Audiophile outreach program!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:11 pm »
hello phil can you give us a rough estimate of shipping costs lets say to zip 76131?

PhilNYC

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23 pm »
Lee and brj...am always happy to do stuff like this!  And hey...remember that I'm the one that came up with "North Texas Audio Jam"...can't name the circle and then just leave it hanging...  8)

Marv...the Blue Circle NSCS integrated would cost about $40 to ship.  It is the heaviest piece on the list, so everything else would cost less...

marvda1

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2005, 04:08 pm »
maybe this time we can focus on amps and sources and the next meeting (hopefully stan) we can focus on speakers.

marvin

brj

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2005, 04:18 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Lee and brj...am always happy to do stuff like this!  And hey...remember that I'm the one that came up with "North Texas Audio Jam"...can't name the circle and then just leave it hanging...  8)

Forgot about that - thanks!

Quote from: PhilNYC
Marv...the Blue Circle NSCS integrated would cost about $40 to ship.  It is the heaviest piece on the list, so everything else would cost less...

Wow, I figured the speakers would be the most expensive.  That critter must be heavy!

For reference, let us know who you want to use for shipping and what insured values you want to use.  There is no hurry on this yet, and feel free to do it via PM if you like.

Quote from: marvda1
maybe this time we can focus on amps and sources and the next meeting (hopefully stan) we can focus on speakers.

Not a bad idea, but I think that the host should get the final say regarding the jam's focus.

kyyuan

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2005, 04:21 pm »
Quote from: nuforce
Is NTAJ on August 30?
We can't spare the resource to go there and we don't have any dealer in Texas. Any dealer in Texas want to represent us?
If not, we might be able to consider providing Reference 9 for audition but someone has to take responsibility for it.

Jason

Thanks Jason.  If others/host/Lee aren't able to, I'm happy to take the responsibility for it.  We'll definitely keep you apprised.

Ken

PhilNYC

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2005, 08:21 pm »
Quote from: brj
Wow, I figured the speakers would be the most expensive. That critter must be heavy! .

Yep!  The BC integrated amp weighs in at 49lbs, although you wouldn't expect it given the size of the unit.  The speakers/monitors weight about 20lbs each...

Daniel

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jul 2005, 02:31 am »
I just discovered this thread.  I had to find out what Phil was doing posting south of the Mason-Dixon line.  You're in for a treat.  I spent a lot of time with the Resolution Audio CDP, the BC integrated and the Focus 68's in my living room at various times.  If I were starting fresh I'd buy an all Phil system.  Great stuff--you'll be hearing it yourselves soon enough.  Enjoy!

marvda1

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jul 2005, 02:21 pm »
Hey kyyuan i would more than be happy to STORE your system for you untill you get fully moved in.  i'm sure brian also would be happy to store your system.

marvin

PhilNYC

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jul 2005, 02:41 pm »
Ok, so it sounds like the Blue Circle NSCS integrated is the one that you guys are interested in at this point.  Let me know who I should send it to and when...

Daniel...thanks!

brj

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jul 2005, 06:32 am »
Quote from: arthurs
i'll know more on Monday and will keep everyone apprised.  I'd love to hear my Cary SS Mono's alongside some other amps as well.

So was the bribery successful? :D

arthurs

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2005, 01:01 pm »
I could do something at my place on 8/20 or 27.  We can swap gear in my system in my room which can hold 4 or 5 and if need be set up a second system in the family room, which would take another 4 or 5 listeners.  Let me know.

brj

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2005, 05:37 am »
I could do something at my place on 8/20 or 27.  We can swap gear in my system in my room which can hold 4 or 5 and if need be set up a second system in the family room, which would take another 4 or 5 listeners.  Let me know.

Either day sounds good to me - thanks for offering to host!!

Once you get enough feedback that you can confirm a final date and time, let us know what you want to focus on (speakers, amps, etc.), what you might want people to bring (gear, food, etc.) and if you want help from anyone in coordinating any gear shipping issues from Phil or anyone else.

arthurs

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jul 2005, 12:53 pm »
I'm not really too interested in being responsible for gear being shipped across the country, so if someone else wants to take point on that it would be great.  

I have a buddy that's a local dealer that could bring some Gallo Ref 3's, Halcro amp and processor, JC-1's, the PS Audio GCA 500, Musical Fidelity A-5 and some other things.

I'll start a seperate post after I hear from a few people on this thread what we'd like to focus on for the day....amps?  Speakers?  CDP's?  All?

cryoparts

I'm in
« Reply #33 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:21 pm »
Either day sounds fine, let me know and I'l get with the NuForce guys and arrange shipping.  If you guys don't want to mess with the shipping for anything else, just let me know and I'll take care of it as I have a secure place where everything can be shipped.

NuForce--shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance.

Regards,

Lee

PhilNYC

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:26 pm »
Hey Jammers,

FYI - I just received an email from a customer of mine whose son wants to demo the Focus Audio FS688...he is based in the Dallas area.   I know you guys are interested in the Blue Circle NSCS at the moment...but would you like to coordinate with the FS688's as well?  He would be responsible for the shipping costs back to me, and it would eliminate the need for me to send them down there twice...

Phil

arthurs

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2005, 03:19 pm »
Let's say the 27th is the target date.

Lee - that would be terrific if you could coordinate anything shipped in through you.  Thanks for offering.

So at this point if anyone interested would post or drop me anote, I can start headcount and plan for food, etc.

kyyuan

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jul 2005, 04:22 pm »

Lee - that would be terrific if you could coordinate anything shipped in through you.  Thanks for offering.

So at this point if anyone interested would post or drop me anote, I can start headcount and plan for food, etc.

arthur,

that sounds great.  If I can help with anything, let me know.

brj

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2005, 07:38 pm »

Sounds good, count me in!  When you get a time finalized, let us know.

I agree - if you have a secured receiving area, that would be great.  Thank you!

Let us know what you might want others to bring in the way of gear and/or food.  In terms of gear, I can lug along my BPT 3.5 Sig power conditioner if there is interest.

Guys, can we coordinate a bit on the gear we are looking at?  I think we are already on the way toward exceeding what can be meaningfully listened to in a single afternoon.  So far, we have options for:

Amps:

- Cary CAD500MB
 - Blue Circle NSCS integrated
 - NuForce Ref 8 (9?)
 - Halcro
 - JC-1
 - PS Audio GCA
 - Musical Fidelity A-5

Speakers:

- Dunlavy SC IVA
 - Focus Audio FS688
 - Gallo Reference III

I suspect that I may have missed something, and I know that we have several local manufacturers that might want to get involved in a comparison or two.  I think we might need to pare the list a bit for this session and save some gear for the next one.  (Speaking of which, we now have two potential offers for future jams!)

Feel free to express your preferences, but I think that arthurs, as host, should get final say on the gear list.

Phil, can you let us know how fast we need to return stuff to you?

NuForce (or Lee, by proxy), same question?

Thanks, guys!

PhilNYC

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jul 2005, 08:26 pm »
Quote from: brj
Phil, can you let us know how fast we need to return stuff to you?...

There's no immediate rush to get everything back to me, so if you send the stuff back anytime the week after the Jam, that would be fine.  Of course, if someone likes the BC or Focus enough that they want to audition it in their home after the Jam, that would also be fine... :D

cryoparts

Let Me Know What Is Decided
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2005, 10:20 pm »
Hi guys!

Looks like the 27th is it.

Let me know what  final gear is decided upon and what is coming, or what manufacturers/dealers you need me to contact, or however else I can help.

Looks like we will have some fun toys to play with.  Should I bring some of my power cables this time, or wait until a future get together?  It looks like we will have a full card this time around.

Regards,

Lee