Aksa amp demos in Brisbane, Australia?

DSK

« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2005, 08:54 am »
A while back, I heard the ME amps at several Melbourne HiFi shows. They were nice sounding amps but somehow I was never really impressed. Subsequently I purchased the Plinius SA100 mk3 which was clearly superior to my ears. The Plinius served me well until I A/B'd it at length against the AKSA 100N+ in my system and found it couldn't match the AKSA.

While it seemed strange to replace the well known and acclaimed Plinius (Stereophile class A) with a relatively unknown and much cheaper DIY amp, my ears, my tapping foot, and the grin on my face made it an easy decision. The Plinius had been a significant improvement over the Rotel 125w monoblocks I had previously and the other amps I had compared it to (Electrocompaniet, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Perreaux, etc).

To try to put it into context, with relative scores out of 10:
Rotel monoblocks = 7.5/10
AKSA 100  = 8/10
Plinius SA100 mk3  = 8.5/10
AKSA 100N+  = 9/10

Geoff-AU

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2005, 11:05 am »
That's leading into the foot tapping brigade vs the measurabators debate... how many tangents can we take in this thread? :lol:

Oh, if anyone has a copy of the Jupiter vs I-93 review I'd love to read it.  VAF's speakers have always been somewhat clinical in my opinion, but I remember enjoying Equinox's speakers quite a bit when I listened to them.

AKSA

« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2005, 10:13 am »
Hi Geoff,

How are you going seeking an AKSA to listen to, Geoff?  Anything I can do to help here?

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2005, 12:08 pm »
Quote from: DSK
... While it seemed strange to replace the well known and acclaimed Plinius (Stereophile class A) with a relatively unknown and much cheaper DIY amp, my ears, my tapping foot, and the grin on my face made it an easy decision.  ...
Hi darren,

What were you smoking that night??   :P

Regards,

Andy

DSK

« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2005, 12:24 am »
Quote from: andyr
Quote from: DSK
... While it seemed strange to replace the well known and acclaimed Plinius (Stereophile class A) with a relatively unknown and much cheaper DIY amp, my ears, my tapping foot, and the grin on my face made it an easy decision.  ...
Hi darren,

What were you smoking that night??   :P

Regards,

Andy

Whatever it was, it has had a permanent effect as the same physical reactions are occurring many months later :lol:  :hyper:  :bounce:
Aside from performing very well against the typical audiophile checklist, the AKSA simply brings me closer to the live performance.

In the past, I was so intent on identifying weaknesses in the sound from my system, that every listening session inadvertantly became a 'critical listening' session. This meant focussing intently on weaknesses and I would usually be irritable at the end of the session (and have a stiff neck) as a result. :evil:    Nowadays I am able to relax and enjoy the artistry of the musical performance, rather than focussing on individual audiophile parameters and the system itself. Obviously this is a system synergy thing (and no system is perfect), but the AKSA 100N+ and GK-1 combo has been the biggest factor in getting me to this point.
 :notworthy:

andyr

« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2005, 09:33 am »
Absoloootely, mate!!

I may not have been so focussed on identifying "weaknesses" as you but now with my AKSA/GK-1 combination (and EVEN FURTHER tweaked Maggies!), I just revel in the music!

And BTW, Hugh's new head amp means I can now utilise the GK-1 phono stage (which has a bit too low a gain for my low-output MC), so my eargasms are even more "earth-moving"!   :D

Regards,

Andy

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2005, 10:34 am »
Hi there,

Apologees for the late reply to this one. I am in brisbane and I have an Aksa 100W Nirvana, and I am most happy to have anyone come visit for a listen and perhaps a refrrshing beverage. I have just bought some new speakers which arrived esterday and am enjoying these a great deal. They are the B&W 805s's. Have not had too much of a chance to have a good listen but they sound great so far, due in no small part to the Aksa. I am a bee's dick away from having the GK-1 finished too which should be interesting too.

Cheers
Matt

bluesky

« Reply #27 on: 15 Sep 2005, 10:43 am »
Hi Matt

It is great to hear of your developments with your various components.

I can feel another meeting of us Aksaphiles coming on the next couple of months.  I guess it must be my turn this time around!

Let's keep in touch so we can do this in a month or two's time.

Cheers

Bluesky

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2005, 10:46 am »
Sounds great Ian, Would love to catch up again. My other achievements since we last met include having a daughter. Life is never dull!

Bring on the Bris-Vegas Aksa-Spectacular II!

Cheers
Matt

hired goon

« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2005, 01:59 am »
G'day,

Quote from: AKSA
Hi Geoff,
How are you going seeking an AKSA to listen to, Geoff?  Anything I can do to help here?

Apologies, I have been very busy lately and haven't had a chance to check out this forum or find any time to arrange a demo. Thanks to everyone who responded, and I'll try to get in touch.

--Geoff