Audiophile outreach program!

brj

« on: 20 Jul 2005, 02:52 am »
Hi guys...

PhilNY of SonicSpirits in New York has most generously offered to ship us some gear to audition that I don't believe is available for sale in the DFW area.  (If I'm wrong, please let me know!)  Since he is shipping from NY, the plan would be to focus on some of the smaller, lighter weight items.  His initial thought was offer up one or more of the following:

-Blue Circle NSCS Integrated
-Focus Audio FS68SE monitors
-Focus Audio FS688 monitors
-Resolution Audio Opus 21 cdp

I'll be happy to coordinate transfers, but the catch is that we need:

1) Someone willing to host the jam session (at their convenience)
2) Commitments from attendees to chip in toward insured return shipping (although I'm sure Phil wouldn't mind if someone decided to send him a credit card number toward a purchase instead)

So, what say you, NTAJ?  Are we interested enough to take Phil up on his offer?

All comments welcome, and thanks!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2005, 02:33 am »
What's happening !!!!
    Look at this offer from PhilNYC...shipping out Blue Circle equipement and Focus speakers...for a Texas get-together...wow !!! :hyper: [/list:u]
      And I'm looking.... and no one responds.... :? [/list:u]
        Are you guy's alive...or is it the heat ?[/list:u]
          I've heard that equipement...don't miss out.[/list:u]
            And trust me...nothing like getting together with fellow members for a few beer's and some good tunes on some excellent equipement ![/list:u]
    Hey Ho ...Let's Go !!!!![/list:u]

art

• Industry Participant
      • Analog Research-Technology
    It is the heat..........
    « Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2005, 02:44 am »
    The audio world is usually dead until after the State Fair.

Pat

kyyuan

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2005, 03:45 am »
    I would host it...BUT, my house doesn't close until 8/30, assuming everything goes well.  It'll be in Fort Worth.

Also, I would love to hear a pair of Salk speakers.

brj

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2005, 03:21 pm »
    Quote from: kyyuan
    I would host it...BUT, my house doesn't close until 8/30, assuming everything goes well.  It'll be in Fort Worth.

Congrats on the new house!  Heck, if you're feeling sneaky, you could still offer to host the jam and then accidentally "draft" some attendees to help move in! :)

Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Are you guy's alive...or is it the heat ?

Frankly, listening to gear sounds like a prime means of heat avoidance!  (Projected Fort Worth high temperatures for the next 5 days, compliments of wunderground.com, are 99, 101, 102, 98, 98.  And it isn't a dry heat!)

Quote from: art
    The audio world is usually dead until after the State Fair.

The TX state fair this year runs from 9/30 - 10/23.  I hope we don't have to wait that long!

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2005, 03:29 pm »
    How many folks typically turn out?  I'll be a candidate but my main listening room really is only good for 4 or 5 people at a time.  I do have a second family room that we could set up another system in.  My wife is away on a girls weekend in NYC right now, I'll hit her up when she gets back, and I have some leverage :lol:

brj

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2005, 05:56 pm »
    Quote from: arthurs
    How many folks typically turn out?  I'll be a candidate but my main listening room really is only good for 4 or 5 people at a time.  I do have a second family room that we could set up another system in.

Turnout varies quite a bit depending on advertising.  The first get-together at Shooter's had 13 people total, but not all at once.  RuSsMaN's jam was substantially larger, but that was primarily due to the inclusion of the Dallas Audio Club.  The meet at Brian's place was only 5 people total.

My wife is away on a girls weekend in NYC right now, I'll hit her up when she gets back, and I have some leverage :lol:

:lol:  Does that involve bribery?

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2005, 06:01 pm »
    The weekend in NYC is the bribe..... :D

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2005, 06:41 pm »
    How many folks typically turn out?  I'll be a candidate but my main listening room really is only good for 4 or 5 people at a time.  I do have a second family room that we could set up another system in.

In the NY Audio Rave, we leave it up to the host to decide the rules of the gatherings.  If someone wants to host, but is only comfortable having 7-8 people in their home, then they ask for a RSVP with first-come-first-serve and a limit of what they feel comfortable with.  It's been particularly important to do this in NYC, because many people have very small apartments.

My wife is away on a girls weekend in NYC right now, I'll hit her up when she gets back, and I have some leverage :lol:

Hey, are they coming to the NY Rave on Saturday??  :lol:

audioslave

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2005, 07:24 pm »
    C'mon guys-this is a great opportunity and you definitely need to take advantage of this one. I recently broke-in a set of Focus FS-68SE's for Phil with the NSCS Integrated and it was a power-house combo. The synergy was crisp and detailed yet musically engaging! I am currently breaking in the FS-688's and all I can say is "more". The bigger brother offers more of what you get with the FS-68's-still keeping true to the Focus house sound. The imaging on  both these speakers is quite amazing and should leave a very positive impression on you.
    Matter of fact, I will be in the "LoneStar" sometime in August. May just be able to make it to your rave! 8)

kyyuan

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2005, 07:39 pm »
    If schedule permits, I'm in.

May be we should contact Jason at NuForce to demo one of his new amps.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
    « Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:10 pm »
    count me in, what we can do is have a refreashment/food/conversation room and rotate in and out of the sound room or like you said have two sound rooms.
    I'm trying to get the usher distributor to host but he's out of town untill next week. he might have some belles 350a reference monoblocks in and i'd like to hear the blue circle with some ushers.

marvin

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:17 pm »
    Guys, if you're going to do this soon, let me know.  I actually am headed on a trip to Tokyo next week, so if I need to send something, I need to do it tomorrow or Monday...

(if you want the Focus FS-688, audioslave has them and can ship them out from his place)...

kyyuan

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2005, 12:09 am »
    Quote from: PhilNYC
    Guys, if you're going to do this soon, let me know.  I actually am headed on a trip to Tokyo next week, so if I need to send something, I need to do it tomorrow or Monday...

(if you want the Focus FS-688, audioslave has them and can ship them out from his place)...

Unless someone quickly steps up to the plate of hosting, it's going to be tough to put something together before you leave.  As you know, audiophiles are at best a  caparicious bunch.   :?  :mrgreen:

brj

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2005, 12:23 am »
    Right now, we have one "maybe" for a host (arthurs) and he won't know for sure until probably next week when he can apply "leverage"! :)  As such, I don't think we need to rush shipping just yet.  Phil, when do you get back from Tokyo?

I would definitely love to see this happen, but let's get a committed host lined up first, and let him set the date, visitor limits and focus of the session.  We don't want to overload the jam or bring in so much gear that people can't listen to it all.  Besides, I'd rather have two jams! :)

Hopefully, Stan (at Usher) will be able to host one focused on the gear of his choice (presumably using Usher speakers), and arthurs or someone else can host another one aimed at taking up Phil on his offer.  (Don't forget we will need to split return insured shipping costs as well.)

Between this and other NTAJ threads, it sounds like there is a lot of interest in an amp shootout.  If we ever arrange that, I'd be interested in hearing both the nuForce and the BlueCircle, and maybe we could get Gary Dodd to bring in a pair of his 120W monos to represent the honor and glory of the tube camp.  But I digress...

To the point at hand - arthurs, let us know if you can host, and in the meantime others should feel free to offer as well.

PhilNYC

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2005, 01:04 am »
    ky and brj, no worries...I'm only going to Tokyo for a week.  It sounded like you guys were targeting two weeks out, and that would have meant I would have had to ship next week.  As it stands, it sounds fine...

arthurs

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2005, 01:12 am »
    i'll know more on Monday and will keep everyone apprised.  I'd love to hear my Cary SS Mono's alongside some other amps as well.

nuforce

• http://www.nuforce.com
    « Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2005, 06:31 am »
    Is NTAJ on August 30?
    We can't spare the resource to go there and we don't have any dealer in Texas. Any dealer in Texas want to represent us?
    If not, we might be able to consider providing Reference 9 for audition but someone has to take responsibility for it.

Jason

cryoparts

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2005, 02:03 pm »
    Quote from: nuforce
    Is NTAJ on August 30?
    We can't spare the resource to go there and we don't have any dealer in Texas. Any dealer in Texas want to represent us?
    If not, we might be able to consider providing Reference 9 for audition but someone has to take responsibility for it.

Jason

Guys, let me know the finalized date and, if I can make it, I'll take responsibility for the NuForce (if he's willing) and I'll bring some of my power cables, record weights and other goodies along for y'all to mess with.

But...it all depends on a firm date.  Post that soon (or PM me) and I'll let you know if I can work it out.

BTW--That was AMAZING of Phil to ship that gear all the way down here for a meeting.  Bravo!  Let's make him an honorary Texan.  :D

Regards,

Lee

brj

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:11 pm »
    Quote from: cryoparts
    Guys, let me know the finalized date and, if I can make it, I'll take responsibility for the NuForce (if he's willing) and I'll bring some of my power cables, record weights and other goodies along for y'all to mess with.

Arthurs has to confirm that:
      a) he can actually host (let's hope his wife had a really good weekend in NY! :) )
      b) an actual date.[/list:u]
      I say we wait on the nuForce until the last minute, as there will probably be some more revisions! :)  Are we in a rotation for that amp with some other people, or can they just send us one from the factory whenever we are ready for it?

Quote from: cryoparts
    BTW--That was AMAZING of Phil to ship that gear all the way down here for a meeting.  Bravo!  Let's make him an honorary Texan.  :D

Or does it make us honorary members of the NY Rave?  :D
    I've always enjoyed NY the handful of time I've visited...