Brucemck

Re: New BG neo 10 planars
« Reply #41 on: 24 Apr 2010, 05:54 pm »
OjoF00l ... How do they sound?

ojof00l

« Reply #42 on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:16 am »
OjoF00l ... How do they sound?

excellent mids from the neo10s and hf- crystal clear down to the minute details from the neo3s

im no diyr so i just had a baffle built originally to bg z92 specs. cant find fast 6.5" drivers so i just lined up the 4 neo10s. its like having 2 bookshelves on top of each other coz i have 2 b&g x3 crossovers inside.

one xover's bass and mid are connected to the two lower neo10s and the other xover's bass and mid for the two upper neo10s. the tweeter connection of the xover is connected to the neo3 tweeters.

the bg x3 spec states that bass will be up to 500hz and the mids up to 2.4khz.

ive driven it with 2 stealth modded sonic-impact amps in a mono-mono config so its 15wpc. also with virtue one amp, an allied333 aka pioneer s45x 6bm8 tube receiver, a locally-made amx el34 pp power amp with diy 12sn7 preamp and a cambridge audio azur340r audio video receiver

oh btw, im using a bay audio cube 10"subwoofer with 10" passive radiator to handle the lower frequencies.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #43 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:34 pm »
Back to Telstar's question:  has anyone tried/tested the new BG Neo 8-s?

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 26 Apr 2010, 07:15 pm »
Back to Telstar's question:  has anyone tried/tested the new BG Neo 8-s?

They are not available yet.

clyde

« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2010, 09:36 pm »
BG is using Neo8-S drivers in the 2-way line array design for their own LA-550 in-wall speaker.  Crossover is specified at 270 hz!

Neo8-S drivers appear to be available now in Europe based on a Google search.  Hopefully this will happen in the US soon.

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:29 pm »
I have all the spec sheets on those drivers. There was a very small run of them made for one company in Germany. Right now, that's all there is. More will be made soon and will be available if I want them.

clyde

« Reply #48 on: 28 Apr 2010, 02:15 am »
The specs posted at the German distributor's Web site suggest that the new Neo8-S is a game changer.  I would definitely be interested in building a pair of line arrays if Danny can get the drivers and provide a design optimized for the frequency response of the new drivers.

Voiceray

« Reply #49 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:39 pm »
I have all the spec sheets on those drivers. There was a very small run of them made for one company in Germany. Right now, that's all there is. More will be made soon and will be available if I want them.

Would it be possible to match the Neo8-S or the Neo10 up with the SW12-16 OB Servo subs in H-frame?  If so, what configuration would you promote? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:51 pm »
I do have some Neo 10 designs on the drawing board and plenty of units here to test with. However, right now they will not be made available for individual sale. They will be used in some really world class products later this year.

The Neo8-S kind of answers a question that wasn't really being asked.

It does not play quite as high as the standard Neo8. It peaks at 10kHz and drops off pretty quickly, while the standard Neo 8 and pdr version can play up to a peak at 13kHz and gradually rolls off after. A notch filter or use of them in an array can alter the response to be really smooth to 13kHz and only having a gentle roll off afterwards that only drops a db or so to 20kHz. 

It does play lower than the standard Neo8, but in a line source application I can already cross the Neo8 as low as 850Hz. Crossing it any lower kind of drops it into that no mans land range. 300Hz to 500Hz is the heart of the mid-range and I wouldn't want to allow a crossover too close to that range if possible. I'd rather be below it and no higher than 200Hz or be higher and no lower than 850Hz.

So playing lower doesn't give you much of an advantage.

Hank

« Reply #51 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm »
300Hz to 500Hz is the heart of the mid-range and I wouldn't want to allow a crossover too close to that range if possible.
Agreed.  So, a line of regular Neo-8's should suffice.  Maybe include a shorter line of Neo-3's to keep the top octave strong?

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm »
Agreed.  So, a line of regular Neo-8's should suffice.  Maybe include a shorter line of Neo-3's to keep the top octave strong?

The standard and pdr Neo8's actually play up to 40kHz. So I don't see a need to add additional tweeters.

Hank

« Reply #53 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:55 pm »
One user said this about Neo-8: "Requires eq to bring the highs up to level but this is best as a midrange."  I've been told that by a few others also.  One DIY-er posted that he added Neo-3's to his line of Neo-8's and his older ears could definitely tell the diff and the sound was more live.  If you go to the PE website, they say both versions go to 20kHz, but if you go to their catalog page (which was cut and pasted from the BG catalog), it says both versions go to 18KHz, and surely that's at -xdB down - maybe 3 dB?  Bottom line is that I'm almost convinced to go with a line of Neo-3's beside a line of Neo-8's.  Of course what I really need, is to do comparison listening to a speaker with 8's and one with 8's and 3's and I don't know where I could accomplish that.
Interesting subject though :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:58 pm »
It makes no sense trying to add a row of Neo3's to Neo8's.

First of all, most people try to do that and cross it fairly high. What you then get is a mess in the response due to the cancellation effects off axis in either direction. It is almost exactly like what I explained (with measurements) in this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79482.40

Also, a long line of Neo3's can be crossed as low as 1000Hz in a line source application just depending on the length of the line. If the Neo3's can cross that low than there is no sense in adding a more complex crossover, causing potential phase shifts, and off axis cancellations for no gain at all.

The only negative to using a line of the Neo3's verses a line of Neo8's is that it cost more.

DFaulds

« Reply #55 on: 29 Apr 2010, 11:38 am »
Danny, thanks for the good, common sense explanation.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #56 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:26 pm »
Danny,
Are you saying that a 3 way with a BG8 and BG3 is not really a good idea?

Howard

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:33 pm »
Well, if a standard Neo 3 pdr can be crossed as low as 1,800Hz and a single Neo 8 will get you to a crossover point of 1,000Hz then you really aren't gaining a lot from that.

It can easily be made to work and the result can be great, but from a cost to performance standpoint it might not be well worth the additional cost.

Raiderone

« Reply #58 on: 29 Apr 2010, 10:49 pm »
It does play lower than the standard Neo8, but in a line source application I can already cross the Neo8 as low as 850Hz. Crossing it any lower kind of drops it into that no mans land range. 300Hz to 500Hz is the heart of the mid-range and I wouldn't want to allow a crossover too close to that range if possible. I'd rather be below it and no higher than 200Hz or be higher and no lower than 850Hz.
So playing lower doesn't give you much of an advantage.

Would an array of (8) Neo8 per side mated to (10 or 12) M130 or M165 first order @1000Hz sound good?  Or do I need to use a second order filter?

Hank

« Reply #59 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:43 am »
It makes no sense trying to add a row of Neo3's to Neo8's.
  Well, I try to make no sense at least once a week!

...from a cost to performance standpoint it might not be well worth the additional cost.
  Since this might be my last uber speaker, I would not mind the added cost.  I REALLY need to hear some line source arrays with the different Neo combo's  :?