PCB's look to be nicely done and I look forward to assembling them. I'll post pics in the Lab circle. BTW Greg, the post card was a nice touch. :)

Mike

RAW

« Reply #82 on: 22 Feb 2006, 05:02 am »
Sound good.
I too am waiting for a few to arrive, and we will get them finished up and have a listen .

Looking forward to them.
 :mrgreen:

amplifierguru

« Reply #83 on: 22 Feb 2006, 07:18 am »
Hi Mike - that's really quick delivery. Better than the poor guy in NY who waited a month, no show. So I sent him another and the first turned up the next day!!

Al, yours should be just around the corner. I want to find out how they sound with those new 95db towers of yours - I might be up for a pair!

Liven up the neighbours.

Cheers,
Greg

RAW

« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2006, 03:50 pm »
Greg

8) Thanks
Yes going to have the amps finished and going with them new towers is the idea.
 :wink:

KLe

« Reply #85 on: 23 Feb 2006, 07:26 am »
Quote from: amplifierguru
Hi KLe,

Nice work.
Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg
The GB300D amp keeps getting better and better, as, they run in. I will be posting a review over the weekend. :mrgreen:

KLe

« Reply #86 on: 23 Feb 2006, 07:39 am »
Quote from: KLe
Hi KLe,
Nice work.
Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg
Just a little appertiser ... The GB300D's have a valve like character with ss bass :mrgreen: That's all for the moment, more to come  :o

KL

Agisthos

« Reply #87 on: 23 Feb 2006, 11:25 am »
Hi Mike - that's really quick delivery. Better than the poor guy in NY who waited a month, no show. So I sent him another and the first turned up the next day!!

Get used to it Greg, I send and recieve stuff from the US all the time and it can take 3 months if something is held in their customs.

It is quite different from sending to/from the UK, where it will only be a week or 2 at most.

audiojerry

« Reply #88 on: 23 Feb 2006, 01:10 pm »
mgalusha,
Please post here when you begin posting in the Lab - that way we'll know when it happens if we have "Notify me" set.
Thanks

JoshK

« Reply #89 on: 24 Feb 2006, 01:50 am »
Just got my 4 boards, thanks Greg, looks like a fun project!

mgalusha

« Reply #90 on: 24 Feb 2006, 03:37 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
Please post here when you begin posting in the Lab - that way we'll know when it happens if we have "Notify me" set.

I'll be sure to do that Jerry. I did take some photos of the bare boards and kits yesterday and with any luck I'll start putting them together tomorrow night or Saturday.

Mike

mgalusha

« Reply #91 on: 24 Feb 2006, 04:54 am »
I've started a thread in the lab circle for a build of the kits. It would be nice if other AC members building these offered their thoughts and experiences as their amps come together.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25956

mike

KLe

« Reply #92 on: 24 Feb 2006, 05:02 am »
Hi All
A friend listened to my GB300D based system, on Wednesday (< 12 hours of run in), and I asked him to write for me summary of his listening experience. This was his experience ...  :roll:

I'd be happy to summarize my listening experience at your home this past Wednesday.

A brief recap.

The system in general performed at a very high level, and seemed to get sweeter and smoother as the afternoon wore on.  What I heard was a very relaxed, effortless, and lifelike musical presentation.  It was engaging and thoroughly enjoyable. The stage was wide and deep, and retrieval and resolution of micro detail was excellent.  Most important to me, was the obvious coherence.  Time related linearity bettered some of the obscenely expensive systems I have heard.

The interconnects were a major component in the chain.  Changing them out made a huge difference, which also attests to the ability of the loudspeakers to reveal these subtle--or not so subtle shadings.

Hope this proves helpful.
Randall  

mine to come
rgds  :o

KLe

« Reply #93 on: 24 Feb 2006, 06:12 am »
Hi All
I have built Greg's GB300D, his 300W amp modules. I am running them at 200W/8ohms, 400W/4ohms (+/-63VDC rails).

I asked Greg for some tweaks and he suggested the following
R) important Resistor's for substitution are R4 (1W is good) , R14, R3, R2.
C) important Capacitor's are C19, C3, and C1 if you choose to fit a DC blocking capacitor.

Hope this is helpful and all tweaks (that work) are welcome
:beer:
KL

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #94 on: 27 Feb 2006, 06:37 am »
Newbie here!  :D   I'm considering the GB150D not as a kit but fully assembled and tested. If I were to buy this amp, what other parts and installations would be needed to have a fully functioning amp :?:  I did, for awhile, ponder the full kit but it has been years since I've attempted this type of project ,however, I'm not completely ignorant since I did construct a Hafler amp/preamp about 15 years ago without much knowledge of electronic theory; just connected the dots.

Roy

KLe

« Reply #95 on: 27 Feb 2006, 07:37 am »
Quote from: rajacat
Newbie here!  :D   I'm considering the GB150D not as a kit but fully assembled and tested. If I were to buy this amp, what other parts and installations would be needed to have a fully functioning amp :?:  I did, for awhile, ponder the full kit but it has been years since I've attempted this type of project ,however, I'm not completely ignorant since I did construct a Hafler amp/preamp about 15 years ago without much knowledge of electronic theory; just connected the dots.
Roy

Hi rajacat
You can contact Greg Ball for advise and details, via his email, which is http://amplifierguru@dodo.com.au
:beer:
KL

TNT

150W amp order
« Reply #96 on: 1 Mar 2006, 05:18 am »
Has everyone who ordered simple Killer amps received his kits?  Amplifierguru doesn't even reply to my many PMs.

It's been almost a month since I paid via PAYPAL. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :cuss:  :cuss:  :cuss:  :cuss:

amplifierguru

« Reply #97 on: 1 Mar 2006, 05:57 am »
Hi TNT,

Funny, I check the PMs 3 times a day - your two just appeared and I answered.

You should have your kits this week. They were despatched last Sunday, your time. That'll be < 3 weeks from order, if there are no inordinate delays in the post.

I know you are anxious to build them. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Greg

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #98 on: 1 Mar 2006, 02:48 pm »
Funny how two perspectives of the same incident can be so different.

To the buyer "3 weeks" is "almost a month".

The the seller 3 weeks is just over 2 weeks.
 :lol:

TNT

« Reply #99 on: 1 Mar 2006, 03:54 pm »
The only reason I was anxious is Paypal gives you a month to ask for refund.  
now I can look forward to receiving it instead of wondering.  All is well...