Worthy audiophile rock albums.

Gordy

« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2006, 04:11 am »
Quote from: orthobiz
Hope it's not too off topic, but I do get to Wilmington every
couple of years, Gordy. Any good vinyl there? Also, never been stereo
shopping but I understand there are some great places, no?

biz

Maybe you're thinking of Wilmington S.C.  :lol:   We do have two stereo shops... both have gone predominently HT, but many of the bigger mainline Stereophile Advertising type names are represented.  Philly has a relatively vast selection and is only 45 mins. away and also has a good number of used vinyl shops!

Digi-G

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2006, 08:40 pm »
I think these sound pretty darn good:

Aimee Mann "Lost in Space" (regular CD issue)
Beatles "Abbey Road" (regular CD issue)
Beatles "Yellow Submarine Songbook"  (amazing sounding remaster)
Moody Blues - any of the MFSL stuff (on CD)
Elton John - any of the CD remastered early stuff (esp. Honky Chateau)
Cat Stevens - "Teaser" or  "Tea for the Tillerman" "Best of"
REM - "Murmor" or "Automatic for the People"
David Gray - "White Ladder"

PhilNYC

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2006, 08:44 pm »
The recent Rhino remasters of a number of Yes albums are fantastic (specifically Fragile and Close to the Edge).

Most Dire Straits albums are very well-recorded, as well as the recently remastered Peter Gabriel albums.

SWG255

Rhino re-masters
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2006, 09:35 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
The recent Rhino remasters of a number of Yes albums are fantastic (specifically Fragile and Close to the Edge).

Most Dire Straits albums are very well-recorded, as well as the recently remastered Peter Gabriel albums.

I've had excellent results with the Rhino re-masters I've bought, the Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" double-CD and the Paul Simon Rhino re-mastered box set. Not only do all the tracks exhibit improved sonics, but Rhino and the cooperating artists add  bonus material not found on the original discs. The Little Feat disc contains the full versions of the songs on the original double LP (both Warner and the Mo-Fi versions) and additional Little Feat material from the recording tour not found on the LPs. The Paul Simon box adds additional tracks to many of the discs, the best being alternate takes of "Diamonds in the Soles of her Shoes" from the Graceland disc.

Mathew_M

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2006, 11:42 pm »
Quote from: Digi-G
REM - "Murmor" or "Automatic for the People"

All of R.E.M.'s early stuff sounds amazing on vinyl and I doubt it was recorded in the best studios.  Automatic is quite nice too though I just played the digital version through my new Squeezebox (not fair to call it CD) and it compares very closely to the vinyl version.  OTOH I picked up New Adventures in Hi-Fi on vinyl and it totally sucks.  Bad pressing or whatever it just isn't very listenable.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #25 on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:24 am »
Californication??? You sure about that/
the boys over at www.hydrogenaudio.org consitantly claim that as one of the WORST recorded albums of all time.

Personally i enjoy all the Primus albums, Pork Soda and newer have very good SQ. Primus is an aquired taste however...

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:58 am »
That is just one listed on an audiophile website. If you notice at the end they included who made the CD. I dunno....

I have some Primus but have not listened to it on my stuff. Unfortunately all I have is an unknown EP, but know to of been recorded, and the Brown album.

Rocket

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jan 2006, 01:13 am »
Hi,

Remastered Who albums:

Tommy
Live At Leeds
Who's Next
Quadrophenia

Regards

Rod

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2006, 11:22 pm »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
That is just one listed on an audiophile website. If you notice at the end they included who made the CD. I dunno....

I have some Primus but have not listened to it on my stuff. Unfortunately all I have is an unknown EP, but know to of been recorded, and the Brown album.

The brown album is excellent. They experimented with different mic positions which makes for some interesting sounds!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 4 Jan 2006, 11:29 pm »
Let's not forget.....

Peter Frampton -- Frampton Comes Alive!

One of my favorite "rock albums". I don't have it on CD but do have a perfect copy on vinyl.

Antman27

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2006, 02:44 am »
I Kick my self in the @$$ all the time -when the Wiz closed down they had
Stevie Ray Vaughan The Sky is Crying Mobile Fidelity a bunch of them for $32 & I did not pick ONE up & now it is a furtune and hard to find them also  SACD COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER

mca

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2006, 03:08 am »
Speaking of Primus, the album Frizzle Fry is also excellent.

Folsom

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2006, 10:19 am »
Rage Against The Machine - I have Evil Empire, Rage Against The Machine that are definatly good.

sts9fan

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2006, 12:58 pm »
On the Les Claypool kick I highly rcommend "Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel:Highball with the Devil" Much less heavy then Primus and Les' supernatural bass skills are as usual jaw dropping. Also check out Oysterhead "Grand Pecking Order" which is Les with Trey Anastasio and Stewart Copeland. Some really amazing sounds on that album.

Off the Les

I have been really digging Surfjan Stevens "Come on Feel the Illinoise"

nickspicks

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2006, 01:31 pm »
Bob Dylan "Time out of Mind"

I can't believe nobody mentioned this.  Its the best fidelity i've ever heard on any comercial release.  the engineering is absolutly masterful.  It has a very "old timey" sound to it that is just so 1930's, but modern.  
It didn't win the 1998 "album of the year" grammy for nothing.

Another really good one is the David Grisman / Jerry Garcia "Pizza tapes".  recorded in Grismans basement.  mostly jam sessions and and just great stuff in general.  lots of fun bantor.

JoshK

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2006, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
Rage Against The Machine - Any album as far as I know. I have People of the Sun, Rage Against The Machine, and The Battle of Los Angeles. All of them are great.

I have them all too, but TBOLA is a terrible recording!  Great music but the recording is positively awful and is painful to listen to except for in my car or on my mp3 player.

Some good rock music that is recorded well, and not already mentioned, are Faith No More - Epic, Morphine - Cure for Pain.

Marbles

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:09 pm »
One thing that I noticed going to a PC based system, is that some CD's that I thought were recorded badly, when I played them on a CDP, actually sound very good when played back on my computer based system.

I suspect that the problem was the CD pressing was piss poor.  This introduced a lot of jitter.  Burned to hard drive with EAC, and the jitter problem disapeared and the CD sounds pretty steller.  The most obvious one like this is John Mellencamps - Scarecrow.

nathanm

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2006, 04:04 pm »
I heartily concur with all the Primus recommendations.  "Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel:Highball with the Devil"  is especially very HiFi-esque sounding.

For true audiophile nerdidity you must check out The Fucking Champs as they spell out their gear and recording processes (right down to the brand of razor blades used to splice the tape) right in the liner notes.  But you don't need them really because the sound speaks for itself. :)  I just about fell out of my chair when somebody reviewed them in Stereophile.  Nice to see.

On the other end of the spectrum you can't beat the massive sound of Cianide "The Dying Truth"

One good dose of "Mindscrape" is enough to get me through the day. :rock:  The drums are nice and high in the mix with a beautifully snappy snare drum.  Why most metal albums aren't recorded this heavily is a mystery.  If they are using drum triggers here I sure couldn't tell.

ricmon

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2006, 06:14 pm »
A must listen to is the B52's  The B52's  - simply amazing bass and guitar.

Funkadelic -  Comsmic Slop and Let's Take It To The Stage

War - All Day Music and The World is A Gehtto

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2006, 06:46 pm »
TBOLA is not quiet as good as the other two I have. However it is not bad, I retract recommending it now that you mention it. I am playing it through Foobar2000 FLAC I should mention. It lacks a little some thing.