SB3 power supplies

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« on: 18 Jan 2006, 08:34 pm »
So I looked up the PS mentioned in the thread in the Lab Circle and the specific one mentioned at Hosfelt is apparently no longer available. There was another 5vdc 1.5A supply mentioned being available at another place for $17.50. That too seems to be no longer available.

So is there another ps that would work that's currently available somewhere?

Does anyone have the plug size for the SB3? I see that the ps that comes with the unit has a 5vdc 2A supply with the center being positive.

Scott F.

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2006, 08:53 pm »
Bubba,

I've found a few different surplus power supplies at my local surplus electronics supply house that work well. Unfortunately, they don't have a presence online.

One of the more interesting ones I found that you might be able to find locally is a 5 volt, 2 amp, regulated PS that feeds (or fed) an Epson printer (of all things). Its a simple yet beefy design that does a bang up job. All you have to do is change the plug.

You should be able to find one of those at your local used computer store fairly easy. If not that one, you might consider the Vellman DIY power supply from Parts Express. Add a transformer (from Rat Shack) and a case and you are off to the races.

lcrim

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2006, 09:39 pm »
From the Slimdevices website:
5.0V DC, regulated
Center positive, sleeve ground
Connector: 2.5mm ID, 5.5mm OD, 11mm long
Min supply rating: 1000mA

BTW, I use one that I "found" at work that is only 1 AMP but is a heavy linear PS and there was a nice gain in sound quality, .  I use the digital coax out to SN Dac and the sound quality is very nice.  So keep your eyes open and maybe you'll find one.

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2006, 02:43 am »
Thanks for the info.

Looks like this plug from Ratshack has the right inside/outside dimensions, but the barrel length is only 9.5mm not the 11mm that Larry got off of the Slimdevices website.

Wonder if being 1.5mm too short would mater at all?

Might have to stop by one of the local electronics shops and see what they've got...

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:11 am »
Found this one with the right plug,
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=168605
but it's only 1A.

Larry, are you using that 1A supply with a SB2 or SB3?

Occam

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:24 am »
Now here is a large caveat - With surplus sources, one shouldn't assume the vendor is anymore knowledgeable than you are -
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Code=TM01PWS4465&Category_Code=PWS

EDIT- Bubba - Sorry Re: your post below, hopefully the link will now work

Now this is clearly identified as a switching supply, but (I believe) it is actually a linear regulated supply, given its size and it being much like the Hosfelt supply, no longer in stock, that I previously recommended. (Given the vaugaries of the description, I'd also assume that the output plug, or whole output cord would have to be replaced/reconfigured)
If you call them, no doubt they would tell you its a switching supply as describle. Take your chances....
FWIW

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:26 am »
Quote from: Occam
Now here is a large caveat - With surplus sources, one shouldn't assume the vendor is anymore knowledgeable than you are -
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Prod ...
Now this is clearly identified as a switching supply, but (I believe) it is actually a linear regulated supply, given its size and it being much like the Hosfelt supply, no longer in stock, that I previously recommended. (Given the vaugaries of the description, I'd also assume that the output plug, or w ...

With that link I get this

Fatal Error  

Miva Merchant has encountered a fatal error and is unable to continue. The following information may assist you in determining the cause of the error:

Error Code:  MER-DTB-00072  
    Description:  Product '' not found  

Is there something wrong with your link in the post?

Scott F.

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:54 am »
Hey Occam,

What do you think about using a case mount BNC as the power connector as opposed to that slide in female connector that comes stock in the SB? I kinda like the rigidity of the BNC. It just looks and feels sturdier. I think it should be fine for the 1 amp or so that the SB requires.

Eli

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2006, 04:01 am »

mgalusha

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2006, 04:43 am »
The supplies on eBay would work fine as long you as don't mind terminating them. Gotta love the price. :thumb:

Eli

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2006, 04:52 am »
Can anyone suggest a cable design if I also wanted to replace the flimsy cable between the PS and Squeezebox?

Occam

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2006, 05:02 am »
Eli - Dunno, they look fine, but who knows. The shipping cost they quoted me to the Nasty Apple was $15.98. As the 2 of them would fit easily in a $7.70 Priority USPS box, so if they're smart, they're actually charging a bit more, but such is life....
You'll have a spare to share with a friend or to use as a deadly weapon.

Scott - The criteria I'd apply to any replacement power connector is -

1. The socket you're mounting fits easily into the present socket mounting space of the SB, or it doesn't require much hassle to mount.

2. The plug for the above socket should be able to accomodate a star-quad (4 wire) termination to 2 poles. As the typical industrial linear supplies have +, - as well as +sense, -sense (to minimize voltage drop and impedance) we'd ideally like to run 4 wires in the power umbilical, where we connect the + & +sense wires together, and the same for the - wires at the plug. That umbilical might have a telescoping shield from the supply if grounded, but we want the option of of leaving the power connection floating to minimize the possibility of ground loops, by leaving the ground reference to be established via the ground connection through whatever output from the SB, either digital or analog.

The typical open linear supply, like the PowerOne I've mentioned from CascadeSurplus.com , or any of the many generic uln723 based regulators available from Condor, PowerOne, InternationalPower, Lambda, etc.... all have both + & - sense connections, as do the better specified supplies that I'm investigating (I'll post on these if they turn out to have any merit).

lcrim

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2006, 02:31 pm »
bubba-I am using an SB3 and the PS is 1 Amp and it works just fine.  I think the voltage is a lot more of a critical parameter than the amperage.  I have also changed the PS on the USB to SPDIF device that I have downstairs, the Creative Audigy 2 NX, and used the Jameco p/n 211060 on which I had to change the connector to fit the Audigy but it should probably fit the SB3 w/o modifying, it has the correct amperage and voltage if it is still available.  I have tried changing the way both of these PS are plugged into my power strips and if there is anything critical about polarity, I didn't notice any difference.  These little linear, regulated PS's do run somewhat warm to the touch.

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2006, 06:04 am »
Quote from: Eli
Any thoughts on this one?  Non-wart, 2.3A and two-fer $8.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7571275306&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Well, I bought one lot of 2 of those supplies. And they showed up today. :o They're feakin' huge!

Quote from: mgalusha
The supplies on eBay would work fine as long you as don't mind terminating them. Gotta love the price. :thumb:

Yeah, so I'm not minding terminating them. But as they're currently unterminated I don't know which side is positive and which side is negative. This is when I wish I had a voltmeter of some sort.

Is there any other way of telling which wire is which? Like is the wire with the writing always the same polarity?

mgalusha

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2006, 03:30 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
Yeah, so I'm not minding terminating them. But as they're currently unterminated I don't know which side is positive and which side is negative. This is when I wish I had a voltmeter of some sort.

Is there any other way of telling which wire is which? Like is the wire with the writing always the same polarity?

Brian,

Sometimes the wire with printing will be positive but it could just as well be negative. You really need a multimeter to be sure. Radio Shack has an analog meter for $15.99. It will do nicely and that's potentially less expensive than connecting something up backward.

Mike

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:37 pm »
Thanks Mike. I was afraid that'd be the answer I'd get.

I know about the battery applied to a speaker driver trick for checking the polarity of the driver. I should be able to apply that in reverse if I know the polarity of a driver, correct?

I know there's a pair of old drivers pulled out of my roommates truck around her somewhere. They're no good for listening to anything anymore, but maybe they'll work for checking the polarity of these power supplies.

Yeah, I know I should just get a good multimeter. And maybe I'll just pick up the cheap Ratshack one for now and get a nicer one later...

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2006, 07:23 pm »
For those looking into replacement PS's for the SB2/SB3 you might want to check out this thread where Mike does a lot of measuring of their power consumption.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24771

Looks to me like I'd want a supply a little bigger than a 1A one as the wireless version can draw a touch more than 1A.

jackman

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2006, 07:51 pm »
Would this be a good choice? I ordered one (it was cheap) but it hasn't arrived yet:
http://
http://www.cascadesurplus.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/856

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2006, 10:46 am »
So, it appears that this supply off of eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7571275306

Has the positive wire as the one with the writing, and the negative wire is the one with no writing & a ridge down the side. And I'll note that this is for the ones that I got that are marked with a model # of T66R-052300-0/2

Add this plug from Ratshack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102488&cp=2032058.2032231.2032284&pg=2&parentPage=family

And all should be good...

PeteG

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #19 on: 29 Jan 2006, 05:08 am »
This power supply from ebay Bubba got, turned out pretty nice. Don’t know how many he has left though. There’s a nice difference between the stock PS and this, a lot less grunge in the music and more clearer and clean. I just wired a adaptaplug socket with the right power plug on it, and it works great.

Pete

Power Supply

Inside