Aksa amp demos in Brisbane, Australia?

hired goon

« on: 8 Sep 2005, 04:42 am »
G'day,

I am looking for anyone in Brisbane Australia that is willing to demo an Aksa amplifier. I have heard a lot about these amps, so I'd like to hear one in person if possible.

I currently have a Rotel RMB-1095 5x200w amp, a Rotel RB-1090 2x380w amp, and an ME550-II 2x100 amp. My speakers are VAF I-93 but I am looking to replace these, possibly with Equinox Audio Apogee. I heard these speakers driven by a ME550-II and thought the sound was beaut, but I've heard that an ME850 amp is even better for the Apogees. However, an ME850 amp is heard to come by and costs many thousands of dollars, which is why I am checking out Aksa as an alternative.

But only if I can get a chance to hear one.

--Geoff

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2005, 05:55 am »
Michael, Matthew, Ian and quite a few others,

Are any of you guys willing to give Geoff a listen?

I would be most grateful....... :thankyou:

Cheers,

Hugh

Greg Erskine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2005, 06:48 am »
Hi hired goon,

I'd like a dollar for every time I read "I have VAF I-93 but I am looking to replace these, possibly with Equinox Audio Apogee". One review certainly has rattled a few VAF owners.  :D

I did read that the Equinox Audio Apogee went down to 2 ohms but I'd double check that as you can't believe all you read, especially by me.  :mrgreen:

I'm sure that an AKSA 100 would work well with the VAF I-93.

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2005, 07:01 am »
Yes, indeed, the 100 goes well with the VAF I-93, no question, have a customer here in Melbourne town who swears by it.

However, while a very good speaker, it has come under criticism here for its rudimentary 1st order crossover, and the fact that it relies on mechanical crossover concepts.   A good friend built up a 3rd order crossover with impedance correction and the results were stunning with a 100N+.

Cheers,

Hugh

rookster

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2005, 09:53 am »
Hi hired goon,

As Hugh as mentioned, I (Michael) am in Brisbane and an Aksa customer, however I only have my Aksonics up and running.  I am still building my 4 channels of 55N+ amplifiers and the GK-1 preamp.  I do hope to have the amps finished in a couple of  months.  Holidays and work keep getting in the way.  So I can't really help you there.

Ian (Bluesky) has a 55N, but he has been having all sorts of computer problems and he is still setting up his system, so he is a little hard to get hold of.  However he is just as enthusiastic as I am about Aksa products.

I did have the privelege of visiting Hugh in Melbourne last year and hear his Aksa 100N.  It was most impressive and further convinced me to buy some amplifiers.

bluesky

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2005, 10:14 am »
Hi

I would be happy for Mr Goon to borrow my amp for a few days.  As Rookster mentioned I have been having any amount of problems with my email and phone recently and I am still setting up my system.  The amp is in a new case and I am working on a new case for the TLP so I would be happy for it to be borrowed for a couple of days for audioning.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

Bluesky

rookster

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2005, 11:15 am »
Bluesky / Ian,

Good to see you back again.

I bet the VAF / Aksa combination would be fantastic

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2005, 11:21 am »
Mike, Ian,

many thanks to both of you for responding and being so generous.

Ian, I'm sorry you are having email problems;  hope you and your children are well and that life is treating you passably.

At least you did not have to tolerate very cold conditions south of the Mason Dixon recently.  Brrrrrrrrrr...............!!

Thanks again,

Hugh

hired goon

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2005, 12:07 pm »
G'day,

First up thanks everyone for the replies.

Quote from: Greg Erskine
I'd like a dollar for every time I read "I have VAF I-93 but I am looking to replace these, possibly with Equinox Audio Apogee". One review certainly has rattled a few VAF owners.

Do you mean Mondie's review of VAF I-93 vs Jupiter?

The VAF I-93s are detailed and go down low, but are a bit forward in the midrange for my liking (but that seems to be the VAF sound, especially the DC-X, and lots of people love 'em, so what do I know?). After hearing the Apogee, however, I knew I had found the sound I was looking for (although I still pine for the B&W 802D...)

I did read that the Equinox Audio Apogee went down to 2 ohms but I'd double check that as you can't believe all you read, especially by me.

Rick @ Equinox assures me that the unusually low impedance is correct, due to the array of the drivers.

One thing I should ask: the Aksa can drive such a load without problems? The Apogee have 94dB efficiency, so I assume not much strain is placed on the amp for reasonable volumes. The VAF I-93 are 3 ohms nominal and 89dB, which means more strain on the amp. My Rotels (rated to 4 ohm) drive the I-93 and Apogee without problems, but these have circuitry protection just in case. And the ME550-II is stable down to 0.5 ohm (apparently).  What about the Aksa?

I'm sure that an AKSA 100 would work well with the VAF I-93.

Maybe. It would be interesting to hear that combination. Though my understanding is that the VAFs require a "warmer" amp to bring out the best sound. I'm assuming that the Aksa amps are neutral.

Quote from: AKSA
However, while a very good speaker, it has come under criticism here for its rudimentary 1st order crossover, and the fact that it relies on mechanical crossover concepts. A good friend built up a 3rd order crossover with impedance correction and the results were stunning with a 100N+.

I contacted someone once who performed a crossover modification (not sure if it's the same as above), but the estimate was around $1000, which was a bit too much for an experimental modification. I would be interested in hearing about the modification suggested above.

Quote from: bluesky
I would be happy for Mr Goon to borrow my amp for a few days.

Thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch. Although is it safe to drive the I-93 with a 55N?

--Geoff

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2005, 10:12 pm »
Geoff,

The 55 will drive down to 3.5R without problems;  the 100W, down to 2.5R.  You could drive the I-93 with a 55N to moderate levels, and it would sound pretty good, but a 100W will be better.

Speakers with 2R impedance or lower have serious question marks over their design in my view.  The problem is that driving very low impedance speakers requires heavy duty output stages, and the more devices there are in the output stage the more detail is lost in unsynchronized switching.  Pro-amps will handle these loads of course, but few of them sound any good from a high end perspective.  Obviously this becomes a self-defeating exercise.  Better to design for no lower than 3R, though this takes genuine creativity if multiple drivers are used.

I'd describe the AKSAs as warm rather than neutral.

Crossover mods on VAFs would cost you about $400 down here from Ron Newbound, but from Brisbane you will be struggling to audition one. I guess there are some things you are almost forced to take on trust, as there is no way he would reveal the secrets to you.  Heck, he won't even tell me the details, and fair enough too!  He makes his living from this.....

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2005, 01:13 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Geoff,

The 55 will drive down to 3.5R without problems;  the 100W, down to 2.5R.  You could drive the I-93 with a 55N to moderate levels, and it would sound pretty good, but a 100W will be better.

Speakers with 2R impedance or lower have serious question marks over their design in my view.  The problem is that driving very low impedance speakers requires heavy duty output stages, and the more devices there are in the output stage the more detail is lost in unsynchronized switching.  Pro-amps will hand ...

How true that is.  I have exactly the same problems with my Axis LS 88's.  I found biamping made a big difference. Worth a shot IMHO

Thanks
Bill

bacworth

Happy to help
« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2005, 01:40 am »
Hi Geoff

I am happy to help and I have similar speakers, the Seas Odin kit. Call me on 0411878838, I am in New Farm.

cheers,
Brent

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2005, 02:32 am »
Hi Brent,

Interesting situation, pity you've upgraded.

A stock 100W AKSA on a scale of 5/10 average, 10/10 perfection (whatever the heck that is!) would return about 7/10.  A Nirvana is 8/10.  A Nirvana Plus is 9.2/10.  These ratings are pretty much consensus figures from this forum over the years.

Do point this out to Geoff if he auditions your 100W.........   :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2005, 03:45 am »
Geoff,

You seem to me to be approaching buying a kit amp from a retail frame of mind.   :nono:

Firstly you said:
Quote from: hired goon
After hearing the Apogee, however, I knew I had found the sound I was looking for (although I still pine for the B&W 802D...)

If that's the sound you like - I suggest you buy an ME550 (but can you actually audition one, now that they've gone out of business?).  If you can but it's beyond your price point then you have to either compromise or find some other way to to achieve an eargasm.   :)

One "other way" is to buy an AKSA and build yourself a really great sounding AKSA for a pittance, compared to retail prices.  Some people (like me) get pleasure out of achieving something like this ... as well as listening to the resulting lovely music; if you are not turned on by DIY then an AKSA is not for you.

It seems there are several AKSA sites in Brisbane so you can go and listen to the "AKSA sound".  But, of course, everything in these systems will be different to what you have in yours, so I guess you need to take one of your Rotels along, to provide some reference point.

Re. your other question:
... is it safe to drive the I-93 with a 55N?

--Geoff

Well, if it really is 2 ohms and you listen at headbanging levels ... even the AKSA 100 may have problems.  However, be aware that I drive my Maggie IIIa ribbons directly (active crossover) with an AKSA 25 (which is a 55 with lower rail voltages ... and better sound!!) with absolutely no problems.  The ribbon is a 3 ohm, almost purely resistive, load.

Finally, re. the ME amp; we are of course talking about different models but, 15 or so years ago I bought a Naim amp from the Melbourne dealer because he played it against an ME - and the Naim won hands down!  3 years ago, I compared one of my Naim amps against an AKSA - and the AKSA beat the pants off it!  So I sold my 3 Naim amps and bought AKSAs and have never regretted it!

Regards,

Andy

Greg Erskine

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2005, 07:24 am »
Do you mean Mondie's review of VAF I-93 vs Jupiter?

Probably. I told you I don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.  :mrgreen:

No more talk about ME amps, I starting to feel some aus.hi-fi twitches. I don't like were this discussion will lead.  :nono:

AKSA

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2005, 10:40 am »
Ah, yes Greg,

Should we politely invite Trevor to visit our harmonious forum?

Cneers,

Hugh

Greg Erskine

« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2005, 12:01 pm »
I think not.

Geoff-AU

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2005, 03:21 am »
eek.  don't get aus.hi-fi in here whatever you do :)

I'd be interested to A/B with an ME amp again these days, maybe once I get my AKSA going I can have a 3 way with my old sansui AU-101, the AKSA 55, and something commercial that's a fair bit dearer :D

andyr

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2005, 08:07 am »
Quote from: Geoff-AU
eek.  don't get aus.hi-fi in here whatever you do :)

I'd be interested to A/B with an ME amp again these days, maybe once I get my AKSA going I can have a 3 way with my old sansui AU-101, the AKSA 55, and something commercial that's a fair bit dearer :D
Hi Geoff,

With respect (I used to have a Sansui AU101 about 20 years ago!), thinking to compare this against an AKSA is like having a wine tasting to compare Ben Ean "moselle" against the genuine Rhine article ... except, of course, you can make an AKSA but you'll have to buy the mosel!

Regards,

Andy

Geoff-AU

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2005, 08:27 am »
For what it is (hell, it was a cheap amp in its day!) it really sounds quite likeable.  It was compared (on a friend's VAF DC-7's) with a NAD C320 and ME24/550 combo a few years ago and to my surprise it was the C320 which sounded absolutely terrible.

However, I fully expect the AKSA to be much better in every department :) (and will be upgrading my speakers to suit once everything is built and tested!)