SB3 power supplies

dwc

Re: humming transformer
« Reply #40 on: 3 Mar 2006, 01:29 am »
Quote from: Rashiki
I bought two of the Hosfelt 1.5A power supplies mentioned in other squeezebox power supply threads. I replaced the plug on one with the appropriate one for the squeezebox and plugged it in. I didn't immediately notice an improvement in sound quality, but I did hear a faint hum coming from the power supply. My first thought was that I screwed something up, even though it seemed to be working fine, so I tried plugging in the other supply and it hums too.

Is this because I have noisy power in my home, or could both of the power supplied been damaged in shipping? What else causes hum in a transformer?

Thanks,
-Rob

I also have hosfelt supplies, and they have slight transformer hum.  They still make the SB3 sound better, but the supplies hum.

-Dan

Carlman

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #41 on: 3 Mar 2006, 03:41 am »
Quote from: Carlman
I'm excited as well!  If I can ever finish some work projects, I can have some fun comparing audio!  Right now I'm using Wayne's 'basic' power supply on a RWA modified SB3 in my office while I work.  It's a nice, smooth sound.  Compared to stock SB3 w/ stock PS it's different... But until I get it in my 'big rig' I won't be able to comment with good specifics.  

I'm hoping I get to do this next weekend.

-C

BTW, I did squeeze in a little listening session in the midst of work projects... and I didn't think buying a better (expensive) PS for the SB3 fit my goals.  It's a nice little improvement to use a linear PS over the stock unit.  It wasn't a mind-blowing change to me but it could be to someone else.

I use the SB3 in a second-system so, I'm not interested in getting the nth degree of performance, either... Room treatments are the way to go for that. ;)

-C

Charles Calkins

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #42 on: 13 Mar 2006, 10:59 pm »
Hey Guys:
 I got the Elpac power supply #WM075-1950 last Friday from Alliedec. It craped out today. I was playing my SB3 setup and all of a sudden the vue meter went crazy and no sound. I checked a few things and nothing worked. I replaced the Elpac with the Stock SB3 power supply and now everything is back to normal. Slim devices warned about changing power supplys. "May damage the SB3" I guess I got lucky. No damage.

Cheers
                      Charlie

tonyptony

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #43 on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:22 pm »
Charlie, a lot of people on audiocircle have moved to this supply with no apparent problems. Is it possible you just got a dud? Have you checked the output voltage with a meter since the problem occurred?

samplesj

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #44 on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:26 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
Hey Guys:
 I got the Elpac power supply #WM075-1950 last Friday from Alliedec. It craped out today. I was playing my SB3 setup and all of a sudden the vue meter went crazy and no sound. I checked a few things and nothing worked. I replaced the Elpac with the Stock SB3 power supply and now everything is back to normal.

What is your normal line voltage?  Maybe it fell too low for the linear to keep the voltage up.  I've run an elpac on both 2s and 3s with no problems at all.

Charles Calkins

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #45 on: 13 Mar 2006, 11:55 pm »
Right now the line voltage is 122.8. It's always at least 120.

Cheers
                 Charlie