Folsom

Worthy audiophile rock albums.
« on: 3 Jan 2006, 01:27 am »
This is from a website I found.

Californication Red Hot Chili Peppers

Stevie Ray Vaughan The Sky is Crying Mobile Fidelity

Don Henley Building the Perfect Beast Mobile Fidelity

Pink Floyd The Wall Mobile Fidelity

Rush Moving Pictures on Mobile Fidelity (actually i love all things Rush)

The Who Tommy on Mobile Fidelity

Bob Rivers/Twisted Radio I Am Santa Claus on Atlantic for that Christmas season

Roger Waters Amused to Death on Sony Mastersound Gold CD*

Infectious Grooves Sarsippius' Ark on Epic

Metallica Metallica Warner Brothers

A few I might include.

Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust. (Yeah not the most rock album ever but good, see my other post).

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon (how can you not mention)

The Doors - Legacy The Absolute Best [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]. I find this album of The Doors to be very well remastered. The insturments are beautiful, talk about one of the most underated bands ever (not "The Doors" but the guys with Jim). The insturmentals are awsome, Jim gets way to much credit and he did not even write all the songs. For instance the hit "Light My Fire" that started them off was not his song from what I know. I just wanted to mention this due to the poor CD's that have been released over the years, for those that have never heard them on Vinyl.

Black Sabbath - Best of [LIMITED EDITION] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [DISC 1]. The limited edition is an import that I actually got at Best Buy. Funny thing I think the normal version cost more so some places like Best Buy sell the import or some thing, no complaints from me. Another remaster I really like. (Children of the Grave has great drums in it)

lonewolfny42 recommends.

Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind

Morphine - Cure For Pain

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:22 am »
Bob Rivers/Twisted Radio I Am Santa Claus on Atlantic for that Christmas season
:lol:  :xmas: Oh man, I can't believe that one's in there.  I will have to relisten to it again to see if its Hifi-erific.  The Iron Man cover is a very noble effort for sure, even though they steer clear of the guitar solo.  Definitely a case of a very crispy modern recording vs. a crusty old analog one. The majority of that Rivers disc is so campy it's difficult to bear, but an A for effort.  Sabbath albums tend towards the thin and reedy side, but hell, any recording without triggered kicks is okay by me.

Roger Waters Amused to Death on Sony Mastersound Gold CD*
Overrated.  All it really has going for it is Q-sound.  The Final Cut is much better, which is basically a Roger Waters solo record anyway.  Similar hifi-erific sound, but more enjoyable music.  Phase-reversed dog barking does not a good rock record make.

Infectious Grooves is definitely an acquired taste, but I was very impressed with the sound from their first album (on cassette no less!)

All of Metallica's stuff up to and including the Black Album\s\t is very good sounding, but I'd give the nod to Master of Puppets instead.

Older Rush can't be beat for sure.  Warm, fat, brown.  I'm very partial to the drum sound on Caress Of Steel myself.

Police - Ghost In The Machine sounds phenomenal on vinyl.

In modern times Tenacious D's debut album is very Hi-Fi.  Queens Of The Stone Age has some pretty great sonics too.

But let's not kid ourselves people, if you don't LIKE rock music don't waste your money on anything here just because the recording is good.  I made the same mistake buying all sorts of hideuously boring audiophile-approved tripe in recent years culminating with the ultimate travesty, the Sheffield Track & Drum disc. :shake: :drums: :shake:

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:33 am »
The Doors
Morrison Hotel
Regular album, no reissue:
Waiting for the Sun has incredible dynamic range.

Mine has a clipped 1.99 cutout corner.

biz

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:35 am »
...culminating with the ultimate travesty, the Sheffield Track & Drum disc.
    What !!! I like that cd (even have the lp)...it's got a good beat !!! :wink: [/list:u]

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:37 am »
I actaully do not care for Metalica. I like their acoustical stuff.... I have the black album which, hm, I like Sand Man haha.

You might find the remaster of Black Sabbath to not be quiet what you found the originals to be. I never heard them sound good before until this one. It definatly reveals their insturmental talents, which I really like. Yeah I would not go saying it show cases Ozzy's Voice, which is not a big deal for me.

Guess what Vinyl copy of The Police I own? I concure!  :D

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:39 am »
White Stripes Elephant LP
Radiohead OK Computer LP
Joni Mitchell - Blue LP
Elton John Greatest Hits Nautilus LP
Who Who's Next Classic LP
R.E.M. Murmur- LP
Clash- any UK LP pressing, especially Sandinista and London Calling
David Bowie- The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars EMI LP
Doors- entire catalogue DCC LP
Beatles entire catalogue- original UK pressings
Cat Stevens Teaser and the Firecat
Nine Inch Nails- The Fragile CD

Michael

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:44 am »
mcrespo:

Cat Stevens: I agree with Teaser, Tea for the Tillerman is another as is Catch Bull at Four.

Recently went to Amsterdam; I concentrated on buying albums I already owned, played them all except for a brand new Move: Looking On (just can't bring myself to do it yet) and I am amazed at how good they all sound: Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, McCartney, Lene Lovich's Stateless (many of the songs are slightly different versions, too), Nick Lowe's Jesus of Cool, The Band. Never realized how good regular issue vinyl could be, just different continent of origin.

Also, recently bought CS&N and Neil Young's Greatest Hits on Quiex 200g with great sound.

biz

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:46 am »
Quote from: orthobiz
mcrespo:

Cat Stevens: I agree with Teaser, Tea for the Tillerman is another as is Catch Bull at Four.

quote]

Yep, all of Cat Stevens original LP's from the 70's sound UNBELIEVABLE.

Along the lines of CSN & Y, I picked up the Neil Young greatest hits 200 gram LP from classic records and that's another stellar sounding set.

Michael

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:48 am »
Also, recently bought CS&N and Neil Young's Greatest Hits on Quiex 200g with great sound.
    CS&N...new remastered greatest hits cd does sound good as well. 8) [/list:u]

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:53 am »

Recently went to Amsterdam; I concentrated on buying albums I already owned,   ...

What a waste of a trip to Amsterdam!!!!  Drugs, check: Sex, check: Rock'N'Roll, OK you got one out of three... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:58 am »
Marbles:
You mean I shouldn't've taken the wife?????????

biz

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:58 am »
orthobiz,
    In Amsterdam, how much were the lp's going for ? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]

Gordy

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:05 am »

....  Lene Lovich's Stateless (many of the songs are slightly different versions, too), Nick Lowe's Jesus of Cool, The Band. Never realized how good regular ...

I thought I was the only Lene Lovich fan on the planet!

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:07 am »
Marbles:
You mean I shouldn't've taken the wife?????????

biz

OK, I'll give you Sex and Rock'N'Roll  :lol:

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:10 am »
In one store, 2 to 6 Euros. It was called Brutus, doesn't
have a website, but the guy said he bought out someone's
collection: the Beatle stuff and Nick Lowe
was from that collection. They all had rice paper
sleeves along with the regular sleeves and were
in very good condition sonically and visually. He had more
from this collection as best I could tell, I toyed with calling
him (no website but an Amsterdam Brutus search brings up
the store) for more.

In the Record Palace, across from the Paradiso,
6-12 Euros typically; the Move record set me back
35 Euro.

biz

SWG255

A few more suggestions on CD and vinyl
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:12 am »
Little Feat "Waiting for columbus", great on Mo-fi vinyl if you can find it, the Rhino Cd issue is very good too.

Supertramp "Crime of the Century" again on Mo-Fi, both vinyl and gold CD, hard to find but worth the hunt.

Little Feat "The last Record Album", OK on Cd, better on vinyl

Valorie Carter "Just A Stone's Throw Away" great Cd and vinyl

Crosby & Nash (their latest 2 CD set), very fine sound, especially the sound of the acoustic guitars, I don't know if this is available on vinyl.

Anybody heard the latest Pink Floyd compendium, "Echoes"? It ought to be good on Cd, hopefully nice on vinyl too. I bought for a friend the latest Dire Straits collection on vinyl, I'm looking forward to hearing it next time I get over to his place.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:18 am »
Thanks biz !!! Found the list.... http://www.channels.nl/amsterdam/all_recordstores.html ... 8)
    Marbles....notice other search op's.... :lol: [/list:u]

orthobiz

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:27 am »
Gordy:

I cannot recommend Lene Lovich's import Stateless any higher: the sound and different versions blew me away! If you are familiar with the American pressing, you'll be amazed. The song order is also different. You'll be listening for every little nuance and hearing it for the first time.

There's a CD reissue of Stateless, but I haven't checked it out. Would be interesting to know if they use the British versions.

biz

Gordy

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:39 am »
Thanks Orthobiz...

I have the Rhino cd of Stateless, lost my vinyl in the great redistribution of ought ought eighty four.   It's the american versions plus 5 later songs... It's been so long, not sure of the original track order  :?

orthobiz

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2006, 03:50 am »
Hope it's not too off topic, but I do get to Wilmington every
couple of years, Gordy. Any good vinyl there? Also, never been stereo
shopping but I understand there are some great places, no?

biz