SB3 power supplies

JDUBS

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2006, 06:22 am »
I've been holding out on a power supply for my Red Wine SB3.  This eBay supply looks like a great solution!

Looks like it might be a good candidate for mods, too.

Any ideas, anyone?

GBB

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2006, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: PeteG
This power supply from ebay Bubba got, turned out pretty nice. Don’t know how many he has left though. There’s a nice difference between the stock PS and this, a lot less grunge in the music and more clearer and clean. I just wired a adaptaplug socket with the right power plug on it, and it works great.

Pete

Pete,
I picked up a pair of these as well.  When putting the connectors on mine I managed to short one out.  The regulators aren't short circuit protected so one of mine blew its fuse.  I couldn't find an easy way to open it up so  I used my Dremel tool to cut the plastic open.  Did you find an easier way of popping the case open on yours?
While I had that one open to replace the fuse, I swapped out the diodes for some soft recovery diodes and put a 0.1uf film cap across the output.  Comparing the stock supply to the modded one didn't show a huge difference so I'm not sure its worthwhile investing too much energy.  I think the biggest thing is just getting rid of the switching supply which problably is injecting a lot of junk onto the power line and back into the rest of ones equipment.  Both versions sounded much better than the stock supply.

---Gary

tonyptony

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2006, 03:46 pm »
Gary, can you identify which regulator is used in this supply? Also, if it's not too incovenient could you post a picture of the inside?

-Tony

GBB

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2006, 04:34 pm »
Quote from: tonyptony
Gary, can you identify which regulator is used in this supply? Also, if it's not too incovenient could you post a picture of the inside?

-Tony

The supply uses two regulators in parallel.  They are both labelled SK522v which I don't recognize but the wiring is identical to a 7805, so you could replace it with a higher quality regulator.  The circuit is very simple:
Transformer to full wave rectifier (fuse in ground leg) to 12000uf capacitance to regulators, to small output electrolytic.

Mine is sealed back up and it wouldn't be convenient to take a picture.  There were some photos posted earlier in this thread.
---Gary

PeteG

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2006, 04:46 pm »
GBB, The cover was glued on and it was a pain to get off, and your right about not
being protected I also blew a fuse, that’s why I opened it. There should be better
supplies out there but these are nice for the money.

Tonyptony, I have a link to a pic in my last post.

Pete

tonyptony

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2006, 04:48 pm »
Got it. Thanks guys!

mr_bill

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jan 2006, 05:11 pm »
Pete G,
Do I understand correctly, that if I buy this power supply off of Ebay as is, that I just have to put the little 'end' on it that plugs into the back of the SB3 and I'm good to go?
If I have to open it up and do work, I'll probably pass.  I'm not much of an electronics guy.
Thnks!
Bill

Carlman

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jan 2006, 06:46 pm »
You are correct Mr. Bill.  I have 2 here... haven't had a chance to put the end on yet... been workin'.

I have a few power supplies I'm comparing at the moment.  As soon as I can, I'll post my results.

Thanks,
Carl

bubba966

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jan 2006, 01:27 am »
Pete & Gary,

How did you two manage to blow a fuse in the PS? I know I had more than a little "fun" trying to get the Ratshack plug onto the end of it. But I didn't blow any fuse on either supply I terminated.

tonyptony

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2006, 01:48 am »
Quote from: Carlman
I have a few power supplies I'm comparing at the moment.  As soon as I can, I'll post my results.

I'm on the list of people who will want to hear your thoughts on this, Carl. Can't wait!   :D

PeteG

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jan 2006, 02:35 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Pete & Gary,

How did you two manage to blow a fuse in the PS? I know I had more than a little "fun" trying to get the Ratshack plug onto the end of it. But I didn't blow any fuse on either supply I terminated.

I have no idea, I measured it and found the pos wire unplugged the PS, terminated it
plugged it back in to measure again and it was dead?

Did the exact same thing to the second PS and it worked fine.

Pete

Carlman

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jan 2006, 03:31 am »
Quote from: tonyptony
Quote from: Carlman

I'm on the list of people who will want to hear your thoughts on this, Carl. Can't wait!   :D

I'm excited as well!  If I can ever finish some work projects, I can have some fun comparing audio!  Right now I'm using Wayne's 'basic' power supply on a RWA modified SB3 in my office while I work.  It's a nice, smooth sound.  Compared to stock SB3 w/ stock PS it's different... But until I get it in my 'big rig' I won't be able to comment with good specifics.  

I'm hoping I get to do this next weekend.

-C

Charles Calkins

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #32 on: 2 Feb 2006, 12:51 am »
Okay guys it seems that the SB3 does a lot better with an upgraded power supply. I'm on my way to Mountain View next Tuesday to get one and at the same time get a demo. Eventually I'll get a real good power supply from one of the very good modders that are into this. But for the time being I'd like to get a reasonably priced power supply for the SB3. I need suggestions!! Or should I say help?

Cheers
                                Charlie

yo2tup

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #33 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:54 am »
I'm using regulated power supply with my sb3.  May not be as good as the premium ps from bolder, but its a noticable improvement over stock for cheap.  PM me, I have a couple extras I could sell.

Rashiki

humming transformer
« Reply #34 on: 5 Feb 2006, 04:40 pm »
I bought two of the Hosfelt 1.5A power supplies mentioned in other squeezebox power supply threads. I replaced the plug on one with the appropriate one for the squeezebox and plugged it in. I didn't immediately notice an improvement in sound quality, but I did hear a faint hum coming from the power supply. My first thought was that I screwed something up, even though it seemed to be working fine, so I tried plugging in the other supply and it hums too.

Is this because I have noisy power in my home, or could both of the power supplied been damaged in shipping? What else causes hum in a transformer?

Thanks,
 -Rob

Charles Calkins

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #35 on: 5 Feb 2006, 06:33 pm »
Rob:
  Years ago I had a similar problem when I bought a new preamp. There was nothing wrong with the preamp. The hum was caused by FM feedback. Apparantly the new pre was much more sensitive than the old one.

Cheers
                                Charlie

jkelly

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2006, 03:00 am »
This looks like an interesting HD 5V supply.

Ebay # 7587402237

LAMBDA LVS-44-5-B Regulated Power Supply LVS-44-5B
Output: 5V @ 5.0A

Jeff

mgalusha

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #37 on: 25 Feb 2006, 04:26 am »
I suspect the Lambda on eBay is a switching supply but probably queiter than the stock supply. I have a Lambda 35A/5V supply and it too is a switcher. I keep menaing to try it one of these days but I'll be shocked if it's better tham my overkill linear. :)

jp1

power supply
« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2006, 06:26 pm »
I have this one. quite good. plug and play.

$41

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=879-0090&SEARCH=elpac+linear+1%2E5&ID=&MPN=WM075%2D1950%2DD5&DESC=WM075%2D1950%2DD5

Allied Stk#: 879-0090
Mfr's part#: WM075-1950-D5
Manufacturer: ELPAC
Description: Linear Power Supply, 5 DIN, Single Output, Wallmount, +5/1.5 Amp Output

Allied Electronics phone number 1-800-433-5700

jp1

SB3 power supplies
« Reply #39 on: 2 Mar 2006, 12:36 am »
let me amend that last post slightly.

i'm looking at the converter right now

Elpac power systems
output 5 VDC 1.5A
input 120VAC 60Hz 0.16A
model numer: wm075-1950

I plugged it right into the back of my SB3
cheers